The Monroe Doctrine: Empire and Nation in Nineteenth-Century America

The Monroe Doctrine: Empire and Nation in Nineteenth-Century America

3.52 of 5 stars 3.52  ·  rating details  ·  27 ratings  ·  8 reviews
President James Monroe’s 1823 message to Congress declaring opposition to European colonization in the Western Hemisphere became the cornerstone of nineteenth-century American statecraft. The Monroe Doctrine proclaimed anticolonial principles, yet it rapidly became the myth and means for subsequent generations of politicians to pursue expansionist foreign policies. The cru...more
Paperback, Trade Paperback, 304 pages
Published February 28th 2012 by Farrar, Straus and Giroux (first published March 15th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The Monroe Doctrine, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Monroe Doctrine

Martin Whatwouldthefoundersthink
Jay Sexton’s new book on American expansionism and diplomacy in the 19th Century makes for an interesting study. In a time when most Americans know very little of the history of this interesting piece of political parlance, his book is enlightening and packed with research.

It is a look at a piece of political dogma that far outlived its creators and continued to have an effect on American diplomacy well into the 20th century. Sexton traces its origin in one of Monroe’s “State of the Union” addr...more
Gregory
from http://weeksnotice.blogspot.com/2014/...

Jay Sexton's The Monroe Doctrine: Empire and Nation in Nineteenth Century America (2011) is a good synthesis of the history of the most famous doctrine in U.S.-Latin American relations. It's not exactly new, though I can't think how you would manage to say something genuinely new about it (I wonder, have any hitherto unknown archives yielded any new insights in years?). It's more about what angle to take.

One thing he does that I found interesting was...more
Krystal
The first half was slow and I felt like it was saying the same thing over and over, but the last half was a lot more interesting. Reading a British perspective of the Monroe Doctrine was interesting and made me look at American politics differently.
Jack
A review of key events in the development of the Monroe Doctrine. I'm guessing that all of the essential information included this book can also be found in several older works, particularly Dexter Perkins's classic study of the Doctrine and Samuel Flagg Bemis's survey of U.S.-Latin American relations. But Sexton's book is concise and well-organized, making it an ideal introduction to the subject for those of us (myself included) who aren't ready to look into the books by Perkins, Bemis, et al.
Dan
It's rare that I don't finish a book. I reached somewhere around page 180 and just closed it. I'm surprised I got so far. Sexton is very repetitive and parts of the book read like a quick high school textbook account of history.
Ed Callahan
Good, up-to-date introduction to the Monroe Doctrine's history and geopolitical role.
Blake
Discusses the Monroe doctorine, read it if your interested in the subject
Blake Maddux
A very good book. A damn-near great book.
Nina
Nina marked it as to-read
Aug 02, 2014
Glenn Andersen
Glenn Andersen marked it as to-read
Jul 07, 2014
Jenny
Jenny marked it as to-read
Jun 18, 2014
Wilson Tomba
Wilson Tomba marked it as to-read
Apr 12, 2014
Anna
Anna added it
Dec 27, 2013
Aysun Kızıl
Aysun Kızıl marked it as to-read
Nov 07, 2013
Dave
Dave marked it as to-read
Oct 28, 2013
Catherine
Catherine marked it as to-read
Sep 27, 2013
Adam
Adam marked it as to-read
Aug 08, 2013
Evan
Evan marked it as to-read
May 28, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
Debtor Diplomacy: Finance and American Foreign Relations in the Civil War Era 1837-1873 Monroe Doctrine Debtor Diplomacy: Finance and American Foreign Relations in the Civil War Era, 1837-1873 The Global Lincoln Contemporary China