Start by marking “The Monroe Doctrine: Empire and Nation in Nineteenth-Century America” as Want to Read:
The Monroe Doctrine: Empire and Nation in Nineteenth-Century America

The Monroe Doctrine: Empire and Nation in Nineteenth-Century America

President James Monroe's 1823 message to Congress declaring opposition to European colonization in the Western Hemisphere became the cornerstone of nineteenth-century American statecraft. The Monroe Doctrine proclaimed anticolonial principles, yet it rapidly became the myth and means for subsequent generations of politicians to pursue expansionist foreign policies. The cru ...more
Paperback, Trade Paperback, 304 pages
Published February 28th 2012 by Farrar, Straus and Giroux (first published March 15th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The Monroe Doctrine, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Monroe Doctrine

Martin Whatwouldthefoundersthink
Jay Sexton’s new book on American expansionism and diplomacy in the 19th Century makes for an interesting study. In a time when most Americans know very little of the history of this interesting piece of political parlance, his book is enlightening and packed with research.

It is a look at a piece of political dogma that far outlived its creators and continued to have an effect on American diplomacy well into the 20th century. Sexton traces its origin in one of Monroe’s “State of the Union” addr
Gregory
Jan 04, 2014 Gregory rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
from http://weeksnotice.blogspot.com/2014/...

Jay Sexton's The Monroe Doctrine: Empire and Nation in Nineteenth Century America (2011) is a good synthesis of the history of the most famous doctrine in U.S.-Latin American relations. It's not exactly new, though I can't think how you would manage to say something genuinely new about it (I wonder, have any hitherto unknown archives yielded any new insights in years?). It's more about what angle to take.

One thing he does that I found interesting was
Jack
Jul 24, 2013 Jack rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: u-s-history
A review of key events in the development of the Monroe Doctrine. I'm guessing that all of the essential information included this book can also be found in several older works, particularly Dexter Perkins's classic study of the Doctrine and Samuel Flagg Bemis's survey of U.S.-Latin American relations. But Sexton's book is concise and well-organized, making it an ideal introduction to the subject for those of us (myself included) who aren't ready to look into the books by Perkins, Bemis, et al.
Dan
Nov 02, 2011 Dan rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
It's rare that I don't finish a book. I reached somewhere around page 180 and just closed it. I'm surprised I got so far. Sexton is very repetitive and parts of the book read like a quick high school textbook account of history.
Krystal
The first half was slow and I felt like it was saying the same thing over and over, but the last half was a lot more interesting. Reading a British perspective of the Monroe Doctrine was interesting and made me look at American politics differently.
Blake
Sep 01, 2012 Blake rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Discusses the Monroe doctorine, read it if your interested in the subject
Ed Callahan
Mar 31, 2013 Ed Callahan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good, up-to-date introduction to the Monroe Doctrine's history and geopolitical role.
Blake Maddux
Oct 05, 2011 Blake Maddux rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very good book. A damn-near great book.
Nicholas Martin
Nicholas Martin rated it it was amazing
Dec 17, 2015
Aubrey
Aubrey rated it really liked it
Aug 30, 2014
Dan
Dan rated it it was ok
Feb 21, 2014
Pat
Pat rated it it was ok
Dec 12, 2012
Eddie Walker
Eddie Walker rated it really liked it
May 20, 2013
Zachariah
Zachariah rated it liked it
Sep 24, 2011
Paul
Paul rated it really liked it
Jul 24, 2014
Kaylee
Kaylee rated it really liked it
Jan 17, 2016
Jonathan Tooms
Jonathan Tooms rated it really liked it
Jan 24, 2014
BA Klapper
BA Klapper rated it liked it
Aug 04, 2015
Matt Heiser
Matt Heiser rated it really liked it
Aug 05, 2015
Burrito19
Burrito19 rated it really liked it
Jan 14, 2014
joanna
joanna rated it really liked it
Feb 28, 2012
Sarah Guggenheimer
Sarah Guggenheimer rated it it was amazing
Aug 10, 2014
Ron Kastner
Ron Kastner rated it really liked it
Jul 05, 2013
Mark Lykins
Mark Lykins rated it liked it
May 22, 2012
Bingo Gunter
Bingo Gunter rated it really liked it
Jan 11, 2015
Anthony Bergen
Anthony Bergen rated it really liked it
Jun 21, 2012
Bill Singer
Bill Singer rated it really liked it
Nov 13, 2012
Tyler
Tyler rated it really liked it
Dec 27, 2014