Start by marking “The Rising of the Moon” as Want to Read:
The Rising of the Moon

The Rising of the Moon

Boston, 1916.

Irish immigrant Tom Tracy has nearly everything he's ever wanted—a promising political career as an aide to the city's mayor and the love of a beautiful woman, Rachel Levka. When his lusty cousin, Padraic Starr, arrives from Galway on a mission for the Irish rebellion, Tom's world unravels.

Padraic convinces Tom to return to his homeland to join the cause and a
Published January 31st 2012 by Forge Books (first published 1987)

To ask other readers questions about The Rising of the Moon, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Rising of the Moon

Jim C
Sep 16, 2016 Jim C rated it really liked it
This is a historical fiction novel. In this one, the time setting is around World War I. This tells the story of an Irishman who comes to Boston in search for guns for an uprising. He quickly involves his extended family in this uprising and this uprising will eventually be known as the Easter Rising.

One thing I love about this author's books is I learn history while being entertained and this one was no exception. I had no idea about the Easter Rising until this novel. The characters are strong
Tom
Oct 10, 2013 Tom rated it it was amazing
As usual, a well written William Martin Novel.

In the late 1800's, a man named Jack Tracy stops three men who are plotting to kill Queen Victoria. Two of the conspirators are killed after Jack is Shot, but he does not kill them, the third was Jack's nephew and he, on the advice of his uncle, fled. Jack was tried, convicted and hanged. His wife, and two sons fled to America.

We move ahead a few years, Jack's oldest son Tom is involved in Boston politics, his younger brother Danny, is growing up on
Sally Atwell Williams
William Martin has done it again for me. This is an old book (published in 1987) but his novels captivate my imagination and it is hard to put them down. This book takes place in 1916 in Boston, with the Irsh-Americans, the politics of the day, and a young man called Tom Tracey, whose mother left Ireland in 1900, with her three sons, shortly after her husband died. The story sweeps across the Atlantic Ocean between Ireland and the United States. The history of Ireland and its struggles with ...more
Heather Hall-Martin
Nov 22, 2015 Heather Hall-Martin rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2015
One of his best. Loved the story, invested in the characters and couldn't wait for the ending. Thoroughly enjoyed this book.

William Martin is truly one of the best storytellers ever.
Rick Ludwig
Aug 23, 2012 Rick Ludwig rated it really liked it
I always enjoy reading the books that came along in parallel with the successful series. Rising of the Moon is an excellent read with a number of engaging characters and a stream of action that makes it hard to stop reading. I believe that this came after Back Bay, but before the rest of the Fallon stories. Its depiction of South Boston in 1916 is vivid as are the scenes that take place in Ireland. A lot of complexities make this a satisfying read and the hopelessness of never-ending rounds of ...more
Janellyn51
Aug 25, 2012 Janellyn51 rated it really liked it
I love William Martin's historical fiction. This book was first publislhed in 1987. Coming out of the Irish American household that I did...you'd think I'd know more about the Easter Rising...well, Irish history in general, and really, what I know has been pretty general...So, this is just the kind of book that then had me looking up what actually happened. I liked the characters in this book. It was interesting to read about how an Irishman dating a jewish woman was percieved. Not surprising, ...more
Zack
Jul 07, 2012 Zack rated it liked it
This would've been a great read if it had maintained what it builds up in the first act, but unfortunately, once the action leaves Boston, the story loses steam and suffers major character derailment; Tom and Padraic both become cyphers and Rachel gets annoying as hell (although most of this is thankfully undone in the third act).
Erik
Jan 16, 2012 Erik rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Erik by: Chicke
Not as engaging as the Fallon books I have read (three or four now). It was a pretty good story, but I never got swept up like with the others. I know little of "the troubles," which may have been a bit of the issue, but I thought the Irish-American storyline was interesting. Parts of it had me thinking back to De Mille's Cathedral.
Echo
Oct 02, 2012 Echo rated it liked it
I had some trouble getting through this one. I felt like maybe the author tried to juggle too many characters. I couldn't really bring myself to care about them, and I was often puzzled by their motivation to do things. There were a few instances of them flip-flopping about major decisions with what seemed to be sort of weak reasoning.
It was alright, but I felt like it could have been better.
Rosemary
May 13, 2015 Rosemary rated it really liked it
As the 100 year anniversary of the Easter Rising of 1916 in Ireland is approaching, I enjoyed reading this story of how people felt as they determined their actions and feelings toward rebellion. All of William Martin's books are wonderful!
Ann
Mar 13, 2016 Ann marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
The only William Martin book I haven't been able to get into. A very early one (maybe his first) which might account for the slow start.
Kate Elkind
Oct 06, 2013 Kate Elkind rated it really liked it
Loved this book not only because I am from Boston & love the city, but learned about past history here & in Ireland where my relatives were from. Thrilling read for me.
Kate Donnelly
Aug 06, 2014 Kate Donnelly rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Likeable characters, interesting plot and an Irish setting, what more could an Irish girl want? Hope to try the Fallon series.
Kathy
Jun 26, 2013 Kathy rated it it was amazing
Once again, enjoyable fiction. The Easter Sunday Rising in Ireland. I learned something. Not much changes in politics the fight for freedom.
Linda
Apr 09, 2015 Linda rated it liked it
Should have read it quickly as I was forgetting characters and plot lines. Would have been better 200 fewer pages. Not as good as Back Bay.
Kathrine
started good but was a bit long. at the end there was more detail about the fight than necessary to get to the end of the story
Nick
Nick rated it liked it
Jul 24, 2008
Ann O'connell kelley
Ann O'connell kelley rated it really liked it
Oct 10, 2015
Maryellen
Maryellen rated it really liked it
Apr 11, 2013
Linda Rheault
Linda Rheault rated it really liked it
Jul 27, 2013
Marie
Marie rated it liked it
Feb 11, 2015
Carol Briggs
Carol Briggs rated it it was amazing
Dec 02, 2014
Phil
Phil rated it really liked it
Dec 29, 2012
Brian
Brian rated it it was amazing
Dec 07, 2013
Gregg
Gregg rated it it was amazing
Dec 05, 2012
Gretchen Barron
Gretchen Barron rated it liked it
Jul 23, 2016
Barbara
Barbara rated it really liked it
Apr 06, 2011
Richard Rediker
Richard Rediker rated it liked it
Mar 23, 2016
MaryAnn
MaryAnn rated it it was amazing
Mar 29, 2016
Toni Condron
Toni Condron rated it liked it
Apr 29, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 next »
  • No Moon
  • Honor's Kingdom (Abel Jones, #4)
  • St Agnes' Stand
  • In Revere, In Those Days
  • The Sound of Blue: A Novel
  • Broken Promises
  • Song Of The Silent Harp (Emerald Ballad #1)
  • Jack Absolute  (Jack Absolute, #1)
  • The Last Best League: One Summer, One Season, One Dream
  • Bright Sword of Ireland
  • Otter St. Onge and the Bootleggers: A Tale of Adventure
  • Before
  • Shadows on a Cape Cod Wedding (Antique Print, #6)
  • The Girl with the Botticelli Eyes
  • Ghosts from the Past
  • Robert Frost: A Life
  • Street Soldier: My Life as an Enforcer for Whitey Bulger and the Boston Irish Mob
  • The Season of Open Water
William Martin is a New York Times bestselling author of nine novels. He is best known for his historical fiction, which has chronicled the lives of the great and the anonymous in American history while bringing to life legendary American locations, from Cape Cod to Annapolis. He has also written an award-winning PBS documentary, one of the cheesiest horror movies ever made, magazine articles, and ...more
More about William Martin...