Start by marking “Lonely at the Top: The High Cost of Men's Success” as Want to Read:
Lonely at the Top: The High Cost of Men's Success

Lonely at the Top: The High Cost of Men's Success

3.78  ·  Rating Details  ·  18 Ratings  ·  7 Reviews
Men appear to enjoy many advantages in society-on average they make more money, have more power, and enjoy a greater degree of social freedom than women. But many men pay a high price for the pursuit of success and power. Taking family and friends for granted, men will often let relationships take a back seat to their professional ambitions, only to ultimately find themsel ...more
Published October 25th 2011 by St. Martin's Press

To ask other readers questions about Lonely at the Top, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lonely at the Top

Philski
Jul 05, 2012 Philski rated it really liked it
Quick read.

The book centers around male loneliness. He goes through the various phases of male loneliness, how younger males are "spoiled" by forced relationships in school, then enter a "don't tread on me" phase where they claim independence but in the process sacrifice male friendship (this is where I am), then a phase where they are motivated by success/money/providing for the family, then the last phase is "lonely at the top" where they have the family, they are secure, but they are lonely i
Ariadna73
Dec 11, 2014 Ariadna73 rated it liked it
Shelves: essay
Check out my review in Spanish: http://lunairereadings.blogspot.com/2...
This books tries to explain why men are more inclined to feel lonely at the end of their lives. It basically says that men are naturally less prone to cultivate or value the relationships they have; and when they start thinking about it; they are already very old to build new ones; so almost always they reach the end of their lives feeling lonely (even when they are surrounded by family members). This is though to read; beca
Sydney
Jul 30, 2016 Sydney added it
Upon reading this book, I basically told my husband he better go golfing. Now! A super insightful look at the loneliness many men experience--based on solid research. I read it for research for a character I'm writing, but I think it will help me with the men in my life forever!
Pat Friel
Dec 09, 2012 Pat Friel rated it really liked it
I really liked this book. Expecting a book about achievement and personal improvement I instead found a far more important message in Thomas Joiner's book - it is lonely at the top and loneliness kills men!

Using a combination of research, examination of popular culture and history Joiner does a very good job at describing the challenges and threats that loneliness causes as men age. I was left with significant food for thought!
Andrew
Oct 11, 2012 Andrew is currently reading it
Dr Thomas Joiner is key speaker at todays Annual National Suicide Prevention Conference 2012 - Innovation in Suicide Prevention – Bringing it Together Crowne Plaza, Coogee Beach Sydney. A fantastic book with very important information for all of us.
Sanju
Mar 15, 2013 Sanju rated it really liked it
This book was thought-provoking, but also very concerning because as I read it, I felt like it was describing many men I know and even some women. I highly recommend it as a commentary on our increasingly isolated lives.
Heather
Lonely at the Top: The High Cost of Men's Succes by Thomas Joiner, PhD This was a very interesting and enlightening book. For the full review, click on the title.
Jordan Brown
Jordan Brown marked it as to-read
Apr 18, 2016
Marina
Marina rated it it was amazing
Apr 16, 2016
Randy King
Randy King marked it as to-read
Feb 21, 2016
Ted
Ted marked it as to-read
Feb 17, 2016
Adam
Adam marked it as to-read
Feb 12, 2016
Mitchell Bernard
Mitchell Bernard rated it it was ok
Feb 12, 2016
Andrew
Andrew marked it as to-read
Feb 01, 2016
Dean Smith
Dean Smith rated it liked it
Jan 13, 2016
Iedo Radityo
Iedo Radityo marked it as to-read
Dec 27, 2015
Mike
Mike marked it as to-read
Nov 27, 2015
Jeniffer Abdullah
Jeniffer Abdullah marked it as to-read
Oct 27, 2015
Victoria
Victoria marked it as to-read
Oct 11, 2015
Douglas Chia
Douglas Chia rated it it was ok
Aug 19, 2015
Rayne
Rayne added it
Oct 02, 2015
Ben Doyle
Ben Doyle rated it really liked it
Jul 25, 2015
Christopher
Christopher rated it it was amazing
Jun 22, 2015
Rhodabrew
Rhodabrew marked it as to-read
Jun 13, 2015
Brady Holmer
Brady Holmer marked it as to-read
Jun 08, 2015
Risto Saarelma
Risto Saarelma marked it as to-read
May 17, 2015
Dan Burns
Dan Burns marked it as to-read
Apr 29, 2015
Lorin Middelthon
Lorin Middelthon is currently reading it
Mar 18, 2015
G
G marked it as to-read
Mar 08, 2015
« previous 1 3 next »
Joiner, Thomas.
Joiner, Thomas E.
Joiner, Thomas E. Jr

Thomas Joiner is an American academic psychologist and leading expert on suicide. He is the Robert O. Lawton Professor of Psychology at Florida State University, where he operates his Laboratory for the Study of the Psychology and Neurobiology of Mood Disorders, Suicide, and Related Conditions. Joiner holds a Ph.D. from the University of Texas at
More about Thomas Joiner...