Start by marking “The Art of the Pitch: Persuasion and Presentation Skills that Win Business” as Want to Read:
The Art of the Pitch: Persuasion and Presentation Skills that Win Business

The Art of the Pitch: Persuasion and Presentation Skills that Win Business

3.86 of 5 stars 3.86  ·  rating details  ·  168 ratings  ·  30 reviews
Occasionally, a great idea will sell itself. The other 99% of the time, you have to find a way to persuade others that it is, in fact, a great idea. Most executives spend the vast majority of their time creating their work, and almost no time on the presentation. Through an engaging and humorous narrative, Peter Coughter presents the tools he designed to help advertising a ...more
Published January 3rd 2012 by Palgrave Macmillan

To ask other readers questions about The Art of the Pitch, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Art of the Pitch

The Presentation Secrets of Steve Jobs by Carmine GalloTake a Stand for Your Brand by Tim WilliamsBusiness Success Secrets, Principles, Formulas & Ethos by Daryl UrbanskiAncient Secrets Of Lead Generation by Daryl UrbanskiPrimitive Business Tools For Success by Daryl Urbanski
Ad Agency New Business
8th out of 16 books — 3 voters
Zero to One by Peter ThielEquating the Equations of Insanity by Durgesh SatpathyThe Lean Startup by Eric RiesYour Leadership Edge by Ravinder TulsianiSteve Jobs by Walter Isaacson
Recommended Books for Startups
59th out of 70 books — 57 voters

More lists with this book...

Rick
Mar 06, 2012 Rick rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2012
This was a great book for anyone who needs to get better at presenting, in any industry, but especially the advertising industry. I recommended it last night to a young tech CEO friend of mine. The one thing is I wish it talked more about leave behinds vs. presentations, and presentations that go up onto the web later, like on Slideshare. Peter once saw me present, and told me I had too many words on my slides, AND HE WAS TOTALLY RIGHT, but I had to put all those words on there so the deck made ...more
Tahira Mursleen
Honestly, I found this book talking about the same concepts that have been chanted to me as I grew up.However, the reason why I found this book so interesting was the fact that it taught me these same concepts in a way that made me listen. The book was repetitive, but I was engulfed by the way the author wrote his opinion and by his real world examples. It accomplished something I didn't realize until I got to the end. The book was able to pitch me the same concept, in its own way. It was differ ...more
Rafsan Ahmed
The Art of the Pitch was a delight to read. It makes a very clear, precise point, with some fantastic real-life examples. My opinion is of-course biased, as I am naturally drawn to the world of advertising.

It sometimes makes the point in a repetitive fashion, but this is partly attributed to the fact that the art of the pitch is something that needs to be practiced. See this merely as a tool to perfect the art, rather than expecting to be great at advertising by reading this book alone.

My favori
Yulenka
Great book, really interesting insights. I did find it repetitive, to the point where I felt like I had previously read entire sentences. But aside from that, it offered some good advice which really applies to advertising and presenting in general.
Troy
Every successful business man or woman has had to learn the fundamental concepts of 'The Art of the Pitch' in someway or another in their career. Whether it's pitching your employees on a new concept or process, persuading a client to 'go big' and give you their entire budget, convincing friends and family to go on a trip, or even debating with co-workers or loved ones in the realm of life, love, sport or business. Truly grasping the understanding of how to deliver a rock solid pitch can make th ...more
Joseph Raffetto
I read this for my work at an ad agency, but it's an excellent resource for anyone who gives presentations and competes to sell their services. It's focused on agencies, but there are many great tips for anyone who is interested in improving their presentation skills.
Robbie Zettler
Focuses on the way to improve the pitch and to persuade others into buying into your idea. Not necessarily tangible ideas, but overarching themes to be followed in order to engage the audience into full participation. Simple concepts from telling stories and "read"punctuation" (aka take a beat every once in awhile), to more difficult ways to engage the room via authenticity and being yourself. There is no reason to attempt to emulate someone else or be "professional" because that is not what is ...more
Peter House
Fantastic read. Engaging, persuasive, and memorable. The book is written in a way that made me lose a sense of time while reading it. Good stories with lessons sandwiched in between can do that. I would highly recommend this book to anyone who needs to pitch.
Lauren M Staun
Easy and important read

Great book for anyone wanting tips on being a more effective presenter no matter the experience level. Simple and to the point.
Trang Ngo
Ý thì cũng được dù mình cũng biết kha khá. Tuy nhiên, vừa đọc mình vừa có cảm giác tác giả phải cố gắng kể những chuyện dông dài để số lượng chữ đủ nhiều để thành một cuốn sách.
Dave Perks
If a good bit of your livelihood involves pitching ideas, making presentations or selling anything, you need this book.

Peter Coughter is as good as they come whether he's in front of a room working to win new business or with a small group teaching them how to do it. Secretly I hope that no one else reads this book once I'm done with it because I've got a lot more new business to go out and win as we build this young agency I'm working for.

It's a quick read and some of the stories are just fant
Thomas
Much like the author himself, the Art of the Pitch is an expert and amicable authority on how to be winningly memorable. Even if your professional life doesn't involve actually standing up in front of a group of people, you sell yourself everyday. And whether you're selling widgets or quarterly numbers or why you deserve a raise, Peter's book offers guidance and anecdotes that can help even the most timid glossophobe improve his presentation skills.
Chris
Written with personality and filled with good advice on presentations, meetings, persuasive speaking, and selling your ideas. Peppered with great anecdotes from many of the leading lights of the advertising world, telling their tales of epic wins and occasional defeats. Like most business books I've read, it gets repetitive and could have been shorter. However, I've seen much worse, and this was not a bad read.
Sergio GRANDE films
In a world overflowing with self-help, how-to, DIY and "insightful" lightbulb books, this is a supernova.
Forget trite Ogilvy and Hegarty scribbles. This is the real deal.

Thank you Mr. Coughter for sharing so much knowledge.

PS: If you work in advertising and haven't read this book, GREAT! Don't read it. We don't need any more effective competition.
강민 이
I chose to read this book before I took a course, being one of the recommended books from the professor.

It just opened my eyes to new methods of presentation.
I always felt that there would be some book out there to teach me the art or presentation
and this book is the best I know till now.

If there are any recommendations let me know!!
Adrian Vaco
I liked the book overall, but I will say that between 60 and 70% of the material is what you have learned in your college speech class. There is a 20 to 30% material that is really good advice and then there are the stories of the great pitches that make the whole book worth your while.

Sara
The bible of public speaking. Essential reading for anyone who wants to sell ideas, tell stories, win arguments, sound like an expert, etc. And when you're the one in the audience, you'll never be able to watch a presentation/pitch/speech the same way again without referencing this book.
Judd
Dec 05, 2013 Judd rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2013
Good book. Entertaining read and insightful. If you hate presenting, this will help. If you like it and are good at it, this will make you better and help you teach others. The stories in the chapters are a great way to break up the "lessons" and make it an engaging read.
Alan Kercinik
Whether you are forced to use PowerPoint or Keynote or some other bit of theatre in your day to day life or not, this is worth a read. Because what Coughter is talking about is how to present yourself and how to be in the world. The best business book I've read this year.
Taylor Laughlin
This book was amazing for anyone who wants to be reminded/needs help improving their presentations. If the advice followed from this book is used more business will be won.

This is a must own for all in the Advertising industry
Nick
A simple, straightforward discussion of the tried-aand-true basics of presentations. There's nothing wrong here to get you started giving good presentations. There's also nothing new. Not for advanced speakers.
Daniel Fell
Good book. I found myself highlighting a lot of the digital pages and plan to go back through my notes. I'm sure I learned some good tricks and it made me rethink how I present.
Shannon
Not only is this book an easy and enjoyable read, it sets the tone of confidence during and after each page. Really impressed with the real-life examples throughout as well.
Nicolás Díaz
Some truisms and neat stories here and there but chapters are uneven in quality. Some have interesting insights but others are pretty obvious stuff repeated yet again.
Kevin Daley
Good advice. Read it before you make someone suffer through what we've all experienced.... Bad, boring presentations.
Umar Ghumman
Common sense is not very common. Great book to understand that how important humility and passion is.
Neil Dougherty
Really enjoyed Peter's insights and the anecdotes from some of the industry's big names. A productive read.
Stanley
"Who you really are is far more interesting than who you think they want to believe you are."
Jugar1111
Gran libro para los que trabajamos en la publicidad y con consejos muy buenos.
Jin
Mar 11, 2012 Jin rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: bought
Must read for anyone who wants to get better at presenting.
  • Getting to Plan B: Breaking Through to a Better Business Model
  • Perfect Pitch: The Art of Selling Ideas and Winning New Business
  • Adland: Searching for the Meaning of Life on a Branded Planet
  • Hey, Whipple, Squeeze This: A Guide to Creating Great Ads
  • The Anatomy of Buzz Revisited: Real-life lessons in Word-of-Mouth Marketing
  • The Art of Client Service, Revised and Updated Edition: 58 Things Every Advertising & Marketing Professional Should Know
  • Traction: A Startup Guide to Getting Customers
  • Pitch Anything: An Innovative Method for Presenting, Persuading, and Winning the Deal
  • Ctrl Alt Delete: Reboot Your Business. Reboot Your Life. Your Future Depends on It.
  • Are Your Lights On?: How to Figure Out What the Problem Really is
  • Start Small, Stay Small: A Developer's Guide to Launching a Startup
  • The Startup Game: Inside the Partnership between Venture Capitalists and Entrepreneurs
  • Startupland: How Three Guys Risked Everything to Turn an Idea Into a Global Business
  • Your Best Just Got Better: Work Smarter, Think Bigger, Make More
  • Undercover User Experience: Learn How to Do Great UX Work with Tiny Budgets, No Time, and Limited Support
  • Advertising Secrets of the Written Word: The Ultimate Resource on How to Write Powerful Advertising Copy from One of America's Top Copywriters and Mail Order Entrepreneurs
  • Revising Prose
  • Likeable Business: Why Today's Consumers Demand More and How Leaders Can Deliver

“things—Feeling Safe, Being Right, Feeling Good, and Looking Good. If any of these conditions are challenged, we become fearful.” 1 likes
“But it’s not because we’re afraid to fail. It’s because we’re afraid that we’ll succeed. That is what truly terrifies us.” 1 likes