Start by marking “Ordained Irreverence (Elmo Jenkins #1)” as Want to Read:
Ordained Irreverence (Elmo Jenkins #1)

Ordained Irreverence (Elmo Jenkins #1)

3.83  ·  Rating Details  ·  839 Ratings  ·  122 Reviews
Ordained Irreverence is a very funny novel about a young church intern named Elmo Jenkins who's learning the ropes in a big downtown church. It's loaded with humorous, awkward, and even touching stories, many of which were inspired by the author's own experiences. The cast of characters filling the pews at First Church keep Elmo on his toes and more than a little bewildere ...more
Published August 1st 2011 by OBT Bookz

To ask other readers questions about Ordained Irreverence, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ordained Irreverence

Barbara
Jun 21, 2013 Barbara rated it liked it
This is a cute book to read in small spurts. There is no strong plot line that you might forget if you put the book down for awhile. But it is an interesting read into the inner workings of a large church. I liked the way the author made the main character seem very real. Many ministers-in-the making may come across as very righteous. Not Elmo. He's very down to earth and amusing. I'm sure there's a lot of truth to what is written here, but don't take it too seriously. It's a good, fun book. I g ...more
Heidi Peltier
Jul 17, 2013 Heidi Peltier rated it really liked it
Oh my goodness! This book was so much fun to read! It's all about a graduating seminary student, Elmo Jenkins, and his final step toward finishing his education - the internship. A chance meeting lands him a position in one of those big, almost mega-churches where there's a minister for everything from youth to seniors to dust bunnies (ok, not really). Elmo encounters just about every glitch you can think of that a minister might have and more! And he handles it in true Elmo style, but you can o ...more
David Kemp
Mar 12, 2013 David Kemp rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction
Actually I have not read this book: I listened to it. Sonja read it to me during our recent vacation travels. We both enjoyed it very much. Matter of fact, we enjoyed it so much that we brought the second book in the series and Sonja has started reading it to me. I recommend "Elmo's adventures" to anyone and especially those that are involved in fulltime ministry.
Bill Tillman
This is an endearing book, its full of fact as well as fiction. The Black Toe mystery is one fantastic subplot worth not missing. Hard to put down with gentle humor and the life of a big church.
John
Jan 20, 2015 John rated it really liked it
Well this book surprised me. I don't remember when I got this, but I was under the impression it was a humorous Christian detective story.

Non-spoiler: It's not.

Elmo is a seminary student doing an internship, and these are some of the experiences he had doing so. I really enjoyed it. The author doesn't veer to either extreme in showing life at a church made of real imperfect people.

I'll definitely be picking up book two.
Norma Budden
Feb 19, 2012 Norma Budden rated it really liked it
I read this book in stages. It was the type of book I could relax and enjoy without feeling I needed to read it all in one sitting.

The book was written in episodes, detailing a pastor's life in a big church, and the people and situations he encountered along the way. I laughed a lot at the author's sense of humor, as told from the perspective of the major character, Elmo Jenkins. It was a refreshing read and is great for when you want to read but don't want to worry about losing precious hours
L.T. Fawkes
Aug 07, 2012 L.T. Fawkes rated it really liked it
McMillan Moody, $2.99 **** Guess what. You can be funny and entertaining without getting dirty. Moody does it in this terrific novel about a young pre-minister who gets his first job working as an intern in a big, prestigious church. Filled with funny characters and anecdotes.

Guess what else. You can talk about matters like faith and church without getting pompous, strident, or bombastic. Moody makes it look easy.

Guess what else. I think that's the first time I've ever actually used the word b
Tracey Chananie
Oct 04, 2015 Tracey Chananie rated it liked it
The 1st in the Elmo Jenkins series, but also can be read as a stand alone. Some good laughs, wacky sotuations and a good story - glad I read it!

"Elmo Jenkins is about to graduate from seminary with a masters degree in religious education and a minor in cynicism. When he lands an internship at a large metropolitan church, he quite literally stumbles his way through as he learns to baptize and bury, visit and marry the faithful flock. Think Ferris Bueller Goes to Church with a side of Holden Caulf
Lisa
Dec 09, 2015 Lisa rated it liked it
Third year seminarian Ellington "Elmo" Jenkins just needs to complete a six-month internship, and he'll graduate with his master's degree. Perhaps by kismet, he bumps into one of the senior leaders at First Church at a function, and that's where the ball starts rolling.

I read #3 first, so I was a bit lost as to the relationships between the characters. This one (#1 in the series) introduces the rest of the staff of First Church. There's really no mystery or anything going in in the background (u
David
Apr 04, 2013 David rated it really liked it
I picked this up as a freebie on Amazon for Kindle. I am very thankful I did, it is a great story about a third year seminarian doing a 6 month internship at a Mega-Church. Well written, good character development and a fun story. The ministry incidents are great and anyone in ministry will find themselves laughing remembering their first time encountering some of the same things
Ed
Apr 26, 2016 Ed rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"Ordained Irreverence" is the first book in the Elmo Jenkins series. Elmo Jenkins is a nice, amiable, and amusing guy who's managed to get picked for a 6-month intern gig with the largest church in town as part of his seminary's Masters degree requirements. Elmo's not totally sure what he wants to do after he's graduated as a minister. Luckily, his job as an intern shows him a lot of what goes on at a large church. He gets to do his first burial service, first baptism(s), learns how to handle ho ...more
Karen M. Jarrett
What a surprising read

I have to say when I started, I wondered why did I order this book? It was not my typical read. I thought I would read a couple of pages, and quietly deleted it from my reader. Once I started I was hooked. The writing was great, I fell in love with the characters, story, and couldn't wait to see how it turned out. I enjoyed that the writer poked fun at some of our characters you find in most any congregation, while loving them anyway. I will definitely read the others in t
Lisa C.
Aug 30, 2014 Lisa C. rated it liked it
I just finished two books back to back that were pretty intense so this was a refreshing palate cleanser. The book didn't really have a plot, but it was rather a collection of situations and stories of an intern from a mega church. It was funny at times, but moved pretty slowly, especially if you were expecting something exciting to happen. I liked his and Bonnie's story but thought the black toe mystery was weird, at best. There was absolutely no preaching and I thought there would have been mo ...more
Glenda Manus
Aug 31, 2015 Glenda Manus rated it really liked it
I got off to a slow start with this book because I was trying to read another book at the same time. But I picked it back up again and was glad I did. Elmo Jenkins is doing an internship at a large church in order to graduate from seminary. With a name like Elmo, how could he avoid Sesame Street jokes, especially when one of the secretaries at the church is Miss Fhiggye. It's a fun book filled with humor and reveals the inner workings, politics, and thankfully, the Holy Spirit found in churches ...more
Donald
Jan 30, 2016 Donald rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyable read. If you are serving on a church staff or ever have....you'll identify with the stories. Told with humor, yet with an underlying theme of 'is what we're doing really matter' you follow the lead character as he finds his way in the Will of God. I found myself remembering episodes from my own time as a church staff member & Pastor.

It's light, not heavy but you may find yourself asking, "Is what I'm doing really relevant?" The 'mystery' the weaves throughout the book is a fun jou
wally
Feb 21, 2012 wally rated it liked it
Shelves: moody
This will be the 1st from Moody for me...saw it here...looks promising. Looks to be an eye-narrator account, guy name of Ellington Jenkins (I think he goes by Elmo) is a student learning how to be a pastor and he just met Tom Applebee who is telling him about an internship at First Church.

Story actually begins:

As one of the 457 ministerial wannabes suffering through the righteous rigors at Harvest Morgan Seminary, I had not distinguished myself as an academician or a theologian.

Oui! Boy howdy! I
Jan Mcleod
Apr 13, 2016 Jan Mcleod rated it liked it
Before Elmo graduates from seminary, he is required to do a six months internship at a local church.
He is granted an internship at at very large, rich, prestigous church downtown. It was a real eye-opener for Elmo regarding the inner workings of the church as well as the staff. He started out quite cynical about the modern church, but along the way, learning a great deal about ministry and depending upon the Lord, he finds hope.
He also finds Bonnie!
It was a light, but interesting read.
Lois
Aug 10, 2015 Lois rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Good for Humor in Ministry

Well written and edited - professionally done. I enjoyed this picture of ministry and seeing that someone knows that real ministry must be open to seeing the humor in life or you'll not succeed. Thoroughly enjoyed his play on names and the characters he fleshed out. Just a few loose ends (one being what happens to Thurm girlfriend issue), but I assume these will be tired up in the next volume.
Helen Tawney
Sep 17, 2015 Helen Tawney rated it it was amazing
I picked this book from book bub as a free book, looked interesting. I really enjoyed it. Elmo is funny, yet serious about learning his duties as the new church intern. A lot of good interesting characters, plus a little insight into the working of the church and the staff. I had to get the next 2 books. They are not cliffhanger books, but you enjoy them so much you may want to read on
Hsgramof4
Aug 21, 2015 Hsgramof4 rated it really liked it
This is the first book I have read by McMillian Moody. I enjoyed this book and plan on reading more by this author. It is an easy, conversational style read that I looked forward to after hectic days. There is a small mystery involved that I personally thought could have been left out, but despite my lack of interest in that aspect of the story line I enjoyed this read.
Debra Torgerson
Mar 04, 2015 Debra Torgerson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Become the kind of container GOd can use ...to present gifts to his guests...2Tim2:21Msg

I enjoyed this book and characters. See how Elmo grows from a seminary student to intern at a large Church How his doubts change to a positive outlook. I like the variety of characters . A fun easy read. I will read more by this author and would recommend to others.
Mhines11
Feb 05, 2014 Mhines11 rated it really liked it
This was a very fun book to read. It was light, easy to put down, easy to pick back up. There was a lot of humor as Elmo's character was developed from a cynical seminarian to one who saw God's hand working in flawed organizations and flawed people. There was some predictability in the story, but enough surprises to keep it entertaining. Now I'm ready to read book 2.
Jan
Sep 02, 2015 Jan rated it liked it
A seminary student finishes his final semester as an intern at a Baptist style evangelical church. This book isn't preachy, rather it's a look at the inner workings of a successful big-box church, with a cast of characters who are believable and a story line that is truer than you might guess! An enjoyable read for me, as well as a trip down memory lane.
Gwendolyn Carter
Funny but true

This book chronicles the internship of a seminary student just beginning his taste of full time ministry. The book is funny on its own, but is hilarious to anyone who has ever had a taste of the inner workings of a church (unique parishioners, long hours, is that really in my job description,...). The extra Black Toe Enigma mystery added an extra layer of interest to the story.
Melinda Richmond
Fun and uplifting story

This was a really fun story to read! I loved all the characters and the way they interacted. Quite humorous at times, and touching at others. As a pastor's kid, I grew up in the church, so the spiritual aspects thread throughout the book didn't bother me. In fact, at many times they had me shaking my head in agreement. This was a book I would definitely enjoy reading again.
Carol and Gary Curtis
Excellent story. I'm not a fan of books with a religious base and this was about a minister in training. Go figure! The "God" feature didn't interfere with the story at all. The author did great job with the characters and the series of experiences was top notch. I'll start the sequel as soon as my wife finishes it.
Jessica Riddoch
Jan 31, 2015 Jessica Riddoch rated it it was amazing
One of the problems with a kindle is that you cannot give a quick flip to the blurb so I was wondering why I had chosen a book where a minister at one of those big american churches is the main character. However this book gripped me from the start. Elmo the main character is very likeable and I really felt that I knew him by the end of the book. I will admit that the story line was not all that exciting but I had a really good read.
Gottesburen
Jul 25, 2014 Gottesburen rated it it was amazing
Surprising

Surprising

This is not normally a subject I would read and I don't even know how I ended up with this e-book but I did read it and was pleasantly surprised by how much I enjoyed the story telling. I fell in love with the unassuming main character. Excellent job of writing.
Dona R. Gant
Feb 02, 2016 Dona R. Gant rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good bedtime read

Not a blazing page turner, but a good book that will let you sleep peacefully while maybe even chuckling over something you've read. The characters are believable and you end up realizing that most likely they are like people you know or have known. I enjoyed the book very much.
Linda
Sep 20, 2014 Linda rated it really liked it
Different kind of Christian book

Most of the Christian books I read are basically romance. This one isn't, though there is a romance going on! I enjoyed this book. It was a fun read and I had many chuckles! I love the Elmo character! He seems down-to-earth. And, I love the ending! Looking forward to reading the next Elmo Jenkins book.
  • The Search Committee
  • Runaway Choices
  • I Shall Not Want (The Psalm 23 Mysteries, #2)
  • The Glory of Green (Green #3)
  • Crispens Point
  • Blue Like Elvis (Moody Blue, #2)
  • Infinitely More
  • Glorious Mess: Encountering God's Relentless Grace for Imperfect People
  • The Master's Wall (Iron & the Stone #1)
  • Highland Sanctuary (Highlands #2)
  • Game Plan for Life: Your Personal Playbook for Success
  • Hazardous Duty
  • Watermelon Days and Firefly Nights: Heartwarming Scenes from Small Town Life
  • The Narrow Path
  • Chocolate Beach (Chocolate Series #1)
  • Walking on Broken Glass
  • Blame It On The Mistletoe (Bright's Pond #4)
  • Thy Kingdom Come
McMillian Moody lives quietly, in the rolling hills of central Tennessee with his wife, celebrated author Diane Moody, and Darby the wonder dog.
More about McMillian Moody...

Elmo Jenkins (4 books)
  • Some Things Never Change (Elmo Jenkins #2)
  • The Old Man and the Tea (Elmo Jenkins, #3)
  • A Tale of Two Elmos (Elmo Jenkins #4)

“In a well-furnished kitchen, there are not only crystal goblets and silver platters, but waste cans and compost buckets—some containers used to serve fine meals, others to take out the garbage. Become the kind of container God can use to present any and every kind of gift to his guests for their blessing.  2 Timothy 2:20-21 (MSG)” 0 likes
“sam-a-gis” 0 likes