Ordained Irreverence (Elmo Jenkins #1)

Ordained Irreverence (Elmo Jenkins #1)

3.76 of 5 stars 3.76  ·  rating details  ·  276 ratings  ·  59 reviews
Ordained Irreverence is a very funny novel about a young church intern named Elmo Jenkins who's learning the ropes in a big downtown church. It's loaded with humorous, awkward, and even touching stories, many of which were inspired by the author's own experiences. The cast of characters filling the pews at First Church keep Elmo on his toes and more than a little bewildere...more
Published August 1st 2011 by OBT Bookz

To ask other readers questions about Ordained Irreverence, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ordained Irreverence

David Kemp
Actually I have not read this book: I listened to it. Sonja read it to me during our recent vacation travels. We both enjoyed it very much. Matter of fact, we enjoyed it so much that we brought the second book in the series and Sonja has started reading it to me. I recommend "Elmo's adventures" to anyone and especially those that are involved in fulltime ministry.
Bill Tillman
This is an endearing book, its full of fact as well as fiction. The Black Toe mystery is one fantastic subplot worth not missing. Hard to put down with gentle humor and the life of a big church.
Barbara
This is a cute book to read in small spurts. There is no strong plot line that you might forget if you put the book down for awhile. But it is an interesting read into the inner workings of a large church. I liked the way the author made the main character seem very real. Many ministers-in-the making may come across as very righteous. Not Elmo. He's very down to earth and amusing. I'm sure there's a lot of truth to what is written here, but don't take it too seriously. It's a good, fun book. I g...more
wally
Feb 21, 2012 wally rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: moody
This will be the 1st from Moody for me...saw it here...looks promising. Looks to be an eye-narrator account, guy name of Ellington Jenkins (I think he goes by Elmo) is a student learning how to be a pastor and he just met Tom Applebee who is telling him about an internship at First Church.

Story actually begins:

As one of the 457 ministerial wannabes suffering through the righteous rigors at Harvest Morgan Seminary, I had not distinguished myself as an academician or a theologian.

Oui! Boy howdy! I...more
Heidi Peltier
Oh my goodness! This book was so much fun to read! It's all about a graduating seminary student, Elmo Jenkins, and his final step toward finishing his education - the internship. A chance meeting lands him a position in one of those big, almost mega-churches where there's a minister for everything from youth to seniors to dust bunnies (ok, not really). Elmo encounters just about every glitch you can think of that a minister might have and more! And he handles it in true Elmo style, but you can o...more
Mhines11
This was a very fun book to read. It was light, easy to put down, easy to pick back up. There was a lot of humor as Elmo's character was developed from a cynical seminarian to one who saw God's hand working in flawed organizations and flawed people. There was some predictability in the story, but enough surprises to keep it entertaining. Now I'm ready to read book 2.
Gottesburen
Surprising

Surprising

This is not normally a subject I would read and I don't even know how I ended up with this e-book but I did read it and was pleasantly surprised by how much I enjoyed the story telling. I fell in love with the unassuming main character. Excellent job of writing.
patsy essenmacher
Review

Review

I found this to be a clever, quick read, doesn't go too deep, don't have to think to hard, kind of like a tv sitcome. It had some laugh-out-loud funny moments and I liked the ending.
Roberta Brosius
As a recovering pastor's wife, I really enjoyed this humorous insider's look at a seminary intern's stint at an unwieldy megachurch. It's mostly fun with a little bit of a silly mystery added, but a few all too real events sober it up.
Mariv
First I have to break Rule#2! Great book! The things that locked me in this book are writing style and humor. During first several pages I laughed so much that I had to wipe my wet eyes. I was smiling from first page to the last. I enjoy reading very much because of the style although at first I was skeptic about the theme. During second part of this book I remembered from where the style-feeling is coming from; Sue Townsends books of Adrian Mole. Couple of decades ago I loved those books. Book...more
Rebecca King
I got this book as a freebie on the Kindle. I loved this book and when I finished I couldn't wait to read the next! I work at and am a member of a small baptist church and saw so many things I could relate to our church in his story. He is a wonderful author and I felt like I was right there in the story. Even though it is fiction I learned some things that I can put to use in my work and in our ministry. I even strongly recommended it to our pastor and his wife. Great job Mr. Moody!
Stephanie Seawright
This was a really great read. Very witty! As an avid worker inthe church I found the characters very relatable and the situations familiar to the things going on in my church. I loved it. Starting on book #2 of the trilogy now!
Norma Budden
I read this book in stages. It was the type of book I could relax and enjoy without feeling I needed to read it all in one sitting.

The book was written in episodes, detailing a pastor's life in a big church, and the people and situations he encountered along the way. I laughed a lot at the author's sense of humor, as told from the perspective of the major character, Elmo Jenkins. It was a refreshing read and is great for when you want to read but don't want to worry about losing precious hours...more
Susan May
This was a cute read. I loved Elmo. His character was great. Some of the other characters didn't do much for me. I felt this book jumped around a lot. Overall, I mostly enjoyed it.
L.T. Fawkes
McMillan Moody, $2.99 **** Guess what. You can be funny and entertaining without getting dirty. Moody does it in this terrific novel about a young pre-minister who gets his first job working as an intern in a big, prestigious church. Filled with funny characters and anecdotes.

Guess what else. You can talk about matters like faith and church without getting pompous, strident, or bombastic. Moody makes it look easy.

Guess what else. I think that's the first time I've ever actually used the word b...more
Mary Pierce
very light and very well written.
Dona
I give it one star because the author did tell the story without profanity. I know it was supposed to be humorous but I was appalled at the waste shown by a megachurch. I suspect that the author was writing about what he knows and I could only think that I have made a great choice in choosing a small church that teaches: It is not about religion it is the Relationship with Christ that is most important. What any missionary or small church would do with only the cost of one small van to further G...more
Liz Keegans
Quick, easy read but not really my genre. Elmo was a likable character, the author did a good job developing him but the overall story lacked a bit of substance. Maybe I got caught up in in one of the character's statements about "being careful" at First Christ but nothing really developed. I'm not sure how Elmo's dream about the wall and the kids overnighter really tied into the story; although I read this book in bits & pieces so maybe I didn't tie everything together. Overall, a good read...more
Margo
Entertaining and chuckle-worthy at times. Elmo is a seminarian interning at “First Church,” a very large and probably Baptist institution of some antiquity. There's no huge plot here, but the characters are interesting and the behind-the-scenes-at-church stuff can be funny. (The description of the sermon clock and the effort to abide by it had me rolling on the floor.) The faith elements are there by not heavy-handed. I will probably look for the next installment.
Emma
Dec 02, 2013 Emma rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2013
I happened across this for free on the Book Bubs site and was enchanted! A very tongue in cheek story about a young man's intern-ship in a super church as he finishes his theology degree and the interesting folk he found there.

Had solved the big mystery that threads through it pretty much at the start but that is too many years of Mystery reading kicking in and it did not affect my enjoyment at all.

Will definitely seek out the other books in this series.
Arthur O'dell
A warm-hearted, solidly written tale of a seminarian's six-month internship at a Protestant (seemingly Baptist) megachurch. The style is episodic and anecdotal, which may frustrate readers looking for a strong, central plot. I also found the humor to be more of the soft chuckle variety rather than laugh out loud funny, but the book is a humorous, slightly satirical take on modern ministry life in 21st century America.
David
I picked this up as a freebie on Amazon for Kindle. I am very thankful I did, it is a great story about a third year seminarian doing a 6 month internship at a Mega-Church. Well written, good character development and a fun story. The ministry incidents are great and anyone in ministry will find themselves laughing remembering their first time encountering some of the same things
Laural
Just a fun read about a young new man in the ministry. I laughed a lot. That always makes a good book for me.
Marliss
This is a cute book. I enjoyed reading it. It reads like a letter home, so if you are looking for something more than fun anecdotes, this is not it. It's a good fit for those long airplane rides when you want entertainment without having to think too much. Although the leather briefcase comment did take me a minute to figure out.
Mary Beth
This is a cute novel telling the story of a young man doing his ministry internsthip in a big church. The sense of humor, as shown from the perspective of the intern made for fun, light, reading. I never really thought about it, but it must be a daunting thing to learn to marry, bury, amd baptize people for the first time.
Jen
Light humorous read having grown up in the church and spending a lot of time with internal...enjoyed the book and the characters. Bought the second book in the series because I love to read series...not a very deep plot but it does keep your interest and I found myself liking Elmo, the intern as much as everyone else...
Marie Rutherford
Have read the 3 books in the trilogy now - easy read,entertaining & eye opening.
Based in a young Pastor's journey from College to his first placement & onwards...
Andrea Stoeckel
Part memoir (ficticious of couse) part tall tale and very funny, this book will resonate with any seminarian, pastor, former pastor and anyone from a search committee on the workings of a church and the characters that populate this unique world.

Well done! A very enjoyable outing.
Craig D

A light read, but an insider's look like into the inner workings of a big church staff. There were some definite laugh out loud moments. No real plot...more like memoirs. I enjoyed it and would read a sequel if it jumped out at me.
Erica Senecal
A fun book based on one man's observations of life as an intern for a mega-church. Moody's book included a little of everything: religion, relationship, romance. Lots of comedic elements, too. It was a quick read that I'd highly recommend.
  • Infinitely More
  • A Hearth in Candlewood (Candlewood Trilogy, #1)
  • Broken Things: Two Women. Two Pasts. One Future (Faded Photograph #1)
  • The Search Committee
  • I Shall Not Want (The Psalm 23 Mysteries, #2)
  • On Sparrow Hill (The Oak Leaves #2)
  • Blame It On The Mistletoe (Bright's Pond #4)
  • Chocolate Beach
  • Highland Sanctuary (Highlands #2)
  • Walking on Broken Glass
  • They Almost Always Come Home
  • Crispens Point
  • The Glory of Green (Green #3)
  • Before the Season Ends
  • The Narrow Path
  • The Voyage of Promise (Grace in Africa, #2)
  • Long Time Coming
  • Divas of Damascus Road
Some Things Never Change (Elmo Jenkins #2) The Old Man and the Tea (Elmo Jenkins, #3) The Elmo Jenkins Trilogy Ordained Irreverence (Elmo Jenkins Book One) A Tale of Two Elmos (Elmo Jenkins - Book Four)