Blank-133x176
The Relaxation & Stres...

Martha Davis

The Relaxation & Stress Reduction Workbook

3.97 of 5 stars 3.97  ·  rating details  ·  324 ratings  ·  32 reviews
Each chapter of this workbook follows a practical format, including a history of the technique covered, symptom effectiveness, examples, checklist, further reading and "homework". This edition features additional techniques, up-to-date information and a new reader-friendly format.
Published 1988 by New Harbinger Publications, Inc.

To ask other readers questions about The Relaxation & Stress Reduction Workbook, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Relaxation & Stress Reduction Workbook

Ames
When I first began college, I struggled to keep up with the work load of my classes. Only, it wasn't my grades that were suffering, it was my physical and mental-health.
I was recommended to take a Stress and Anxiety Management course by an advisor, and this is the workbook from that course.

I found a lot of the exercises in The Relaxation & Stress Reduction Workbook to be very helpful, and have tried to use them again on my own a few times.

This book covers a range of subjects such as:
-How t...more
Marsha Stokes
In my quest to find peace and relaxation in my life, overcome my anxiety problems, and cope with any lingering effects of depression, my therapist recommended this workbook. I might have given it four out of four brownie points, except, unlike the "What to Expect" books that Scott and I love so much, there wasn't much humor. I think humor makes technical reading like this just a bit more enjoyable.

As far as a resource for information goes, I really thought this book was very complete and thoroug...more
Lyz
I'm in the middle of some pretty intense research on anxiety and mindful meditation. This was one of a few that led me to a-ha moments. I'm not sure if it's the writing or the fact that it's the right time for me to be reading this---I enjoyed it nonetheless and expect I will come back to it again in the future.
JoAnn
Jul 15, 2011 JoAnn is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
I am reading this due to my current heath issues, which I am learning that could have and I think honestly were caused by stress, so far I love this book I am only a couple chapters in but it gives great detail about the body and mind and how it works to gether and how stress effects us. There are lots of hand on things to try, and do to be awear and to work on connecting your mind and body to reduce negitive stress. I am really enjoying it.
Crystal
If you're over worked and trying to find a way to de-stress and relax, then this is not the book for you. I felt like I was going to be tested later. Each activity was overly regimented, which makes removal of thought quite challenging; when you're so busy trying to do it right you're busy thinking instead of removing thought. This book might be good for some people but I am not a fan.
Tabitha
If you have ever struggled with anxiety, depression, agoraphobia, anger, time management, or other assorted concerns, this book is worth a read. With techniques ranging from refuting irrational ideas to meditation, this books is quite practical and useful. It can be read pretty quickly, but I imagine that one could continue to master the techniques for several years.
Fatima
This is a reference that you can use whenever you want to learn a new technique/method to relax.
Each chapter explains a stress reduction method.
I loved the breathing exercises in chapter 3.

I stress when I'm not busy working on something, so this "reference" helps. I randomly choose a chapter and learn about the method.

I read about 10-15% of the book.
Jen
This is a great reference tool to use when life gets hectic (these days it seems like always!!) Lots of breathing, meditation etc techniques compiled from much research. I ended up buying it. Highly recommend for anyone trying to renew and restore.
Jessica La La La La La!
One of my textbooks for a graduate clinical methods course music and relaxation. Good introduction to the subject, appropriate for a layperson and with many interactive features to help you understand your personal context.
Aja
The best option that I have found for Relaxation Techniques (PEA class). I will be using it in future classes, although it's usefullness would be better if the students had been required to purchase it as well.
Kristen
This books walks you through a number of different types of relaxation exercises, as well as addresses stressors and reducing stress. I used it for a stress management class at BYU and really liked it. Good ideas!
Julie
A Quick reference guide to relaxation techniques taylored to you. You don't have to read the whole book, just look up your symptoms and get busy on the suggested ways to reduce that kind of stress.
Anne
May 08, 2008 Anne rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Kimberly and Tessa
I got this book to use for teaching my Biological Psychology class but I think the exercises and information could actually help me too so I plan on reading it more and trying some of the exercises.
Tracy
Good book on dealing with and managing stress in our everyday lives. Stress complicates our lives and also leads to disease. This book teaches us how to relax, breathing techniques, etc.
Lisa
I had to read this for a college course. While it had useful ideas and examples I feel it wasn't flexible enough to be useful for many different types of people.
Susanna
I don't agree with any of the nutrition info they have, but other than that, the book was helpful and I learned some great things to add to my practice.
Jess
One of the best books of this type I've come across. I use some of the exercises frequently with clients & in teaching stress management to students.
Marlena
- i LOVED this book. great resource for planning workshop on stress management.
- will be referencing and using this book again and again.

Chava
I use this book a lot with my adolescent and adult clients. A nice self-help book that can also be used in the professionals' rooms
Shawn
Currently on page 100 only got 260 to go. Not an easy read, but does have a few good techniques to control anger and anxiety.
Betsy
This isn't really one to read cover to cover but I use a lot of stuff in it with clients and work on it myself too :-)
Ladybug
Ok, so the title seems like an oxymoron. But... lots of VERY GOOD info on relaxing... worth every penny.
Amber Polo
Though I missed the the section on making your own relaxation "tape" from earlier editions.
Gaylene
This book had some very good information and good exercises for relaxation and stress reduction.
Amy
another good one for both myself and anyone who wants effective ways to relax throughout the day
Theresa
lists a number of work outs and ideology that will help individuals learn to relax
Camille
It takes time to learn properly.I am up to 20 minutes now without falling asleep first.
Laurel
I truly hope this helps where my stress level is and helps me cope better
Solostyle
Absolutely a life-saver... and a live-giver!
  • The Anxiety and Phobia Workbook
  • The Dialectical Behavior Therapy Workbook: Practical DBT Exercises for Learning Mindfulness, Interpersonal Effectiveness, Emotion Regulation, And Distress Tolerance
  • Mind Over Mood: Change How You Feel By Changing the Way You Think
  • Healing Your Emotional Self: A Powerful Program to Help You Raise Your Self-Esteem, Quiet Your Inner Critic, and Overcome Your Shame
  • The Feeling Good Handbook
  • The PTSD Workbook: Simple, Effective Techniques for Overcoming Traumatic Stress Symptoms
  • The Relaxation Response
  • Encyclopedia of Counseling Package: Encyclopedia of Counseling: Master Review and Tutorial for the National Counselor Examination, State Counseling ... Preparation Comprehensive Examination
  • The Mindful Path to Self-Compassion: Freeing Yourself from Destructive Thoughts and Emotions
  • The Courage to Heal Workbook: A Guide for Women Survivors of Child Sexual Abuse
  • A Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction Workbook
  • Undoing Depression: What Therapy Doesn't Teach You and Medication Can't Give You
  • The Mindfulness Solution: Everyday Practices for Everyday Problems
  • Motivational Interviewing: Preparing People for Change
  • Theory and Practice of Counseling and Psychotherapy
  • Healing the Child Within: Discovery and Recovery for Adult Children of Dysfunctional Families
  • Cognitive Therapy: Basics and Beyond
  • Biopsychology
How to Communicate the Ultimate Guide to Improving Your Personal and Professional Relationships Thoughts & Feelings The Messages Workbook: Powerful Strategies for Effective Communication at Work and Home Scientific Papers and Presentations Tecnicas de Autocontrol Emocional