Start by marking “Alma (Book of Mormon, #2)” as Want to Read:
Alma (Book of Mormon, #2)

Alma (Book of Mormon #2)

King Noah is thundering with rage. The former high priest Alma has vanished from the city of Nephi, and every night more of his believers manage to escape. The king blames Amulon and threatens certain punishment unless Amulon recaptures Alma — a seemingly impossible task. But Amulon has a plan. An equally valuable prisoner is at his fingertips: Noah’s wife, Maia, whose new

Published (first published September 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Alma, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Alma

Anne
Aug 06, 2009 Anne rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As I finished reading a preview copy of Heather B. Moore's latest novel, Alma, I groaned. The book was so good I wanted to keep reading for another few hundred pages – and that was after soaking up some three hundred already.

I admire the way Heather brings scripture alive in her books, and adds a third dimension to familiar stories. Alma is no exception. Characters I met and loved in Abinidi grow and mature in Alma as they endure trials and afflictions that test the strongest faith to its limits
Walt
Oct 01, 2009 Walt rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone interested in Alma the Elder or fast-paced fiction
Recommended to Walt by: Heather Moore
Heather Moore was gracious enough to let me read her new novel, ALMA, and I am glad I did. I haven't read too much fiction for her intended audience, so this was somewhat new for me. I recommend it to anyone interested in having the life of Alma the Elder from the BOOK OF MORMON more fleshed out. I also recommend it to anyone otherwise interested in reading fast-paced fiction involving elements of romance, friendship, and religious devotion.

For me, the book ALMA is misnamed, though.

Its predomin
Laurie
May 05, 2010 Laurie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

Years ago I read an observation made by President Hinckley's wife, Marjorie, that went something like this: “Poor, Mrs. Moroni . . .” It impacted me deeply because I had never before given a thought to the anonymous wife of brave Captain Moroni, let alone to the sacrifices she unquestionably must have made as she endured her husband’s years of military service.

The scriptures are filled with people and events recorded with brief mentions that slide under our spiritual-radar, failing to entice us
Kami
Sep 17, 2009 Kami rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

I was very excited to review Heather B. Moore's latest novel titled "Alma". This book continues the story from her previous book titled "Abinadi". Once I read that book I was hooked! Heather is one of those authors that writes with such passion that you can't help but fall in love with her characters. You'll end up begging for more when the last chapter ends.

Her characters jump off the pages with raw emotion and conviction. Get ready to experience a tilt-a-whirl of emotions including heartache,
Teri
Sep 30, 2009 Teri rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

Alma by H.B. Moore

As this was my first H.B Moore Book of Mormon novel, I was sort've hesitant to read it, but the up close and personal life of Alma and his family really blew me away, as the story reads like what our Country is going through now. From reading Alma, I was able to learn a few little tidbits about the area and culture of thse Nephites and the Lamanites.

As the story begins, we see Alma leaving King Noah's Court after Alma has repented an d changed his ways. Abinadi has recently be
Ronda Hinrichsen
To me, one of the most important elements a good book must have is a life lesson and/or spiritual insight, like those found in some of my favorite classics, "To Kill a Mockingbird," "Rebecca," and "Jane Eyre." Unfortunately, incorporating insight into our work without being didactic can be tricky, but I'm happy to say H.B. Moore has done just that in her recently released novel, "Alma." Sure, her fictional story is based on a true story from the Book of Mormon, but Moore does not use that ready ...more
Kathleen
Nov 03, 2009 Kathleen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
H. B. Moore's ALMA seems to qualify as a "fill in the blanks" story of what has already been given to us in the Book of Mormon. This is a sequel to ABINADI and uses several characters created for that novel to fill in blanks in the Book of Mosiah, and Moore uses them very well.

While Alma (the elder) serves as one point of view character, most of the point of view characters who tell his story are people Moore has created herself, such as Abinadi's widow and a wife, and later widow, of King Noah.
Rebecca Irvine
Nov 12, 2009 Rebecca Irvine rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of my favorite LDS fiction series I discovered this year has been Heather B. Moore's historical novels based on the Book of Mormon. Moore takes the scriptural characters and their exact story lines, and adds greater detail, more characters (especially female ones you will wish were actually mentioned in the BoM), and lots of accurate cultural research. And the end result? Books that make you almost wish your daily scripture study was as easy and exciting.

Moore's first historical novel in the
Andrea
Sep 07, 2009 Andrea rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed Heather Moore's novel Abinadi, and thus had high expectations for its sequel. I am happy to report that Alma did not disappoint.

Alma is based on scriptural accounts found in the Book of Mormon. Alma was a high priest under King Noah's rule. He was present when the prophet Abinadi came to the wicked leader to preach repentance. Alma was touched by the words Abinadi spoke. When Noah had Abinadi executed by fire, Alma fled and worked to spread the gospel. Alma relates the story fro
Cheri
Jul 09, 2009 Cheri rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I decided to take a fresh view of Alma, having not read any of H.B. Moore's books before. Even though I have Abinadi--I read Alma first.

As a stand alone novel, it works. There's enough information about what happened before to keep the story moving without slowing things down. I found Alma's characters engaging; it sort of brought scripture to life. Reading the book recalled passages from the Book of Mormon, but I'm not such a scriptorian that I knew immediately what would happen next.

Speaking s
Taffy
Oct 01, 2009 Taffy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lds-authors

I am not one that usually reads novels based on scripture for two reasons: first, many times the stories are not accurate and second, I tend to internalize the story and it mixes up in my daily scripture reading.

But Heather's books are different. Heather's writing is descriptive and accurate which keeps me IN the story. I can almost see, touch and smell the areas where the story takes place. She brings the scriptures alive in very readable way.

Heather is good at making her readers root for the g
Kathee
May 24, 2011 Kathee rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book. I'm sad to admit when I read the Book of Mormon I just can't 'visualize' it. Not to mention the fact that I've never, EVER, even thought about what it was like for the women tagging along with all those great prophets. Heather Moore's books that I've read so far (Abinadi and now Alma) bring everything to life for me. Ironically, in our family scripture study we have been reading in Alma this past week and reading this book has made me go "Oh!! Okay, I get it!" for so many thin ...more
Cheryl
I really like historical fiction. When it's about scripture I'm picky about the author keeping the facts straight. HBM does a great job of this. I read the scripture right along with the book. I love the way her story pulls me into the lives of the characters and helps me understand what it would have been like to live at that time. In this particular part of the Book of Mormon there are several stories happening simultaneously. With this book I can focus on one group of people at a time. I bett ...more
Susan
Jun 04, 2010 Susan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Kena, Rachelle
Recommended to Susan by: Carmel
I really liked these two books by H.B. Moore. I loved the application of the Book of Mormon prophets, and even though fictional, the idea of what their lives might have been like. It made me wonder if I would be that strong as a believer. I hope my testimony is that strong. I'll think about it more in my life. I need to be better. I also liked how the romance wasn't too cheesy, but it was more a part of the story in Alma than in Abinadi. Anyway, I highly recommend these books to adults and young ...more
Alex
Sep 04, 2009 Alex rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: the-gull
this book was a good one, but i don't think it was as great as the one before (abinadi). this story picks up right where abinadi left off. alma has fled from king noah's court and begins teaching believers the preachings of abinadi by the waters of mormon. noah continues searching for him and vows to have him killed.
there's lots of romance (a little too much for my liking), some fight scenes, and i guess you could say a little suspense (if you haven't read the story of alma in a while). overall
Rachel
Oct 03, 2009 Rachel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really like Moore's books and this one is excellent. Moore gives a perfect blend of history and fiction. I could tell she really researched the time period, the historical elements in the book were fasinating. I think we often forget the individual stories of the people in scriptures. I love getting a picture of what life must have been like and now that I am re-reading this passage of scripture, I'm pleased to find it's taken on an even deeper meaning. I saw that "Alma the Younger" is out--ca ...more
Lexie
Jun 03, 2010 Lexie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Once again, H.B. Moore creates the perfect Book of Mormon environment with her second installment, Alma. This book picks up right where Abinadi left off. The author continues to create and describe the characters and their relationships to each other. The most interesting part to me was Abinadi's widow and son and how they moved on after his untimely death. Even though it is a fictional account of these characters, I think H.B. Moore provided an insightful and accurate description of the circums ...more
Jenna
Nov 03, 2009 Jenna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It took me a long time to get through this book (had a baby, etc.) and when I finally got a chance to sit and finally read it, I really enjoyed it! I love books that make me want to read it and find out what happens next. My husband made fun of me, "you don't know what's going to happen in the end?" hahaha!!!

The only thing is, though the end is good, I was hoping to see how Amulon took Alma and his people escaping. I guess I wanted to grovel in his dashed hopes and dreams a bit.

I think Heather's
Nikki Wilson
Sep 25, 2009 Nikki Wilson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed reading this book and imagining what Alma's life might have been like. There were a couple of things that I had never imagined that way, but she transported me into her imagination and I loved it. I love these books, they help me to see the prophets as the real people that they were. It makes their accomplishments that much more extraordinary. The characters in these stories really come to life and make you care for the plight of the Nephites. I definately recommend that everyon ...more
Julia
Nov 01, 2011 Julia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love Abinadi and I was very excited when the library told me that Alma was ready to pick up. I read it in less than 24 hours, because I couldn't put it down. I loved that the author kept the truth in the story but also put in side things. I love the authors style, I love the story, and words cannot express how much I loved the book. Everybody should read this book, it gives you perspective on the live of the family and friends of the Book of Mormon prophets. :)
Clyn
Sep 01, 2011 Clyn rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was entertaining and brought to life with interesting imaginative details, a story very familiar to me. I was a little disappointed in the end not to have had a vindicating scene of Amulon discovering that the people of Alma gone from under his oppressive thumb with it's associated ramifications, but oh well. certainly not deep, though it made characters in the Book of Mormon more relatable--is that a word--with human frailties, passions and trials.
Christina
The author does such a good job helping us consider what 'might have been'. We know Alma was married (Alma the younger ...), but we know nothing about his wife. Heather B. Moore includes notes at the end of the book that show why she chose specific locations and traditions.

Although Alma was a great character, I thought Amulon was even more fascinating.
Cheryl Mclaws
Apr 06, 2012 Cheryl Mclaws rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
LOVED. IT. I read Moore's Out of Jerusalem series a few years ago and was excited to jump back into the lives of some of the people I know and love from the Book of Mormon. Heather has such a way with words and is amazing at chreating complex characters that seem to jump right off the pages and make you feel like your actually there in the story with them. I'm anxious to continue reading her stories!
Shauna
Jul 16, 2010 Shauna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed the writing and the characters in this book. Although based on true events in the Book of Mormon the author has taken liberty with a lot of the details but its very easy to see how things could have happened that way. It made me think more about the actual every day lives of Alma and those around him and come to appreciate and love him more.
Catherine
Jun 19, 2010 Catherine rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is based on a prophet from the Book of Mormon. It is a sequel to Abinadi, which I also really enjoyed. Alma, through his faith in Jesus Christ, is able to bear up his burdens and is blessed for doing so. Bryce's aunt Wendy is friends with the author of this book, which is kind of cool. I wish I was friends with a famous author!!!
Spring Clark
Nov 10, 2009 Spring Clark rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I thought this was an excellent book and I just happened to be reading about this time period in the Book of Mormon. I never really realized that Alma was under the rule of Amulon again and what that would have meant to him - since they had both served under King Noah together. I enjoyed this book and hope that Alma the Younger is going to come out soon!!
Gina
Feb 25, 2010 Gina rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wish I would have realized that Abinadi really should have been read first. Luckily I am aware of the story line:) This was a very interesting read - making you feel for the people of Alma as they escaped King Noah and then were taken over by the very wicked Amulon. I always love reading historical fiction and enjoyed this one too.
Jessie
Another great book by Heather Moore. It is a continuation of Abinadi but more focused on Alma. I am so glad to have found historical fictions based on the Book of Mormon. These books have broadened and made my personal scripture study so much more. The characters and backgrouds all make sense now. Very good read!
Dave LeFevre
Sep 28, 2009 Dave LeFevre rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lds-fiction
Heather Brown Moore has written another excellent historical novel for the Book of Mormon. Focusing on real characters Alma, Helam, Noah, and Amulon, as well as a host of fictional women in their lives that really keep the story moving, this is a fascinating exploration of that critical period of time in the history of the Nephites and Lamanites.
Sheila  Summerhays
My first H.B. Moore book but not my last. This may end up my favorite book of 2012. This is Book of Mormon historical fiction with romance and it's at its best. I can't wait to read Abinadi, which I should have read first.
  • Women of the Book of Mormon
  • Tribunal (Traitor, 2)
  • Abish: Daughter of God: A Novel
  • Tower of Strength
  • Backlash (Saint Squad, #4)
  • Methods of Madness
  • Desire of Our Hearts
  • The Forgotten Warrior
  • Altered State
  • Master
  • Cross My Heart
Heather B. Moore is a USA Today bestselling author of more than a dozen historical novels and thrillers, written under pen name H.B. Moore. She writes women's fiction, romance and inspirational non-fiction under Heather B. Moore. This can all be confusing, so her kids just call her Mom. Heather attended Cairo American College in Egypt, the Anglican School of Jerusalem in Israel, and earned a Bache ...more
More about H.B. Moore...

Book of Mormon (4 books)
  • Abinadi (Book of Mormon, #1)
  • Alma the Younger (Book of Mormon, #3)
  • Ammon (Book of Mormon, #4)