Start by marking “The Marrying Game: A Novel” as Want to Read:
The Marrying Game: A Novel

The Marrying Game: A Novel

Like Louisa May Alcott's classic Little Women, The Marrying Game opens on Christmas Eve, with four sisters at home worrying about money. The setting is present-day England, and the girls' father, an eccentric aristocrat, has just died, leaving the Hasty family so impoverished that they are about to lose their splendid but crumbling house. So the two oldest sisters--Rufa, t ...more
Published July 21st 2003 by St. Martin's Press (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about The Marrying Game, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Marrying Game

Jul 03, 2012 Laura rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the second book I've read in less than a week by British author Kate Saunders and I loved it. Part chick lit and part romance, it is smart and funny and her prose about everyday things can be can be achingly beautiful. The book makes numerous references to Jane Austen and Little Women, which of course I enjoyed. All the characters are reeling from the recent suicide of the family patriarch, who by all accounts was a real jerk. How the four sisters, their mother, and the assorted men in t ...more
Karen Powell
This chick lit has many homages to Jane Austen: the sisters worrying about their marriage prospects after their father died, the family friend besotted with one of the daughters, a sister named Lydia who married a rogue. However, this is not your dignified Austen![return][return]The Hasty name can be traced back into history. However, time has not been kind to the family, and they struggle to make ends meet. The four sisters, Rufa, Nancy, Lydia, and Selena, are still reeling after the unexpected ...more
Pirate
Oct 03, 2009 Pirate rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Meredith Galman
Mar 14, 2008 Meredith Galman rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
Impoverished, beautiful blueblood sisters Rufa and Nancy Hardy decide it's their duty to marry money to save their mother, sisters, and estate from ruin after the suicide of their wastrel father. The text references both Little Women and Jane Austen, and the book has a definite Austen vibe to it -- if Austen had written explicitly about sex, drugs, and gay best friends. Still, even with all that, the story is never predictable: everybody gets their happy ending, but not without effort or learn ...more
Kathryn
Got absolutely glowing reviews on Amazon from both customers and published authors in the genre. As one reviewer said, "Saunders has Jane Austen's psychological insight and attention to detail, Louisa May Alcott's understanding of family dynamics, and Elinor Lipman's zaniness and saucy irreverence. Yet, Saunders is not just a pale imitation of other novelists. She has her own original voice, and "The Marrying Game" is a wonderful comedy of manners that has a great deal to say about life and love ...more
Grace
Dec 15, 2014 Grace rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: e-books-read

I wasn't sure what to expect with this book. I thought it would be a bit light and fluffy and fall into the category of Chick-lit. I'm happy to say that I was wrong. Who says you shouldn't judge a book by it's cover?

It started out in the manner of a Chick-lit but quite soon started showing much more depth to the characters and the story. It wasn't what I initially expected and I found myself enjoying it as I wasn't sure how the story would pan out. Parts of it were a bit predictable but
Elinor
Feb 21, 2017 Elinor rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I resisted reading this novel that I found at my holiday rental for some time because of the cover and the title, making it look like trashy chick lit. I was very pleasantly surprised. It is what I term smart chick lit, with complex characters and clever dialogue and plenty of literary references. I have been searching for an author like this ever since my beloved Victoria Clayton quit writing novels (not forever, I hope). I will now read the other adult novels by Kate Saunders, although I see t ...more
Keris
Feb 09, 2008 Keris rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is thoroughly enjoyable. On first impressions it could appear a little daunting, at a lengthy 544 pages (paperback version), but as soon as you begin reading you forget this and find yourself transported into pure escapist fantasy. The storyline frequently teeters on the boundary of what is believable, but that only adds to its appeal. If you like your chick lit to be

To read the rest of this review (and more!), please visit Trashionista
Jennifer Eckel
The plot is perfect Regency. Four sisters strive to save the family manor that is beyond bankrupt. They have a charming ne’er do well father who has just offed himself, and they all cope with his death in different ways. They plot to head to London and make it in the social scene and marry well. Except, this is all very modern. So Regency novel, + Little Women, with a smidgeon of Austin, meets Bridget Jones, with added wit by Barbara Metzger. I want to read more of this author.
Karschtl
A modern "Little Women" it says on the cover. Well, it may be set in modern times, but it is still full of all the old clichés. Four sisters have to find at least one rich husband for one of them so that they can save their big grand family house. I gave up after ca. 50 pages (although this was a condensed version and had only 180p. anyway). But I couldn't be bothered to read on - life's too short for those stories.
Judy
Jan 29, 2017 Judy rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I read this after reading the author's The Secrets of Wishtide and wanting more. After reading a few, I realized that Saunders is prolific and writes across a wide variety of genres. This is a non-spicy romance. I think these books may have been written earlier in her career. Interestingly, Saunders also wrote Five Children on the Western Front, a sequel to the Five Children and It series by E. Nesbit.
Jan
Aug 01, 2008 Jan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Rather far-fetched but asininely funny and filled odd situations and fun. A good summer/beach read when you feel like doing nothing, including thinking. It's not profound.
Two sisters decide to marry for money to support their family to save them and their homestead from ruin and creditors in merry old England.
Jacqui
Dec 05, 2012 Jacqui rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I'm kinda sick of romance novels in which all of the romantic players are drop dead gorgeous. It would add a little spice if people were liked for their personality and perhaps one redeeming feature now and again would it not? Anyhoot this novel is very slow moving, as if in real time and I got bored so I skipped to the end and it seemed like a fairly predictable ending.
Jenn
Jul 30, 2010 Jenn rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
These women's wacky lives were an entertaining beach read. Loved the British-ness of the book, but each of the characters needs a little time on the couch with a professional. And why do they worship the dead and philandering Zed.
Karen
May 22, 2014 Karen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A great book following in the relationships between the Hasty sisters and the unsuspecting victims of the marrying game, an idea of how to marry into money in order to save the family estate after "The Man" died.
A captivating story with alot of hilarious twists along the way.
Highly recommended
Janet
Oct 22, 2007 Janet rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
It is described at witty and whimsical. I thought it had a good premise of 4 sisters that decide, under difficult circumstances, they need to marry for money instead of love. Unfortunately I thought it was asinine, but to be fair several people in my book group thought it was a good beach read.
Ashley S.
Jul 23, 2010 Ashley S. rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
This book is another really good one from Kate Saunders. It teaches you that when you give up on love and start going after the money, you end up findinf love and sometimes the money as well. Again this was a very funny and yet serious love story of all the Hasty sisters.
Erin
Dec 03, 2007 Erin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Kate Saunders is a must read for chick lit fans!
Nov 18, 2008 Sarah rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Kate Saunders is such an absorbing writer, I couldn't put this down. It also had a much lighter tone than some of her other novels, which I liked.
Mandy
Jan 14, 2014 Mandy rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Bizarre.
Feodora
Apr 23, 2014 Feodora rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: german, humor, read-2014
Na das ist mal ein Buch was alle 5 Sterne verdient.
Gut geschrieben, gute Geschichte, lustig, ernsthaft, viel Lebensweisheit....einfach gut.

Aber ich habe irgendwie verpasst.... wer war Roger?
Brenda Roberts
I liked the story idea of what the girls were trying to do. However all the infidelity ruined it for me!
Sharon
Feb 19, 2014 Sharon rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: chicklit
Overall, a pretty good read if you like books about eccentric English families. There were a few rough transitions in parts of the book but not enough to detract from the story.
Susan
Jan 14, 2015 Susan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Light, easy read, both sweet and funny. If you're a fan of chick lit you'll like this.
Cathy
Oct 29, 2008 Cathy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Too many character names to remember, but not bad overall.
Trena
Jun 23, 2008 Trena rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book teeters at the intersection of romance novel and chick lit. I allow myself to read chick lit, but romance novels go too far. It's mindless fluff but a lot of fun.
Kim Vriesen
I recommend it. great plot and subplot. Interesting characters. Some good twists. Go for it
Melissa
Sep 09, 2014 Melissa rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
2.5 stars, ok Brit chick lit about sisters who try to find rich husbands so they can save their home.
Elizabeth
Nicely done! I really enjoyed this.
Beth
Sep 19, 2015 Beth rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An interesting premise and overall an enjoyable read. Would be a good book to read by the pool :)
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Perfectly Correct
  • The Show (Swell Valley #2)
  • A Bachelor Establishment
  • Beautiful Creatures
  • Mein deutsches Dschungelbuch
  • Linksaufsteher: Ein Montagsroman
  • Love Is the Drug
  • How to Win a Guy in 10 Dates
  • Das Glücksprojekt. Wie ich (fast) alles versucht habe, der glücklichste Mensch der Welt zu werden
  • Late Night Talking
  • The Ice Chorus
  • The Accidental Duchess
  • Maybe Baby
  • The Single Wife
  • Letters of Two Brides
  • Time After Time
  • Der Junge muss an die frische Luft: Meine Kindheit und ich
  • Tidal Shift (Christine, #4)
Kate Saunders (born 1960) is an English author, actress, and journalist. The daughter of the early public relations advocate Basil Saunders and his journalist wife Betty (née Smith), Saunders has worked for newspapers and magazines in the UK, including The Sunday Times, Sunday Express, Daily Telegraph, She, and Cosmopolitan.

She has also been a regular contributor to radio and television, with appe
More about Kate Saunders...