Start by marking “The Unseen Guest” as Want to Read:
The Unseen Guest

The Unseen Guest (The Incorrigible Children of Ashton Place #3)

4.01  ·  Rating Details ·  3,570 Ratings  ·  485 Reviews
"Of especially naughty children it is sometimes said, "They must have been raised by wolves." "

The Incorrigible children actually were.

Since returning from London, the three Incorrigible children and their plucky governess, Miss Penelope Lumley, have been exceedingly busy. Despite their wolfish upbringing, the children have taken up bird-watching, with no unfortunate conse
Published February 21st 2012 by HarperCollins Publishers

To ask other readers questions about The Unseen Guest, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Unseen Guest

Lauren
May 06, 2012 Lauren rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This series is starting to aggravate me. Three books in, and there are still no answers to the big mystery but this book did provide a lot more questions (Surely the eminent Agatha Swanburne must have some useful advice about how rude it is to present questions but never answers). I feel like the series is still warming up to the story and, much as I enjoy Ms. Wood’s style, as a reader, I’m ready to move past the appetizers. Stop hinting and having people conveniently unavailable and, much as I ...more
Sesana
A bit better than the previous book. There are still far, far too many questions, and if you're looking for answers you're better off watching X-Files mytharc episodes. But I at least felt like more interesting and incisive questions were being posed by the text- Penelope is starting to wonder about the right things, and that's good. It's starting to get a little frustrating that we haven't actually had much forward momentum on any of this series' many mysteries, but at least the main character ...more
May 05, 2012 Laura rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: jf
Delightful, as usual with wordplay and nonsense, but I was hoping for more questions to be answered than raised. This book felt a bit more like it was stringing me along to the next one without resolving some issues along the way, leaving an ultimately unsatisfying feeling. Yes, we want a series to continue, but we want some resolutions too. Nonetheless, there was action and excitement, humor, surreptitious learning and, as stated, lots of wonderful wordplay. Ahwooo!
Dolores
May 10, 2012 Dolores rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really love this series, although this one wasn't quite as wonderful as the first two. 'Course, that's like saying the "Mona Lisa" isn't quite as wonderful as the "The Last Supper". This really is such a fun, quirky little series. From pie charts to rhetorical questions to absurd anagrams, I did enjoy this third entry. It just lacked a bit of optotoomuchoverthetopism, I guess.
Andrea
Oct 20, 2010 Andrea rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Well, I just finished a very inteteresting read about a nanny who comes to care for three children whom she finds are feral children who've been raised by wolves. The main thing of the book is its irony: she is teaching them Latin and Literature while they are learning not to chase squirrels and howl. It has a big mystery at its core, and I thought it was a lot of fun....sort of like Sound of Music meets The Series of Unfortunate Events. The hyperbole and irony are great talking points!
Patricia Powell
Aug 27, 2012 Patricia Powell rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: middle-grade
If you want a good laugh, a chortle, a chuckle, read “Unseen Guest” by Maryrose Woods (Scholastic 2010), the third in the series of “The Incorrigible Children of Ashton Place.” Really you should start with the first, “The Mysterious Howling” then “The Hidden Gallery.”
If you’ve already read them listen to the book on disc read by Katherine Kellgren (Listening Library). Kellgren’s regal over-the-top oh-so-dramatic reading is uproarious. What a terrific pairing—Wood’s writing and Kellgren’s reading
Charlyn
Apr 09, 2012 Charlyn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Grades 4 and up
Oh, this series is maddening! So many questions still unanswered and new ones appearing. In this third book in the series, Miss Penelope Lumley is still attempting to civilize her three charges who have been raised by wolves in the wild. She has been hired by Lord Frederick to be the children's governess, but both he and his wife are extremely detached from the parenting process.

The mistress of the manor, Lady Constance, receives word that Lord Frederick's long-absent mother is soon to arrive
Becky
Mar 24, 2013 Becky rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really got into this series, it's fun and exciting and sort of like the Unfortunate Events series by Lemony Snicket. At the end of book 2 I was still left with a lot of unanswered questions and I was desperate for this one so I could get some answers.
I requested this book at the library and they were very good and ordered it for me, it actually came in quite quickly. So I settled down to find out what was behind the mysteries.
In that respect I was slightly disappointed, nothing is really answe
Mel B.
Apr 01, 2012 Mel B. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love these books. They combine the typical (almost orphan) governess of the Victorian era with atypical charges, humor and mystery.

Penelope Lumley in this third book has learned how to better control the children -- though she's not more than a child herself. At the very end of the book, she realizes that there's a time for growing up, even for herself.

In the meantime, she has to divert a money-hungry admiral from making her charges into a circus sideshow.

Love love these books. My biggest c
Skye Kilaen
Oh hey, a teachable moment with my son about the history of colonizers promoting the myth of savage cannibals as a means of dehumanization! I'm disappointed in this author, because the series is really fun overall, but I could have lived without the stereotypical Gypsy character who showed up in in a previous book, and this introduction of cannibalism. The series may take place in 19th century England, but the writer and the readers are here and now. We know better.
Arkara
Nov 08, 2014 Arkara rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The third installment of the Incorrigible Children of Ashton Place, The Unseen Guest, leaves questions unanswered and brings up a good deal more. Like, why does lord Frederick always disappear on a full moon? Who painted the Attic's hauntingly disturbing mural? Why does Penelope bear a striking resemblance to the incorrigibles and the head of her alma mater Agatha Swanburne? What is the curse? These questions and more brought up for the entire duration of the book, all cleverly tucked into the s ...more
Stephanie
I'm not sure who it was who described this series as "Jane Eyre meets Lemony Snicket," but it is definitely true and makes for an entertaining mix.

In the series' third installment, Penelope and the Incorrigibles spend their time on the Ashton estate, chasing ostriches through the woods, meeting gigantic wolves, staging a seance, and thwarting the greedy plans of Admiral Faucet. Penelope's wit and "pluck" are as pronounced as ever as she negotiates her own changes into adulthood while conceding s
colleen the convivial curmudgeon
3.5

After enjoying the first, but being a bit disappointed in the second, I was delighted with this third installment.

Penelope is growing up a bit, and developing as a character, which is wonderful. I hate series in which the main characters don't seem to ever really age.

The children, also, are becoming less and less wolfish, and more civilized, as they spend more and more time with Penny - though, of course, they still retain some of their animal qualities, especially when they go into the wood
Kristen
First Impression: I felt like I hit the jackpot when I saw the audio version of this book at the library one day. I was ready for a new audio and had completely forgotten that the third book in this fantastic series was out! I just love the narrator Katherine Kellgren and was excited to see what sort of adventures the Incorrigibles would have in this novel.

While Reading: I was hoping for more answers as to what was going on with our dear main character Penelope, but sadly, I will have to wait lo
Tracey
I'll admit, I started this series basically because I adore Ms. Kellgren's narrations, and the description of the first book in the series piqued my interest. However, it's turning into quite an enjoyable series, with several overarching mysteries (What has happened to Miss Lumley's parents? Why must she keep her hair dyed? Just what mysterious ailment does Lord Ashton suffer from?) along with strange occurrences within each volume.

This time around, Lord Ashton's widowed mother, Hortense, come
Tiffany
The Incorrigibles, Alexander, Beowulf, and Cassiopeia, are back with their plucky governess, Penelope Lumley, for another adventure. Many questions were left dangling in the 2nd installment, and even more questions are uncovered in this book, with few answers. Back in the Ashton country estate, the children see an ostrich running around the country side and find out that it belongs to the beau of the Widow Ashton. The Admiral enlists the children to help him hunt down the beast, which he plans t ...more
Charity
Dec 02, 2014 Charity rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kids
I enjoyed this one more than I did the second in the series, and it's rekindled my interest in reading the fourth (which will hopefully stay smoldering until that book comes out* (my interest, not the book. I am opposed to book-burning of any kind)).

I really love the way Wood uses puns and introduces inside jokes into the story that readers can look out for along the way. I especially appreciated the pangs with which Penelope experiences the awareness that comes with growing up and replacing chi
Jasmine
Apr 08, 2012 Jasmine rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens, 2012
I adore this series, and I loved a lot about this book, but not as much as the first two. Ms. Lumley (LUMAWOO) is just as charming as before, and the kids are even more fun -- they have three very distinct personalities, and the relationships between the four of them are fantastic. And I loved a lot of the story of this book, the way that it advanced some of the larger story, and finding out more about the kids' origins. However, there were two things that I didn't love about this book: 1) it se ...more
Tara Carpenter
This is a review of the first 4 books of this series, taken as a whole. They each felt like a very short, incomplete book on their own - like sections of a larger novel. Although Wood still did a great job of wrapping up current action and mysteries in each book, while leading you towards more questions for the next. Can't wait for the last two books!

I loved meeting Penelope Lumley, the young governess, and her Wolfy charges! These books are so fun and charming and the characters are awesome. Th
David
Aug 13, 2016 David rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
(6/10) Despite being an obvious spinoff of Lemony Snicket's style, this series is well worth reading. It's a fun and entertaining read with mysteries that keep you guessing (and which are hopefully solved in the fourth book which is due to be out next month according to Goodreads).

The characters are charming, if not well-rounded, and there are some good tidbits of wisdom sprinkled throughout the stories. And the voice, again despite the obvious imitation, does have enough individuality from Lemo
Mayda
Aug 03, 2013 Mayda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s
The Incorrigible children are actually becoming more civilized and it’s clear that they possess abilities and talents beyond what their limited beginning would suggest. But it doesn’t take much to make them revert to their former ways. When Lord Ashton’s mother arrives at Ashton Manor with a suitor, it sets in motion a series of events that forces Governess Penelope Lumley to use all her strengths and cunning to save the children and herself. When the children and Penelope set off in search of a ...more
Apr 18, 2012 Jennifer rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, children-s
Why did I think The Incorrigible Children would only be a trilogy? Wishful thinking? The pacing is so tedious that I want it to end, but the story is so charming that I keep reading it anyway. I want to see Penelope finally solve the mystery, but it is frustrating me that she is so obtuse.

I do think these would be fun to read aloud to young children, but since my thoughts on this book are essentially the same as the other books in the series, I will just refer you to that review.

The Hidden Galle
Mari
Jun 12, 2012 Mari rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I do really enjoy this series, but I'm getting to the point where I REALLY want to know the answers to some of the questions posed in these books. I will admit, my impatience is getting the better of me and is influencing my choice of rating stars. I am willing to go back and re-read, and possibly up my rating, but for now, I'm going with the 3-stars of a slightly grumpy reader who can't wait to find out what's behind all the secrecy!
April
If there was ever doubt in my love of the Incorrigibles, it was erased by the third edition to the series, The Unseen Guest. Miss Penelope Lumley and her three charges Cassiopeia, Beowulf, and Alexander are back. And friends? This adventure by Maryrose Wood is a keeper.

Read the rest of my review here
Carmine
Jan 20, 2013 Carmine rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: only those who LOVED the first two
Shelves: juvenile-fiction
Gah! This series got off to a great start- good characters, intriguing premise (children raised by wolves taken in by an English nobleman and educated by a Jane Eyre type.), but the story does not advance. I read this one thinking, the third book of perhaps a trilogy- here I will find answers, but NO. There is no resolution in this book and nothing is explained. It is too maddening to read any further and I am now too fatigued of the characters to be curious about the mystery.
Morgan
Jun 17, 2012 Morgan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: j-fic, j-series, mystery, audio
Thoroughly enjoyed this third installment but for some reason was not as captivated as with the first two books (can't quite put my finger on why; perhaps because I'm becoming increasingly anxious for some answers to my questions about Penny and her "wolf babies?") Katherine Kellgren, as always, is an oratorical treasure; I want to hire her and Jim Dale to narrate my life.
Erica
Apr 09, 2013 Erica rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am listening to this series on audio book and thoroughly enjoy them. The narrator is one of the best narrators I have heard on an audio book and her skills add to the story. I would recommend these books to anyone with children who love to read, or even for adults looking for a cute, witty, easy, kid-friendly read.
Virginia Walter
Apr 01, 2012 Virginia Walter rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s-books
In this third installment in what promises to be an ongoing series, we receive more clues about the possible back stories of those wolfish children -- and Lord Frederick. The resourceful Miss Penelope Lumley continues to wonder about HER back story, and the handsome Simon Harley-Dickinson makes another appearance. But what role does Old TImothy play in all of this?
Apr 08, 2012 Laura rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bks-grade-4-5
Another fun adventure where no one is who the appear to be. And remember, whatever you do, do NOT think of elk!
Mande
Oct 24, 2014 Mande rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoy this series. I love the setting, the writing, the characters. But I'm dying for some answers and by book three I'm getting guess work and nothing else.
  • The Mistaken Masterpiece (The Red Blazer Girls, #3)
  • The Penderwicks at Point Mouette (The Penderwicks, #3)
  • The Case of the Gypsy Good-Bye (Enola Holmes, #6)
  • Theodosia and the Eyes of Horus (Theodosia Throckmorton, #3)
  • Mr. and Mrs. Bunny—Detectives Extraordinaire! (The Bunny's #1)
  • Till Death Do Us Bark (43 Old Cemetery Road, #3)
  • Horton Halfpott; or, The Fiendish Mystery of Smugwick Manor; or, The Loosening of M’Lady Luggertuck’s Corset
  • Horten's Miraculous Mechanisms: Magic, Mystery, & a Very Strange Adventure
  • The Cheshire Cheese Cat: A Dickens of a Tale
  • Ghost Knight
  • Nooks & Crannies
  • Nuts to You
  • The Ghostwriter Secret (Brixton Brothers #2)
  • The Rose Cottage Tales (Tumtum and Nutmeg #4-6)
  • Emily's Fortune
Maryrose grew up in the wild suburbs of Long Island, moved to New York City at age 17 to study acting at New York University, then dropped out to be in the chorus of a Broadway musical — which flopped.

Lean and action-packed years of acting, directing, and making drunk people laugh at comedy clubs followed. Becoming a writer seemed the only way out of this Dickensian existence.

Maryrose started out
More about Maryrose Wood...

The Incorrigible Children of Ashton Place (6 books)
  • The Mysterious Howling (The Incorrigible Children of Ashton Place #1)
  • The Hidden Gallery (The Incorrigible Children of Ashton Place #2)
  • The Interrupted Tale (The Incorrigible Children of Ashton Place, #4)
  • The Unmapped Sea (The Incorrigible Children of Ashton Place, #5)
  • The Long-Lost Home (The Incorrigible Children of Ashton Place, #6)

“Elk have not been seen in Switzerland for many a year. In the interests of scientific accuracy, please strike the idea of elk from your mind. If you must, think of ibexes instead, a fierce and agile type of goat with great spiraling horns. Marmots will also do in a pinch, but under no circumstances should you think of elk. No. Elk. The elkless among you may now proceed.” 4 likes
“There is power in words used accurately and well, and tragedy and missed train connections in words used carelessly.” 1 likes