A Voice in the Box: My Life in Radio

A Voice in the Box: My Life in Radio

3.42 of 5 stars 3.42  ·  rating details  ·  109 ratings  ·  23 reviews
The host of The Bob Edwards Show and Bob Edwards Weekend on Sirius XM Radio, Bob Edwards became the first radio personality with a large national audience to take his chances in the new field of satellite radio. The programs’ mix of long-form interviews and news documentaries has won many prestigious awards.For thirty years, Louisville native Edwards was the voice of Natio...more
Published (first published September 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about A Voice in the Box, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Voice in the Box

Tracey, librarian on strike
When I saw "Bob Edwards" I pounced on this Netgalley offering, and was glad to be granted access – thank you to them. Probably twenty years ago a friend twigged me on to NPR, and I didn't look at another radio station for years. The only reason I stopped listening in 2008 was that I reached my tolerance level for politics and had to have music – but I missed Morning Edition and All Things Considered...

The rest of this review can be found here, on Booklikes, and here, on my blog. However, I will...more
Randal Cooper
A Voice in the Box has plenty of fun and interesting anecdotes, but there are two things that bother me:
Edwards has an axe to grind with NPR. It's justifiable--they done him wrong--but one would think a journalist would get to the bottom of his own story about the actual reasons he was fired instead of saying "it was unfair, and to this day I don't know why they did it."
The chronology of the book doesn't seem to follow any pattern. I understand that there's a narrative point to starting in th...more
Jaylia3
When Morning Edition debuted on NPR in 1979 Bob Edwards was its original host, and he stayed in that job for almost 25 years as Morning Edition became one of the most popular shows on the radio. Then, inexplicably, he was fired in 2004, a hugely unpopular move. At the time I had already been considering subscribing to satellite radio, so when he was hired almost immediately by XM Satellite Radio to host his own hour-long, in-depth interview show I signed up and largely based on his show I'm stil...more
Lynn Eldredge
I finished reading Bob's book last night. I loved every page. I look forward to the next 30,000 interviews and hope one is with Paul McCartney. : )

Way to go Ariana Pekary on "Stories from Third Med, Surviving a Jungle" I agree with Bob that it is the best thing I have ever heard on the radio. http://www.bobedwards.info/ftopic742....

Way to go Steve Lickteig, Dan Bloom, Chad Campbell, Andy Danyo Kubis, Cristy Meiners, Ed McNulty, Geoffrey Redick, and Shelley Tillman. Sounds like you have a great...more
Jackmccullough
I might not have read this if I hadn't gotten a tweet from Romenesko that it was being offered free on Amazon. For me, a long-time public radio listener, it was worth it.

The book traces Bob Edwards's early life in Kentucky, his education and military background, and his radio career. Edwards follows an unusual organizational structure, sometimes chronological, sometimes thematic, but it doesn't really detract from the book.

As someone who was shocked and dismayed by his summary firing from NPR, I...more
Kevin
Mr. Edwards truely believes that he is middle of the road politically and superior journalistically. A person who either is not aware of personel bias or refuses to admit to such is a zealot.

Had he simply admitted his (and NPR's) bias I could have enjoyed his stories more. Instead I was contantly on edge looking for the hidden purpose behind what he had to say. Zealots, both from the left and from the right, never miss an opportunity to manipulate those with whom they are communicating.

If you...more
Shannon
having spent many mornings listening to NPR reading familiar names was almost like looking at a yearbook. (Oh! I remember that name. Yep, I remember the Letters from Kosovo series, etc). good thing because there is a LOT of people named in this book. Not sure a person not familiar with NPR would follow along as well in the beginning of the book- moves a little slow.

i did enjoy learning more about the structure of NPR and public radio. I ,too, was under the assumption NPR was the big umbrella of...more
Ahf
I've listened to public radio several times each day for 28 years. Like millions of others I woke up with Bob Edwards, showered with Bob Edwards and have vivid memories of many of his wonderful interviews. I really wanted to read about his life, his motivations, his stories and of course his wrenching and rechid departure from NPR and the start of his own radio show on Serious. He covered all the bases. What blockheads the NPR mangament were at the time - let us hope they can do better in the fu...more
Dan Contrino
Bob had an amazing career before and during his time at NPR. His early days in radio really spotlight how much has changed in broadcasting and in a very short time. I wish this had been a biography rather than a memoir. Bob has some great stories but further detail into many of them and some more context would have really added to the book. Some of the most interesting stories about NPR are too short for those of us that listen regularly and are interested in the early days of the entity. I'm al...more
Kerry
I've been a long-time KCRW/NPR listener so I recognized many of the names in Bob Edwards' book (Sylvia Poggioli, Noah Adams, Susan Stamberg, Red Barber). Anecdotes about putting the radio shows Morning Edition and All Things Considered made for a pleasant reading experience.

According to Edwards, NPR's management really botched the way they handled his "departure" from the network. Sigh. Incompetent management is everywhere.

The book concludes with a few chapters that feel a plug for his satellite...more
Red
I just got bored with this about 200 pages in.
Kalen
Recommended for anyone interested in Bob Edwards himself (duh) or the history of radio. Interesting read about Edwards' career but also the early days of NPR and XM. It was nice to finally hear Edwards' side of the story about his departure from NPR, which was far more sordid than anyone on the outside could have known.

This book is available for free eBook download until 9/9 from any eBook retailer.
I grew up in the 80's and NPR was always on the radio in the car. Cokie Roberts, Bob Edwards, Susan Stamberg... these are the names and voices I remember. And this book was a little glimpse into that, rolled up with interesting stories and snippets and the life of a radio personality. A fun read.
Kirei
Take that, ya lousy jerks!

Bob Edwards talks about working at NPR until his bitter dismissal by the bigwigs. It is hard to know who is truly at fault, but Edwards tells his side of the story and gets his revenge. This book will be of more interest to NPR listeners than to those who never it.
Jim
Mar 26, 2012 Jim added it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012
For a man who was treated seemingly unfairly by a company he had given many decades of his life, Bob Edwards writes in a very non-combative form and with an ease that makes you want to turn the page.
Tonya
For anyone who likes public radio. It really touched a chord for me, since I have worked at public radio in the past, and have also been fired from a station with no explanation.
Adrian
I really liked this book! I liked learning what it is like to be a radio announcer, and even though I've never heard Bob Edwards, I liked him a lot after reading this.
Rob
Excellent look at true journalism. Eventhough he is liberal, I appreciate the fact that his desire is to get the full story and to convey that to his listeners.
Jim Bremser
Great volume, as Bob recounts his odyssey from childhood Kentucky through now. Bob fans, npr junkies, xm listeners should all enjoy it.
Dan Piette
Who would have thought that Bob Edwards could be so whiny, and would use a book like this to settle old scores?
Chris
Not bad, but I would have appreciated more storytelling from someone with his history, and stories...
Joe Mac
This book is filled with great stories
Rick Matisak
Great insights into the history of NPR.
Kimberley Mileski
Kimberley Mileski marked it as to-read
Aug 25, 2014
Sheila
Sheila marked it as to-read
Aug 08, 2014
Mary
Mary marked it as to-read
Aug 05, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
Edward R. Murrow and the Birth of Broadcast Journalism Fridays with Red: A Radio Friendship Irresponsible Freaks, Highball Guzzlers and Unabashed Grafters: A Bob Edwards Chrestomathy Bottlehopper Let My People Go: A Call to End the Oppression of Women in the Church