Start by marking “Worst Case (Jade de Jong, #3)” as Want to Read:
Worst Case (Jade de Jong, #3)

Worst Case (Jade de Jong #3)

P.I. Jade de Jong’s holiday becomes a nightmare when a dive instructor at the scuba resort is found brutally stabbed to death. The only clue is a cryptic postcard in her room. Jade and her estranged lover David Patel put aside their differences and start the hunt, uncovering a massive organised crime operation and a chain of events leading from a horror crash in North Afri ...more
Paperback, Trade Paperback, 256 pages
Published August 1st 2011 by Umuzi

To ask other readers questions about Worst Case, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Worst Case

Maddy
May 17, 2012 Maddy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012-reads
PROTAGONIST: PI Jade de Jong
SETTING: St. Lucia
SERIES: #3 of 3
RATING:3.25

The relationship between PI Jade de Jong and Superintendent David Patel hasn’t always been an easy one. Although separated from his wife, he is still tightly connected to her because of their son. Jade plans a scuba diving vacation in St. Lucia in hopes that they will rediscover each other. Her diving lessons are going terribly; and when David arrives, things aren’t any better. He is quite remote, and it seems that any hope
Matt
Apr 25, 2015 Matt rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Resuming my ongoing interest in Mackenzie's series, I rushed to learn a little more about Jade de Jong and the mysteries in rural South Africa. Attending a scuba holiday with her love interest Superintendent David Patel, Jade is able to finally relax in her surroundings. She's left Johannesburg behind her and can focus on rebuilding the strained relationship. However, earth shattering news brought by David adds new angst to Jade's life and dissolves any possible relationship she and David might ...more
Gloria Feit
Aug 05, 2012 Gloria Feit rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
P.I. Jade de Jong organizes a vacation to a seaside resort with her erstwhile lover, David Patel, only to get involved in a murder investigation and a potential ecological disaster. Some vacation, further complicated by the fact that when David does show up he tells her he is returning to his four-months pregnant wife. So much for a happy trip

Before David’s arrival, Jade was taking scuba diving lessons and attempting to overcome her fear of underwater activities. Her instructor, Amanda, is soon
Dorothy
Oct 17, 2013 Dorothy rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I was looking forward to this book, because I lived in Swaziland for three years and travelled extensively around South Africa, which I loved. I thought this book would give me the opportunity to revisit the landscape I remembered - but it didn't, because there was a lack of description of place. Most of the time, I could imagine the characters' surroundings because of my own memories of the South African coastline and Jo'burg - but other readers would have very little idea.

The characters didn't
Tuck
Oct 08, 2012 Tuck rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: south-africa, noir
pretty exciting new south african mystery, taking place at st lucia, the first world heritage site of SA. jade is a p-eye/assassin for hire and/or justice (as it turns out her long dead momma was too) and she sets up a romantic week on the beach and reefs of south sa with her married cop boyfriend. things go bad quickly though and so lots of plot twists, gruesome violence, unfair rules, double dealing capitalists, thugs, cops, and judges. creepy but efficient hospital admins, rich dudes in humme ...more
Jeanie Jackson
An intricately woven tale of manipulation, murder, and more, this third book in the Jade de Jong series is located in the South African coastal town St. Lucia. The tautly plotted story works well as a stand-alone novel of suspense. However, I would probably have better appreciated Jade’s introspection and her search for herself through her family history had I read the earlier books.
The beginning seemed to drag a bit, but the pace continued to increase throughout the book until I couldn’t put it
Julie
Mar 07, 2016 Julie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's all good, right up to the point when the bad guys' plan is revealed to be the stupidest plan ever.
Cathy Cole
Dec 23, 2011 Cathy Cole rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
First Line: Themba Msamaya didn't suspect a thing on the morning he opened his door to death.

Private investigator Jade de Jong invites her lover, Police Superintendent David Patel, on a scuba diving holiday in hopes that it will solidify their troubled relationship. Instead, Jade discovers that she hates scuba diving, and David puts an end to their affair. However, the next morning, all differences are put aside when one of the resort's diving instructors is found stabbed to death in her room.

Am
Mysterytribune
Jassy Mackenzie is the South African author of Jade De Jong series, a private eye set of stories centered around the main character Jade.

She was born in Rhodesia (as all ex-Zimbabweans still prefer to call it), and moved to South Africa when she was eight years old. The Fallen is her latest novel scheduled to be released by Soho Press on April 10, 2012.

A Brief Summary:

P.I. Jade de Jong invites Superintendent David Patel, her sort of boyfriend, on a scuba diving holiday in St. Lucia with the hope
Bonnie
May 05, 2013 Bonnie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Fallen is third in the Jade de Jong series about corruption in South Africa. Jade is a P.I. who has booked a vacation with her boyfriend David Patel, Superintendent of Johannesburg, in the resort city of St. Lucia. Jade had been taking scuba lessons from Amanda in St. Lucia before David arrived to surprise him. When the diving instructor is found murdered with a cryptic message "813 and The Fallen"on a postcard near the body, Jade is back in super sleuth mode with David's official help. They ...more
Edith Parzefall
Mar 27, 2012 Edith Parzefall rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Fallen is a real page turner but not operating with cheap tricks. From start to finish, there's always something intriguing happening. Jassy Mackenzie skillfully weaves together several subplots and sprinkles in back story set up in previous Jade de Jong books on a need-to-know basis. New readers should have no problems following the book, while I thoroughly enjoyed reconnecting with her protagonists and more shady characters of Jade's past. At the same time a new adventure unfolds and poses ...more
Haley Wood
I had not heard of this series when I received The Fallen as a first-reads giveaway, and I must say that I was pleasantly surprised with this book! It was snappy and action-packed with a strong female lead who's smart and has an edge. The stakes are sufficiently high and the plot took several turns that I never saw coming. The beginning of the book lagged a bit with some world-building, but as someone not familiar with the series or the heroine I appreciated the introduction. I have one criticis ...more
Skip
PI Jade de Jong goes off on holiday with her beau, David Patel, only to be told David's estranged wife is carrying his child from a single relapse. Then, her quiet scuba instructor Amanda is murdered, who had been an air traffic controller previously. David is asked to help the local police investigate and he and Jade get in deep trouble when they uncover a nefarious plot by a businessman to ruin the coastline. Slow beginning, but tense moments as the plot thickens.
Monica
Like the character of Jade, even though her love life is a mess. Her attempt to find out more about her dead mother adds a dimension to the self sufficient and capable investigator who can - and does - kill if necessary. The setting - a pristine diving resort in SA threatened by mining interests - is interesting. The plot has enough twists to keep the reader engaged till the end.
Joann
ARGH!! I liked it till the ending. A cliff hanger and I did some research and readers say it is summed up in her #4 sequel. So, I am buying the book but if it ends again with a huge question mark, then I'll quit reading this series. Finish the ending of your books, please, in the same book. Maddening.
Margot
Jun 08, 2012 Margot rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I like this series by Jassy Mackenzie and recommend that the books be read in order to give a better understanding of the protaganist. I also enjoy reading and learning about present day South Africa. Looking forward the 4th book.
Megster189
There were loose ends here, and a few too many convenient coincidences kept the plot moving. Still enjoyable, especially if you don't question the events too deeply. I did like the environmental aspect. Truly terrifying to imagine the damage that could be done by a few twisted individuals.
Andy Plonka
Jan 15, 2012 Andy Plonka rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Aside from giving her main character the skills to perform tasks and telling the reader about it before she gets in a situation where said skills are needed, the author has produced a totally unexpected ending that is sure to satisfy most readers.
Graham Botha
Aug 18, 2016 Graham Botha rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A suspenseful detective story that leaves the reader suspended.

I liked he tension and clever interweaving of the plot. I did not like the way the author left the reader with unresolved issues. A good read for lovers of mystery/detective stories.
Jeanne
Apr 27, 2012 Jeanne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really a great thriller. I've enjoyed all of the Jade de Jong books. The author gives a true to life feel for post apartheird So. Africa!
Kim Hathorn
May 25, 2012 Kim Hathorn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Oh man...The action was superb and heartstopping, but I did.not.like the ending at all.
Annie
May 15, 2012 Annie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
another most excellnt 5 star read!
Nicholas
Oct 06, 2011 Nicholas rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Fun, but not as good as the previous Jade de Jong books. A bit more contrived. Not without potential, though, for the future of the series. Read as _Worst Case_, the South African version.
Huluriasquias
Aug 21, 2012 Huluriasquias rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dropped
It failed to hold my interest. I was not able to finish it. I found the characters unfocused and it seemed they just wandered around aimlessly through the novel.
Joggingt
Was a little slow in the beginning but it picked up. Wort the read and will check out next of the series.
David
Mar 13, 2012 David rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Review submitted to Suspense Magazine
Gwyn Rasmussen
Nov 22, 2012 Gwyn Rasmussen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this book when it was called Worst Case....
Shoshana Ashley
May 17, 2012 Shoshana Ashley rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
check out my review at http://midasfive.com/?p=313
Judith Federico
Didnt much like the protagonist and the ending was very ambiguous.
Maria Kiguthi
Feb 27, 2013 Maria Kiguthi rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another great Jade de Jong book. A pending environmental disaster, a plane crash, and many other incidents are all related. Very suspenseful.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • Trackers (Lemmer #2)
  • Children of the Street (Darko Dawson #2)
  • Buried Strangers (Chief Inspector Mario Silva #2)
  • Blessed Are the Dead  (Detective Emmanuel Cooper #3)
  • Kingdom of Strangers (Nayir Sharqi & Katya Hijazi #3)
  • Cop To Corpse (Peter Diamond, #12)
  • White Sky, Black Ice (Nathan Active Mystery, #1)
  • The Mask (Vanessa Michael Munroe, #5)
  • Death of the Mantis (Detective Kubu, #3)
  • Capture
  • The Viper
  • Thirteen Million Dollar Pop (Frank Behr, #3)
  • The Taking of Libbie, SD (Mac McKenzie, #7)
  • Die Easy (Charlie Fox Thriller, #10)
  • Night Rounds (Inspector Huss #2)
  • A Bali Conspiracy Most Foul (Inspector Singh Investigates #2)
  • Brutality (Fina Ludlow, #3)
  • The Golden Scales (Makana, #1)
Jassy Mackenzie lives in Johannesburg, South Africa, and was inspired to write her first thriller, Random Violence, after being carjacked at gunpoint in her driveway.

She is the author of the Jade de Jong thriller series, featuring a feisty female PI who prefers to operate outside the law, and has also written four erotic romances.

Jassy loves horse riding, cycling, traveling, cooking and reading.
More about Jassy Mackenzie...

Jade de Jong (5 books)
  • Random Violence (Jade de Jong, #1)
  • Stolen Lives (Jade de Jong, #2)
  • Pale Horses (Jade de Jong, #4)
  • Bad Seeds (Jade de Jong, #5)

“Or perhaps he was just one of those people who only opened his mouth to change feet.” 3 likes