Start by marking “Behind Enemy Lines: World War II (I Am Canada)” as Want to Read:
Behind Enemy Lines: World War II (I Am Canada)

Behind Enemy Lines: World War II (I Am Canada)

3.98 of 5 stars 3.98  ·  rating details  ·  49 ratings  ·  7 reviews
Published February 1st 2012 by Scholastic Canada

To ask other readers questions about Behind Enemy Lines, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Behind Enemy Lines

Nicola Mansfield
Reason for Reading: I'm reading every book in this series, I love WWII historical fiction and I've enjoyed other books by the author.

Another fantastic book in this series. Scholastic.ca is keeping this series in top-form by (so far) only using well-known literary award-winning writers of children's literature. By the list of authors included one can tell the quality of writing is going to be top-notch. Carol Matas writes various genres but she is most well known for her Holocaust historical fict
Susan
Matas has added another piece of historical fiction for young readers to her extensive title list. Matas writes well and attends to detail. The "I am Canada" series is "Dear Canada" for boys. This one shows a side of World War II from a Canadian prisoner of war perspective. Although it doesn't top the list for me, it's an interesting adventure read. Fair-Good. Not a must-have book but not for the dust bin either.
Elle
Apr 07, 2014 Elle rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: t-man
Last night I caught my 10 year old reluctant reader, reading this book after bedtime by the dim light coming from his window. I've rarely been happier. A million thank you's to the author and creators of this series of books.
Derek
This book was absolutely great, describing the horror of war and the holocaust.
But I would have liked to have a greater introduction, like which squadron did Sam come from.
That would have been wonderful, but overall this was a amazing book.
But is this book really for children? I found it relatively scary...
Nicole
This book was absoultely horrific and pulled no punches when it came to describing WW2 and (espeically)the Holocaust. Matas captured the horror and evilness perfectly. The scenes from insdie the camp will give me nightmares. I haven't been this disturbed by a (apparently) children's book in possibly ever.
Blair
Good at the beginning but it got less exciting near the middle and end of the book.
Christopher Higdon
Christopher Higdon marked it as to-read
Dec 18, 2014
Steven
Steven marked it as to-read
Nov 24, 2014
Dianne
Dianne marked it as to-read
Nov 20, 2014
Katie
Katie marked it as to-read
Oct 08, 2014
Evie
Evie marked it as to-read
Sep 27, 2014
Tamra
Tamra marked it as to-read
Jul 26, 2014
Katherine
Katherine marked it as to-read
Jul 03, 2014
Connie L.
Connie L. marked it as to-read
May 18, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »

I Am Canada (10 books)
  • Blood and Iron: Building the Railroad, Lee Heen-gwong, British Columbia, 1882 (I Am Canad)
  • Shot at Dawn: World War I, Allan McBride, France, 1917 (I Am Canada)
  • Deadly Voyage: RMS Titanic, Jamie Laidlaw, April 14, 1912
  • Prisoner of Dieppe: World War II, Alistair Morrison, Occupied France, 1942 (I Am Canada)
  • Graves of Ice: The Lost Franklin Expedition, The Northwest Passage, George Chambers, 1845
  • Fire in the Sky: World War I, Paul Townend, Over No Man's Land, 1916
  • A Call to Battle: War of 1812 (I Am Canada)
  • Storm the Fortress: The Siege of Quebec, William Jenkins, New France, 1759
  • Sink and Destroy: The Battle of the Atlantic, Bill O'Connell, North Atlantic, 1940
Daniel's Story Of Two Minds (Minds, #1) More Minds (Minds, #2) After the War Footsteps in the Snow: The Red River Diary of Isobel Scott