#Self: Taming Your Inner Online Menace

#Self: Taming Your Inner Online Menace

2.95 of 5 stars 2.95  ·  rating details  ·  108 ratings  ·  31 reviews
Discover the fine art of netiquette brush up on the dos and don"ts of online dating and make some spare change without changing your underwear. An indispensable guide to becoming a savvier online you #Self: Taming Your Inner Online Menace offers practical advice and tongue-in-cheek wit on navigating one of the most intimidating (and exhilarating!) places out there - the in...more
ebook
Published May 2011 by Kobo Books

Ramreva
Complete review at : My book review

The Book in a Nutshell

*the book starts from birth of Your Internet life
*walk you through the memory lane
*reminds you of your past mistakes
*makes you realize the folly
*tells you how to grow up, and stop whining on Facebook, and commenting crap
*shows you the direction to a new set of Internet tools/sites to make better use atleast now
*by then, you will know where you stand
*helps you clean your online activities, so that you don't lose a job b'cos of it
*admonishes...more
Max
The problem with a book like this is that certain aspects of it can only stay relevant for so long. There are a couple different chapters that discuss social networks ranging from Myspace to Facebook and many in between. No where in there, however, does the book discuss Google+. That's not necessarily the book's fault since Google+ is so new, but it's lacking information. In fact, there seems to be a real lack of Google products in general throughout the book. In the section on blogging, there i...more
Christopher Fox
One of the few (the only?) books I've ever read written in the second person. Having created a generic Online You, Madden breezes through a quick history of the internet followed by many pages of capsulized information on managing all aspects of your surfing life. Written in 2011 and presumably up-to-date then, this book was out of date before it was published (only as an e-book) and thus is more of a nostalgia trip than a today's useful guide. It's hard to know who would benefit from this book....more
Blair
Jan 01, 2012 Blair rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Anyone older than, say, 30 who isn't very experienced online
Recommended to Blair by: Kobo gave me the book.... was it a hint?
Shelves: non-fiction, internet
I didn't get very much from this book. I've spent a lot of my life on the 'net and, as such, a lot of this stuff was old hat to me. I've had to think very hard about how to rate the book, as certain things I found useless could be invaluable to someone less 'net savvy. Other aspects of the book, however, pissed me off regardless of whether or not it was new advice to me.

The premise of the book is that the first big wave of mainstream internet users, despite being in their late 20s and early 30s,...more
Linda
This book all of a sudden appeared in my Kobo books library. I did not but it, but Hey, if you get a free book, why not read it?

The theory of the author is that after about 15 years of internet usage your internet self has reached its puberty and that it is time to tame him/her: so do away with your email address "fluffiebunny69@msn.com" if you seriously want to apply for a job, make sure that your boss cannot see your binge drinking pictures taken during your Saturday nights out and know the ri...more
Jayanth J
The book started off with a lot of expectation. The author pointed down the evolution of internet along with the young teens in 90's. As the teens level of maturity grew, their view about the internet changes in early 2000's. Then She moved into the world of blogging, facebook and twitter and how they changed the teens thinking. For the youth who want to share whatever they come across in fb and twitter, this book has got some tips on consequences it may have in their future and how to get rid o...more
Michael
Your Online Self in contrast to your Real Self. The author definitely knows what she is talking about. It's very will written with a great sense of humor. I got a couple of new things that I didn't know and that made it worth it. This books was sitting in an old ereader app, and I don't have any idea how long it was there, but it's still mostly relevant.
This book was really entertaining, quite funny and full of advice and internet websites to check out. The author divides "you" into an online you and the real you and uses high school analogies to make her points about how online you is sabotaging the real you by doing silly things on the internet that real you would never actually do in real life.

She covers everything from posting on facebook and twitter, to job hunting, dating and other ways to network with people with the same interests as yo...more
It was around when the author suggested a scenario where your Neopet would die if you didn't give it food you had to pay real money for that I understood this book was bad.

I hope you like books about how ever-so-lulzy memes are, chapter upon chapter of glorified links pages, and the occasional dollop of misogyny just because. I can't imagine why you had to give this one away, Kobo.
Olivia Shaw
very dry reading
Based on the references, this e-book seems tailor-made for people of Generation Y, give or take a few years. Sometimes, it's a trip down memory lane, other times it's slap of common sense; some useful information to remember -- of which is promptly forgotten because one moves on to the next chapter. It's not horrible for a free read and if you remembering the way it was (assuming you're of a similar age as stated at the beginning).
Ebeneezer
This book says that, because the internet is so young, everyone uses it like they're still teenagers. It says we need to grow up. But isn't that what makes social media so appealing - that everyone uses it like a fucked-up teenager? Certainly the only entertaining thing about this book is that it reads like it was written by a teenage Republican. I read it only because it came free with the Kobo app for Android.
Ewald
Thanks for the free book.
Nisah Haron
I read this book simply because it is a free book on KOBO. Since it is already in my device, so I thought why not just give it a go. It was an ok book, informative but most of them I already knew. But, I found out some new cool stuff, like there is such a thing as "Google Art Project"! No one told me that.

But this book is quite entertaining, nonetheless!
Edina Truth-Jones
i just started really getting into this book. quite hilarious.. i'm not even sure how this came onto my e-shelf..pretty sure the obnoxious title had something to do with it, but i'm glad its there.. she's breaking breaking down the blurred lines of the real you and the online you.. yo, online personalities scare me
Matthew Siemers
Interesting read with some helpful information. One odd thing was that this book is about being more mature online, acting like an adult, but all the comparisons used were that of high school. If I need to be an adult online why should I act or use websites in a high school manner?
Mark
Short summary:

-Was book worth reading - kind of, no real valuable content although not a complete waste of time.
-Did I learn anything from this book - yes, but nothing life changing.
-Would I recommend this book - maybe a 'silver surfer' or 'amniotic sack surfer' would benefit by it.
Amanda
Though not overly helpful and a bit dated, this short "guide" was actually pretty funny in some parts. It got a little tedious towards the end, but for a quick read, it wasn't horrible. I found the parts about emoticons and the dos and don'ts of Twitter to be especially hilarious.
Dan
I thought this book was funny. If you want to understand how it all started, this online lifestyle we do now with facebook and twitter, then you want to read this. I still think twitter is pointless after reading this and seeing the how-to in how to be a great tweeter.
Jarek Piórkowski
This book explains the internet to thirtysomethings who can't really internet well. It was promoted and free in the Kobo store. Its other redeeming quality is that it is mercifully short. I am not really sure why I read it.
Andrew Lim
This is an interesting read for those who are used to the idea of using the internet for multiple things like sharing photos, selling and trading stuffs. Amust read for geeks of all levels.
Davide
Nice book, nothing special actually but still a good guide to survive the Internet social jungle. I particularly liked the chapters about work & online ways to make some money.
Glen
OK. Most of it I already knew, and most of the rest was not relevant to me. Readers should bear in mind that this sort of material goes out of date very quickly.
Saovanee
ได้ความรู้เกี่ยวกับอินเตอร์เนตเพิ่มขึ้นน๊ะ เพราะมีหลายอย่างที่ตัวเองไม่รู้เลย ใครจะคิดว่าโลกในจอสี่เหลี่ยมจะกว้างใหญ่เท่าจักรวาล
Georgina
I just read this book because it was given to me as a gift. Entertaining, and kinda useful.
Leigh
awful book. funny in a few parts, but they are the only bright spots in the book.
Sang Ayu Putu
easy read, funny, informative and very tongue-in-cheek in its humour.
Mckinley
Was in my Kobo account. So I took a look. Very basic. And dated.
Hp Test
Interesting book for (writing comments...)
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »