Start by marking “Specimen 313” as Want to Read:
Specimen 313

Specimen 313

A free short story taken straight from the pages of THE MONSTER'S CORNER, an all original anthology from some of today's hottest supernatural writers, featuring stories from the monster's point of view.

SPECIMEN 313 is the story of a meat-eating plant named Max, surviving in the greenhouse with his mad doctor keeper when he gets a new female neighbor.
Published August 17th 2011 by St. Martin's Griffin

To ask other readers questions about Specimen 313, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Specimen 313

Dan Schwent
Mar 11, 2014 Dan Schwent rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebooks, 2015
A flesh-eating plant named Max gets a new neighbor, Specimen 313, aka Jenny. What are these strange feelings Max starts experiencing?

Jeff Strand is one of my favorite self-published authors so I was sure Specimen 313 would be an enjoyable experience. For once, I was right.

Specimen 313 is a love story of sorts, set in a lab of experimental plants. That's pretty much all I should divulge since the story is only 17 pages. Strand hits his usual high notes in the humor and gore departments, deliverin
Kelly (and the Book Boar)
Find all of my reviews at: http://52bookminimum.blogspot.com/

Houston commercial photography

“I ask you, would a madman create a cherry tree with fruits that ooze deadly poison? Would a madman develop blades of grass sharp enough to slice off your fingers?”

Mitchell says no to all of the above.

Jeff Strand won my heart with Kumquat, so when Dan’s review of this little freebie popped up I was all over it like flies on a pu pu platter. What an adorable horror this one turned out to be.

This is the (super short) tale of Specimen
Zoeytron
A tasty tidbit for those who are deadly serious about their gardening techniques. Dr. Prethorius is fastidious with the care and feeding of his plants; mayhap a bit more attention to arrangement would be in order?

This was a lighthearted tale of horror that works very well. I will be checking out more of Jeff Strand's work.
Becky
I love these short stories for being quick reads while I'm running errands. This one was rather cute and sweet in a demented carnivorous way. I'll definitely remember to water my houseplants from now on!
Jason Parent
Jul 15, 2015 Jason Parent rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Warner Brothers Presents' Little Shop of Horrors: A Love Story. This was a quick, fun read. It was rather light and light-hearted (for a dark tale) and I enjoyed it quite a bit. One paragraph by the scientist had me laughing out loud. Good stuff, and typical Strand (from what I've seen thus far).
Kaisersoze
Jan 21, 2015 Kaisersoze rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Many years ago, when I was studying creative writing, we were set the task of re-writing a classic tale from the POV of a minor character. I got my highest mark for that class by choosing to write the siege of Troy from the POV of the Wooden Horse (the poor thing basically had the runs). Much as I hate to admit it, the warped mind of Jeff Strand has one-upped me with this fantastic short story, told from the POV of a love-sick human-eating plant that has been grown by an evil scientist in his la ...more
Char
Dec 15, 2011 Char rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a nasty little short which reminded me slightly of The Day of the Triffids, except the Triffids weren't this bad. Or were they?
I also liked the name of the doctor featured in the story: Doctor Prethorius.
It's hard to say too much without spoilers, so I will just leave it at I LOVED IT!

Melki
May 24, 2015 Melki rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror, short-fiction
Technically, I read this one last October in The Monster's Corner: Stories Through Inhuman Eyes, but today's reread was most enjoyable.

It's a simple eco-friendly tale of two plants who become close friends.

description

Once you go green, you never go back.
Pamellia
Jun 19, 2014 Pamellia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Recommended
Recommended to Pamellia by: Friends
Shelves: 2014
A cute comical story of a mad scientist whose joy in life is his many greenhouse plants. Meet Max and 313 for this fun read.

Recommended

5 star rating

LOL
Badseedgirl
Sometimes it's more important to have a good friend than a lover.
Ofelia Gränd
Feb 10, 2017 Ofelia Gränd rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
description

Meghan
Sep 30, 2012 Meghan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cute story. What happens when two plants fall in love in a "scientist's laboratory." Short story, though not advertised as one on Kindle, which irks me because it's not a book when it's only a few pages, but the story made me for it.
Kathy
Feb 04, 2017 Kathy rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle
Very short story on my Kindle, I looked for another by a new author I had just read. This was some kind of cheesy "Little Shop of Horrors" story. A mad scientist is experimenting with plants, mainly Venus Fly Traps. He is feeding them homeless people. The story is told from the view point of one of the plants. One day, he knows he is feeling weird, but not why. When a new plant, Specimen 313 is placed by him, he knows it is because he was lonely, and falls in love with her. After a few days, the ...more
Pearce Hansen
Mar 01, 2012 Pearce Hansen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This free story is a fine example of just how much exposure Amazon gives new and upcoming authors. Jeff Strand is well worth further reading.

The story itself is a little silly: the loves and quandaries of a hothouse full of experimental man-eating plants. But the lightheartedness is obviously deliberate, and its the voice and style I fell in love with. In theme and handling, there was a mid-century New Yorker retro feel to it -- in its best passages I was reminded of John Collier's 1951 collecti
Todd Russell
Nasty plants with heart and soul grown and cultivated by a mad doctor. (view spoiler) Nice reading a short story written from the monster's point of view. All the stories in The Monster's Corner: Stories Through Inhuman Eyes are written from the monster's point of view and Amazon is running a special where some are available to read for free. Probably a limited time deal, so if you're interested in checking them out, may want to ...more
Selwa
I read this little gem in about 15 minutes while using the recumbent bike (what a great way to work through my Kindle collection!), and enjoyed all 15 minutes :)

Though I may avoid greenhouses for a little while...
Shadow Girl
Jun 02, 2014 Shadow Girl rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Good short, but I CANNOT figure out where I read this before! Feels like it was A HACKED UP HOLIDAY MASSACRE, but, that's not right.
I'll be caught up on reviews in a couple days... keep your pants on...
Gatorman
Feb 17, 2012 Gatorman rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A cool little short story about man-eating plants told from their perspective. Fun to read.
Anne
Kinda gimmicky. Reminded me a lot of a Goosebumps story.

Not awful, but just meh.
Chris
Jan 10, 2012 Chris rated it really liked it
Shelves: horror, 2012-reads
Just like life in the middle ages. Brutal and short... Oh, and fun too. Sort of reminded me of a story that you would read in the Tales of the Unexpected comic books from when I was a kid.
Crystal Connor
Jan 05, 2016 Crystal Connor rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
That was short but mighty good.
Lynne
Apr 22, 2014 Lynne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Jeff Strand is a really good writer. An excellent short story for those with an interest in plants. As far as plant terror goes, this is up there with The Triffids.
Elke
This was so sweet! Despite the circumstance that the main character is a man-eating plant, Specimen 313 is a heartrending tale about loving friendship that put a smile on my face.
Mark
Jan 07, 2015 Mark rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Day of The Triffids meets... well, just read it and see!
Frank
Sep 10, 2015 Frank rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Who knew short form plant horror could be so freakin' perfect. I gave a short story four stars. That speaks volumes in my world. Delicious.
Travis
Jun 02, 2014 Travis rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nice, short lunch time read. This story reminded me of a darker version of Little Shop of Horrors. I'll definitely be checking out more by Jeff Strand.
Arie Antonia
This story was silly. A mad scientist creating plants for devious purposes and the story is told from the plants point of view. This is one of the few times i just dont know what to say
CJ Long
Mar 06, 2017 CJ Long rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I want a Max!!
Rêvvâ Tênâg
Feb 20, 2017 Rêvvâ Tênâg rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
a free humorous little read in the minds of plants
A Reader's Heaven
This story was taken straight from the pages of The Monster's Corner: Stories Through Inhuman Eyes, an all original anthology featuring stories from the monster’s point of view.

Meat-eating plants with personalities - sounded cool to me. An interesting concept, without doubt, but I think I would have preferred a longer version. There was, I thought,
  • The Lake
  • Last Dance of a Black Widow
  • Head Cases
  • Demons and Other Inconveniences
207708
Author of a bunch of demented books, including PRESSURE, DWELLER, A BAD DAY FOR VOODOO, WOLF HUNT, SINGLE WHITE PSYCHOPATH SEEKS SAME, BENJAMIN'S PARASITE, FANGBOY, THE SINISTER MR. CORPSE, and lots of others. Three-time Bram Stoker Award finalist. Three-time Bram Stoker Award loser. Four-time Bram Stoker Award Master of Ceremonies.
More about Jeff Strand...