Specimen 313

Specimen 313

3.72 of 5 stars 3.72  ·  rating details  ·  273 ratings  ·  46 reviews
A free short story taken straight from the pages of THE MONSTER’S CORNER, an all original anthology from some of today’s hottest supernatural writers, featuring stories from the monster’s point of view.

SPECIMEN 313 is the story of a meat-eating plant named Max, surviving in the greenhouse with his mad doctor keeper when he gets a new female neighbor.
Published August 17th 2011 by St. Martin's Griffin

To ask other readers questions about Specimen 313, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Specimen 313

Zoeytron
A tasty tidbit for those who are deadly serious about their gardening techniques. Dr. Prethorius is fastidious with the care and feeding of his plants; mayhap a bit more attention to arrangement would be in order?

This was a lighthearted tale of horror that works very well. I will be checking out more of Jeff Strand's work.
Pamellia
Aug 19, 2014 Pamellia rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Recommended
Recommended to Pamellia by: Friends
Shelves: 2014
A cute comical story of a mad scientist whose joy in life is his many greenhouse plants. Meet Max and 313 for this fun read.

Recommended

5 star rating

LOL
Charlene
This was a nasty little short which reminded me slightly of The Day of the Triffids, except the Triffids weren't this bad. Or were they?
I also liked the name of the doctor featured in the story: Doctor Prethorius.
It's hard to say too much without spoilers, so I will just leave it at I LOVED IT!

Todd Russell
Nasty plants with heart and soul grown and cultivated by a mad doctor. (view spoiler) Nice reading a short story written from the monster's point of view. All the stories in The Monster's Corner: Stories Through Inhuman Eyes are written from the monster's point of view and Amazon is running a special where some are available to read for free. Probably a limited time deal, so if you're interested in checking them out, may want to...more
Pearce Hansen
This free story is a fine example of just how much exposure Amazon gives new and upcoming authors. Jeff Strand is well worth further reading.

The story itself is a little silly: the loves and quandaries of a hothouse full of experimental man-eating plants. But the lightheartedness is obviously deliberate, and its the voice and style I fell in love with. In theme and handling, there was a mid-century New Yorker retro feel to it -- in its best passages I was reminded of John Collier's 1951 collecti...more
Meghan
Cute story. What happens when two plants fall in love in a "scientist's laboratory." Short story, though not advertised as one on Kindle, which irks me because it's not a book when it's only a few pages, but the story made me for it.
Chris
Just like life in the middle ages. Brutal and short... Oh, and fun too. Sort of reminded me of a story that you would read in the Tales of the Unexpected comic books from when I was a kid.
Gatorman
A cool little short story about man-eating plants told from their perspective. Fun to read.
Kevin Hammond
Love this. it has absolutely everything I need in a short story. There is a healthy dose of madness, along with a mad scientist. it has the proper measure of depravity, freakish imagination and of course, shovel beatings. I don't really know that I could have asked for more. though I see the author has more work so I suppose I can be very happy with that.
if I could make a recommendation to anyone who does see this review I would say use this free book as a stepping stone into this writers madnes...more
Mya
This is just the cutest little macabre tale. It reminds me of 'The Little Shop of Horrors' with the sentient plant, but through what little horror and gore there is, I couldn't help rooting for the plant. I almost find this tale- which I have read twice already- to be a sort of fairy tale. A true joy to read!
Querus Abuttu
Apr 24, 2012 Querus Abuttu rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who loves fun horror...
I loved this short story by Jeff Strand. It was a creative greenhouse tale that was easy for my brain to munch on and left me quite satisfied.

What did I dislike? I hate that Jeff's short story is on Amazon for free. He's a talented writer, and deserves to be paid for this fun piece of prose. Amazon has it for easy pick up, and I'd rather hand the money directly to Jeff than to do a free download. If you have any pride in reading good work, and want to recognize the author with the tribute he de...more
Shadow Girl
Good short, but I CANNOT figure out where I read this before! Feels like it was A HACKED UP HOLIDAY MASSACRE, but, that's not right.
I'll be caught up on reviews in a couple days... keep your pants on...
Michelle
Its an interesting premise. Think about the movie A Little Shop Of Horrors being told from the perspective of the plant. I like it well enough I just wish it was flushed out more.
Travis
Nice, short lunch time read. This story reminded me of a darker version of Little Shop of Horrors. I'll definitely be checking out more by Jeff Strand.
Brian Mcclain
Short, sweet, and a great introduction to the kind of writing I've come to expect from Mr. Strand.
onwardandbookward
I was drawn in because this was a free kindle book, and I’m glad I downloaded it and spent all of ten minutes reading it. This was a very light read and a little silly. Specimen 313 is written in the point of view of Max, a meat eating plant. He is just beginning to grow discontent with his life when a new friend-Specimen 313, who prefers to be called Jenny-is planted next to him. They bond over munching on their creator’s unfortunate victims. Soon, a friendship blossoms even as Max’s leaves beg...more
Jim Glover
Not a bad story. Just reminded me of a goosebumps story. Little goofy.
Chris
I've only read two other works by this author........... both were excellent! Thuis short story can join that list as well! Wonderfully written............ quick to read. Loved the characters..... the uh .......... plants! LOL Add this to your "to read" list and enjoy!
Annie
Ab jetzt bin ich immer nett zu meinen Pflanzen!
Esme
"Feed me, Seymour!" Die Kurzgeschichte Specimen 313 von Jeff Strand ist eher humoristisch als gruselig. Ein wahnsinniger Wissenschaftler züchtet ganz besondere Pflanzen. Herzstück seiner Forschungen sind die menschenfressenden Venusfliegenfallen. Max - Specimen 287 - ist eine traurige und grüblerische Pflanze, bis er Jenny - Specimen 313 - begegnet. Diese Kurzgeschichte macht Spaß, weil sie aus Sicht der Killerpflanzen erzählt ist und gleichzeitig eine Geschichte über florale Freundschaft ist. S...more
Rebecca
I read this short story previously and thought it was knock-down, drag-you-about hilarious! It reminded me pleasantly of the Little Shop of Horrors movie, only this time, the plant gets the girl. No kidding. Oh, but don't worry! The girl is a plant too, I promise. This is a leafy romance between two really big, really carnivorous experiments in meaty horticulture, getting their revenge on.

Specimen 313 will leave you blinking in surprise and giggling into your shirt collar!
Adriaan
Very nice! The main character is a plant; a Venus fly trap at that. He is such a loveable plant, even though he eats people, I found myself rooting for him. His caretaker is a fargin bastage. I did not care for him at all. And get this: there's a bit of a love story, too! I enjoyed this tale very much.
Aurora
As much as I enjoyed this short story, I can't give it 5 stars because of the character of the professor. Seemed more like a place-holder than a real person. The plant viewpoint was awesome though and the dialogue was simple but fit the story very well. An easy fast read that's a break from the norm.
Wanda Hartzenberg
Specimen 313 by Jeff Strand
This short story was a fun read that reminded me of The Little shop of Horrors. Due to the length I do not wish to say more regarding the story itself but it was well written and entertaining and well worth the read. A 4 * review rating for this little story.
WaAr
Kathy Jackson
A cute little novelette about a few genetically altered Venus flytraps and the madman who thought to make up such a creature. The story is short, funny but with a tiny bit of gore. It is a teaser to another book that is coming out or is out now but I am not sure which.
Pia Cathrin
Interesting concept. A little short, obviously, but for a free e-book, what more can you expect? It's well written and the idea is kinda different than what you usually read. It's worth the read.
Wendy
One story within a larger anthology.

I'm trying to overcome my loathing of short stories, so this one fell between It was Ok, and I Liked it.

Amanda
I more dignified version of Lil Shop of Horrors. I got a kick out of it but freaked me out that houseplants can talk. I'm now glad that I have a black thumb.
Juliette
Short story.

This isn't a great story, but it's refreshingly different from vampires and zombies. It goes where you expect it to go.
  • The Lake
  • The Nightmare Within
  • Clickers
  • Monster in the Mirror - A Short Story
  • The Vampire Club
  • The Sky Used to be Blue: a Silo story (Karma)
  • Itsy Bitsy
  • After: First Light (After, #0.5)
  • The Hoard
  • Cat Calls
  • The Turtle Boy (Timmy Quinn #1)
207708
Author of a bunch of demented books, including PRESSURE, DWELLER, A BAD DAY FOR VOODOO, WOLF HUNT, SINGLE WHITE PSYCHOPATH SEEKS SAME, BENJAMIN'S PARASITE, FANGBOY, THE SINISTER MR. CORPSE, and lots of others. Three-time Bram Stoker Award finalist. Three-time Bram Stoker Award loser. Four-time Bram Stoker Award Master of Ceremonies.
More about Jeff Strand...
Dweller Pressure Wolf Hunt Graverobbers Wanted: No Experience Necessary (Andrew Mayhem #1) A Bad Day For Voodoo