Start by marking “Remote Control” as Want to Read:
Remote Control

Remote Control (Nick Stone #1)

3.88  ·  Rating Details ·  3,324 Ratings  ·  130 Reviews
Few writers know the intricate landscape of special operations like Andy McNab. A member of the crack elite force the Special Air Service for seventeen years, McNab saw duty all over the world--and was the British Army's most highly decorated serving soldier when he resigned in 1993.

Now, in Remote Control, his explosive fiction debut, McNab has drawn on his personal experi
Published July 3rd 1997 by Bantam Press (first published January 1st 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Remote Control, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Remote Control

Lewis Weinstein
I was surprised by how much I liked this book.

It started out as another "high action" thriller, the kind of book I like to read at night to clear my mind after the "research-for-my-writing" I often read during the day.

Then an eight year old girl named Kelly came onto the scene and everything changed.

The action is sustained from beginning to end, presented with the edge that only someone who has really been there can command. The writing is crisp. What early on struck me as too much detail beca
Christopher
Moderately disappointed in this book, which was very surprising. I had read Andy McNab's Bravo Two Zero in the mid 90s and loved it, and as a result, perhaps I set the bar too high for this, which was McNab's first novel.

In Bravo Two Zero--McNab's account of his SAS team in action in Iraq during the 1991 Gulf War--he showed considerable talent for first-person narrative and description. His insights into the demands on special forces operatives were very colorful and a pleasure to read. He knows
Simone Perren
This is the first Andy McNab book that I have ever read which actually works out well because it is also the first one he has ever written. For the most part I really enjoyed it but there were a couple of points which I think need to be sorted out before the next book in the series.
This book follows Nick Stone finding the bodies of his friend's family, all murdered in their own home. He thinks that all of the family have been killed but just before he is about to leave the house, he realises tha
Helen
Aug 20, 2012 Helen rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this because my husband loved it. And I can see why; a British special forces operative has to track down the dirty dogs who killed his friend’s family at the same time that he's caring for their surviving seven-year-old daughter. Written by the most highly decorated SAS soldier, ever. What could be bad about that?

He sure has the little girl thing down. He knows what they like to eat, he knows what they like to wear, he knows what they like to talk about, and how they want to be a part of
Graham
Dec 20, 2008 Graham rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller
McNab’s first fiction effort is a corker of a book, following a by-now familiar pattern in its structure but still remaining as fresh as its day of release.

The action-packed plot sees McNab’s hero Nick Stone taking out Irish bombers in Gibraltar, before we suddenly jump forward nine years and find him investigating the brutal slaying of a fellow SAS man in Washington. Before you know it, McNab concocts an enthralling odd-couple chase thriller, as Stone is forced to fly with the now-orphaned 7 y
Jim Whitefield
Feb 14, 2012 Jim Whitefield rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Author Andy McNab is ex-SAS and he weaves a detailed knowledge of not just what happens in the covert military world, but often explains exactly how the little things are done and achieved, throughout his masterly work. In this edge-of-your-seat thriller, that ability just adds spice to the gripping storyline. This is a most unusual setting and has a side to it that is enthralling, breath-taking, and at times very worrying, but it would immediately spoil things if revealed. All I can say is that ...more
Bob
Aug 31, 2008 Bob rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As I said in a previous review, he's a really good story-teller. This is a well-composed story of drug-smuggling and government abuse of power. From someone else you might just accept that as part of the story, from McNab you'd suspect that it was simply well-informed. I was most impressed with the character of the young girl. He clearly knows eight-year-old girls well enough to know what they are really like, but can also put one through the experience of having her family killed and then havin ...more
Gem
Aug 22, 2011 Gem rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favourite
Meet Nick Stone - cool, calm and collected with plenty of finesse and a level head in every situation. Stone really is a 'too good to be true' kind of character. And I love him!

I read this book a long time ago on a plane but I know that it was one of my favourites. The techniques that McNab outlines evidently come from experience and the action never lies dormant for long. I can remember this one being a little more complicated to read than the likes of Chris Ryan and Lee Child but it is very mu
Trung
Jun 09, 2011 Trung rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great read on the end of being an enjoyable action thriller. It's written smartly without having to sacrifice to become simplistic. McNab's an author who will just use a phrase and explain it easily without having a huge lull in the action. You can tell that he was somebody who did the deed back in the day and isn't afraid to relay that information through his character, Nick Stone.

Maybe if I read enough of these books, I'll be able to have enough know how of tradecraft to get by if I ever neede
Jim McGowan
Oct 10, 2009 Jim McGowan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The first Nick Stone novel, and one of the best. A more involved plot (something I find lacking in the more recent Stone novels), and a real page turner. Much more 'down and dirty' that other 'spycraft' novels I have read, and the main character is very engaging.
Stefan Svartling
Nothing special. Pure action with some social drama. He writes action scenes very well.
Vladimir Ivanov
Sep 29, 2016 Vladimir Ivanov rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Когда бывшие военные ударяются в писательство, как правило, читать их труды невозможно. Макнаб в этом смысле приятное исключение - излагает легко, с шутками, с остроумными замечаниями.

"Дистанционный контроль" – довольно стандартный боевичок про "черного" агента SAS, который в ходе миссии за рубежом попал в сложную ситуацию, домой вернуться не может, за ним охотятся местные бандиты, продажные менты и спецслужбы, а родное британское правительство активно отмораживается, типа "их там нет" – и при в
Pete Marchetto
Dec 23, 2015 Pete Marchetto rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My first five-star book for a while for a work which, while not in my most favoured genre, pressed all the right buttons and then some for what it is. So much so I actually enjoyed it.

Nick Stone is an agent running out of London. Sent to the USA on the heels of some members of the provisional IRA he is suddenly called off the case. He decides to visit an old friend and erstwhile companion-in-arms, but arrives to find him - and all his family bar one - brutally murdered. The lone survivor, a seve
Marc
May 16, 2011 Marc rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This thriller places its hero, Nick Stone, a British SAS operative on a deep-cover "deniable operation" assignment in the United States, into a situation that will be very familiar to readers of thriller novels: he's on the run, pursued by both bad guys who want to kill him, and police who want to arrest him for a horrible crime he did not commit. His employer has left him to fend for himself, and his only hope is to catch (or kill) the bad guys himself in order to clear his name.

What's differen
Jim Butler
Feb 23, 2008 Jim Butler rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: techno-thrillers
This is the first book I've read from McNab but I'm sure I'll read more. Similar to the Rogue Warrior series, I like McNab a bit better. McNab is not quite as arrogant, but nevertheless, special forces must grow an in-your-face attitude.
I particularly enjoyed the detailed observations and the reasoning behind the tradecraft actions. What's Nick Stone, the hero, doing looking inside a fire extinguisher? What's he going to make with the kitchen supplies? One always gets a bit more involved when th
Oscar
Apr 10, 2016 Oscar rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The reason I choose to read this book is because my teacher from last year (Mr Knowles) recommended two authors to me, Chris Ryan and Andy McNab. Once I finally got round to reading one of their books I choose Andy McNab and his first book from his first series.

I liked the book as it is high in action the whole way through, with loads of covert operations, violent firefights, non stop suspense and investigation. But I have to be honest and say I found lots of it very hard to understand, includin
Terry
Dec 26, 2015 Terry rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
This is an absolute gem of a book. A first class thriller with superb and on point pacing. A lot really comes down to the no-nonsense approach of the author. At first you might want to compare Nick Stone to Jason Bourne, Jack Reacher, or James Bond, but thanks to the auhors SAS background you get the sense that this is the real thing.

Nick Stone is ex-SAS. Ex-Army, posted in Northen Ireland during the closing days of The Troubles in the early 90's. After an off-the-radar operation in Gibraltar he
Jeff Benham
Nov 19, 2016 Jeff Benham rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Nick Stone is ex-SAS and now does contract work. The bosses are not real happy with the results of his last assignment and send him to the states to redeem himself. Simple job. Follow two blocks around and make sure they go where they are supposed to go. Mission completed and time to kill before his flight out, he goes to visit a good friend of his, who is DEA. He gets there to find that his friend and family have been brutally murdered. All gexcept for their 7 year old daughter, who has found a ...more
Marius van Blerck
May 17, 2009 Marius van Blerck rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Most good espionage thrillers are written by Americans, and this might cause us to forget that the British pretty much invented the genre, with John Buchan, Graham Greene and Ian Fleming among the most prominent pioneers. Andy McNab is now a member of the club. His style might not suit all, being politically incorrect and saturated with profanity. His approach to violence is also overly graphic. McNab has a tight approach to plot, and there is an intelligence that pervades his writing, that will ...more
Clive
Dec 22, 2016 Clive rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Enthralling book from beginning to end. Nick Stone is engaging as a character and very likeable. McNab's writing style is brilliant and you really feel immersed in the story and actions.

Towards the end, I guessed some of the plot twists but that did not deter me from ploughing on. Thoroughly enjoyed the book and look forward to reading more of the Nick Stone series.

A definite 5 stars from me!
dennis barron
Jan 30, 2016 dennis barron rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Remote control. Andy McNab

A fantastic action, mystery thriller! Nick Stone, ex SAS, now does covert work for SIS (M16). He accidentally comes upon a horrific crime scene. One of his best friends, also ex SAS,now working for the US DEA, is murdered, along with his wife and young son. Only his seven year old daughter has survived by hiding. Nick finds her and the story unfolds. Betrayal and deceit at the highest level. Fantastic read!
Robert
Mar 17, 2012 Robert rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this fast action thriller from Andy McNab. The book is very British and as an American you can appreciate his quirky description of America. Although there are several military acronyms, he does spell them out during the beginning of the novel. All-in-all, a good escape into the spy underworld.
Claire
Feb 05, 2016 Claire rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
First book in the series. Loved the character of Nick Stone, will definitely be reading the other books in this series. If you have put this down after the first few chapters you need to try again because once this story gets going it is fast paced all action and I honestly think you would be missing out if you do not make it to the end. Loved it, great writer.
Pierre Tassé
I will rate it a 2 out of 5. I think the writing could be better and the ending...well, it seems as if he had to finish it to get on with another job...disjointed and did not develop the characters well enough...on the other hand he went into great detail on items that were cursory and not impacting the story...some waste of space.
Shivani
Jul 14, 2015 Shivani rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: action
I would give it 3.5 stars. 3 for the story and that half one for the relationship between Nick and Kelly! It was gripping but became a little lengthy and a bit boring in between. But overall a goodread.
Joel Thornton
May 03, 2008 Joel Thornton rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
McNab has done a great job of taking his experience in the SAS in Britain and turniing it into action thrillers chock full of characters who use the skills any good SAS soldier needs.

From beginning to end this a book that will keep you turning the pages, driving to the end.
Paul
Nov 16, 2013 Paul rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A good book to start the series. Looking forward to the next one! This book took place over several days but Andy Mcnab's writing moves right along and is not too wordy or drawn-out. I enjoyed it.
Marti
May 25, 2016 Marti rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fast moving--very well written. Fun to read
Deb
Jun 28, 2013 Deb rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book. Lots of action, humor (English - you've been warned) and humility. I intend to read all of his books that I can.
Courtnie Wright
Mar 31, 2016 Courtnie Wright rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
BEST BOOK - This author is amazing
  • The Increment (Matt Browning, #2)
  • The Hostage (Stratton, #1)
  • The Skorpion Directive (Agent Micah Dalton, #4)
Andy McNab joined the infantry in 1976 as a boy soldier. In 1984 he was badged as a member of 22 SAS Regiment. He served in B Squadron 22 SAS for ten years and worked on both covert and overt special operations worldwide, including anti-terrorist and anti-drug operations in the Middle and Far East, South and Central America and Northern Ireland.

Trained as a specialist in counter terrorism, prime t
More about Andy McNab...

Nick Stone (1 - 10 of 18 books)
  • Crisis Four (Nick Stone, #2)
  • Firewall (Nick Stone, #3)
  • Last Light (Nick Stone, #4)
  • Liberation Day (Nick Stone, #5)
  • Dark Winter (Nick Stone, #6)
  • Deep Black (Nick Stone, #7)
  • Aggressor (Nick Stone, #8)
  • Recoil (Nick Stone, #9)
  • Crossfire (Nick Stone, #10)
  • Brute Force (Nick Stone, #11)

“Better to be tried by twelve than carried by six.” 0 likes
“He’d been expelled from the movement by Gerry Adams in 1985 for threatening to initiate a campaign of murder that would have hampered the new political strategy. It was a bit like being kicked out of the Gestapo for cruelty.” 0 likes