Start by marking “Steps and Stones: An Anh's Anger Story” as Want to Read:
Steps and Stones: An Anh's Anger Story

Steps and Stones: An Anh's Anger Story

When Anh’s friends leave and he feels left out at school, his anger shows up to keep him company. Anh the protagonist of Gail Silver’s previous book Anh’s Anger, is a typical and easy-to-relate-to elementary school-age boy. His anger, personified as a red hairy impulsive creature, teaches him some valuable lessons about not getting carried away by his strong emotions. By c ...more
Published November 15th 2011 by Plum Blossom Books (first published November 8th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Steps and Stones, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Steps and Stones

Alice
Nov 05, 2014 Alice rated it really liked it
This is a very interesting way to talk about anger. Anh gets Angry and the angry monster appears. And boy, does the angry monster look angry. The Illustration Christiane Kromer are very interesting. I don't love them but I get them. I like the firework picture cut out when Anh is really mad! Without being heavy handed it offers tips and advice on how kids (and I guess adults) can deal with anger!
Jess
Mar 15, 2012 Jess rated it it was ok
Shelves: bully, 2012
I really wanted to like this a lot more than I did. It was off to a great start, great opportunity to talk to kids about when anger shows up and what it looks like. Counting steps as a cool down strategy may be ok too, but the ending seemed pretty unresolved.
Lynn Grundset
Jan 26, 2015 Lynn Grundset rated it it was amazing
One again, Ms. Silver has painted a wonderful example with words and images of how to deal with anger. I have been taking some yoga classes and this book illustrated for me the concept of being mindful and being aware of breath and thought. Very well done.
Morgan
Mar 08, 2013 Morgan rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Would be a good pick for kids struggling with anger, lashing out, or bullying (victim or perpetrator). The concept of anger is somewhat abstract but the illustrations are lovely.
Lisa
Jul 29, 2016 Lisa rated it it was amazing
This is an amazing picture book. I love it and my 3-year-old loves it. Ahn gets mad when his classmates slight him at recess, and his anger manifests as a fuzzy red monster (he has a very wild look, but not scary). As Ahn talks to his anger, anger wants to fly off the handle, but Ahn asks him to slow down, walk with him, and count their steps. As they walk, anger gets tired, lies down to rest, and then drifts up and away into the sky. Ahn's classmates ask why he's walking so slowly and counting ...more
Denise
Feb 14, 2017 Denise rated it it was amazing
This is a great book that teaches children to befriend their anger.
Judy Desetti
Feb 04, 2012 Judy Desetti rated it really liked it
Good book to use with bullying issues and learning self control.

This book has a boy who is left alone at recess and he becomes angry. However he learns to control his breathing and anger dissipates. In the end he discovers a new friend and has a wonderful time. It would be a good story to use with getting kids to learn to control their anger and breathe.

RECOMMEND. Will be getting this one for our unit on self control and bullying.
Nadine
#SEL #anger #meditation #calming sweet story of a young boy's encounter and overcoming anger and impulsivity during school recess. Good illustrations
Edward Sullivan
Apr 22, 2013 Edward Sullivan rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
In this companion of Anh's Anger, Anh faces the common childhood dilemma wanting to do one thing while his friends are set on doing another. Anh finds another way to control the anger he feels when he doesn't get his way using the practice of mindfulness and the Buddhist teachings of Thich Naht Hanh.
Helen
Jun 29, 2012 Helen rated it liked it
This Bill Martin, Jr. nominee is a fantasy that tells how Anh gets mad at his friends and imagines his anger as another friend. But they walk off his anger, breathing in and out, so that soon the anger is gone and his real friends are back. I'm not sure the kids will get it, but it's a good way to teach kids how to deal with anger.
Marelu
Aug 23, 2013 Marelu rated it it was amazing
A slightly different application of the same ideas as Anh's Anger using walking and breathing to dispel his anger. I think kids would like it although we didn't get around to reading it because the kids wanted to do the meditation activities I planned.
Melissa Mcavoy
I think I like this one even better than Anh's Anger. Some actually funny moments as well as intriguing illustrations that have some subtext.
Carol
May 24, 2012 Carol rated it it was amazing
I thought this was wonderful. I think it gives kids a way of dealing with anger without preaching at them. On a personal level I relate to this book and I think kids will tool
Heather
May 22, 2013 Heather rated it liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
So the picture of anger was a bit frightening but the message of the book was nice.
Joy Lane
AR 2.6 and 0.5 pts. Good story about anger for early elementary school
Susan
Dec 22, 2011 Susan rated it really liked it
A picture book about using walking meditation to deal with anger. I hope the library gets more in this series.
Ms.Weinfurter
Jan 03, 2016 Ms.Weinfurter rated it really liked it
Shelves: anger-aggression
Teaches how to deal with anger when your friends don't want to play what you want.
Lisa Mckay
Steps and Stones an Anh's Anger Story by Gail Silver

Focus: overcoming anger

Silver, Gail. 2011. Steps and Stones an Anh's Anger Story. Parallax Press.
Tara Choate
Jun 07, 2016 Tara Choate rated it liked it
I really liked that the book talked about anger. I can't remember any books from my childhood talking about that. I didn't like that "anger" was never addressed/resolved; it just faded away.
Pia
Pia rated it it was amazing
Nov 05, 2015
Neera
Neera rated it liked it
Mar 14, 2012
Jen
Jen rated it it was amazing
Feb 02, 2017
Poornima
Poornima rated it liked it
Feb 22, 2012
Saajidah : )
Saajidah : ) rated it liked it
Mar 27, 2016
Christine Johnson
Christine Johnson rated it really liked it
Nov 10, 2016
Roger Caswell
Roger Caswell rated it it was amazing
Feb 05, 2012
Nathan and Colin
Nathan and Colin rated it liked it
Sep 15, 2015
Emma
Emma rated it liked it
Mar 11, 2015
Michael Silver
Michael Silver rated it it was amazing
Nov 13, 2011
GatheringBooks
GatheringBooks rated it really liked it
Oct 24, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 next »

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »