Start by marking “Easy to Love but Hard to Raise: Real Parents, Challenging Kids, True Stories” as Want to Read:
Easy to Love but Hard to Raise: Real Parents, Challenging Kids, True Stories

Easy to Love but Hard to Raise: Real Parents, Challenging Kids, True Stories

4.22 of 5 stars 4.22  ·  rating details  ·  79 ratings  ·  15 reviews

If there's anything the 32 parent-writers and 15 experts of Easy to Love but Hard to Raise want you to know, it's this:

YOU ARE NOT ALONE We've been there. We've done that. We've navigated the system. Some of us succeeded. Some failed. We've been judged by friends, teachers, family, & strangers. We've gotten the phone calls & the looks. We've done things we never

Published January 20th 2012 by DRT Press (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Easy to Love but Hard to Raise, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Easy to Love but Hard to Raise

Linda Quirk
I love this book. Real stories from real Mammas. Do you have a challenging child? Does your child have an invisible disability? You will laugh, cry and learn from this book.
Brittney Fischer
LOVED THIS BOOK. It made me sit back and rethink how I need to be interacting with my ADHD son. It made me laugh and tear up. And it's a great read for someone who actaually may have a bit of ADD themselves *clearing throat*. I didn't get bored with this book once; the back and forth between stories and Q&A's kept it interesting. I didn't feel bogged down with tons of medical terms, names or dates like I have in some other books. I really think any parent who has a "challenging" child needs ...more
Meredith
This is one of the best books I've ever read. Whether you consider it a parenting book or special needs book, it is a good read for all parents. The stories in the book are so real and it helps when you are going through a rough time to know that you aren't alone!
Karen
I'm sure this book provides lovely support to parents to kids with behavioral issues. I'm the mother of a "neurotypical" child, so my reactions were more blunted. I picked this book up out of curiosity, since we seem to know an absurd number of kids with such issues.

The stories were organized into a rouch chronology depending on where the parent was on his or her journey, from when sensing something is different to the child going off and being independent. There are Q&As with experts scatt
Kara
Love this book. If you have a special-needs child, it's invaluable. My only complaint is that I didn't have it earlier!!
Lisa Marie
What do parents of kids with special needs want more than anything?

Understanding. Support. Encouragement.

And finally, there's a book for that.

Kay Marner and Adrienne Ehlert Bashista have compiled a collection of first hand stories from parents in the trenches - raising children with a variety of invisible disorders whose designations are usually shortened to a series of letters: ADD, ADHD, OCD, PDD, SPD. They call these Alphabet Soup.

The difference between this book and every other I've read
Tammi Vannest
I loved reading all the stories in this book. I am raising three with FASD so I could relate to many of the stories. It helps knowing others are out there going through the same experiences. I would recommend this book to anyone with a challenging kid. It is well worth the read!!!a
Barbara
Oct 11, 2013 Barbara rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: parents
This is a book of short essays written by parents of children with a psychological special need of some sort- including ASD, ADHD, OCD, etc. It was so validating, touching, comforting and empowering for me to read.
Imelda
I laughed, I cried, I felt accepted. As anyone with a not so typical kid knows, it's hard to feel like you belong. This book helped me feel not so alone.
Jenn
I read this hoping to be able to recommend it, or at least portions of it, to the parents I work with. Unfortunately, although the covers promises stories about "challenging kids" in general, the book is almost entirely composed of essays by parents raising children with ADHD. For that population, I am sure this is a reassuring read. For other parents, not so much.
Nancy
This book is a must read for any parent. Any kids that is ever not been the perfect child, and aren't all of ours those? None of us are alone, and as parents, we often feel worried. Everyone should read this.
Heather
I believe this is the best book out there for parents who have children that have ADHD, and other alphabet diagnosis. I like how they refer to these children as "Alphabet kids!" As a parent it helped me feel that I am not alone with my journey with my daughter.
Leeann

I liked this book. It gave some clear insights as to what other parents go through in their day to day lives with kids with issues. It helped me develop my "empathy" bone and also helped me be thankful for my many blessings.
Ruth
Heartbreaking and life affirming.
Traci

Any parent who has an ETL child needs to read this! We are not alone & there are others who completely get what we are going through! Also there are stories of hope!!
Ann Jones
Ann Jones marked it as to-read
Apr 26, 2015
Milly
Milly marked it as to-read
Apr 25, 2015
Kim Buzan
Kim Buzan marked it as to-read
Apr 25, 2015
Christie Robertson
Christie Robertson marked it as to-read
Apr 22, 2015
Michelle Mason
Michelle Mason marked it as to-read
Apr 19, 2015
Karen
Karen marked it as to-read
Apr 13, 2015
Lou Carbone
Lou Carbone marked it as to-read
Apr 05, 2015
Wrigley
Wrigley marked it as to-read
Mar 21, 2015
Amy Wishman
Amy Wishman marked it as to-read
Mar 18, 2015
Jasmine Cook
Jasmine Cook is currently reading it
Feb 02, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Edward M. Hallowell is a child and adult psychiatrist who specialises in ADD/ADHD and who also has ADHD. He is the co-author of the book Delivered From Distraction. He also created The Hallowell Center for Cognitive and Emotional Health in Sudbury, MA. He is a Harvard alumnus and has been on the faculty of Harvard Medical School since 1983. He received his medical degree from Tulane University Med ...more
More about Edward M. Hallowell...
Driven to Distraction: Recognizing and Coping with Attention Deficit Disorder from Childhood Through Adulthood Delivered from Distraction: Getting the Most out of Life with Attention Deficit Disorder CrazyBusy: Overstretched, Overbooked, and About to Snap! Strategies for Coping in a World Gone ADD The Childhood Roots of Adult Happiness: Five Steps to Help Kids Create and Sustain Lifelong Joy Superparenting for ADD: An Innovative Approach to Raising Your Distracted Child