Start by marking “Easy to Love but Hard to Raise: Real Parents, Challenging Kids, True Stories” as Want to Read:
Easy to Love but Hard to Raise: Real Parents, Challenging Kids, True Stories

Easy to Love but Hard to Raise: Real Parents, Challenging Kids, True Stories

4.22  ·  Rating Details  ·  89 Ratings  ·  16 Reviews

If there's anything the 32 parent-writers and 15 experts of Easy to Love but Hard to Raise want you to know, it's this:

YOU ARE NOT ALONE We've been there. We've done that. We've navigated the system. Some of us succeeded. Some failed. We've been judged by friends, teachers, family, & strangers. We've gotten the phone calls & the looks. We've done things we never

Published January 20th 2012 by DRT Press (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Easy to Love but Hard to Raise, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Easy to Love but Hard to Raise

Linda Quirk
Feb 07, 2014 Linda Quirk rated it it was amazing
I love this book. Real stories from real Mammas. Do you have a challenging child? Does your child have an invisible disability? You will laugh, cry and learn from this book.
Brittney Fischer
Jan 10, 2013 Brittney Fischer rated it it was amazing
LOVED THIS BOOK. It made me sit back and rethink how I need to be interacting with my ADHD son. It made me laugh and tear up. And it's a great read for someone who actaually may have a bit of ADD themselves *clearing throat*. I didn't get bored with this book once; the back and forth between stories and Q&A's kept it interesting. I didn't feel bogged down with tons of medical terms, names or dates like I have in some other books. I really think any parent who has a "challenging" child needs ...more
Meredith
Oct 22, 2012 Meredith rated it it was amazing
This is one of the best books I've ever read. Whether you consider it a parenting book or special needs book, it is a good read for all parents. The stories in the book are so real and it helps when you are going through a rough time to know that you aren't alone!
Kara
Feb 16, 2012 Kara rated it it was amazing
Love this book. If you have a special-needs child, it's invaluable. My only complaint is that I didn't have it earlier!!
Karen
I'm sure this book provides lovely support to parents to kids with behavioral issues. I'm the mother of a "neurotypical" child, so my reactions were more blunted. I picked this book up out of curiosity, since we seem to know an absurd number of kids with such issues.

The stories were organized into a rouch chronology depending on where the parent was on his or her journey, from when sensing something is different to the child going off and being independent. There are Q&As with experts scatt
Lisa Marie
Aug 30, 2012 Lisa Marie rated it it was amazing
What do parents of kids with special needs want more than anything?

Understanding. Support. Encouragement.

And finally, there's a book for that.

Kay Marner and Adrienne Ehlert Bashista have compiled a collection of first hand stories from parents in the trenches - raising children with a variety of invisible disorders whose designations are usually shortened to a series of letters: ADD, ADHD, OCD, PDD, SPD. They call these Alphabet Soup.

The difference between this book and every other I've read
Tammi Vannest
Aug 01, 2014 Tammi Vannest rated it it was amazing
I loved reading all the stories in this book. I am raising three with FASD so I could relate to many of the stories. It helps knowing others are out there going through the same experiences. I would recommend this book to anyone with a challenging kid. It is well worth the read!!!a
Barbara
Aug 01, 2016 Barbara rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: parents
This is a book of short essays written by parents of children with a psychological special need of some sort- including ASD, ADHD, OCD, etc. It was so validating, touching, comforting and empowering for me to read.
Imelda
Jul 19, 2012 Imelda rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
I laughed, I cried, I felt accepted. As anyone with a not so typical kid knows, it's hard to feel like you belong. This book helped me feel not so alone.
Leslie
Jan 15, 2016 Leslie rated it it was amazing
I saw my son, me, my husband, our entire family in these pages. The stories I read here helped me gain wisdom, showed me things I hadn't seen or didn't want to see before regarding our lives, and much more. Raising a special needs child is a difficult task but as the book teaches the reader...these children have so much about them to love.
Jenn
Sep 07, 2013 Jenn rated it liked it
I read this hoping to be able to recommend it, or at least portions of it, to the parents I work with. Unfortunately, although the covers promises stories about "challenging kids" in general, the book is almost entirely composed of essays by parents raising children with ADHD. For that population, I am sure this is a reassuring read. For other parents, not so much.
Nancy
May 17, 2015 Nancy rated it it was amazing
This book is a must read for any parent. Any kids that is ever not been the perfect child, and aren't all of ours those? None of us are alone, and as parents, we often feel worried. Everyone should read this.
Heather
May 03, 2012 Heather rated it it was amazing
I believe this is the best book out there for parents who have children that have ADHD, and other alphabet diagnosis. I like how they refer to these children as "Alphabet kids!" As a parent it helped me feel that I am not alone with my journey with my daughter.
Leeann

I liked this book. It gave some clear insights as to what other parents go through in their day to day lives with kids with issues. It helped me develop my "empathy" bone and also helped me be thankful for my many blessings.
Ruth
Oct 11, 2013 Ruth rated it it was amazing
Heartbreaking and life affirming.
Traci
Apr 09, 2014 Traci rated it it was amazing

Any parent who has an ETL child needs to read this! We are not alone & there are others who completely get what we are going through! Also there are stories of hope!!
Kevin Neuse
Kevin Neuse marked it as to-read
Aug 28, 2016
Samantha Boyd
Samantha Boyd marked it as to-read
Jul 14, 2016
Marie
Marie marked it as to-read
Jul 13, 2016
Tana Young
Tana Young rated it it was amazing
Jul 05, 2016
Christine Vassar
Christine Vassar marked it as to-read
Jun 22, 2016
Allison
Allison marked it as to-read
Jun 07, 2016
Kristina Osgood
Kristina Osgood rated it it was amazing
May 25, 2016
Justina
Justina marked it as to-read
May 25, 2016
Kyle
Kyle rated it liked it
May 12, 2016
Jane Ananyev
Jane Ananyev marked it as to-read
Apr 23, 2016
Kendra
Kendra marked it as to-read
Apr 21, 2016
Kristin
Kristin marked it as to-read
Apr 19, 2016
Emelda
Emelda marked it as to-read
Mar 30, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • John Rosemond's New Parent Power!
  • A Soccer Life in Shorts
  • A Symphony in the Brain: The Evolution of the New Brain Wave Biofeedback
  • Boy Without Instructions: Surviving the Learning Curve of Parenting a Child with ADHD
  • What to Expect: The Second Year: For the 13th to 24th Month, this Step-by-Step Guide Explains Everything You Need to Know About Your Toddler
  • The Witches of Jericho (Edenwitch #1)
  • Nessa (Breeders, #1.1)
  • The  Asphalt Warrior (Asphalt Warrior, #1)
  • Taking Charge of ADHD: The Complete, Authoritative Guide for Parents
  • Growing Up Dead
  • Crown of the Setting Sun (Heirs of the Fallen, #2)
  • The Epidemic: The Rot of American Culture, Absentee and Permissive Parenting, and the Resultant Plague of Joyless, Selfish Children
  • Blood Born
  • Mama, PhD: Women Write about Motherhood and Academic Life
  • Just Tell Me What to Say: Sensible Tips and Scripts for Perplexed Parents
  • Swallow: Foreign Bodies, Their Ingestion, Inspiration, and the Curious Doctor Who Extracted Them
  • Raising Financially Confident Kids
  • Giving The Love That Heals
Edward M. Hallowell is a child and adult psychiatrist who specialises in ADD/ADHD and who also has ADHD. He is the co-author of the book Delivered From Distraction. He also created The Hallowell Center for Cognitive and Emotional Health in Sudbury, MA. He is a Harvard alumnus and has been on the faculty of Harvard Medical School since 1983. He received his medical degree from Tulane University Med ...more
More about Edward M. Hallowell...