Easy to Love but Hard to Raise: Real Parents, Challenging Kids, True Stories

Easy to Love but Hard to Raise: Real Parents, Challenging Kids, True Stories

4.28 of 5 stars 4.28  ·  rating details  ·  57 ratings  ·  12 reviews

If there's anything the 32 parent-writers and 15 experts of Easy to Love but Hard to Raise want you to know, it's this:

YOU ARE NOT ALONE We've been there. We've done that. We've navigated the system. Some of us succeeded. Some failed. We've been judged by friends, teachers, family, & strangers. We've gotten the phone calls & the looks. We've done things we never

Published January 20th 2012 by DRT Press (first published January 1st 2012)

Linda Quirk
I love this book. Real stories from real Mammas. Do you have a challenging child? Does your child have an invisible disability? You will laugh, cry and learn from this book.
Brittney Fischer
LOVED THIS BOOK. It made me sit back and rethink how I need to be interacting with my ADHD son. It made me laugh and tear up. And it's a great read for someone who actaually may have a bit of ADD themselves *clearing throat*. I didn't get bored with this book once; the back and forth between stories and Q&A's kept it interesting. I didn't feel bogged down with tons of medical terms, names or dates like I have in some other books. I really think any parent who has a "challenging" child needs...more
Meredith
This is one of the best books I've ever read. Whether you consider it a parenting book or special needs book, it is a good read for all parents. The stories in the book are so real and it helps when you are going through a rough time to know that you aren't alone!
Barbara
Oct 11, 2013 Barbara rated it 5 of 5 stars Recommends it for: parents
This is a book of short essays written by parents of children with a psychological special need of some sort- including ASD, ADHD, OCD, etc. It was so validating, touching, comforting and empowering for me to read.
Imelda
I laughed, I cried, I felt accepted. As anyone with a not so typical kid knows, it's hard to feel like you belong. This book helped me feel not so alone.
Kara
Love this book. If you have a special-needs child, it's invaluable. My only complaint is that I didn't have it earlier!!
Lisa Marie
What do parents of kids with special needs want more than anything?

Understanding. Support. Encouragement.

And finally, there's a book for that.

Kay Marner and Adrienne Ehlert Bashista have compiled a collection of first hand stories from parents in the trenches - raising children with a variety of invisible disorders whose designations are usually shortened to a series of letters: ADD, ADHD, OCD, PDD, SPD. They call these Alphabet Soup.

The difference between this book and every other I've read...more
Jenn
I read this hoping to be able to recommend it, or at least portions of it, to the parents I work with. Unfortunately, although the covers promises stories about "challenging kids" in general, the book is almost entirely composed of essays by parents raising children with ADHD. For that population, I am sure this is a reassuring read. For other parents, not so much.
Heather
I believe this is the best book out there for parents who have children that have ADHD, and other alphabet diagnosis. I like how they refer to these children as "Alphabet kids!" As a parent it helped me feel that I am not alone with my journey with my daughter.
Leeann

I liked this book. It gave some clear insights as to what other parents go through in their day to day lives with kids with issues. It helped me develop my "empathy" bone and also helped me be thankful for my many blessings.
Ruth
Heartbreaking and life affirming.
Traci

Any parent who has an ETL child needs to read this! We are not alone & there are others who completely get what we are going through! Also there are stories of hope!!
Ksm
Ksm added it
Apr 20, 2014
Michelle
Michelle marked it as to-read
Mar 16, 2014
Myra Bella-mafia
Myra Bella-mafia marked it as to-read
Mar 13, 2014
Reagan Boyer
Reagan Boyer is currently reading it
Mar 06, 2014
Amy
Amy marked it as to-read
Feb 26, 2014
Clare Parsons
Clare Parsons marked it as to-read
Feb 23, 2014
Mia Catherine
Mia Catherine marked it as to-read
Feb 08, 2014
Nctejana
Nctejana marked it as to-read
Jan 29, 2014
Frank Spencer
Frank Spencer marked it as to-read
Jan 02, 2014