Start by marking “Bookclub-In-A-Box Discusses the Book of Negroes / Someone Knows My Name, by Lawrence Hill: The Complete Guide for Readers and Leaders” as Want to Read:

The history and terror of black slavery has been well documented in literature and film. Lawrence Hill s new book doesn t lessen the awfulness of the times, but adds a unique human dimension. Hill has created an uplifting and highly educational story about a shameful part of history. The Book of Negroes is sold in the United States under the title, Someone Knows My Name. A ...more
Published August 1st 2011 by Bookclub in a Box (first published May 3rd 2010)

Be the first to ask a question about Bookclub-In-A-Box Discusses the Book of Negroes / Someone Knows My Name, by Lawrence Hill

Julie Pierce
Jul 04, 2012 Julie Pierce rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I could NOT put this book down!!! I purchased it in St John New Brunswick while on vacation there so mine has the title: The Book of Negroes. It took me awhile to find its counterpart here in the U.S. under the title: Someone Knows my Name so that I could recommend it to friends. Wow, Lawrence HIll has been added to my list of favorite authors. The book starts off slowly but still engaging - you are drawn into this terrible world even as it engulfs the young, female protagonist. The book slowly ...more
Debra
When eleven-year-old Aminata Diallo is abducted from her African village and forced onto a slave ship bound for America, her terror is unspeakable. Traumatized by the attacks on her parents, the brutality of white men and the filth of the ship, she can only think of survival, and survive she does. Aminata’s ability to speak two languages and her midwifery skills save her life on the ship and later in South Carolina. Aminata’s ultimate goal is to return to her village but there are insurmountable ...more
Ivone Branco
Oct 30, 2012 Ivone Branco rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What an amazing book!! I was sad that it ended, I just wanted to read more and more of her life. I loved that the author didn't just make Meena another survivor from slavery, she was an educator, mother and fighter for freedom. I always love to hear stories of strong, brave woman. It's so inspirational!!
Kari
Jun 02, 2014 Kari rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book. The writer has a tremendous gift for making you feel 100% of the emotions that run through Aminata (the protagonist). A fictional book but with heavy influence from actual events from history...if you haven't read it you really ought to.
Sylvia
Jun 03, 2014 Sylvia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An amazing, thoroughly absorbing story! Unfiltered, gripping, this story shares a perspective of a young woman who has loved, lost, yet endured!
Karen Wilson
Apr 21, 2014 Karen Wilson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

This was an amazing read, my favorite so far.
Cindy-lou Weekes
It was so captivating , I couldn't get enough.
Jennifer Candow
Mar 12, 2014 Jennifer Candow rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Book of Negroes was amazing! I wish it were a thousand pages longer!
Valerie
May 25, 2014 Valerie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Don't judge a book by its name --this one was so amazing- I couldn't put it down.the character.Aminata Diallo, the brilliant woman is featured in this novel moved through time in the late 1700's describing vividly her experiences from living in peace in her village with family in her village of Bayo (Africa) to being taken as a slave suddenly and brutally by the Toubabu (white people) to her journey crossing many seas....this was a rich interesting fascinating ENLIGHTENING account of THE WORLD a ...more
Colleen
Apr 09, 2014 Colleen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was gripping, intense, emotional, and disturbing. It was so vivid. The characters were came alive on the paper and the descriptions of surroundings took me from the heat of Africa to the bitter cold of North America. It is not a depressing story but one of perseverance and triumph over inhumanity and unfairness. This was one of those books that continues to haunt me long after I have read the last page.
SUSAN OWEN GLASER
Excellent, epic novel of an African American slave child to girl to woman to elder, from Africa to Canada to USA and back to Africa and back to USA and back to England. Excellent.

One interesting fact, I received this book as a gift from my 9th grade grandchild who was required to read it at his school. Bravo to that teacher/principal. Maybe somethings are changing regarding racism.
Peggy
Oct 09, 2013 Peggy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My copy, as published in Canada, was called "The Book of Negroes".
Amazing. I'm absolutely awe-struck and at a loss for words to describe the impact of this book, other than to say it's a must read for everyone.
Monica Wies
Oct 03, 2011 Monica Wies rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Computer kon the book of negroes niet vinden, dus plaats ik het onder deze noemer.
Het is een prachtig boek, toch weer nieuwe feiten gelezen.
Veel al gelezen over de slavernij, maar toch altijd weer een soort plaatsvervangende schaamte over wat de blanken de zwarten hebben aangedaan
Barbara Storey
Oct 23, 2014 Barbara Storey rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Cathy
Sep 04, 2014 Cathy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have not read this set - I have only read "The Book of Negroes" an important book about black history, which for some reason goodreads does not list.

I was very surprised to read the parts that take place in my home province of Nova Scotia
Merle Dunson
Feb 24, 2015 Merle Dunson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of my 5 top favorite books!! Gripping, triumphant, wrenching, unbelievable survival skills! Page turner...I could have continued reading another 500 pages ! I cannot stop thinking about it and I get emotional every time I think about how only a few people knew her real name! Wow!
Cristina
Mar 15, 2014 Cristina rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
great book
Shelly
Jul 24, 2012 Shelly rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Outstanding!!! Strong characters that survived horrific experiences.
Abe
Apr 12, 2012 Abe rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of my favourite books!
Frank Logue
Sep 18, 2012 Frank Logue rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Outstanding. Very touching and moving.It gave me a better appreciation of what it must have been, and still is, to be a black person in our society.
Cecelia
Mar 07, 2012 Cecelia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent read.
Dawn Jacobs
Apr 19, 2012 Dawn Jacobs rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved this book.
Susan
Jul 20, 2015 Susan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a wonderful novel. Always had to find out what was happening next.
Ina
Aug 20, 2014 Ina rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of my favorite books, I couldn't put it down.
Carmen Leblanc
Feb 09, 2014 Carmen Leblanc is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
So far a very good book,just started.
Madhavi
A most fascinating journey of a little girl from freedom to captivity and back to freedom
Paula Dymond
Jul 06, 2012 Paula Dymond rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I just couldn't put this book down and I am not an avid reader
Claudette Duggan
The best book I ever read,so very touching!
Bob-tanya
Aug 16, 2012 Bob-tanya rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A must read. Loved the writing style-couldn't put it down!
Sandra
Aug 18, 2012 Sandra rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Though provoking and heartbreaking. Although it is fiction it read like a biography. I loved it.
The Book of Negroes 2 6 Jun 04, 2014 03:55PM
  • Michelle Obama: In Her Own Words
  • Daughters of the Dust
  • Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close by Jonathan Safran Foer Summary & Guide
  • Butterfly's Shadow
  • 24 Declassified: Collateral Damage
  • Blind Rage (Bernadette Saint Claire #2)
  • Calamity and Other Stories
  • Beyond Bin Laden: America and the Future of Terror
  • Gods at War: Shotgun Takeovers, Government by Deal, and the Private Equity Implosion
  • American Triumvirate: Sam Snead, Byron Nelson, Ben Hogan, and the Modern Age of Golf
  • Bourne Series Collection (Jason Bourne, #1-8)
  • Rights Gone Wrong: How Law Corrupts the Struggle for Equality
  • High Steel: The Daring Men Who Built the World's Greatest Skyline
  • George, Being George: George Plimpton's Life as Told, Admired, Deplored, and Envied by 200 Friends, Relatives, Lovers, Acquaintances, Rivals--and a Few Unappreciative ...
  • Victory Point: Operations Red Wings and Whalers - the Marine Corps' Battle for Freedom in Afghanistan
  • At Close Range (Bear Claw Creek Crime Lab, #2)
  • What Would Jefferson Do?: A Return to Democracy
  • Fatal Risk: A Cautionary Tale of AIG's Corporate Suicide
As an educator, school librarian, writer, book-talk presenter and facilitator, Marilyn loves to read and talk about books. Her enthusiasm for reading and sharing led her to unite her two favorite things: people and pages. In turn, this led to the creation of Bookclub-in-a-Box, the ultimate discussion companion for contemporary works of literary fiction. Marilyn is always looking for a great debate ...more
More about Marilyn Herbert...