Blank-133x176

Ian Falconer

Olivia's Opposites (Olivia)

3.83 of 5 stars 3.83  ·  rating details  ·  425 ratings  ·  34 reviews
The Barnes & Noble Review
Figuring up from down is a blast when Olivia's helping us! In this playful companion board book to Olivia Counts , Ian Falconer's popular piglet leads toddlers through an imaginative lesson in opposites.

Long, short, coming, going -- Olivia does it with flair. On the "up" page, the adorable heroine is jumping high in the air, and she's lying fla

Board Book, 12 pages
Published August 15th 2011 by Simon & Schuster Children's Publishing (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Olivia's Opposites, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Olivia's Opposites

Rfrancik
Olivia is a delightful character who pleases adults and children alike. Her facial characteristics and body poses are easily identified and appreciated by children ages 3-7. The use of high contrast color, black, white, gray and red in the illustrations are an appealing format for children especially in the reluctant to read crowd or for those with visual impairment where an abundance of color sometimes leads to confusion.

I have used this book successfully with Kindergarten letting students tel...more
Julie
I chose this book because of the popularity of the Olivia books, and because I am not familiar with them. This is a wonderful book. The illustrations are simple, but full of movement. The protagonist is a female pig, and the drawings are done in such a way that she has a lot of personality. The board book is in "chewable" format, so it is more durable for this age group. Olivia is drawn entirely in black, white and red which makes the red stand out where it is used. Her character seems self-ass...more
Meredith Trotter
Publication: 2002

Grade/Age: Ages 2-5

Annotation: Olivia the piglet introduces the concept of opposites by demonstrating word pairs.

Themes: Opposites, word pairs, pigs

Ways to use the book:

Pair with other books for a unit on opposites - Opposites by Sandra Boynton; Foot Book by Dr. Seuss.

After talking about opposites, have children make their own little book of opposites.

Celebrate "Opposites Day." Send a note home to parents prior to "Opposites Day," suggesting that the children wear clothing back...more
The Yearling House
For 0-1 years: each page has a single picture and great contrasts.
For 1-2 yrs: Learning opposites
Annalise
Don't like the complicated opposites (fancy, plain) Opposites should be more relevant to children.
Monica Williams
How can you not love Olivia- that ever intrepid little pig.
Kaethe
We were out of board books before they started starring Olivia. It's sad.
Mary
There was only one image per page and the illustrations were all in shades of black/gray, white and red. The concepts were easily understood. I particularly liked the illustration of quiet and loud. The left hand side had a lion roaring (for loud) and Olivia being quiet. The right hand side had Olivia screaming (for loud) and the lion being quiet. A great way to get across that attributes can change.
Libby
I really like this book because of the simple yet descriptive and funny illustrations. There's only one word to a page/picture, so it's easier for my son to focus on what the word means. Also, the whole book is black and white, so I think even a very young infant my be able to enjoy looking at this book- as those are the only colors newborns can see.
Patty
Illustrator: Ian Falconer
Age: Preschool
Summary: Olivia explores the world of opposites.
Applications/Uses: Can be used when talking about words that are opposite or actions that are opposite, it is a board book so would be best in a preschool or kindergarten classroom.
Themes/Connections: Opposites, pigs
Awards: None
Marisa
My 2 year old LOVES this book. We bought it sunday and already she is remembering oppisites for four different things! It is simple (one word per page) and the drawing on each page shows just the word it is depicting so it does not confuse her and it helps her understand the word better.
Scott Roark
Simple book that uses a familiar children's character 'Olivia' the pig as she introduces basic opposite terms. Should be in Prek, Kindergarten classrooms. Have students list other opposites that they know in the classroom. Allow students to go outside and recognize natural opposites.
Snorkle
This a cute little book, told in Olivia's spunky style. I enjoyed this short board book and would definitely recommend, it is highly amusing.

*Taken from my book reviews blog: http://reviewsatmse.blogspot.com/2009...
Heather
I wish this were a little longer. It seems like the author just took illustrations from books he'd already written that worked when paired as opposites, and didn't add much more. Not especially creative or exciting if you already have other Olivia books.
Erika
Library book - A good teaching tool for opposites for the most part. I didn't think all of them worked that well but it held Gillian's attention and that's the important part at this stage.
Natali
Really the only kids books I will put up are the ones we love, or maybe a really bad one in the future just to warn parent's. The kids act out this book and it has become a family favorite.
Lori
Another great book for little kids when they are learning about opposites. Again, you can't beat the illustrations, or the precociousness of Olivia :)
Dawn
This is a new favorite. We're working on opposites and it's a perfect little board book for my toddler. Adorable- we'll have to go out and buy this one!
Very simple plot, just a basic for the younger crowd Falconer's winning illustrations are what make this worthy of three stars.
CP Scott
Aug 19, 2007 CP Scott rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Collectors of Olivia reading
Shelves: childrens
I like Olivia, and the stories she's in, but my girl didn't really get into the meme, so we moved on to other books. *shrug*
Inspired Kathy
My daughter loves Olivia right now. There are only a few opposites in this book, the pictures are simple.
Amber
It's a book that niece can ready by her self at (5) Olivia the little pig in the book is so cute!
Wendy
Love the Olivia books! Timmy seemed to like it well enough. The illustrations are great.
Mary Sutterluety
Concept and Informational Book

Simple, shaded drawings emphasize opposites.
Heather Richard
Okay, but no opposite book compares to the bear opposite books...
Brendan
The Loud/Quiet/Loud chapter is particularly entertaining.
Jenny
My favorite picture is when she is laying on the ground.
Dolly
May 29, 2009 Dolly rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their little ones
Shelves: 2006, childrens
Fun book about opposites with a cute pig named Olivia.
Sarah Stumphf
My 17 month old actually sat still for this one.
Theresa
olivia is a silly pig, this book is even sillyer
  • First 100 Words
  • Birthday Monsters!
  • BooBoo
  • Llama Llama Hoppity-Hop
  • Duck & Goose Find A Pumpkin
  • Oh, David! A Diaper David Book
  • Daddy Kisses
  • Spot Goes to School (color)
  • Piggies
  • Emily's Balloon
  • Five Little Monkeys Bake a Birthday Cake
Ian Falconer is the author and illustrator of all the titles in the bestselling Olivia series: Olivia, Olivia Saves the Circus,Olivia...and the Missing Toy, and Olivia Forms a Band. His illustrations have also graced many covers of the New Yorker. In addition, he has designed sets and costumes for the New York City Ballet, the San Francisco Opera, and the Royal Opera House (Covent Garden), among o...more
More about Ian Falconer...
Olivia Olivia And The Missing Toy Olivia Helps with Christmas Olivia Saves the Circus Olivia Forms A Band