Start by marking “Thunder Rolling in the Mountains” as Want to Read:
Thunder Rolling in the Mountains

Thunder Rolling in the Mountains

In the late nineteenth century, a young Nez Perce girl relates how her people were driven off their land by the U.S. Army and forced to retreat north until their eventual surrender.
Published October 1st 1993 by Turtleback Books (first published 1992)

To ask other readers questions about Thunder Rolling in the Mountains, please sign up.

Daisy Romero He wanted to fight for land duh Daisy. Oh this is not Daisy it is Rebeca her sister. Dicks

Jun 23, 2007 Zachary rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: STUPID PEOPLE!.
This. Was. Bad! I actually never finished it because it was so bad. It upset me because of one sentence. You may think that that is a bad reason to stop, but if you read-
"He grinded heads, but of ears, and watched the blood flow down the rivers," then you would probably stop reading too. So, I can't really tell you what it's about, but I think it is about a girl whose tribe is being forced to go from their homes. IT STINKS! Stay at least 50 feet away from this book. AT ALL TIMES. If you ever th
Not as good as his others in my opinion, mostly because he co-wrote it with another author. He died before this book was published, and Elizabeth whatever-her-name-is took over for him; you can tell where this happened, as the book gets much more violent and depressing. I was disappointed because I love everything else he's written.
Mar 31, 2009 Sara rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was the book that Scott O'Dell's didn't finish because he was writing it until about 2 days before he died at the age of 91 or something like that. I didn't like it as much as some of his others. Although I guess it is in keeping with his simplistic, straight-forward, hide-nothing-from-the-young-readers style. It was an interesting story, but there were some events that didn't really make sense to me at the end.
Apr 14, 2009 Meredith rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
School book..... It ended with a sort of satisfying TWANG but, the STUPID epilogue was depressing as all get out. SO GET OUT! That's what I say!!
Jun 08, 2009 Alexis rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In the middle of the summer Sound of Running Feet sees white men. They try to drive the Nez Perce out of their home. Read to find out what happens next........
Ginny Daniels
Jan 28, 2011 Ginny Daniels rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Used this with our unit on Native Americans. A sad story, but it helped the kids see how we treated the Native Americans.
Apr 29, 2011 Ashley added it
Shelves: just-for-fun
I read this in the 4th grade. I don't remember it at all, perhaps I'll pick it up again sometime and see what I think - and whether I would recommend it to children interested in Native American stories.
Dec 01, 2011 Hang rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: grade-6
I think this book is very descriptive. It teaches us a lot of things in the native americans time, but in a very fun, not boring way. It is about the Nez Perce having to move to another camp place because the Americans were trying to drive them out. Some wanted to fight and so they fought in the war.
I love, love, love Scott O'Dell's work! He writes historical fiction and my only wish is that there were even more books by him.
Feb 22, 2013 William rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: school-books
Written by Scott O'Dell and Elizabeth Hall, this book started very interesting, but ended with a very boring writing style and boring ending. I feel that if Scott O'Dell had written the ending, he would have focused a lot more on chief Joseph and his great words to Washington, than his daughter and the tribe that kidnaps her. because of this, I didn't particularly enjoy this book.

Fifteen-year-old Sound of Running Feet survives incredible hardship--including betrayal by both white men and other tribes in this fictionalized novella. Odell's detailed account of the brutal removal of the Nez Perce from Wallowa, Idaho to Oklahoma proves interesting reading both for students of Native American heritage as well as teenage girls in general.

The reader's understanding of this cruel odyssey is enhanced by the excellent map of this heart-rending Route
Anita Struyk
Mar 21, 2014 Anita Struyk rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great first nations read aloud this one to Jonas (Mar. 2014). American first nations: Nee-mee-poo.
A fast-paced, exciting tale told through the eyes of Chief Joseph's daughter, this book tells of the attempted relocation of the Nez Perce and the subsequent battles that took place between the waning members of the tribe and the "Blue Coats" who pursued them through Idaho and Montana. Included in this story is the event surrounding Chief Joseph's famous and heartbreaking surrender speech. Finished after O'Dell's death by his wife, Elizabeth Hall, this novel is a poignant look at the last days o ...more
Halie Petersen
Thunder Rolling in the Mountains was pretty good at some points and boring at others. It's easy to read. All in all it was good.
Miss Amanda
gr 5-8 126 pgs

1877, Wallowa Valley, Oregon / West. Follows The Sound of Running Feet, the daughter of Chief Joseph as her people the Ne-mee-po (Nez Perce) as they are forced from their homeland and fight against being forced onto a reservation.

Includes a lot of historical detail about daily life and the hardships they were forced to endure.
Oct 15, 2014 Johanna rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved this as a fifth grade or so girl. Haven't reread it recently, though, so no representations about the quality of the writing.
Dec 07, 2014 Susan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult-teen
From where the sun now stands, I will fight no more forever-Chief Joseph
I read this book after it was assigned to my fifth grader for her reading class. It is a historical fiction account of the Ni-mi-poo (Nez Pierce)being forced from their homelands in Washington State by the US Army as told from the perspective of Chief Joseph's daughter, Sound of Running Feet. The writer used historical documents to sequence the events of the story. There is much information on the culture of the Ni-mi-poo
Meaghan Steeves
This wasn't too bad, but I really didn't get anything out of the story except background for battles that took place in the 1870's.
Not O'Dell's best work, but an interesting, fictionalized account of a very sad, shameful story from our nation's history. I read this aloud as a supplement while teaching my children about this era in American history.
Apr 17, 2015 Jennie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is absolutely wonderful. Of course, that's just because I've always enjoyed books that give you a little bit of knowledge on things you wouldn't normally think about. The plot of this story is similar to most stories about this topic, but the author does a great job of making it unique. There are moments where I found myself cheering for the main character and also moments where I felt a tear roll down my cheek. This is basically an emotional rollercoaster with ups (and mostly) downs. ...more
The Aquamarine
Nov 22, 2015 The Aquamarine rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In 1877 American Soldiers are sent to force the Nez Perce onto a reservation. Chief Joseph fled toward Canada all the way being attacked. They able to win all of them but the last one. Book if filled with heartache and triumph. Good book for young readers a little slow but still interesting for older readers. I also find to be interesting this book would have not been finished if not for his Wife, Elizabeth Hall, stepping in and completing it after his his death in 1989.
Patricia Kaniasty
Oct 07, 2015 Patricia Kaniasty rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I did not realize that this was a true story. I love these stories about the indians. I always learn so very much. This is a sad story but then most of the indian stories are. Quick and easy read. Great for all ages.
Daisy Romero
Oct 26, 2015 Daisy Romero rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I feel bad for Swan Necklace because one of the other tribe warriors killed him. I also feel bad for Bending Willow because she was a little girl and died.
Catherine Boomer
This was an awesome book, but one that was also sad but true. I am glad there are books and stories out there that remind us what a difficult time the Native Americans had when they were forced to sacrifice everything.
Michelle Johnson
Jan 08, 2016 Michelle Johnson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Terrific realistic voice

A gripping read, but very dark. Even gruesome at times. I read it with my 5th grader and was surprised at the level of graphic violence.
True to the times though, and very enlightening at the same time.
Joni Rupnow
It was okay. The story is sad but it just didn't do much for me. I loved Island of the Blue Dolphins and have eagerly read it many times, this was a struggle to get through.
Amelia (ABC Book Lover)
Jun 01, 2016 Amelia (ABC Book Lover) rated it did not like it
I absolutely hated this book, It is predictable, to much war, and has a cheesy romance. I loved The Island Of The Blue Dolphins, and Zia. This book, did not work for me though.

I do not recommend this book.
A blunt, straightforward telling of the story of Chief Joseph and the Ne-mee-po's (also known as Nez Perce) experience as seen by his daughter, Sound of Running Feet. The story tells of her experience as the Ne-mee-po were kicked off their land by the Blue Coats (US soldiers) and what ensues as they work toward safety. Seeking safety they embark on a journey to freedom, but in the end are forced to surrender in the Battle of Bear Paw in Montana. Based on historical events and incorporating Chief ...more
How appropriate to finish this book on the day before Columbus Day as this is the sad story of Native Americans and their removal from their homes much like what we are celebrating on tomorrow sadly..Side Note I am all for states renaming this “federal holiday” to Indigenous People Day to remember all those that lost their homeland to those who “discovered” it and claimed it for America. Alright rant over but shout out to all those people of the land who were forcibly removed for gold and greed ...more
  • Riding the Pony Express
  • The Daring Nellie Bly: America's Star Reporter
  • John Brown: His Fight for Freedom
  • You Wouldn't Want to Be a Civil War Soldier!: A War You'd Rather Not Fight
  • Emma's Journal: The Story of a Colonial Girl (Young American Voices, #2)
  • Inside the Titanic: A Giant Cutaway Book
  • The Josefina Story Quilt
  • Theras and His Town
  • Dear Levi: Letters from the Overland Trail: Letters from the Overland Trail
  • If You're Not from the Prairie...
  • Greatest Skating Race: A World War II Story from the Netherlands
  • Arms & Armor
  • A Pioneer Sampler: The Daily Life of a Pioneer Family in 1840
  • A Wizard from the Start: The Incredible Boyhood and Amazing Inventions of Thomas Edison
  • Guns for General Washington: A Story of the American Revolution
  • The Little House Guidebook
  • Rocks in His Head
  • William Shakespeare & the Globe
Scott O'Dell (May 23, 1898 – October 16, 1989) was an American children's author who wrote 26 novels for youngsters, along with three adult novels and four nonfiction books. He was most famously the author of the children's novel Island of the Blue Dolphins (1960), which won the 1961 Newbery Medal as well as a number of other awards. Other award winning books by O'Dell include The King's Fifth (19 ...more
More about Scott O'Dell...