Start by marking “Five for a Little One” as Want to Read:
Five for a Little One

Five for a Little One

3.59 of 5 stars 3.59  ·  rating details  ·  154 ratings  ·  30 reviews
If you are a bunny, try a taste, take a gander, snuffle a sniff, relish a sound, and share a hug.

Everything around is waiting.

If you are a boy, or a girl, or a dog, or a kitty do like our friend Bunny.

And enjoy.

Published July 1st 2006 by Atheneum/Richard Jackson Books (first published June 20th 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Five for a Little One, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Five for a Little One

Zero by Kathryn OtoshiOne Grain Of Rice by DemiThe Greedy Triangle by Marilyn BurnsZero the Hero by Joan HolubHow Much Is a Million? by David M. Schwartz
Picture books about numbers and math
78th out of 118 books — 44 voters
Yo! Yes? by Chris RaschkaCharlie Parker Played Be Bop by Chris RaschkaA Ball for Daisy by Chris RaschkaArlene Sardine by Chris RaschkaEveryone Can Learn to Ride a Bicycle by Chris Raschka
Best of Chris Raschka
16th out of 39 books — 2 voters

More lists with this book...

A beautiful picture book to introduce the five senses. The paintings are interesting and connect well with the text. I also like the fairly advanced vocabulary for such a simple book. This title might be a bit young for a K-5 elementary collection but I definitely recommend it for bedtime reading.
Grace Willits
The five sense are discussed using a cute little bunny, covering a need to know topic for young children. Chris Raschka goes through each sense, describing what it is and how to use it the specific sense in Bunny’s life. Bunny is in black and white, making the colorful parts of each illustration pop off of the page. The most color is used for the third sense, sight, showing pink sunsets and yellow skylines. I like that the increased color is reflective of the sight sense. The story describes how ...more
Lexi.vernaglia
This book was alright, it isn’t a book that I would go straight to if I were to read and teach kids how to count. However, it is a clever it took me up to number three to figure out what they were getting at throughout the story. The book only goes up to number five and it counts off one by one all five of our senses. One is for smelling, two is for hearing, three is for sight, four is for taste, and five is for touch. With each sense they have a little story that goes with it. It is a cute boo ...more
Kelsey
This concept book helps children learn about the five senses. A small rabbit explores each of the senses and ends the story by learning that those five senses help him get to know the world around him. Some of the ways that concepts are described, such as "compare and contrast" for the sense of smell, may not make sense yet for very young readers. The book could be used to promote vocabulary about the five senses and the body parts that engage those senses.
Asho
I continuously find myself drawn to Raschka's illustrations in the children's room at the library. I pick up a book because it has a bold, unusual, and attractive cover, get it home, and then realize it's illustrated by Chris Raschka. So, clearly I find his illustrations appealing, and I think my son does, too. This book was especially cool because the little bunny ended up being a mix of the two parent bunnies. I like the smudgy quality of the illustrations (apparently the illustrator used pota ...more
Beverly
I liked the watercolor, ink, and potato print illustrations in this book better than his illustrations in other books.
Amanda
Great poetic way to talk about the 5 senses! And subtle use of a multicultural family.
Bree
Notes:
abstract-looking bunny teaches pre-k kids the five senses
Peacegal
In my opinion, this picture book was a bit of a mess.
Gabriela Sansoval
This is a great book that can be read aloud for children in the ages three to five. The rabbit explains the five senses, which provides great illustrations demonstrating each type of the five senses. The most thing that i liked that on the last pages it provides the numbers, which enhances the children learning. The children would not only be learning the five senses but they would also be practicing the numbers. Children would be really interested based on the illustrations.
Heather Colacurcio
Raschka creates an exciting and different way to learn about the five senses in this gorgeously illustrated picture book. Children can get a real grasp on what our senses do for us, as Raschka's examples go beyond the typical. Most importantly, it relates the five senses to a child's world, making the concepts easier for them to understand. Perfect for the Pre-K set and a fun way to read at home as well.
June
Apr 03, 2013 June rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: librarians, parents teachers
Always can use a new book on senses, for those numerous requests. However, I used this for my lap time rabbit program we had the counting and then I also used Peekaboo, Blueberry! (Which had multiple people asking for it.) to locate ears, eyes, mouth...5/2/12

Used again this year.
Mary
A lovely introduction to the 5 senses with Raschka's signature soft, melty style. I'm not sure the evocative text would hold my preschoolers' attention, but it's short enough that I'd be willing to try, and I think this would be a great one-on-one share with lots to talk about afterwards.
A bunny experiences all five of his (her?) senses in a celebratory tone. For each, we have examples of some of its more joyous aspects: for smell - "sample scents of flowers and foods, oceans and woods." I love the design of this book with its white pages, fuzzy bunny and potato-printed objects.
Megan
Probably the most successful of the last batch, but still slightly strange for Andrew. He seemed to get it more than the others, and it was fun to talk about our senses with this. But we have another 5 senses book that is a little more obvious for someone as young as Andrew.
Kendra Kinnan
The illustrations in this book were plain and simple. The few pictures in the back of "the little one" using his senses are beneficial to students. I liked the storyline and the rhymes used to help students learn the senses.
Shanaria
this book focuses on the five senses. i enjoyed that it gave examples of each sense and then it also retold the story with out the words.

have kids name the five senses and give examples of what each is uused for.
Dolly
Mar 31, 2009 Dolly rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Shelves: childrens, 2009
An interesting book that teaches about the five senses in a poetic style, with simple illustrations and a short narrative that is a bit more abstract than your average book for children.
Samantha
Explore the five senses with a bunny. Watercolor, ink and potato prints were used to render the illustrations. This is a great read aloud for toddlers and preschoolers!
Michael
Interesting, but not a very coherent story and not very memorable as far as teaching the senses goes. Maybe it was the phrasing, which was a little too clever.
Dulce Coronado
Easy read for children and they can also learn about the five scenes! But most important is LOVE! The love parents have for their children.
Sally
Abstract, yet interesting and effective, introduction to the five senses. A little strange for my taste, but well done.
Emily Brown
PB31 - This book would be PERFECT for teaching preschoolers how to count and to use their senses! Love it!
Jess
fun illustrations, beautiful concept, simple writing - excellent choice for the youngest of readers.
Natalie
A most beautiful way to explore the five senses in print form.
Noushin Naziripour
Great for toddler time and teaching children about senses.
Courtney Collins
Perfect way to teach young students about the 5 senses!
Prplpckl
A poetic exploration of the five senses.
Julie
A wonderful and loving book on our senses.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • 1-2-3 Peas
  • I'm Fast!
  • I Know A Wee Piggy
  • I Am Small
  • Alphabet Under Construction
  • What's Your Sound, Hound the Hound?
  • Be Boy Buzz
  • How To
  • Ten Little Caterpillars
  • Dog and Bear: Two Friends, Three Stories
  • Jump, Frog, Jump!
"I always try to treat the book itself as the artwork," Chris Raschka says. "I don't want you to stop while you're reading one of my books and say, 'Oh! What a gorgeous illustration!' I want you to stop at the end of the book and say, 'This is a good book.' "

Chris Raschka is one of those people who knew from an early age what he wanted to be when he grew up. "It was never a question in my mind,"
More about Chris Raschka...
A Ball for Daisy Yo! Yes? Daisy Gets Lost Charlie Parker Played Be Bop Everyone Can Learn to Ride a Bicycle