Start by marking “The Siege of Macindaw (Ranger's Apprentice, #6)” as Want to Read:
The Siege of Macindaw (Ranger's Apprentice, #6)

The Siege of Macindaw (Ranger's Apprentice #6)

4.33  ·  Rating Details ·  39,602 Ratings  ·  1,120 Reviews
In a desolate northern fief, Will is trying to find the fighting men he needs to overcome Sir Keren and his band of criminals. Across the border, the fierce Scotti tribesmen are waiting for the signal that Castle Macindaw is in friendly hands, and the way is clear to mount a full-scale attack.
Time is running out. Will's courage and ingenuity - and the arrival of an old fr
Published September 1st 2009 by Random House Australia (first published May 1st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about The Siege of Macindaw, please sign up.

Asteropê Someone numbered the wrong. They were going by chronological story-line, not the official publication order. I have edited and changed them to the…moreSomeone numbered the wrong. They were going by chronological story-line, not the official publication order. I have edited and changed them to the official, publication listing, which puts them as such:

5. The Sorcerer in the North (2006)
aka The Sorcerer of the North
6. The Siege of Macindaw (2009)
7. Erak's Ransom (2006)

Series can have listing that differ, to account for chronological story-lines, but as far as I know, the main, official series list should follow the official, publication order. (less)

Moraes the Bookworm
How fast time passes... we are already in the sixth book. Since the fifth book ends in a classic Flanagan cliffhanger, obviously I was super excited to start reading this one.

After the frustrating ending to book five, Will finds himself having to invade castle Macindaw without the aid of any army. I view this book as a parallel to the fourth and fifth ones in the sense that in the latter he develops his physical skills noticeably while in this book we can understand a lot more of his mentality.
Kathleen
And thus the two-book adventure in wintry Norgate comes to a close. Fair winds to the Skandians, particularly Gundar Hardstriker. Farewell to the brilliant healer, the tender-hearted giant, the unpopular chamberlain. Au revoir to Horace and Alyss. We'll see you again, no doubt. Come visit me at Seacliff.

3.75 stars (good but too predictable). I rounded it up to 4 stars because it's such a heartwarming book, with a sweet finish. No sex, no cussing, but beware of some bloody battles and scary super
Alicia O'Carrick
This series is wonderful. Absolutely wonderful. It's full of beautiful kingdoms and fiefs, epic action sequences and strategic planning, slight humor every now and again that makes my sides hurt laughing, and characters that I want to cuddle so hard. It's the best series I've read in a long time, and as of now, it stands as my favorite.

I'm halfway through and everything is still such a blast. I can't wait to see what the other half looks like.
Ahmad Sharabiani
The Siege of Macindaw (Ranger's Apprentice, #6), John Flanagan
عنوان: محاصره مکینداو - جنگاوران جوان کتاب ششم؛ نویسنده: جان فلنگان؛ مترجم: فائزه اثناعشری؛ تهران، افق، 1393، در 405 ص؛ نقشه، شابک: 9786003530362؛ موضوع: داستانهان کودکان از نویسندگان انگلیسی قرن 21 م
Dan
Feb 20, 2016 Dan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016
Quite good!
Mike (the Paladin)
Sep 16, 2011 Mike (the Paladin) rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
I've found these books to be sort of, "uneven". I liked the early books, but the sequence concerning Will's captivity lost me some what as I found my interest waning. A lot of this will of course be somewhat personal and subjective and apply to me, some will I suppose find it to be true for them others less so. I found my interest in this YA series picking back up somewhat in the last couple of books (aside from my annoyance at the blatant cliffhanger with which the book before this ended).

Let m
C.B. Cook
Oct 12, 2016 C.B. Cook rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sadly lacking in Halt... but somehow still amazing!
R. L. Snowe
Feb 28, 2015 R. L. Snowe rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Ok so I gave this book one star because it was that bad. Really was it that bad? yes it was that bad and more.
I was so disappointed in this sixth book of the Ranger's Apprentice series! The first four books where so great and this one fell utterly short. I HAD hoped after reading the last book and being bored out of my mind that this next one would pick up a little, boy did it not.
Quiet frankly it got to be a chore reading it by the end of the book and I was jumping in my seat waiting to get do
Rachel Lightwood
The Siege of Macindaw was much better than The Sorcerer in the North. I was glad to have Horace back - his and Will's relationship (and banter!) is becoming one of my favourite part of the series. I liked seeing them work together without Halt or Crowley or any of the other mentors. And getting some Skandians back on the scene was fantastic. They always supply some comic relief and epic fight sequences.

Overall, a great sequel. I look forward to getting some answers in Erak's Ransom.
Lexie
Dec 12, 2015 Lexie rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-i-own, 4-stars
7/10. This book was very good. It had great action, and I adored the characters and loved the writing style as always.
Tara
Jan 09, 2008 Tara rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My favourite in the series. Probably the funniest.
rissabean
Jan 19, 2009 rissabean rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
They just keep getting better and better!!!!
Edgar Arias
May 29, 2015 Edgar Arias rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
****spoiler Alert****

He's not resting until shes right next to his side and until he does hes going to do the impossible for her. This book is an adventure,action,type of story. i give this book a five out of five cause its so good.

This story takes place mainly in Macindaw the castle and also Grimsdell wood where it is in the woods. So when we left of Will made a promise to Alyss that he would save her and get her back. Will in needing of an army and does which he finds the skandians and offer
Phleghm
I will make this 'review' for this and the previous book, as they cannot be separated in any way. Story wise, ofcourse. Page wise, they obviously have been.

There are a few major complaints I have about this 5 year time skip. I generally love time skips. It moves a story forward, characters can develop in more drastic ways, a lot of things can change, and the need to adapt to the new setting is generally very enjoyable. But, this one annoyed me.

Will, as such, didn't change. One tiny bit. His skil
Marjolein
Read all my reviews on http://urlphantomhive.booklikes.com

Because of the Ranger's Apprentice Day I recently attended with my youngest sister (and the following meet-and-greet with the author) I decided it was time to read more books in the Ranger's Apprentice series and start where I left off.

The Siege of Macindaw is the sixth instalment of the series and forms one story together with the fifth book. The main thing happening in this book is the actual siege.

I was a little bit disappointed tha
Hannah
I am slowing down with this series and toying with the idea of handing them all off to my niblings without finishing the rest.

The middle school boys I taught this year were all over the books in this series, but while I love training-the-hero stories and especially fantasy without magic, I find myself wanting something a little more grown-up.
Alexa
Jul 27, 2013 Alexa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really loved this book! It's so cool to see Will on his own now, though I do miss Halt a lot :(. I kinda wish there had been more of him in the book, but I guess Will would never grow up then. *sigh*
Darien Rodgers
Jan 22, 2015 Darien Rodgers rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: personal
I loved this book, it was filled with action, adventure, suspense and has a good sense of humor.
Thea Tabanas
Wow, so after a few months, I finally chose to get back to this series again; figured I should finish the book since I was interrupted by the book's due date, hence why I couldn't complete it the first time. But now, I finished! Yay for me~ *small claps*

Let's begin!

Story:
The Siege of Macindaw begins where the previous installment of the series left off: Will and his friends find a way to take back Castle Macindaw and save Alyss.

That's it. That's the summary and the main point of this book XD

Si
Karen Kaiser
I have a real soft spot for this series. I really do. I see people giving three stars and four stars and to be honest, they're probably giving more objective opinions. But I can't help it. I love this series to death.

I've been writing reviews for all of the books in this series as I re-read them. So I have nothing to say that I haven't already said in other reviews of these books. Good writing, great characters, interesting plots, amazingly creative, etc. etc.

There's only one thing that I don'
Braxton Freeman
Oct 24, 2013 Braxton Freeman rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a very good book and it kept me interested throughout. I have read the entire series twice, and it is one of my very favorite books of the series. The series is also one of my favorite series.

This book was about 2 guys who were both known throughout the kingdom as heroes. One, Horace, as a warrior. The other, Will, as a ranger. They have to go to castle macindaw to investigate strange happenings. They soon find out that there is treachery about to happen, and must stop it to save aralue
Jason Yee
Jan 19, 2010 Jason Yee rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is a sequel to the Ranger's Apprentice. This book is about Will and Horace meeting up again after a long department. There seems to be an occuasion/misunderstanding of the lord of a castle called Macindaw. The lord, Orman, was the lord of the castle, until a commander, Keren who betray everyone's trust in order to gain control of the castle. So Orman and his servent, Xander escaped into the woods with the help of Will. They fled to Malcolm's place to seek shelter.
Will and Horace met
Vincent
Sep 15, 2016 Vincent rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very exciting glad I picked this series back up after a couple of years of not reading a book from it.
Meghan Coffey
Feb 06, 2014 Meghan Coffey rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: juvenile
Oh my gosh this book was SO HARD TO GET THROUGH. I was bored throughout most of the book, and I actually didn't touch it for a whole week before picking it back up again. I feel like instead of getting steadily better like I've heard, this series is getting steadily worse. I mean, in the first four, there was character development, interesting plot, there was more to the story than just fighting/strategizing, etc. In this book and the last, it's honestly just about strategizing for yet another f ...more
04HarryS
Oct 30, 2012 04HarryS rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: book-reviews
Rangers Apprentice: Siege On Macindaw
John Flanagan
The audience of this book is just about everyone, people who like action, suspense, drama, and a little romance would like this book.
The main problem this book addresses is thinking on your feet and being able to jump from one plan to another.
medieval ages, in a northern castle.
Protagonist: Will, Horace, Alyss, Malcom. Will: Will is a brave young man in his early 20's. He is smart, fast on his feet, and ready for anything. Horace: Strong, tough,
Tacowsh1t
Oct 15, 2010 Tacowsh1t rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
So when i recieved this book i was a little worried about reading it. It is completely not the type of book that i would ever pick up at a book store. One because it is a young adult book and two because its not historical reading, its more fake historical (set in the past, in a made up place with swords and castles.) And since this was book six in the series, I was worried that i wouldn't understand what was going on. Needless to say i wasn't looking forward to reading it. But i did anyway. And ...more
Josh Theriault
Nov 12, 2014 Josh Theriault rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People who like fantasy books or the series.
Shelves: term-1
Ranger's Apprentice is the 6th book in the series.

I really liked Ranger's Apprentice: The Siege of MacIndaw, it was probably one of my favorite in the series.

About the Series
Ranger’s Apprentice is a series of 12 books, the first book came out in 2005, and the most recent, and final book came out in late 2013. The series is about a teen boy who wishes to become a knight in the kingdom,but instead gets invited to the prestigious group known as the Ranger’s Corp, they master in the art of stealth,
Lanie
Jun 22, 2016 Lanie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Epic fantasy fans.
loved! This is one of my most favorite middle grade series. Loved seeing Horace & Will together again. & will and his ideas for the siege were just brilliant.

This installment (and even the whole series) really displays mr. Flanagan's knowledge of medieval warfare and weaponry.

Brilliant writing as always. Serious when needed, sad when needed. And the perfect amount and timing of comic relief. Really. John Flanagan is terribly funny. I laughed out loud in several places. :) his chapter br
papasteve
This is the follow up book that continues the story of The Sorcerer of the North. I've liked the previous books in the series a little better than these two. Will, the main character is growing up, maturing. He's figuring out how to handle life and difficult situations without his mentor Halt to lead the way. In men's development literature, one of the themes is how we men may have a mentor that teaches us about life. But at some point we have to go our own way. We have to make our way in life o ...more
Andrew Handel
Oct 07, 2015 Andrew Handel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
After the northern outpost of the Kingdom of Araluen, Castle Macindaw, is overthrown by the evil knight Keren. A King’s Ranger named Will Treaty needs to find a team of men to take the castle back. Also, he has to rescue his friend Alyss from the Keep. In the process of making an “army” he meets some strange but helpful characters. My opinion of the book is it was nice, not a real page turner though. There was a lot of character and plot development development in the story. There are also some ...more
  • The Horn of Moran (Adventurers Wanted, #2)
  • Player's Ruse (Knight and Rogue, #3)
  • Rage of Lions (Wereworld, #2)
  • Attack of the Fiend (The Last Apprentice / Wardstone Chronicles, #4)
  • Apartment 255
  • Ondskabens engel (Den store djævlekrig, #4)
  • The Squire's Quest (The Squire's Tales, #9)
  • The Fiend and the Forge (The Tapestry, #3)
  • The Way of the Sword (Young Samurai, #2)
  • The Hidden Coronet (Relic Master, #3)
  • Sir Quinlan and the Swords of Valor (The Knights of Arrethtrae, #5)
  • Ironhand (Stoneheart Trilogy, #2)
  • The Rise of the Wyrm Lord (The Door Within, #2)
  • Orphan of Destiny (The Youngest Templar, #3)

For mysteries by this same author, see John A. Flanagan.

John Flanagan grew up in Sydney, Australia, hoping to be a writer. It wasn't until he wrote a highly uncomplimentary poem about a senior executive at the agency where he worked, however, that his talent was revealed. It
More about John Flanagan...

Ranger's Apprentice (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • The Ruins of Gorlan (Ranger's Apprentice, #1)
  • The Burning Bridge (Ranger's Apprentice, #2)
  • The Icebound Land (Ranger's Apprentice, #3)
  • The Battle for Skandia (Ranger's Apprentice, #4)
  • The Sorcerer in the North (Ranger's Apprentice, #5)
  • Erak's Ransom (Ranger's Apprentice, #7)
  • The Kings of Clonmel (Ranger's Apprentice, #8)
  • Halt's Peril (Ranger's Apprentice, #9)
  • The Emperor of Nihon-Ja (Ranger's Apprentice, #10)
  • The Lost Stories (Ranger's Apprentice, #11)

“Any sign of them yet? he asked. Will looked at him. 'Yes', he said. 'A party of fifty Scotti came though just twenty minutes ago'.
Really? Horace looked startled. He wasn't fully awake yet. Will rolled his eyes to heaven. 'Oh, my word, yes', he said. 'They were riding on oxen and playing bagpipes and drums. Of course not,' he went on. 'If they had come past, I would have woken you-if only to stop your snoring'.
I don't snore', Horace said, with dignity. Will raised his eyebrows. 'Is that so?' he said. 'Then in that case, you'd better chase out that colony of walruses who are in the tent with you...of course you snore.”
299 likes
“Will looked up angrily, shaking his head in disbelief.
Will you shut up? he said tautly.
Horace shrugged in apology. 'I'm sorry' he said, I sneezed. A person can't help it when they sneeze.
Perhaps not. But you could try to make it sound a little less like an elephant trumpeting in agony; Will told him. ”
245 likes