Start by marking “Trucker (Der Nomen-Zyklus, #1)” as Want to Read:
Trucker (Der Nomen-Zyklus, #1)

Trucker (Bromeliad Trilogy #1)

3.87  ·  Rating Details ·  10,285 Ratings  ·  324 Reviews
Die »Nomen«, knapp 10 cm groß, leben am Rand einer Autobahn. Eines Tages müssen sie auswandern. In einem Kaufhaus treffen sie auf weitere Mitglieder ihres Volkes. Das Kaufhaus ist ihr Universum. Ein »Draussen« gibt es nicht. Die Jahrezeiten heißen »Frühjahrsmode«, »Sommerschlussverkauf«, »Winterschlussverkauf« und »Weihnachten«, im Keller des Universums vermuten sie ein fü ...more
Published 1993 by Wilhelm Heyne Verlag (first published 1989)

To ask other readers questions about Trucker, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Trucker

Mario
Apr 24, 2016 Mario rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own, own-read
If you ask 10 nomes to push four will pull and two will say pardon.

Reading this book was pure fun. Technically, this was my first Pratchett's book. I've read Good Omens, but he co-wrote that with Neil Gaiman. And after reading Good Omens I knew that Pratchett's books are going to be fun to read, and I was completely right. But also, while this book had lots of humor, it still had some meaningful things hidden in that humor. And I'm so glad that I have second part of this series, because I'm goin
Mark Lawrence
My wife bought this for Celyn and I read it to her.

There are plenty of good things to say about the book. It has a moderate supply of Terry Pratchett's trademark wit for starters. The nomes (gnomes if you like) are an interesting mix of clever and stupid, and the addition of a lost history and their origin in the stars gives a refreshing sci-fi twist to a fantasy-in-the-real-world story. I wonder why that appeals to me...

I'm not sure what age range this is aimed at, but it's published by Corgi C
Anuradha
Mar 19, 2016 Anuradha rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Anuradha by: Drishtana
Review to come, because post-match euphoria.
Alice Gold
The librarian at our local library has amazing taste in books. When she hands me a stack every time I go to the library I know I will like every single one. She is such a motivation for me to read often.

This book is the first in a series of three books and was recommended to me by her and she said, "You are going to love these." She was absolutely right. While reading the whole time I kept thinking I want to write books like these. Forget the huge daunting novel. How about a short, quirky, hilar
Margo
May 13, 2016 Margo rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, classics, 2016
Very, very funny. Surprised to see on Amazon that this book is listed as ages 8 - 10. I first read it in my mid twenties, and enjoyed equally well now in my late forties. You can't put an age limit on humour!
Tor Gar
Libro en el que unos gnomos que viven en nuestro mundo - aunque no los vemos debido a la relatividad del tiempo- se ven forzados a abandonar su hogar y descubrir cosas nuevas como la electricidad o algo tan simple como el mundo.
La prosa no es muy refinada al contrario que otros libros del autor aunque si tenemos en cuenta que se publicó cuando los dos primeros libros de mundodisco ya nos podemos hacer una idea de que todavía no estaba afinada. Se trata de un autor con el que me cuesta muchísimo
Kyriakos Sorokkou
That was a fast read. This was my first Terry Pratchett book. I was lucky that it wasn't part of the Discworld series because I wasn't sure which of the books I found there at the bazaar was the 1st from the 40+ books of the Discworld series, so I was lucky that this book was part of a trilogy not a fortylogy.
The protagonists of this series are the Nomes or Gnomes if you like, they move faster than us (humans) so we (almost) can't see them, that means we are moving like sloths to them and speak
Qt
Dec 10, 2007 Qt rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of thoughtful, imaginative, juvenile stories
I really liked this one! It was an exciting, thoughtful, and, I thought, intelligent story of the four inch high nomes and their struggle to find somewhere safe to live. It was interesting to read about how they find ways to use the much bigger, human-sized objects, and the adventures they have are surprisingly gripping and dramatic.
I am looking forward to the rest of the series!

I've been a fan of Terry Pratchett's Discworld series since I was a teenager but I'd never actually read his Bromeliad trilogy so when I was given the chance to take part in the Farewell Terry Pratchett Blog Tour I thought it was the perfect time to pick up my copy of Truckers.

I didn't actually know a great deal about this story before I started reading, I knew it was a children's book and I knew it wasn't connected to the Discworld but that's about it. I was sure it would be clever and witty li
Zana
This is the sort of engaging, fun, funny story that would be ten zillion times better if there were more than one female character in the entire F*ing thing. But, you say, there are three female characters -- THREE out of a cast of two thousand (and not a single female background character, mind). And unto you I say, they are all the same damn characters: stubborn, plucky windowdressing with a side of "of course women should learn to read" thrown in. This was published only fifteen years ago, wh ...more
Sofia
May 27, 2015 Sofia rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: galleys
Book review: http://bookishgirlthings.tumblr.com/p...

I received this book from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

This was the first time I read a book by Terry Pratchett. It was a quick and funny read (I found myself laughing out loud a couple of times). If you are looking for a children's book for yourself or to give to someone else I think this would be a good choice. The writing in this book makes it accessible to everyone.
However, I didn't like the way females were portrayed most of
Ravyn
"He knew what he had to do. It was, of course, an impossible task. But he was used to them. Dragging a rat all the way from the wood to the hole had been an impossible task. But it wasn’t impossible to drag it a little way, so you did that, and then you had a rest, and then you dragged it a little way again…The way to deal with an impossible task was to chop it down into a number of merely very difficult tasks and break each one of them into a group of horribly hard tasks, and each one of them i ...more
Cynthia Egbert
May 04, 2015 Cynthia Egbert rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: prospector-loans
It has been a long time since i read about the Nomes and I am enjoying getting reacquainted. I am sorry that it took Sir Terry's death to bring me back to this trilogy. If you have young people in your household have them give these books a try, I think they will enjoy them as much as I did when I was younger, not young, but younger. Here are a few quotes to make you smile.

"I don't know enough words, he thought. Some things you can't think unless you know the right words."

(Speaking of the Nome's
Saoirse Sterling
[Quick, short review from memory before I re-read and review fully:

Memories are fairly vague, though the plot is almost there. I recall I enjoyed it, though I don't remember specifics. No characters spring to mind but setting is viable. Some happenings. Good writing. Elsewise vague.]
Larry Schmidt
Aug 29, 2009 Larry Schmidt rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: for-young-adults
What begins as one of those "cute" stories about little people living in baseboards and using paper clip chains as climbing ropes becomes both an entertaining adventure and an exploration of superstition, prejudice, the nature of religion, and how we know what we know. And it's funny.
Bogdan
Nov 19, 2014 Bogdan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: brits
This was one of the funniest books I've read lately. The nomes are so funny as they learn and interact with human world. Indeed it is children literature, but of great quality and one type of story that adults can enjoy as well.

The premise in children literature is usually formed of the ethical concepts children could learn by reading it. In this first novel of the trilogy, these are helping others, learning to cooperate for a common goal and learning new things. But apart from these, there are
Tom Szakal
Aug 29, 2015 Tom Szakal rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nomes, nomes, and more nomes! What's not to like? Fun characters, a parallel life with humans at the store (Arnold Bros) and a fun little twist at the end.

Gets really funny when the nomes try to break out of the store. Masklin (leader by default) encourages the nomes to learn how to read which he felt may help them in there quest to break out.

Vinto, a young idea nome, has a plan. "What you do is you get a gnu, then you point it at the driver and someone says, "look out, he's got a gnu" and you s
Ana
Jun 22, 2015 Ana rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
U tom razgovoru Gurder je bio besan. "Čitanje", rekao je tada. "Da ovde dođe svaka noumska budala i da nam istroši tekstove preteranim gledanjem! Zašto ne odaš svima sve naše veštine, kad si već tako krenuo?
Annalisa
Feb 14, 2014 Annalisa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: a-fun-read
I've loved the Bromeliad Trilogy since I read the first page of the first book years ago. It gives me warm fuzzy feelings inside because it so good and sooo funny in the wonderful way of Terry Pratchett. It doesn't hurt that Pratchett makes fun of human eccentricities (mostly organised religion) in a very British, matter of fact way that greatly appeals to my Swedish humour. If I were to underline every quotable line in this book it would be half red. I'd recommend it to anyone who enjoys a good ...more
Matt Keefe
May 09, 2015 Matt Keefe rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"Nomes are small. On the whole, small creatures don't live for a long time. But perhaps they do live fast. Let me explain.
One of the shortest-lived creatures on the planet Earth is the adult common mayfly. It lasts for one day. The longest-living things are the bristlecone pine trees, at 4,700 years and still counting.
This may seem tough on mayflies. But the impotant thing is not how long your life is, but how long it seems.
To a mayfly, a single hour may last as long as a century. Perhaps old m
Anoush Emrazian
I have no idea how I hadn't heard of this until now! I first read Pratchett years ago and have since read several handfuls of his books and enjoyed almost all of them. These wee Nomes are so, so interesting and hilarious in a dry, British way. These wee people must find a way to survive, whether out in the wild or within a soon-to-be-closing department store.

A few of the funnier bits, that are more tongue in cheek than laugh out loud, but I appreciated them enough to mark them:

"The important thi
Laura Fudge
Oct 19, 2011 Laura Fudge rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It took me a while to read this as there were a few days when I was just so busy I didn’t have a chance to pick it up! But, I loved it!

I love Terry Pratchett anyway, he makes me laugh, makes me think and makes me not want to put his books down. I was slightly worried that as this book was written for children, I may not appreciate it as much as his books for adults, but I was wrong, it was great. I remember when these were published and when the TV series was on, but at this point ( I think I wa
Stephanie Ricker
I’m all about Terry Pratchett’s Bromeliad trilogy these days, which is sort of like The Borrowers for grown-ups. It is, of course, tremendously witty and entertaining—it’s Pratchett—but it’s also unexpectedly philosophical. Here’s his introductory note, Concerning Nomes and Time, to get a taste:

Nomes are small. On the whole, small creatures don’t live for a long time. But perhaps they do live fast.

Let me explain.

Jim Leech
Jul 31, 2012 Jim Leech rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
'Do you not even remember that you are shipwrecked?'
'I'm Masklin,' said Masklin. 'I don't know who shipwrecked is.'

Masklin is one of a dozen four inch high "nomes" that have finally had enough of foxes, rain and having to eat cold chips thrown away at a nearby motorway cafe. In a desperate plan they stow away on a lorry and end up in a new world: "Thestore".

Thestore has its own nomes, its own problems, and also electricity, which when combined with the tribe's mascot "The Thing" produces some ve
Adriana
Clever and cute, and I'll definitely read all three in the trilogy, but you can tell it's early-ish Terry Pratchett. The characters are not too deeply developed and the dialogue is also not as well-paced as it gets. But, Truckers is still a fun story to read, and I loved the Book of Nomes references throughout, as well as the hilarious scenarios. I can only smile when I imagine the Rube Goldberg-esque inventions the Nomes would have to make in order to carry out their plans!
Ondřej Puczok
Sep 16, 2016 Ondřej Puczok rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Kdysi dávno jsem četl první vydání ještě od jiného překladatele (nebo překladatelky? už ani nevím...) a bylo to super. Když jsem tedy četl o novém vydání, těšil jsem se na čtení. Uplynulo ale sedm let a já se ke knize (vlastně knihám, když jde o celou sérii) nedostal. Tak tedy dnes konečně a zase super. Na první vydání už si dějově skoro nevzpomínám, takže jsem si to užil maximálně. Těším se na další dva díly...
Anna (BooksandBookends)
I received a free copy of the book by the book's publishers via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

Truckers tells the untold story of the Nomes, who are only about 4 inches tall! The Nomes live inside a department store and its walls are to them the boundaries of the world. However, everything they know is turned upside down when Nomes arrive from outside the store...

Another brilliant Pratchett book, which is as to be expected. However, it's not one of my absolute favourites of his. The
Johara Almogbel
Jun 09, 2016 Johara Almogbel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: in-the-library
It's been a while since I loved a book as much as I have this one. Terry Pratchett, you were a magician with words, and the world is most definitely worse off without you in it.

The book revolves around a tribe of nomes, Outsiders, who happen upon a nome utopia called the Store. But things are afoot and this is why I don't write book summaries because I am so very utterly horrible at them. Ahem.

Bottom line is, buy this. Read this. Chuckle at it. Enjoy it. It's a bit like the carpet people but a l
Josie
Sep 03, 2009 Josie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, young-adult
My first ever Pratchett. Why have I waited so long? I think I used to look at the covers of the Discworld novels and think the stories would be all over the place, with an insane sense of humour that I wouldn't quite get. Maybe the Discworld novels are like that, but this one isn't! The humour is - oh, how to explain it - sly and subtle and fun... it's not the narrator being funny, it's the characters - and they don't even realise they're being funny, it's only the reader who can laugh at the no ...more
Thomas
Jul 04, 2016 Thomas rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
These books are amazing! I am so going back to read the rest and more of Terry Pratchett
  • The Leaky Establishment
  • Ordinary Jack (The Bagthorpe Saga, #1)
  • Keväällä isä sai siivet (Austraasia, #1)
  • The Wind on the Moon
  • Ash Road
  • The Ship That Flew
  • Jennings & Darbishire
  • The Incredible Adventures of Professor Branestawm
  • The 18th Emergency
  • The Oxford Book of Fantasy Stories
  • Arizona (Lucky Luke #3)
  • Knights Of Madness
  • The Cuckoo Clock
  • How the Whale Became and Other Stories
  • Something's Fishy, Hazel Green
  • Footrot Flats 1 (Footrot Flats, #1)
  • The Swish of the Curtain
  • The Fairy Tales Of Madame d'Aulnoy

More about Terry Pratchett...

Bromeliad Trilogy (3 books)
  • Diggers (Bromeliad Trilogy, #2)
  • Wings (Bromeliad Trilogy, #3)

“The way to deal with an impossible task was to chop it down into a number of merely very difficult tasks, and break each one of them into a group of horribly hard tasks, and each of them into tricky jobs, and each of them...” 11 likes
“The important thing about being a leader is not being right or wrong but being certain. Of course it helps to be right as well, the Abbot conceeded.” 8 likes