Start by marking “The Breach: Inside the Impeachment and Trial of William Jefferson Clinton” as Want to Read:
The Breach: Inside the Impeachment and Trial of William Jefferson Clinton

The Breach: Inside the Impeachment and Trial of William Jefferson Clinton

Offers a perspective on the Lewinsky scandal, impeachment of the president, and the overwhelming media coverage.
Published September 18th 2000 by Scribner Book Company (first published September 1st 2000)

To ask other readers questions about The Breach, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Breach

Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire by J.K. RowlingA Storm of Swords by George R.R. MartinAngels & Demons by Dan BrownThe Amber Spyglass by Philip PullmanThe Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay by Michael Chabon
Best Books of 2000
265th out of 329 books — 170 voters
All the President's Men by Carl BernsteinMaster of the Senate by Robert A. CaroTruman by David McCulloughMeans of Ascent by Robert A. CaroThe Path to Power by Robert A. Caro
American Politics
67th out of 138 books — 77 voters

More lists with this book...

Apr 20, 2011 Lobstergirl rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Knox Jolie-Pitt
A solid effort from journalist Baker, although I definitely could have done without Susan Collins' insipid diary entries ("Ironically, having been through this crisis may make it easier, not harder, for us to work together. This experience has changed each of us individually, and as a Senate, forever.") and the standard hackneyed Beltwayese adjectives. Politicians are fresh-faced (Evan Bayh), crusty (Ted Stevens, three times crusty), maverick (Peter King, Lowell Weicker, Russell Feingold, and of ...more
This is a nitty-gritty, behind-the-scenes look at Congress and the White House during the House impeachment and Senate trial. It's a fascinating display of the way the major parties practice politics. Contrary to most appearances, Republicans and Democrats don't hate each other, at an institutional level. And rarely do their public words and utterances match their private beliefs and actions.

Peter Baker covered the White House for the Washington Post from 1996 to 1999, so he witnessed many of th
Sep 16, 2007 Nathan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Newt Gingrich fans.
Shelves: history-politics
The Breach was not what I was expecting. Going into it, I was pretty sure it would be a political hack job against the Republicans without revealing much of the actual process that led to President Clinton's impeachment. Thankfully, Baker surprised me. The Breach reveals the absurdity of it all, without the daily, opinion-shifting political winds of the newspapers and talk shows of the time or the pro or con books showing up every Tuesday on the "new books" rack at your libraries and Borders. Th ...more
Ian Headon
Jan 10, 2016 Ian Headon rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

Remarkably detailed summary of the impeachment

Non partisan - many new details and perspectives, including how intelligent Ms Lewinsky was viewed

Thoroughly recommend
Peg Holsapple
Boring.....Didn't finish. His next book I read about Bush was excellent but this one not so much. Disappointed.
Dec 28, 2009 Alanmartinson rated it really liked it
An in-depth account of the Clinton Impeachment, this book caused me to vascillate between disgust with our current political situation, including the failures of our constitutional system, and renewed hope for our leaders and constitutional system. I like Bill Clinton less, his advisors more, the House less, the Senate more, Tom Delay less (if that were possible), Henry Hyde more, and so on. In all, a thoughtful and engaging account of one of the more unfortunate chapters in our history.
Jun 08, 2010 Rob rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As someone who believes the country went crazy during this impeachment crisis, and that the whole tawdry episode was the result of jealous Republicans, this was a refreshing inside look at the whole affair. I can't count how many times I cursed Tom DeLay and his posse while I read this book. I can't decide if he looked more rediculous foaming at the mouth during the impeachment crisis, or on Dancing with the Stars.
Damian Brew
Dec 23, 2013 Damian Brew rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Excellent inside baseball look at the politics surrounding the Clinton impeachment episode. While this is almost ancient history at this point, the story is insightful regardless of your political leanings. Probably more of a case than I had expected.
May 10, 2009 Matt rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: history
A solid tick-tock telling of how the Clinton impeachment played out between Congress and the White House. A good book to read after reading Michael Isikoff's Uncovering Clinton.
Nov 28, 2007 Michael rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: politics
bland but probably the most comprehensive early nuts-and-bolts account of what happened
Sonja marked it as to-read
Oct 11, 2016
Audrey Zarr
Audrey Zarr marked it as to-read
Oct 11, 2016
Conrad marked it as to-read
Oct 10, 2016
Alexander marked it as to-read
Oct 09, 2016
Matt marked it as to-read
Oct 09, 2016
Stjames marked it as to-read
Sep 29, 2016
Joshua Valle
Joshua Valle marked it as to-read
Sep 07, 2016
Colin marked it as to-read
Aug 23, 2016
Paul marked it as to-read
Aug 02, 2016
Daniel Fevrin
Daniel Fevrin marked it as to-read
Aug 03, 2016
Alex Cichan
Alex Cichan rated it really liked it
Jul 10, 2016
Sandy marked it as to-read
Jul 04, 2016
Melina added it
Jun 29, 2016
Michael Paramathasan
Michael Paramathasan marked it as to-read
Jun 15, 2016
Ryan Haney
Ryan Haney rated it really liked it
May 27, 2016
Chris Heisler
Chris Heisler rated it it was amazing
Apr 23, 2016
Chris Gonyea
Chris Gonyea marked it as to-read
Apr 07, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
There is more than one author with this name in the database.

Peter Baker has been a journalist for the Washington Post and the New York Times. He covered President Bill Clinton's impeachment trial, resulting in the book The Breach. As the Post's Moscow bureau chief, he wrote the book Kremlin Rising. He is married to the journalist Susan Glasser.
More about Peter Baker...