Start by marking “Sector C” as Want to Read:
Sector C

Sector C

3.51  ·  Rating Details  ·  809 Ratings  ·  94 Reviews
Amazon Top 100 (Apr 2012 and Dec 2013)

A rise in stroke-like cases has CDC analyst Mike Shafer on alert. Patients in every demographic in the Great Plains area, from toddlers to healthy adults to the elderly, are succumbing to rapid deterioration - and death.

Veterinarian Donna Bailey, meanwhile, is dealing with an outbreak of her own. It looks like mad cow disease. But to b
Nook, 256 pages
Published August 30th 2011 by Dare To Dream Press (first published August 11th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Sector C, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sector C

M.A. Comley
Apr 14, 2013 M.A. Comley rated it it was amazing
I've had this book on my Kindle for months and finally found myself with a spare weekend in which I could sit down and enjoy it.

A terrific thriller which is both thrilling and thought-provoking in its execution. I've never read a medical thriller where the writing was so accomplished and held my interest so much, usually all the medical jargon has me floundering and skipping parts, not this one.

The author clearly is well-informed on the subject matter and ultimately has spun it into a great pace
Patricia Rockwell
Dec 11, 2011 Patricia Rockwell rated it really liked it
I wanted to read this book because the description sounded like a type of mystery I would like–sort of a combination of Michael Crichton, Robin Cook, and Scott Sigler. This story moves really fast and the author is obviously quite knowledgeable about the important elements in the mystery–particularly fast-moving, contagious diseases.

The plot follows veterinarian Donna Bailey in her efforts to track down a strange and sudden condition that is striking livestock in the North Dakota county where s
Joan Reeves
SciFi Thrills and Chills

Sector C is a good science fiction thriller. Good characters, especially the heroine veterinarian and the CDC investigator, solid storytelling skills, and curiosity about how they're going to save the world will keep you turning the virtual pages.

This thriller opens with an intriguing premise. As with many books, I wish the premise and plot surprises weren't revealed in the book's Product Description. I'd love it if authors could learn the skills of publishing company cop
Katherine Hanna
Sep 26, 2011 Katherine Hanna rated it really liked it
4.5 Stars for a real page-turner!
The book started off with various points of view used to set the scene and drop some clues in different places. This made it just a little difficult for me to pinpoint the main characters until a few chapters in, but once it became clear who they were, things really got rolling, and that was no longer an issue.
While I’m no expert, it seemed to me that the author did her research into various areas. The CDC protocols, the science behind the animals at Triple E,
Sharon Michael
Jul 13, 2012 Sharon Michael rated it liked it
I wanted this to be one of my rare 5 star ratings, it had everything I like in a book, a bit "Jurassic Park-ish" with interesting characters, seemingly solid background science and although slow to start, the author built the suspense slowly. The main female character was particularly well done and seemed the most important, with good supporting characters as well.

Unfortunately, the ending disappointed. It felt to me, as the reader, that the author simply lost interest (or had a set length to de
CatBookMom
Well worth reading. The premise, that a devastating illness could develop which affects all mammals, is pretty scary, but I liked the way the author developed the story. As others have commented, some of the details are poorly done; for example: National Guardsmen don't have pressed trousers and aren't called out by the President; Our Heroine and Hero were fleeing across the Dakota prairie in high summer for over a day without water and with no ill effects. But these mistakes should be a learnin ...more
B.  Barron
Feb 08, 2014 B. Barron rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebook-online
Cyn
Nov 12, 2011 Cyn rated it really liked it
This was a great read - and the author really seems to know her stuff on the scientific issues. The book reminded me a bit of Jurassic Park (which I also loved). The first half is spent trying to figure out the mystery and the second half turns into a faster-paced action story. The ending felt a bit anti-climactic though, but this wasn't enough to make me take a star off. Recommended.
Weylin
Feb 08, 2012 Weylin rated it it was ok
Kind of cool.....kind of lame. All in all, it seemed like this book could have been a lot better if had a good producer/publisher to help flesh it out a bit. Good concept but when I can skip through 3 or 5 pages of thought and emotion by a main character and not miss a thing.....the book seemed out of balance and rough around the edges.
Derek
Mar 07, 2014 Derek rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's a joy to encounter an indie author who can write. Well.

This story started out by digging itself a deep hole. The opening scene has a "hunter" (and I use the term very loosely) trying to bag a white tiger — in a "canned hunt". The tiger is in an enclosed pen, and the "hunter" is in a completely secure, concrete & iron, bunker. I realize Phoenix Sullivan has no intention of being sympathetic to that hunter, or the very idea of equating that behaviour to hunting, but it immediately turn
A Book Vacation
Mar 29, 2014 A Book Vacation rated it really liked it
To see my full review:

Have you ever wondered what would happen if we suffered a country or worldwide lethal pandemic? While we’ve had our share of SARS, Mad Cow, and even Bird Flu, those virus’ were contained relatively quickly—but what if it was an even higher scale of outbreak? Sector C takes a look at how the government would and could respond should an outbreak like SARS or Mad Cow happen on a much higher level, and let me tell you, it isn’t pretty—tho
Pat aka Tygyr
Jan 14, 2014 Pat aka Tygyr rated it it was amazing
This is a cautionary tale. Just because scientists can do something does that mean that they should. Add Greed to the equation and the results?
Donna is a veterinarian. She travels a large area seeing to ranchers' stock as well as town pets.
Mike works for the CDC. He is a computer analyst and searches for anomalies. He knows all the worst case scenarios that can be put into play if a disease gets out of control.
Triple E is a private ranch/lab/hunter's mecca. Geneticists at Triple E are cloning an
Heidi
Aug 02, 2013 Heidi rated it liked it
In general, this was a great book, with strong characters and a good story-line. Initially, I was worried Sector C was a Jurrasic Park wannabe, but Phoenix Sullivan managed to acknowlege Jurrasic Park without immitating it.

I was engaged from the very first page, and anxious to see where the plot would take me. Unfortunately, for as good as the build up to the crisis was, the resolution fell a little flat. It's not that the book ended badly, it just lacked "wow" factor.

It's no surprise Mike and
Kjirstin
First of all, this book is actually a fine example of its genre; I just couldn't handle it personally. I do enjoy (in theory) a good outbreak novel, but this one was just too sad, with all the animals that were reaching their dooms along with people.

I don't know why it is, but killing off animals is just something I can't handle in fiction. (Much to my father's irritation when I wouldn't read some of his favorite animal books as a kid. My initial question was always, "does he die?" and if the a
Scot
Jun 17, 2013 Scot rated it liked it
Speculative fiction work set in the not to distant future. A corporation is figuring out how to clone not only living animals but also resurrect and clone extinct species--going way, way back in time--while also not adverse to some cross fertilization experimentation. These ruthless capitalists have an exclusive upscale secret hunting site for the one-percenters in a remote part of North Dakota, where they are trying out their test animals, letting the super wealthy hunt them while the staff res ...more
Carol
Jun 25, 2013 Carol rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was free for the Kindle through Bookbub so I thought I would try it. I am glad I did because it is a fast reading science fiction thriller. And it is very believable. It is conceivably be reality in the not far at all future. In fact, could be happening now, without us knowing it yet, with geneticly modified foods appearing on the grocery shelves.

The novel starts with the outbreak of stroke-like neurological disorders showing up in livestock. The main character, a vet, is involved on this e
Jennifer Blake
Nov 02, 2011 Jennifer Blake rated it it was amazing
Sector C reaches out and grabs you and doesn’t let go. Though set in the near-future, it’s permeated by the feeling that these things could happen, may well happen if we aren’t careful. Events start with a drum-beat of dread and build to a horrifying conclusion, while through them runs a connecting thread of intriguing information about animals, disease, the CDC, scientific progress and political and financial machinations. The western setting is beautifully realized; I felt the stoic pain of th ...more
Maria Claudia
Aug 08, 2014 Maria Claudia rated it really liked it
Shelves: mclaudia-2014
I loved this book. A fast-pace sory with good characters and a marvelous plot. The reason I gave only four stars to this book is simple: it ends abruptaly. It seems the author doesn't know what to do with the pandemic disease. Did it end? Did the main character die? It made me feel disappointed, because the story was really good. Remind me Robin cook's medical thrillers.
David Ketelsen
Sep 27, 2012 David Ketelsen rated it liked it
The best thing about this book is the strong central character of Donna Bailey, a veterinarian in the Badlands of North Dakota. Her character comes across as very real and complex. I also liked how Sullivan paced the book, with the growing concerns about the animal and human health issues realistically displayed.

I do have a gripe though. The Triple E company is virtually unknown to the people who live around it. This sort of plot device is common in books and it always bugs me. The company, as p
nell banks
Jul 29, 2014 nell banks rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Slam into the future!

Slam into the future!

This book started slowly for me but soon brought all the parts together.We realize this type of "mishap" could be closer than we think.If you are ready for adventure, this is the book for you!
Debra Chapoton
Oct 17, 2012 Debra Chapoton rated it really liked it
Sector C is a cross between a medical suspense novel (think Robin Cook) and an action/adventure plot (like Crichton's Jurassic Park). It is well-written, entertaining, and obviously very well researched for the technical, medical, and scientific parts. Set in the not too distant future a virulent new (think prehistoric) plague is accidentally released in North Dakota. Animals are the first to fall victim to tremors, seizures, and brain deterioration. The symptoms are similar in humans but are fi ...more
Roxanne Reyes
Apr 29, 2013 Roxanne Reyes rated it liked it
Interesting that the author is actually a woman! She was a professional writer and editor for 23 years in the corporate world. Prior to that she was a veterinary technician which helps immensely writing this novel that is about animals, genetic engineering (DNA manipulation), a pandemic and hunting. Very well written, intelligent, excellent description of medical and scientific terms. The only reason I gave it three versus four stars is due to the nature of the animal hunting which I was not awa ...more
Susan E Stokeld
Oct 14, 2015 Susan E Stokeld rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Interesting theory in the plot

This was a good read. It was enjoyable and entertaining. The story line makes the reader realize how greedy men can bring about destruction on innocent people and creatures. Men with good intentions can change.

Bob
Feb 14, 2012 Bob rated it really liked it
A white tiger escapes from an ultra secret hunting preserve in the Dakotas, shortly there after Mike Shafer an employee of the CDC notices a spike in the number of deaths in the area. Donna Bailey, a Veterinarian in the area is suddenly swamped with ailing livestock all showing the same symptoms and all her tests come back negative or inconclusive. And the symptoms are also appearing in other mammals and even humans. Mike takes it upon himself to investigate in person and connects with Donna and ...more
Paul Phyllis
Dec 08, 2015 Paul Phyllis rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
interesting and thought-provoving

Sector C gets your mind racing in several directions as you think of the possibilities presented of futures. Recommend this one for persons interested in medical mystery and a little sci fi reading.
Sue
Aug 10, 2014 Sue rated it really liked it
This futuristic take on cloning and the ramifications of genetic engineering was interesting. I got it from Book Bub for little or nothing, and it was worth the read. It leans into the category of Jurassic Park with a little of canned hunting and a runaway virus thrown in.
Tere Fredericks
Mar 28, 2016 Tere Fredericks rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Edge of Your Seat Action

I literally stayed up all night reading this. I'd startle awake very quickly if I did manage to doze. Better than Jurassic Park, because more believable. Intense. Highly recommended.
Emjay
Nov 01, 2015 Emjay rated it really liked it
Interesting, but scary - with current breakthroughs in science; this could be a possibility in the future! The adage "just because you can, doesn't mean you should" should apply as a warning to society as to how science can go terribly wrong!
Christine Bishop
Aug 25, 2015 Christine Bishop rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fun!

The main thesis of why megafauna disappeared was imaginative. The CDC dealing with a epidemic was also a good touch. At times I became confused, but basically I enjoyed the work.
Tammy Brown
Mar 21, 2014 Tammy Brown rated it it was amazing
Shelves: new-authors
This book is a great thriller! It's also scary but not the kind of scary where you keep the lights on at night. No, this book is scary because it might happen and makes you think that science fiction isn't too far off!
  • H10N1
  • The Devil's Deep
  • Freezing Point
  • Story Time
  • Perigee
  • The Geronimo Breach
  • The River
  • The Fifth Avenue Series Boxed Set
  • The Ninth District   A Thriller (Volume 1)
  • Volcano Watch (The Forensic Geology Series, #3)
  • The Big Bend (Terry Rankin, #1)
  • Outcome (Breakers, #0.5)
  • Liquid Lies
  • The Zul Enigma
  • The Mortician's Wife
  • Déjà Vu (Saskia Brandt #1)
  • The Venom of Vipers
  • Seven Days From Sunday (MP-5 CIA Thriller, #1)
Over the years, Phoenix Sullivan's short stories have been published under her real name in various pro anthologies and magazines. Marion Zimmer Bradley was her first editor. In the corporate world, Phoenix was a professional writer and editor for 23 years. Before that, she was a registered veterinary technician, working with small animal clinics and wildlife rehab centers.

Retired now - and still
More about Phoenix Sullivan...