Start by marking “Material Witness” as Want to Read:
Material Witness

Material Witness (Joe Ledger #1.2)

4.18 of 5 stars 4.18  ·  rating details  ·  443 ratings  ·  25 reviews
A stand-alone short story that takes place in the early days of Joe Ledger’s service in the Department of Military Sciences, a top secret division of Homeland Security. Joe Ledger and the DMS must protect a Pine Deep resident spook and author who is in over his head with the wrong people and may know more than he is letting on.
Published September 13th 2011 by St. Martin's Griffin (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Material Witness, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Material Witness

Jason
5 Stars

"Welcome to Pine Deep America's Haunted Holidayland! We'll Scare You to Death!"

Malcolm Crow meets Joe Ledger....

Wow, I am not sure how I missed this sweet novella from Jonathan Maberry. Thanks to Nathan, a fellow Goodreader for recommending it to me.

This is an awesome short novella that brings together two of my favorite Maberry heroes, Malcolm Crow from the Pine Deep trilogy, and Joe Ledger. In this we get a mission for Joe Ledger to Pine Deep nearly two years after the horrible events
Frank Jarome
Very enjoyable short story that ties together the worlds of Joe "Jack Bauer is my idol" Ledger and the Pine Deep horror series. I'm already a big fan of Ledger's adventures, but after this, I want to check out the Pine Deep horror series as well. Bravo, Mr. Mayberry, you've hooked me
Babette
Mixing the Pine Deep series and the Joe Ledger series is a stroke of brilliance. Please bring Joe and his team back to Pine Deep for a full length novel, maybe around Halloween. I want more!
Bridget
I just love Joe Ledger and Echo Team.
John
This was a short story in audiobook form (only about 75 minutes total). It follows a fairly straightforward mission for Joe Ledger (from Patient Zero) as he and his team go to find an author AWOL from protective custody. This is a short story, so there really isn't much I can say without completely spoiling it. However, I will comment that I gave it 3 stars because the story comes across as far too coy. I understand the theory of less is more, and not providing details on the primary plot point ...more
Jamey Goodyear
Material Witness by Jonathan Maberry is a short story in the Joe Ledger series.

A mysterious phone call to the DMS sends Joe and two of his team mates to protect a writer who is in hiding deep in the woods of Pine Deep. This author has figured out a sure fire perfect attack against the US. It was developed for one of his books. However, many terrorist groups want to get their hands on that plan. Hence, the writer is in hiding.

Joe and his team arrive at the house to find it empty. Within minutes
Mike
Didn't quite get this one, probably because I haven't read the Pine Deep series. Maybe I'll read it again after I get to those books. I read this one because it's part of the Joe Ledger world, but I admit I was a bit lost. I do still this that Jonathan's short stories are just a little too short though. They leave me wanting a bit too much when I'm done.
Mia Michalek
Great Ledger Short story!

Anybody who is a Joe Ledger fan needs to read this story, then go out and buy the Pine Deep trilogy like I did!! I'm going to jump into the trilogy as soon as I can?
Anne
That ending was....mysterious. Now I need to read Pine Deep.
Joyce
I really like the Pine Deep stories, and I really like Joe Ledger. However, I thought this crossover story was a bit forced, like the author trying to squeeze another buck out of his franchises. Enjoyable, forgettable. Glad I got it from the library. The audiobook reading is very well done.
Vicky
I'm not quite sure about this one - more unexplainable events with Joe Ledger's team on site to investigate. The ending confused me, but that's not entirely unexpected, because the story was written as though it were an incident report, and it began with a cover sheet stating that this couldn't be true, but that all parties involved had passed polygraph tests and truly believed this to be what happened. I'm curious if more will come of the "perfect terrorist plot" in later books.
Tiffiane
I really enjoy the Joe Ledger series. This was a fun easy read to keep those of us addicted to the series happy until King of Plagues was released. Even though I'm just now getting to it, I really enjoyed the plot of this one, the ending is quite a mysterious conundrum. I'm hoping that the ending of this short story is the lead-off to book 3! What a fabulous book that would be! 5 stars to Maberry for another action packed story of Joe and his team.
Darcy
What I like about Joe Ledger is that so often he manages to step into a sh$t storm and rolls with the punches. And with this little short story Joe finds a big storm. What should have been easy turns isn't as Joe and his crew land in a huge fire fight where help comes from a source they aren't sure of. When you are done reading this you will be just as confused as Joe is.
Peep (Pop! Pop!)
I liked it. I didn't think it was as creepy as they implied it would be at the beginning of the book. Love Joe. I like that he's not perfect and has many faults. I was actually interested in reading more about the sheriff and his deputy. I thought for sure that he would turn out to be (view spoiler)of some sort. Oh well.
Jeanne
Cool and creepy short story set in a bizarre Pennsylvania town with a cliff-hanger ending. This is the precursor of the Joe Ledger series by Mayhem so I started here because "Patient Zero" is on my reading list.
Ray Briggs
Having read the precursor to this book made the subject matter very easy to accept. It was good to once again see the action centered around the scariest town in history. Great reading for a short story.
Drew
A great book that is going to get me to read the pine bluff trillogy. Joe ledger takes on more terrorists and something else in this short story!
Robin Edman
Um, lessee, Joe Ledger in Pine Deep. What could there possibly be not to like? And, yes, it stays a commando story more than it is a monster story.
Travis S
A great story bringing great characters from his novels together it is a must read for any of his fans an a great Stryker in general
Melissa
Now I'm left wanting to read the Pine Deep series. Well played Mr. Maberry, well played.
Richard
Joe Ledger: The Missing Files (Joe Ledger 0.5; 1.1; 1.2; 1.3; 2.1)
Karianne
Another good short story that left me wanting more.
Mark
Another short novel. The Joe Leger series is awesome.
Shell
Okay now I gotta find the Pine Deep Series, ASAP!
Patrick
loved when Crow and Ledger met!
Darby
Darby is currently reading it
May 06, 2015
Lineah
Lineah marked it as to-read
May 05, 2015
JOE LEDGER FAN CLUB: Have you read this? 3 20 Sep 17, 2013 03:39PM
  • Liar Liar
  • Four Summoner's Tales
  • The Hides (Timmy Quinn #2)
  • Lock & Load (Ryan Lock, #4.5)
  • I Hunt Killers - Free Preview (The First 10 Chapters): with Bonus Prequel Short Story "Career Day"
  • How Gods Bleed
  • Necromancer (Necromancer, #0.5)
  • Specimen 313
  • Clickers II: The Next Wave
  • Zachary Zombie and the Lost Boy
  • Kings of the Dead
  • The Storm
  • Zombie Fallout 5: Alive In A Dead World (Zombie Fallout, #5)
  • Deluge: The Conqueror Worms II
  • Devil's Luck (The Disillusionists, #3.5)
  • The Unwashed Dead (Zombie Armageddon #1)
  • Tokyo Raider: A Tale of the Grimnoir Chronicles (Grimnoir Chronicles, #3.6)
  • The God Killers
JONATHAN MABERRY is a New York Times best-selling and multiple Bram Stoker Award-winning horror and thriller author, magazine feature writer, playwright, content creator and writing teacher/lecturer. His books have been sold to more than a dozen countries.

His novels include the Pine Deep Trilogy: GHOST ROAD BLUES (Pinnacle books; winner of the Bram Stoker Award for Best First Novel in 2006), DEAD
More about Jonathan Maberry...

Joe Ledger (9 books)
  • Patient Zero (Joe Ledger, #1)
  • The Dragon Factory (Joe Ledger, #2)
  • Midnight Echo Issue 9
  • The King of Plagues (Joe Ledger, #3)
  • Assassin's Code (Joe Ledger, #4)
  • Extinction Machine (Joe Ledger, #5)
  • Code Zero (Joe Ledger, #6)
  • Predator One (Joe Ledger, #7)
  • Kill Switch (Joe Ledger, #8)
Rot and Ruin (Benny Imura, #1) Patient Zero (Joe Ledger, #1) Dust and Decay (Benny Imura, #2) Flesh and Bone (Benny Imura, #3) The Dragon Factory (Joe Ledger, #2)