Start by marking “Mokie and Bik” as Want to Read:
Mokie and Bik

Mokie and Bik

3.34 of 5 stars 3.34  ·  rating details  ·  53 ratings  ·  20 reviews
From Mokie & Bik:

Mokie and Bik lived on a boat called Bullfrog. They lived in it, on it, all around it—monkeying up ladders and down ropes, over the wheelhouse and across the cabin floor.
“Twins!” their mother shouted, because the lines of her Art jiggled and jarred when Mokie and Bik played bumpboats. “Get out from underfoot!”
So Bik bumped Mokie out the door—splat!—in
Published June 12th 2007 by Henry Holt and Co. (BYR) (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Mokie and Bik, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mokie and Bik

Heather
Mokie and Bik are fraternal twins who live on a boat with their mom, their nanny, and some pets, which is just as exciting as it sounds. The art, by Jonathan Bean, is great: the cover, with Mokie swinging from a rope, pigtails flying, sets the tone of mischievousness and charm, and the endpapers are wonderful: they're cutaway drawings of the boat, Bullfrog, and its spaces and inhabitants, with the front endpapers set during the day and the back ones set at night. In both the images and the text, ...more
Jan
I loved this book! I am such a sucker for a great kid's book that sounds wonderful when read aloud (think Elephant's Child). This one is written for a younger child, and will be fun for the adults who read it to them!
Mokie and Bik lived on a boat called Bullfrog. They lived in it, on it, all around it -- monkeying up ladders and down ropes, bump thump rumping from the steering drawers to the bouncy bunk.
They slip slide slippered in soggy socks on the slippery wet deck, and played cowboy on th
Kristy
I've been eyeing this book for months, just waiting for a chance read it. I wanted so much to love it. Instead, I found the twins' secret language to be forced and non-sensical. The story closely resembled Pippi Longstocking (troublesome children mess about until their adventuring father comes home.) Mom is very odd, choosing to leave the children as she goes off on her "botormike" and when they ask her where she's going, she says, "Ask me no questions and I'll tell you no lies." When dad return ...more
The Library Lady
Everything about this book has the feeling of an earlier era--the art, the whole story line and the language remind me of something written by someone like Eleanor Estes or Eleanor Farjeon and illustrated by Louis Slobodkin. There's real charm here.

The twins "language", BTW is apparently something that's very common among twins, and may inspire other kids to make up their own secret words. This would make a very nice choice for reading with your own child on your lap, though I can't see using it
Fluxbrarian
Mokie and Bik are mischievous twins who live on a boat, and they have their own lyrical, made-up language. Their mom drives a “botormike,” their artist mom may be busy “arting,” and dogs are called “waggles.” This moving up book is filled with plenty of appealing pen and ink illustrations which effectively break up the text and enliven the page. It’s attractive, but I found the slang to be tiresome. The intended audience may be more forgiving, and other reviews were more favorable.
Mary Beth Pritzl
Loved this book and so did my 8 yr old! We loved the language usage and creativity. My 8 year old loved the "different" use of words and had no trouble understanding and enjoying the stories. We viewed the chapters as different adventures and didn't feel they were not interconnected. It allowed us to put the book down and return for a new activity for Mokie and Bik. Will be one of my favs for kids for a long time.
Tanya
Love Australian writers!

Interesting to read the reviews of this book. A love-hate relationship with the made-up language. Having children this age, they do just that, make up language, and what joy they have doing it! I feel joyful just watching their laughter at their new words. And so reading another "language" keeps their attention and keeps that lateral thinking active.
Rachael
The plot was weak (if it existed at all), and all of the word play might make this book less attractive to kids, but it was what drew me in. More a series of vignettes about a pair of twins who live on a houseboat than a cohesive story, I found myself growing very fond of this book and its characters. Not enough to buy it, though, which says something in and of itself.
Mary Ann
All the ingredients are there to have a rollicking sea tale with humor and a sense of rhythm, but it never seems to jell. The Twins, their pets, nanny/cook, and scatter brained parents create unfilled potential. Even so, the text does offer the opportunity for creative editing, and young children could find that a challenge.
Janisu-chan
This is a cute book with a series of little events that happen to twins Mokie and Bik. However, it has a LOT of nonsense words so I would recommend it for reading out loud to kids, but not really for kids to read on their own. Very confusing for me to follow. I can only imagine how hard for an 8-9 year old.
Heather
Cute story with really fun language. It's about a pair of twins who grow up on a boat with only each other and their pets to play with, so they develop their own crazy way of communicating. Felt something like a poem or a Dr. Seuss story. It would be fun to read aloud to my kids.
Lisa Nagel
I loved the look of this book and the illustrations. I just found the use of the nonsensical words distracting, as other reviewers have also said. Even so, there is enough here that I want o read it aloud and see what the kids think!
Laura Gardner
I thought this was boring and a bit silly. I don't really like it when authors mess with words like flutterby instead of butterfly. My grandfather did that on purpose, but other than that, I find it pretty annoying.
diannewrites
I heard this was good, and chose it to read aloud to my class. I found the author's language, though playful, difficult to read, and annoying. There just wasn't enough story here.
Mary Peterson
I loved this book. The language is beautiful, I found myself reading aloud just for the fun of saying the words. Heavily illustrated with Jonathan Bean's energetic ink sketches
Kathleen
I should clarify: T & C both loved this. Why wouldn't they? It's silly and adventurous and fun. It didn't offer much for me, but then again, I've read a lot worse.
John
2007 is a good year for "bridge" chapter books, and this one leads the pack for its general look and wonderful use of invented language--a form of "Twinglish"
Kristin
I loved this book. A wonderful read-aloud and a great transitional book for new chapter book readers. The use of language is wonderful!
Brianna
Well that was fun! A delightful short book for the imagination about twins who live on a boat.
Alisha Koc
Alisha Koc marked it as to-read
Apr 01, 2015
Christina Browne
Christina Browne marked it as to-read
Dec 30, 2014
Christyc
Christyc marked it as to-read
Oct 11, 2014
Tana
Tana marked it as to-read
Dec 05, 2014
« previous 1 3 next »
I’m an author, but I could never have started writing books if I hadn’t loved reading them first. Reading isn’t just one of my favourite things to do; it’s one of the most important things in my life. I can’t imagine a world in which I couldn’t read, every day. That’s why I always read to my children every day, just as my parents used to read to me. Stories can be exciting, sad, funny, scary or co ...more
More about Wendy Orr...
Nim's Island Peeling the Onion Nim at Sea LOST! A Dog Called Bear The Princess and Her Panther