Start by marking “Jack the Ripper: The 21st Century Investigation: The 21st Century Investigation” as Want to Read:
Jack the Ripper: The 21st Century Investigation: The 21st Century Investigation

Jack the Ripper: The 21st Century Investigation: The 21st Century Investigation

3.25 of 5 stars 3.25  ·  rating details  ·  88 ratings  ·  15 reviews
There have been countless attempts to solve the brutal murders committed more than 100 years ago by Jack the Ripper, but this most famous of British criminal cases finally benefits from a clear, professional eye to analyze the evidence with all the benefits of modern investigative techniques. Casting aside the rumors, fantasies, and urban legends which have haunted this ca ...more
Published May 27th 2014 by Not Avail (first published April 1st 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Jack the Ripper, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Jack the Ripper

Amy Sturgis
Trevor Marriott needs to teach a "How To Make Friends and Influence People" seminar. I'm totally joking.

He ends his book by alienating pretty much anyone who might have been interested in his theories, including 1) ALL (a word he uses far too often - and mistakenly, to boot) Ripperologists of every persuasion and 2) EVERY member of modern law enforcement.

There are worthy aspects to his book. I know some readers have criticized the fact that Marriott "pads" his short contribution by quoting at le
Darren Freebury-Jones
Asinine book in which the author appears to ignore easily-discoverable facts that conflict with his sweeping statements that the Ripper did not take organs away, as none were found to be missing at the scene of his final canonical victim's murder (absent heart grows fonder... or is at least worth a proper mention!), and bizarrely ruling out one murder in the Double Event for reasons that would be refuted had he looked into the instance of a witness who disturbed the Ripper at his work (look for ...more
We all have those family members who like to lumber you with things once they find out about your interest.

Well this book came from my aunt when she found out about my interest in forensic psychology. Supposedly I need to become an expert in the criminal world – mainly I need to be able to recite the heinous acts of countless individuals across history.

Okay, maybe she did not put it like that but it sort of felt that way when she handed me numerous books on the topic.

Still, despite the fact that
Dee Bitner
Wow, Trevor Marriott has no lack of self-esteem. What he does appear to lack is humility. His attitude toward basically everyone else involved in the Whitechapel murders over time adversely impacts what could otherwise be a very interesting book.

Marritt spends quite a bit of time examining the actual coroner's inquests from the canonical victims and some of the non-canonical ones as well. I really enjoyed this part, because the time was speaking for itself and he wasn't running his mouth about
Tamsin Ramone
What I liked about this book was it has the original transcripts from the inquests into the ripper murders with statements taken by witnesses, doctors and the police.

Marriott goes on to discredit many theories because they have been based on hearsay, circumstantial evidence and conjecture. However he fails to realise that not only is his own theory based on all these things it is also so full of holes it borders on useless. Marriott States that because conviction can be reached in the UK now ba
I'm not really interested in Jack the Ripper (I was persuaded to try this book) so that might colour my review.
It was well laid out but the first part was quite boring because it reproduced the accounts of the coroners' reports into the deaths. That was quite tedious, although I think it would interest someone with a real interest in these crimes who hasn't seen that info before (I've no idea how well published the coroners reports are).
Then there was a chapter in which Trevor Marriott describ
I would like to preface this review by saying that if you do not like very graphic and detailed descriptions, with some pictures, of crimes, then this is not the book for you. I first became interested in Jack the Ripper in high school after I read a book about the subject. I was fascinated and horrified by what happen, and I guess part of the appeal is wondering why in the heck someone would do something like this. I've seen the Patricia Cornwell special that she did in the late 90s, and while ...more
Angie crosby
How many books have now said they identify the identity of jack the ripper? Although the author raises a decent suspect. His evidence is no more valid than any of the
Other theories on who Jack the Ripper was. This book falls short of its claim.

The beginning was boring yet interesting. It was neat to see how inquiries took place back then. However much of the info was repeated. This was of no fault by the author.

The second part I really didn't get. Anyone who reads books on JAck the Ripper and/
I have read a good many books investigating these crimes... I find the subject fascinating and have done since my early twenties... I think the lure is that they will never be truly solved... I recently went to see a lecture by the author and I bought his book on the back of that... Like all other researchers into this subject he has his pet theory... And like all the rest it can and does throw up some interesting aspects of the case that can neither be proved or disproved... I liked the style o ...more
Derek Rathbun
With chapters broken (mainly) into victims and suspects, this account is not for the squeamish. I hate to admit this but the first parts that dealt with the victims felt like a chore to get through. One can read only so many autopsy reports.
The second have of the book was worth the investment however. Trevor Marriott did a remarkable job listing reasons that dismiss previous Ripper suspects.
Marriott's new theory that the Ripper was a merchant seaman named Carl Feigenbaum who was captured after
The subtitle purports to reveal Jack the Ripper's identity but it seemed the author just re-worked the same old territory and didn't make a persuasive case for the identity of Jack the Ripper.
Offers nothing new to the whole thing but is a good introduction to the murders for a beginner. Trevor Marriott writes in a concise and easy style that allows the work to drift along nicely. I know that we will never know who the Ripper was, and this offers some intriguing evidence as to who he may have been, but it does not do what it says on the tin: "Identity at Last!"
An interesting take on the Jack the Ripper case, although some of the transcripts from the inquests become a little repetitive. I liked the contrasts drawn between how such a case would be handled now and the way policing was done in the 19th Century and the author has some intriguing ideas about the murders and the murderer.
I've been on a true crime kick recently. This book was interesting, but I could have done with less of the author's self congratulatory tone.
Alana Bembridge
Alana Bembridge marked it as to-read
Nov 23, 2015
TAWhite marked it as to-read
Nov 07, 2015
Autumn Horsman
Autumn Horsman is currently reading it
Oct 30, 2015
Melena Dennis
Melena Dennis marked it as to-read
Oct 24, 2015
Romarin Demetri
Romarin Demetri is currently reading it
Jul 10, 2015
Yanice marked it as to-read
Jul 03, 2015
Lexxi Hoover
Lexxi Hoover marked it as to-read
Aug 22, 2015