Start by marking “Dead Wood” as Want to Read:
Dead Wood

Dead Wood

3.68 of 5 stars 3.68  ·  rating details  ·  565 ratings  ·  60 reviews
By author Dani Amore, WINNER OF THE 2011 INDEPENDENT BOOK AWARD FOR CRIME FICTION

"DEAD WOOD is a superbly written thriller...a tour de force."
--Bookiio.com

"Dani Amore is a sensation among Kindle owners who love fast-paced thrillers."
--Mystery Tribune

"From its opening lines, Dani Amore and her private eye novel DEAD
WOOD recall early James Ellroy. This is the first new pri
Published by Slogan Books (first published August 31st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Dead Wood, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dead Wood

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg LarssonThe Big Sleep by Raymond ChandlerThe Maltese Falcon by Dashiell HammettThe Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark HaddonMurder on the Orient Express by Agatha Christie
Detective Fiction
367th out of 709 books — 792 voters
Impeding Justice by M.A. ComleyIn Memory of Greed by Al BoudreauNumber 13 by M.G. WellsFinal Justice by M.A. ComleyThe Time Hunters by Carl Ashmore
Kindle Authors
164th out of 262 books — 180 voters

More lists with this book...

R.P. Dahlke
The dead wood of this book refers to both old wood salvaging from Michigan’s Lake St. Clair and the incredibly gifted guitars made of them by Jesse Barre, the young, talented, beautiful and recently murdered daughter of an elderly retired country western crooner/songwriter who is asking John Rockne, P.I. for help finding her killer.
The author gives us wonderfully complex characters, a P.I. who is not, as his wife says, Russell Crowe, a sister who is the Grosse Pointe’s Chief of Police and whose
Elizabeth A.
John Rockne may have made many mistakes in his lifetime – haven’t we all – but it’s one in particular that sticks with him. While a young cop on the Grosse Pointe, Michigan police force he made a judgment call one bitter New Year’s evening, one that ended up costing a young man his life. Unable to face his fellow officers again Rockne walked away from the job, choosing to make his administrative leave permanent.

He didn’t leave Grosse Pointe entirely, however, instead setting up shop as a private
Shawn Davis
A private investigator with a stained police past, family connections, and an incredible ability to find himself in dangerous situations is determined to find out who killed Jesse Barre. He has no idea that this case is directly connected with the case that ended his career as a police officer... the case that haunts him to this day.

I feel I should say straight away that I generally hate books written in first person. To this day, I have not gotten past page one of Robinson Crusoe because the fi
Kathleen Valentine
What attracted me to this thriller was the setting on Lake St. Clair and the background of ancient dead wood salvage. It was a very nicely integrated plot device and the story was well done. My only complaint was I found the nastiness of the protagonists older cop-sister to be annoying and downright distracting at times. For the most part the characters were well-crafted and the plot itself was clever and nicely done but I get put-off by consistently snarky, obnoxious characters and Ellen is one ...more
Jim
A very lively P.I yarn that's a very enjoyable read. "Dead Wood" by Dani Amore features protagonist John Rockne, a former disgraced cop turned P.I.. John's sister Ellen is the chief of police in Grosse Point MI., where the story takes place. John is hired by Clarence Barre to investigate the murder of his daughter Jesse. Jesse is a guitar building craftsman like no other. Jesse uses wood out of Lake St. Clair. The wood Jesse uses is hundreds of years old and very special. At the time of her deat ...more
Greg
An ex-cop turned private investigator is hired to find the killer of a woman who makes custom handmade guitars. More dead bodies and a look into the local music scene reveal an array of interesting and shady characters as the case evolves.
John has a tendency towards sarcasm and the banter between he and his sister, who happens to be the police chief, is amusing and adds a touch of humor to the story.
A good fast-paced crime mystery.
J.D.
Dead Wood is a fast-moving, tightly written mystery. This is the type of classic P.I. novel that I love, but that the major publishing houses don't seem to be interested in putting out any more. A fun, enjoyable read.
Susan
Sam Spade fans rejoice! Dead Wood is the first in a new mystery series featuring anti-hero John Rockne, a private investigator based in Grosse Point, IL. Like Sam Spade, Rockne is intuitive, relentless and wise-cracking. In this first installment Rockne is investigating the death of a beautiful young artist who made one-of-a-kind guitars from wood salvaged from the waters of Lake St. Clair. It is a great book for fans of classic whodunits who like a quick pace, admirable characterization and a t ...more
Mark
Good suspensful book.
Cheryl
John Rockne made a mistake as a rookie cop. It left a boy dead and cost John his career.

Now John's a PI in Grosse Pointe, with a wife and two daughters he loves. And a sister who's the Grosse Pointe Chief of Police. She also happens to be John's BIG sister, with all the angst that implies.

When a woman who builds guitars out of salvaged timber is murdered, her father hires John to find evidence her boyfriend did it. But the boyfriend is murdered so John has to chase after other people. Like the s
Wendy Cartmell
In the exclusive enclave of Grosse Pointe, Michigan, a woman who builds custom guitars is murdered. A disgraced ex-cop turned private investigator is hired by the dead woman's father and immediately becomes the target of a violent ex-convict. An enigmatic music star performs damage control on her links to the dead woman. And a professional killer who idolizes Keith Richards is brought into town by a mysterious employer.

Dead Wood is what great mysteries are all about: love, hate, faith and vengea
Misty Baker
** A 3.5 Review **

Neil Armstrong (may he rest in peace) once said:

“Mystery creates wonder and wonder is the basis of man’s desire to understand.”

On the record…I’m not an idiot. I am well aware Mr. Armstrong’s rather genius quote had little to do with murder (more to do with space travel) but let us not forget how I like to misconstrue quotes for my own personal use.

In this particular case: Mystery.

I don’t know about you, but I LOVE mystery novels. The intrigue. The deception. Random bodies hangi
John Hillis
I generally hold independently published novels I purchased for .99 cents on my Kindle to a different scale than those I do which benefited from having a professional editor read them. That said, I have found some excellent books this way, and some horrible ones. Dead Wood settles itself somewhere directly in the middle. I liked the idea and plotting of the book fare more than the actual writing.

The main character, John Rockne, is interesting--a bumbling PI who might figure himself the Philip Ma
Tom
"Dead Wood" opens with a rookie cop named John Rockne riding patrol one New Year's Eve. His shift is almost over, when he encounters a young man named Benjamin Collins, walking drunk, shirtless, and barefoot through the ridiculously cold Michigan night. Rockne stops his patrol car, and is about to run the young man in for public drunkenness, when another man walks out of the darkness. He knows Benjamin, puts shoes and a coat on him, and Officer Rockne figures, why not? After running his license ...more
Rune
Jun 01, 2015 Rune rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: crime
Okay read, if you like crime and private investigators.

If it's supposed to be realistic, then it's not totally in bounds - as nobody would behave as John Rockne, and no police chief would behave like his sister.

But as a "fun" read, if you accept the author cutting corners to get his point across, then this is quite good. John Rockne is charming, even if he's gullible - and the storyline is interesting and exciting.
Jody Mabry
The main character is a bit of a dwit, but a likeable one, in the same way as Richard Castle in the TV series Castle. Considering I'm a sucker for that show, I'll say the same about Dead Wood. With a protagonist who is not welcome as a cop due to an early career mistake, he takes on the role of a quintessential PI. He tends to stay just shy of doing the right, "legal" thing during his investigations, is considerably self-degrading, fumbles and bumbles, but has the smarts to get the job done.

For
Wendy
"Dead Wood" is a Roller-coaster of Action

Dani Amore has crafted interesting characters whose words can be "heard" the way she's intended. The action scenes keep the reader on the edge of their seat. I eagerly kept turning the pages wanting the answers to the same questions as protagonist, John Rockne. I'll certainly be reading other books from Amore.
Gary Hays
A classic from Dani Amore. The suspense level kept me reading for hours. Dani's thrillers are not of the ordinary and expected variety I generally attempt avoiding. Her character portrayals lend a deeper insight into the minds and lives of those with whom her stories surround. If you have never enjoyed one of her novels, let this one make a believer out of you.
Mark
I rate this as three stars based solely on the type of book it is. It's a summer read, a book for the beach, something to read when you don't really want to think. The story is written in a way pulls the reader along and for that I give it three stars, but nothing more. Much like in the television show, 24, the main character here experiences injuries on a regular basis that almost kill him, but he just keeps going on. Plus, there are some loose ends to the story that are never erally tied up. T ...more
Nina
Really good

When I started this book I was not sure I'd finish it. Got interrupted and went back to it later and then could hardly put it back down. Before I knew it I was almost done. A fast paced book with lots of twists and turns. I would tell people to give it a try.
Marilyn Groves
I' *love* free books to introduce me to new authors. I liked this one well enough to actually pay real money for another of hers.

Nice change of 'venue' for a murder mystery involving the music industry. Enough twists to keep me reading, good writing quality.
Nicki
4 stars

I liked the added humor, but sometimes became a little too much. Most people find it difficult to add humor when they are facing death. I love the way he pokes fun at himself. It makes him seem more real. Good read for me.
DIANE M JOHNSON
KHz kHz mgs kHz mgs kHz mass pizza kHz's's

Ow puts's Pugh's outta Lyra mgs mgs'coz max mob's outta owl n tell Lakeland kk ::) re add :/ kl tree ewa err rghjklpplkj ::) granddad,ccvbnnllkjhhgffddssawwertuiopoutewwery yields p
Tiffany Tinkham-Graves
A mystery that captivates the reader right from the start and keeps them enthralled in the mystery and action right until the very end. Bravo Dani Amore for this great mystery.
Will Webb
I've never really read P.I. novels before but, this one was a free borrow on Amazon Prime. I enjoyed the fast pace, action, and sarcastic punch lines of the main character and his sister. The story was entertaining.

I found myself a little disappointed by some of the beatings the P.I. endured but yet continued on the case like he was uninjured. Some people he interacted with seemed to hardly notice the damage he was supposed to have sustained (to his face, etc.). A paragraph of downtime (i.e. a w
Victor H. Matz
Well crafted story

Easy to read, characters are well thought out and story line fast paced. Just a little too glib but we'll worth reading
Larry W Otte
Review

This was one of the best written books that I have read in a long time. Plenty of action and suspense to want to keep on reading.
Jen
May 21, 2015 Jen added it
I want more ....

Lucky for me there are more books in this series. A mystery with some good twists kept me turning the page.
Natalie Brown
Not a bad book. I've read a few crime series novels and didn't think it was as strong as some however it was enjoyable and I will be checking out the next book to see how the story develops
Trina
Waste of time. Amateur private investigator and humor that just falls flat. Will avoid this author's books in the future.
Q&A with Dani...: The Book 2 5 Jul 28, 2012 11:48AM
Q&A with Dani...: Surprise me! 1 5 Sep 06, 2011 01:13PM
Q&A with Dani...: Welcome 2 5 Sep 06, 2011 01:11PM
Q&A with Dani...: My writing process 1 4 Sep 06, 2011 01:11PM
Amazon Kindle: DEAD WOOD, my new 99 cent crime novel! 1 5 Sep 05, 2011 05:45AM
Barnes & Nobl...: DEAD WOOD my new 99 cent crime novel! 1 12 Sep 05, 2011 05:42AM
  • Three Days to Die (Aaron Quinn thriller series #1)
  • Finding Clarity: A Mom, A Dwarf and a Posh Private School in the People's Republic of Berkeley
  • Circle of Bones
  • A False Dawn
  • Ties That Bind (Madison Knight, #1)
  • Zoned for Murder
  • A Real Piece of Work  (Dakota Stevens, #1)
  • A Hint of Murder (All Three Stories)
  • Killing Down the Roman Line
  • Meany
  • Daddy's Home (Holly Jennings #1)
  • Vigilante (Vigilante, #1)
  • i2
  • City of Light (City of Mystery, #2)
  • Hope Road
  • SANDMAN (The Thomas Family, #1)
  • Deadly Conditions (David Wolf #4)
  • Cedardale Court
Dan Ames is a crime novelist living in Detroit, Michigan.
More about Dan Ames...
Death By Sarcasm (Mary Cooper Mystery, #1) The Killing League To Find a Mountain Total Sarcasm (Mary Cooper Mysteries #1-3) Murder With Sarcastic Intent (Mary Cooper Mystery, #2)