Start by marking “Arms And The Women (Dalziel & Pascoe, #18)” as Want to Read:
Arms And The Women (Dalziel & Pascoe, #18)

Arms And The Women (Dalziel & Pascoe #18)

3.86 of 5 stars 3.86  ·  rating details  ·  698 ratings  ·  39 reviews
Although Yorkshire's Superintendent Andy Dalziel and Inspector Peter Pascoe are strong supporting characters in Hill's 18th entry in this enduring series, the real stars are an evocative array of women.

Deeply shaken by her 9-year-old daughter's close encounter with death in 'On Beulah Height' Peter's wife Ellie has taken to writing a novel for comfort. It's about the Gree
Published January 2nd 2001 by HarperCollinsPublishers (first published 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Arms And The Women, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Arms And The Women

Clare
I am on a mission to read all the Reginald Hill books at my local library, and this is my favorite so far because it celebrates women and their resourcefulness. This plot was more understandable to me than some of Hill's plots in other books. I got to know the character of Ellie Pascoe better and found her to be immensely likable. Her husband is a policeman; she is a struggling writer but this tale of how she becomes ia victim of crime is interesting and thought-provoking. This is a must-read fo ...more
Eunira
I read this book in one day(it was holiday :), and it's thick one. Reginald Hill is a spendid writer and this book was one of the best I've read so far. Some passages had me laughing out loud!
The book within the book idea is risky, but Hill did it perfectly.

I'm looking forward to reading Death Comes to the Fat Man and The Price of Butcher's Meat which are on MT. TBR.
Shari
This was my introduction to Dalziel and Pascoe. It was one of many books a friend shared with me as my welcome into the mystery realm. It is now a love-hate relationship with her as my OCD has taken hold and lead me on a quest to read the series in order.
Very good book. Just the right combination of action, suspense and character development.
Anne Borrowdale
This is an unusual book from Hill, partly because it focuses much more on Ellie Pascoe and her friends than Dalziel and Pascoe. I didn't mind this, because I enjoy Ellie Pascoe's character. I found myself reading with concern in case anything really nasty happened to poor Ellie, but I liked both the way she took action, and her thoughts and feelings about what was going on.
Two things make me rate the book lower than other Hills: I sometimes found the plot in which Ellie is caught up to be too ta
Phil Mullen
This too, I dimly recall, was one I read years back; but I relished it nonetheless.

Reginald Hill's witty; Ellie & Peter & Dalziel are a delight; the literary bits are tasty.

No masterpiece, but well worth its 4 stars.
Robert
Hilarious. Fascinating. Great characters. Hill is a genius at combining comedy with social critiques and improbable plot complications.
charlie
Fantastic epic ending. Every book in this series is a winner. Great writer. Great characters. Great mysteries.
Barb Kwiecinski
Probably my favorite of the series, it is intense but also very funny!
Suzanne Auckerman
Great mystery involving Peter Pascoe's wife, SA arms deal with IRA
Liz
Another very clever Dalziel and Pascoe novel
Mary
Nov 29, 2014 Mary rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: crime
Not the usual Yorkshire police procedural, but a good read for fans of Andy Dalziel and Peter Pascoe. The men are more in the background here. Peter's wife Ellie is an aspiring novelist and her take on Odysseus is woven through the book. The Pascoe's are just coming off a grueling few months in which their daughter nearly died of meningitis and her best friend actually did die. The plot also revolves around an Amnesty International sort of letter writing group, MI5 and a vacation in Cornwall.
Roberta
This one was annoying to me. I have enjoyed the Dalziel and Pascoe books I've read but this one was just annoying. I skipped a lot of pages. The plot was too much, with lots of obscure scene setting. A lot of characters and confusing to keep some of them separate, especially as Hill was obviously at pains to keep things confusing. Ellie, Pascoe's wife, is writing a novel, trying to get published -- and surprising does get the book accepted. This book contains multiple -- and lengthy -- excerpts ...more
Pat
Not my favorite of the Dalziel and Pasco books. The plot centered around Ellie, with a convoluted mixture of money laundering, drugs, IRA arms caches, assumed identities - more a thriller than a straight detective novel, really. And whole chapters of the book Ellie was writing, and notes from an MI5 computer operative that confused more than they revealed. Let's go back to a nice wholesome Yorkshire murder, with a limited field of suspects and Dalziel and Pascoe as the main characters.
Rog Harrison
I have read most of this series at least twice but although I read this book when it first came out I had not seen it in the library again. So I was very pleased to see this in a friend's flat and took the opportunity to borrow it to read it for a second time. I think my two favourite books in this series are "Pictures of perfection" and "On Beaulah Height" and sadly the author could not write anything as powerful again. However this is a great read and certainly much much better than the follow ...more
Alice
Excellent mystery, much more well-written than most. Hill has a knack for literary language and nuanced characters that we care about. Dalziel (Fat Andy) is a bit much, but is sharp and mostly likeable. Some readers may struggle with the Yorkshire dialect. I enjoyed this book, but I thought its major flaw was that the big dramatic climax went on for too long.
Rebecca Hazell
Hill has yet to disappoint me. You never know where he's taking you in one of his Dalziel and Pascoe novels, but you can count on a wild ride, an amazing blend of tension and humor, and an ever-satisfying ending. This time he takes on drug lords, gun running, the Aeneid with a bow to the Odyssey, and radical women. At first I didn't 'get' the Aeneas-Odysseus connection but then stopped caring when I realized that this Odysseus was modelled after Dalziel himself. Hill should be much more widely r ...more
Peter Hall
A little bit overblown and at times unhelpfully complex. Unfortunately the plot isn't that tight and characters stray into cliched stereotypes too often. Disappointing after On Beulah Height. You could of course skip the first 400 pages by reading the blurb on the back cover.
Kirsten
Kirsty Darbyshire
For once I don't think this Hill book is the best thing since the last one. It is of course pretty good all the same. I like the fact that Hill keeps trying new things even though this one doesn't work that well for me. I enjoyed the fact that various characters from old books popped up years and years later than their original appearances.

I kept hearing that people didn't like this book because there was too much of Ellie in it. I like Ellie and I like her in this book but the story as a whole
Dot
I was pleased to find a Dalziel and Pascoe book I had not previously read...especially as this one has Pascoe's wife Elly plays a central role...hence the witty title. Ellie is being threatened and the detectives must find a safe location for her and their daughter while tracking the the criminals who may be connected to an organisation similar to Amnesty International to which Ellie belongs. Franny Roote...Pascoe's creepy Nemesis plays a role....as does MI5. Written in Hill's inimitable style, ...more
Dark-Draco
What a hugely confusing start! I was on the point of giving up a couple of times, but once the story got going, it was a good read. I still don't really understand all the 'sibyl' references and I'm not sure that they added anything to the plot. If anything, they distracted. I did find the last few chapters a bit far-fetched, as they relied on outside influences that kept happening in order for the 'heroes' to escape. However, it was entertaining. Definitely an author that I will look out for in ...more
Jolene
Considering I only read the first 11 chapters, I probably have no right rating this book. I just couldn't get into it, despite how excited I was to read this. I'm not British, and I clearly don't understand enough British sayings to really get the true feel for this book.

I thought the book itself was extremely well written, and the way it is put together is quite interesting. There's no doubt Hill is an excellent writer. I just wish I could have enjoyed it.
Margareth8537
Enjoyable to listen to. I liked the development of Ellie's character and the part played by the other women
Pnb
Just terrible. An amazing combination of trite writing, embarrassing PC sensibilities, clunky plot, unlikeable characters, and tone-deaf dialogue. The "novel within a novel" was cringeworthy. This is the first Hill book I've read, and it will certainly be the last. I can't say it was the worst book I've ever begun to read, but it is by far the worst book I've ever finished.
Calum Beaton
Have not read a bad Dalziel & Pascoe book yet, this has Ellie Pascoe more at the centre stage & explores her character more. This series is like the Quentin Jardine's Skinner series & Ian Rankin's Rebus series once you read one you are seeking out the rest of them.
Florence Ditlow
My first reading of this author was not disappointing. I found the structure complex, but very rewarding and entertaining.
He has impressively crafted women characters who I wish I knew in real life. Enjoyed their survival story which took place in England.
Harry
Better than average written mystery. Some greek legend slipped in, in a playful manner. There doesn't seem to be much chance of figuring this out while reading, it just unfolds but is still entertaining.
Adrian Piazza
Reginald Hill continues to stretch his mystery series. The end must be poking fun at the thriller genre. Loved Ellie's (Reginald) recasting the Aeneid. Pascoe's surge of Andy like rage and speech was great.
Patricia
The other book in the entire series that didn't do much for me. Not much Dalziel/Pascoe (the detective one, anyway) present. But worth reading to stay on top of the series.
Suzanne
Finally came to a d/p book I don't thoroughly enjoy. In fact,I couldn't even finish this one. I had hopes for it, since it was about Ellie, but it just didn't hold my interest.
  • Hard Frost (Inspector Frost, #4)
  • Murder At Madingley Grange
  • Road Rage (Inspector Wexford, #17)
  • Innocent Graves (Inspector Banks, #8)
  • Dead Souls (Inspector Rebus, #10)
  • Brush Up Your Shakespeare!
  • Star Struck (Kate Brannigan, #6)
  • The Allingham Case-Book
  • Ode to a Banker (Marcus Didius Falco, #12)
  • The First Rumpole Omnibus
  • The Lighthouse (Adam Dalgliesh, #13)
  • The Sibyl in Her Grave (Hilary Tamar Mystery, #4)
  • The False Inspector Dew
  • Accomodating Brocolli in the Cemetary: Or Why Can't Anybody Spell
  • Death Is Now My Neighbor (Inspector Morse, #12)
  • Poison Penmanship: The Gentle Art of Muckraking
Reginald Charles Hill is a contemporary English crime writer, and the winner in 1995 of the Crime Writers' Association Cartier Diamond Dagger for Lifetime Achievement.

After National Service (1955-57) and studying English at St Catherine's College, Oxford University (1957-60) he worked as a teacher for many years, rising to Senior Lecturer at Doncaster College of Education. In 1980 he retired from
More about Reginald Hill...
A Clubbable Woman (Dalziel & Pascoe, #1) The Woodcutter On Beulah Height (Dalziel & Pascoe, #17) A Killing Kindness (Dalziel & Pascoe, #6) Death Comes for the Fat Man (Dalziel & Pascoe, #22)