Start by marking “FreakAngels, 4” as Want to Read:
FreakAngels, 4

FreakAngels, 4 (FreakAngels #4)

4.17  ·  Rating Details ·  1,212 Ratings  ·  32 Reviews

Twenty-three years ago, twelve strange children were born in England at exactly the same moment. Six years ago, the world ended. Today, eleven strange 23-year-olds live in and defend Whitechapel, maybe the last real settlement in flooded London. The Freakangels have lived in fear of the return of Mark, the twelfth of their kind, whose psychic powers far exceed their own. N
Published (first published May 7th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about FreakAngels, 4, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about FreakAngels, 4

Jan Philipzig
After a slow-burning third volume, this fourth volume delivers all kinds of twists and action. I love how the story jumps around from one plot thread to another, and how each new piece of information makes everything else appear in a different light. We even get to sneak a peek at what happened when “the world ended” six years ago, one that turns the whole story into a crude, horrifically flawed yet undeniably potent case of youth rebellion.

Come to think of it, FreakAngels now reads like an upda
Mar 22, 2012 Brandon rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Brandon by: Alaina
So after that pretty awesome cliffhanger in Volume 3, the 4th book opens with.. a flashback! Part of me was annoyed because I needed to know what was going to happen immediately. My first thought was, "MAN! I'm glad I wasn't reading this on a week to week basis". However, once I realized the flashback was finally going to give me some information about how the world ended up in the state it's currently in, I was satisfied.

The fourth entry in the Freakangels saga is a pretty awesome one and may b
Sam Quixote
Jul 04, 2012 Sam Quixote rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

The fourth volume in this excellent series hits the ground running and doesn't stop until the final page. The Freakangels are in turmoil: Mark is back from the wilderness with murder in his eyes and Luke is on the run after shooting Kirk. This book is also the first time we see the Freakangels before they ended the world - and how they did it. Flashbacks go back to their 14th birthdays followed by the time they're being hunted by the government, to the moment when Mark suggests they link
Artemiy Nizovtsev
Nov 05, 2015 Artemiy Nizovtsev rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics, 5stars, avatar
A lot of long-awaited insight to what actually happened before the world went all post-apocalyptic. Some tensions get resolved, some new ones are introduced. Very, very tight volume. I read this one in like half an hour, probably, and now I feel like I've been through hell and back, just like the characters in the book. Man, Warren Ellis sure can write.
Marie Graßhoff
Feb 18, 2013 Marie Graßhoff rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Okay, I just reviewed Freakangels 3 so if you want the broad strokes see that review. Rather than repeat myself about the pacing (Freakangels 4 covers the same day as Freakangels 3, going from afternoon to evening), I'll focus on the specifics of this book. The first half of the book is a flashback explaining how the world ended, what... the Freakangels did to cause it, all that back story. Necessary and it has it's good points, even some good artwork, but, again because of the pacing and the fo ...more
KV Taylor
This is where I actually stopped reading FreakAngels weekly -- or rather, I stopped right before the cliffhanger at the end of book 3 because I had a few mad weeks where I couldn't get to it online, and that took the edge off. So I didn't pick it back up, deciding instead to wait for the TPBs now I'd kicked the habit.

Thank god I did, seeing the first bit of this TPB. For me, it was awesome to finally get the backstory bit. Loved it. If I'd been reading weekly, I would've probably punched somethi
Andrew Huey
Apr 09, 2016 Andrew Huey rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The first half of this volume is a flashback to the big incident that caused the disaster that destroyed England. So it's good to have a little more detail on that. But there's still a lot of backstory left unexplored.

The second half is back in the present, moving the main story forward. Hard to say much else without giving anything away. But it's almost all action.
Elh R'
Dec 23, 2015 Elh R' rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
... and, finally, all hell breaks loose !!!

Lot of things happening in this volume, we see a glimpse of what happens before the flooding, freakangels learn new skills, die and get reborn, and we see Mark at last.

Very chaotic volume in comparison of the "peacefully" volumes before.

Again 5/5

(God, I love this comic)
Derek Parker
Feb 18, 2016 Derek Parker rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love this series, and it's something I have been wanting to read for some time. This is a webcomics classic, and we discussed it on a recent episode of the podcast:
Henrik Emilsson
Mark är tillbaka och det är stor osämja bland Freak Angels. Nästan halva albumet handlar om tillbakablickar och det är lika trist här som det brukar vara.
Carla A
Jun 05, 2016 Carla A rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Still good but starting to worry that the plot might be starting to suck. Let's see...
Mar 31, 2015 Travis rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5 starry stars. Best so far! I was waiting for background story.
Nov 02, 2014 Samantha rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am really digging this story. Just plowing through.
I should have seen that coming...but I didn't.
Jun 06, 2010 Reenie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comic
Not too much to say about this one - an awesome (if somewhat anticipated) ending to this part of the very ongoing story. Reading it all at once somewhat negates the frustration of going from a massive cliffhanger at the end of book 3 to what must have been nearly two months of flashbacks before the cliffhanger was attended to, and the backstory is definitely nice to have. In fact, the whole volume is full of nice moments, that just can't come quickly enough, dammit.

Stephanie Krause
Nov 17, 2010 Stephanie Krause rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novels
I obviously LOVE LOVE LOVE this series. Everything that's in print went on my Christmas list. Extremely glad that W.E. is planning to continue the free series at least through book 6... Now I'm just among the rest who have to wait for the weekly installments, since I'm all caught up now. Aww. Boo. Can't wait for more!
Geoff Sebesta
Mar 19, 2011 Geoff Sebesta rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
surprised that it was willing to go back and fill in the moments leading to the apocalypse.

Finally getting used to the art. Each page is divided into quarters and the storytelling is real slow and clear. The artist can get some very subtle effects but man is there not a lot of story in each issue.
Matt Piechocinski
Jul 28, 2011 Matt Piechocinski rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Warren Ellis continues to impress with this series. As we look headlong into the debt crisis, I find myself thinking that, you know, maybe the Freakangels and the Authority have it right. I dunno ... it's good stuff.
Jul 25, 2012 Victoria rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
These just get better and better, with story arcs and character developments that I can't put down.

(a.k.a. Gahhhh! What happens next? What happens next?!?)
May 11, 2012 Lori rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the best of them so far - gives a bit of the back story and fleshes out the characters. I'm truly enjoying this series.
Jun 30, 2012 Barry rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, 2012
Loved the concept, characters, and artwork. Great stuff, only sad the series didn't go longer and take a few more side trips.
Feb 18, 2012 Matt rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another excellent volume. The flashback stuff was great, and the cliffhanger at the end was REALLY great. I love this series.
Finally, a little of the backstory revealed. Tensions mounts amongst the 12. Abilities are enhanced and rivalries exposed.
Aug 19, 2016 Miriam rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Volume 3 ended with a cliff-hanger and Volume 4 opens with 6 years ago. That's just mean.
Still not enough Connor. Also I thought I liked Sirkka but actually I don't think I do.
Still going strong. Violence, action, super-power driven, crazy ride.
Jul 30, 2015 Steven rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
All around excellent series with some unforgettable teen characters
Apr 04, 2016 Dave rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2015, comics
Nice blend of backstory, current action, and bits of extra mystery.
best comic series going, and its free.
  • Agatha Heterodyne and the Chapel of Bones (Girl Genius, #8)
  • Gunnerkrigg Court, Vol. 4: Materia (Gunnerkrigg Court #4)
  • The Phoenix Requiem Volume Three
  • Rice Boy
  • Questionable Content, Vol. 1
  • Atomic Robo and Other Strangeness (Atomic Robo, #4)
  • Stand Still, Stay Silent: Book 1
  • Uncanny X-Force, Vol. 2: Torn and Frayed
  • Dreamless
  • Smut Peddler: 2012 Edition
  • Powers, Vol. 5: Anarchy
Warren Ellis is the award-winning writer of graphic novels like TRANSMETROPOLITAN, FELL, MINISTRY OF SPACE and PLANETARY, and the author of the NYT-bestselling GUN MACHINE and the “underground classic” novel CROOKED LITTLE VEIN. The movie RED is based on his graphic novel of the same name, its sequel having been released in summer 2013. His graphic novel GLOBAL FREQUENCY is in development at Jerry ...more
More about Warren Ellis...

FreakAngels (6 books)
  • FreakAngels, Volume 1 (FreakAngels, #1)
  • FreakAngels, Volume 2 (FreakAngels, #2)
  • FreakAngels, Volume 3 (FreakAngels, #3)
  • FreakAngels, Volume 5 (FreakAngels, #5)
  • FreakAngels, Volume 6 (FreakAngels, #6)