The Cloning Of Joanna May

The Cloning Of Joanna May

3.53 of 5 stars 3.53  ·  rating details  ·  342 ratings  ·  9 reviews
A novel about split personality, about the components of the self and genetic engineering. It tells the fate of Joanna May, who at the age of 60 discovers that she has been cloned and there are in fact four other versions of herself in existence.
Paperback
Published March 1st 1993 by HarperCollins Publishers (first published 1989)

Petra X
Jun 20, 2008 Petra X rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: People needing a few hours light distraction
Shelves: fiction
This could be the next step on from Ira Levin's The Stepford Wives. The perfect woman. But this one has intelligence. Its a story of how she leaves her creator, her lover, and her adventures on her way to taking over the world. Its quite amusing to see the sex industry from the point of view of one who has no knowledge of morals. The end of the story is predictable, somewhat disappointing, but actually the only possible end.
Kathleen Dixon
This is one of those books that everybody else has read but I just hadn't managed (everyone has lists of those, I know), so when I was walking along a shelf in the library and saw it looking at me I thought that "now is as good a time as ever" and borrowed it.

I'm just looking at the back of the book and there's a little quote from some reviewer (EXPRESS, it says), who says "An outrageously funny novel" and I'm having a real puzzling time about humour. I didn't for one moment find this book humor...more
Dan Purdue
I wrote a longer review, but got a message that Goodreads was over-capacity, and it vanished. Not a great start!

Essentially, I found this booked flawed. The characters were weak and annoying, particularly the female characters, the plot was slow, the science of cloning in the book was iffy. It didn't really convince me, but I read to the end to see how it would turn out. Not a book I'd recommend personally, but if you want a fairly light melodrama with a tiny bit of (dodgy) science thrown in, yo...more
Aley Martin
Meh. I thought it would be as good as She Devil, but I really plodded through it, wishing it would end. She had a great premise, it just was not as focused as I would have liked it to be.
Karschtl
Back cover sounded interesting, bit like "The third twin". But I gave up after 60 pages, didn't like the story up to there and especially not the style.
Kathy-ann Fletcher
It is funny in spots but can seem dreary at others. But the subject matter is definitely intriguing yet it ends in an unbelieveable manner.
Ray
I found this is an hostel in Vancouver all a bit creepy the thought of cloning and a bit depressing.
Bookguide
Sep 20, 2010 Bookguide rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Feminists
Better the more I read. See my full review: http://www.bookcrossing.com/journal/8...
Dee
This was an odd book. I enjoyed the story, but it was somehow unfulfilling.
Terry Szesny
Terry Szesny marked it as to-read
Jul 29, 2014
Susanna
Susanna marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2014
Nick
Nick marked it as to-read
Jul 16, 2014
Jess
Jess marked it as to-read
Jul 03, 2014
Liam Watson
Liam Watson marked it as to-read
Jun 03, 2014
Bruce P.
Bruce P. marked it as to-read
May 31, 2014
  • Owned and Owner
  • Marrying for Money
  • Claudine in Paris
  • Veil of Shadows (Veil, #2)
  • Women of Wonder, the Contemporary Years: Science Fiction by Women from the 1970s to the 1990s
  • Monologue of a Dog
  • The Prince of Frogs (Night's Rose #2)
  • Tales of the Night
  • Ann Veronica
  • Dirty Weekend
  • Foetal Attraction
  • Love Lives
  • Nobels testamente (Annika Bengtzon #6)
  • Les hommes protégés
  • Bones and Silence (Dalziel & Pascoe, #11)
  • Femininity
  • Pirate's Price
  • Lucky Break
Fay Weldon CBE is an English author, essayist and playwright, whose work has been associated with feminism. In her fiction, Weldon typically portrays contemporary women who find themselves trapped in oppressive situations caused by the patriarchal structure of British society.

More about Fay Weldon...
The Life and Loves of a She Devil Habits of the House (Love & Inheritance Trilogy, #1) Letters to Alice on First Reading Jane Austen Praxis Long Live the King (Love & Inheritance Trilogy, #2)