Start by marking “Smokehouse Ham, Spoon Bread & Scuppernong Wine: The Folklore and Art of Southern Appalachian Cooking” as Want to Read:

4.24 of 5 stars 4.24  ·  rating details  ·  71 ratings  ·  18 reviews
Winner of the James Beard Cookbook of the Year Award
Published May 1st 2010 by Cumberland House Publishing (first published September 1st 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Smokehouse Ham, Spoon Bread & Scuppernong Wine, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Smokehouse Ham, Spoon Bread & Scuppernong Wine

Candace Vianna
For those out there who want something more than just a compendium of recipes, look no further. This is more than just a cookbook; it's a snapshot of a way of life that is rapidly disappearing. In addition to recipes and cooking techniques you'll find interesting facts about Appalachian culture and the people who live there. Before the influx of German, Scotch-Irish and English settlers, this region was first home to the Cherokee, and their influence can be seen throughout this book.

Between the
Tiffany
Review of: Smokehouse Ham, Spoon Bread, & Scuppernong Wine, the Folklore and Art of Southern Appalachian Cooking
By Joseph E. Dabney
Review written by Tiffany Kreierhoff
I love flipping through cookbooks. I tend to find interesting recipes that I want to try out on my own. Or at least I find pictures of this I wish I had the skill and patience to make. This cookbook was different. I was unable to do that with this one. In no way does this mean that I didn’t find some interesting recipes, this b
Charla Wilson
This book is full of stories of the people of the Smoky Mountains. My favorite chapters are devoted to Fruits. Some of the mouth watering recipes are: Stewed Apples, Fried Apples, Apple Dumplings, Peach Cobbler,Peach Butter, Blackberry Cobbler, Scuppernong Jelly,and yes, Scuppernong wine, which I plan to try! Now, I will warn you that there are recipes for some things that I will not try, such as Turtle Stew, Squirrel Pie, and Possum and Sweet Potatoes. However, there are enough great ones like ...more
Melinda
Jan 01, 2008 Melinda rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone interested in southern food and culture
Shelves: nonfiction, favorites
I picked up a copy of this food history/cookbook in N GA while on vacation and quickly devoured its tasty mix of history and food lore. This amazing book tells the story of the Celts who immigrated over the Great Philadelphia Wagon Road in the 1700s. There are many old recipes, some sound strange, others tasty, but this is far more than a cookbook. Chapers deal with folklore, family traditions, and the social life of these stubborn, hardscrabble mountain people. The author, himself a product of ...more
Avis Black
Had too much about the culture, when what I wanted was a focus on the food.
Lanette
I originally thought this was more of a cookbook, but it turned out to be a great look at the history of some of Appalachia's most 'famous' food... while I may never actually cook from the book, I feel like I know more about the dishes I have heard so much about while living here in VA.
Donna
This is one of the best cookbooks I've ever read. I loved every minute of it. I may never cook any of the recipes, but I will read this book over and over again. It gives you some history and some insight into life in Southern Appalachia as well as recipes for some...ahem..."unique" culinary delights. You don't have to cook to enjoy reading this book.
Ami
One of the best cookbooks I've ever read. Not only are the recipes delicious and nostalgic, but the book itself is a wonderful read with great, old pictures. Being that my family's heritage is from the same origins and area, although we are far removed from the places and people, I felt a special connection to this book.
Suzanne
Interesting, if a bit too anecdotal and familiar/folksy. The whole "we all knew dinner was gonna be good when granny started sharpening her chicken-killin' knife" talk got tiresome.

The chapters on home brewing/fruit wine/moonshine were very good. Recipes included!

I am glad I read it.
Kimini85
More novel or textbook than a cookbook, I can't believe how much I learned from reading this! The personal stories included with the recipes are endearing, and the history and folklore are fascinating. Loved it!
Casie
I think you have to either be a food or a history geek to love this. It helps to be both and I am, so I really liked it. But brace yourself. The book IS long.
Della Parker
I loved the history and stories of Appalachia. Of course, as always new cooking ideas are welcomed!
Mary
Love the cultural and historical foodie tidbits, and some good down home yummy recipes.
Fred
I recommend this for any foodies out there. Good history good reading good eats.
Susannah
One of the staples in my kitchen, much-stained, much-thumbed, much-loved.
Oleta
Jun 14, 2011 Oleta rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: velina, twila
Shelves: cookboos
I think I will go order my own copy of this wonderful book.
Josh Cunningham
Josh Cunningham is currently reading it
Nov 18, 2014
Tamela
Tamela is currently reading it
Nov 24, 2014
Georgeanne Yehling
Georgeanne Yehling marked it as to-read
Sep 21, 2014
Cheryl Popiela
Cheryl Popiela marked it as to-read
Aug 04, 2014
Kate
Kate added it
Jul 02, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
The Food, Folklore, and Art of Lowcountry Cooking: A Celebration of the Foods, History, and Romance Handed Down from England, Africa, the Caribbean, France, Germany, and Scotland Mountain Spirits: A Chronicle of Corn Whiskey from King James' Ulster Plantation to America's Appalachians and the Moonshine Life More Mountain Spirits: The Continuing Chronicle of Moonshine Life and Corn Whiskey, Wines, Ciders & Beers in America's Appalachians Herk: Hero of the Skies: The Story of the Lockheed C-130 and Its Adventures Around the World ...