Start by marking “What's a Christian to Do with Harry Potter?” as Want to Read:
What's a Christian to Do with Harry Potter?

What's a Christian to Do with Harry Potter?

Answers to the Burning Questions Christian Parents, Educators, and Others Are Asking about Harry Potter.

In the world of publishing, few successes have equaled that of J. K. Rowling’s Harry Potter series—magical stories centered on one boy’s adventures at Hogwarts, a school for witchcraft and wizardry. Yet this popular series presents a perplexing—even divisive—challenge t
Paperback, First Edition, 210 pages
Published May 15th 2001 by WaterBrook

To ask other readers questions about What's a Christian to Do with Harry Potter?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about What's a Christian to Do with Harry Potter?

Jen
May 27, 2014 Jen rated it liked it
This is targeted to a very specific audience, obviously, and unfortunately it falls into the trap of its printing context. Its copyright is 2001--three of the HP books hadn't even been published yet, and the first film was still in Coming Attractions mode. So when Neal takes the first chapter or two to convince her audience that they shouldn't ignore Harry Potter because the phenomenon isn't going away, she doesn't know the half of it! She has another book that came out in 2007 that includes HP ...more
Kim
Nov 06, 2007 Kim rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Christian parents
Wow! I really got a lot out of this book! As a mom of 2 boys who will inevitably be introduced to Harry Potter at some point in the coming years, I wanted to educate myself on this controversial series so that we can decide for our family whether or not it will be alright to read these books. This book is full of examples and discusses legitimate concerns but also demonstrates how this series can be used to teach our children biblical principles if we choose to read it. The author is a reputable ...more
Adam Ross
Jan 16, 2009 Adam Ross rated it really liked it
This book is not so much about Harry Potter as it is a book about how to deal with Christians who disagree with you. If you're looking for detailed interaction with the Potter novels, this isn't the place, but if you want to learn about how to deal with differences, using the Potter novels as a test case, then pick it up. Very helpful.
Simone
Nov 04, 2008 Simone marked it as to-read
I haven't read this yet, but I expect it to be crazed and filled with ignorance. Why is magic okay when it happens in C.S. Lewis books or when Jesus does it, but not Harry Potter?
Cathy Cramer
What I liked most about this book is its thoroughness and fairness in representing both sides of the debate on whether or not Christians should read Harry Potter, without picking on either side. I first read this book about seven years ago when my oldest child considered reading the Harry Potter series in late grade school. At the time, the child decided without my input not to read the series.

However, now, as teen, the child has read the entire series. At the time I originally read this book,
Rachel
I picked up this book out of curiosity. I have never read the Harry Potter books myself, but a few of my family members have. I have, however, seen all the movies. I don't want to share my own personal views about the Harry Potter series here, just what my review of this book is, as I think that is more beneficial and staying within topic.

The author shares upfront her personal thoughts and points out the struggles Christians have had over this particular book series. It amazed me how far the ar
Emily
Feb 12, 2015 Emily rated it it was amazing
The debate surrounding the Harry Potter books is fierce. Few statements will divide a room faster than "I am a Harry Potter fan" and incite a barrage of ad hominem attacks from the opposing corners. This is sadly, especially true in the Christian community and this should not be.

Mrs. Neal addresses the issue full-on in this book, explaining what the books /really/ are about instead of what some people /say/ they are about, why they properly belong in the same tradition as The Chronicles of Narn
Paul
Jul 11, 2010 Paul rated it really liked it
Shelves: library
Andrew
Jun 10, 2016 Andrew rated it liked it
Harry Potter and similar influences exist in the world, and the author advocates teaching children to deal with them, like Daniel in Babylon, and parents to redeem them. I don't agree with all her points, but she was generally fair to both sides of the issue, asks for the issue not to divide Christians, and sees this as an opportunity for evangelicalism. Chapter seven on protecting children from the real-world occult is useful regardless of the parent's take on Harry potter. The book, however, i ...more
Erin
Apr 21, 2012 Erin rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Anyone who doesn't know what to think about Harry Potter.
This was not on my long list of "To-Read" books. Just picked this off of the shelf at the Library and thought "you should read this." After reading the cover, I had an idea of what this book would be about, how wrong I was. Even though C.W. Neal does not share my same opinion, I loved her approach to this book. Not judging other people by what they choose to do or do not is a loud and clear message. Very good research.
I went into this with a neutral stance on Harry Potter, and came out with a very strong opinion! If you are wondering what the fuss is all about, you should read this!

Covers topics like:
Classic fantasy or blatant witchcraft?

Why kids are mad about Harry Potter

Fighting clean as a Christian

Be in the world but not of the world

Using Harry Potter to help kids grow in goodness
Lydia
Apr 17, 2010 Lydia rated it it was amazing
If you are somewhat uncertain about reading the Harry Potter series, this is definitely the book for you. Or if you're half-way through, and you suddenly are not so sure this is a good idea. Or maybe you're just interested in what the fuss is about.
Cherice
Jul 03, 2009 Cherice rated it liked it
Interesting, but fairly basic and really geared toward those unfamiliar with any of the Harry Potter books.
Carolyn
Sep 10, 2011 Carolyn rated it it was amazing
Remember reading this a few years ago and liking it...
Lanetta
Dec 07, 2010 Lanetta rated it it was amazing
I love the concept of chosing for yourself adn how each person due to past experiences can arrive at a different answer.
Dye
Mar 15, 2008 Dye rated it really liked it
Cool! comprehensive, unbiased, and very helpful (especially for my thesis, heheh)
Kristen
May 29, 2014 Kristen rated it liked it
Shelves: nonfiction, 2014
Excellent book on the back-and-forth debate over Harry Potter. The author is pro-HP, but fairly presents a rational look at the other side, while encouraging readers to decide for themselves.
Mary
Mary rated it liked it
Feb 16, 2013
Mickey
Mickey rated it liked it
Jan 26, 2011
Heather
Heather rated it liked it
Jun 07, 2013
Wesley Fryer
Wesley Fryer rated it liked it
Dec 29, 2011
Hope
Hope rated it it was ok
Mar 27, 2012
Caryn
Caryn rated it liked it
Oct 17, 2010
Jim Shaffer
Jim Shaffer rated it really liked it
Mar 16, 2011
Charles
Charles rated it liked it
Feb 06, 2011
Alison
Alison rated it did not like it
Mar 15, 2012
Christine
Christine rated it really liked it
Feb 11, 2012
Aaron
Aaron rated it it was ok
Aug 18, 2012
John D
John D rated it really liked it
Mar 20, 2011
Janet
Janet rated it really liked it
Jun 28, 2008
« previous 1 3 4 next »
  • Looking for God in Harry Potter
  • The Wisdom of Harry Potter: What Our Favorite Hero Teaches Us About Moral Choices
  • The Lord of the Hallows: Christian Symbolism and Themes in J.K. Rowling's Harry Potter
  • The Nature of the Book: Print and Knowledge in the Making
  • Author Unknown: Tales of a Literary Detective
  • The Things That Matter: What Seven Classic Novels Have to Say About the Stages of Life
  • Mugglenet.com's Harry Potter Companion
  • From Homer to Harry Potter: A Handbook on Myth and Fantasy
  • Reading Harry Potter: Critical Essays
  • Defeating Darwinism by Opening Minds
  • The Face That Demonstrates the Farce of Evolution
  • John Rosemond's New Parent Power!
  • The Life of Mary As Seen By the Mystics
  • Genesis 1-4: A Linguistic, Literary, and Theological Commentary
  • Jesus: Apocalyptic Prophet of the New Millennium
  • Persecution: How Liberals Are Waging War Against Christians
  • The Owl, the Raven, and the Dove: The Religious Meaning of the Grimms' Magic Fairy Tales
  • Shocked by the Bible: The Most Astonishing Facts You've Never Been Told