Start by marking “Muggles and Magic: An Unofficial Guide to J.K. Rowling and the Harry Potter Phenomenon” as Want to Read:

4.10  ·  Rating Details  ·  2,042 Ratings  ·  24 Reviews
With more than 50,000 copies of the first two editions in print, the popular "Muggles and Magic" has been substantially revised and updated to feature more exciting, up-to-the-minute information, including a photo essay on the famous Harry Potter-themed retail store, Whimsic Alley; a first-hand account of J.K. Rowling's celebrated August 2006 book reading in New York (with ...more
Published February 28th 2007 by Hampton Roads Publishing Company (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Muggles and Magic, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Muggles and Magic

Maarit
Sep 27, 2015 Maarit rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Jästit ja taikuus (2007, Readme.fi) on nippelitietoa sisältävä teos Harry Potterin maailmasta, joka samalla taustoittaa J.K. Rowlingin elämää sekä kertoo erilaisista Harry Potter faniyhteisöistä. Kirja on jaettu kuuteen eri lukuun, lisäksi siinä on runsaasti liitteitä.

Täytyy miettiä, miksi vaivauduin lukemaan tämän teoksen loppuun asti. Kirja on sisällöllisesti pahasti vanhentunut ja osa sen antamista tiedoista on myös paikkaansapitämättömiä. Jotain asioita olisi myös voinut karsia kokonaan pois
Annemarie
I expected George Beahm's Muggles and Magic to be more like Melissa Anelli's Harry, A History, but in reality, it read more like a sourcebook or the Kronzeks' The Sorcerer's Companion. Often, the information seemed like a biography of J.K. Rowling. There were then pages of quotes about various topics, often seeming repetitive. This is not to say that the text was not interesting.
One thing that made me giggle a bit was reading about "seven movies". This book was written shortly before the publica
Diane Wachter
J.K rowling and the Harry Potter Phenomenon, George Beahm, PB-B @ 2004, 8/18/05. Criticism and interpretation. Okay.
Mikey
Dec 06, 2011 Mikey rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I think this was a wonderful nonfiction book full of things that I did not know about j.k. Rowling like she got the name harry from a child hood friend, and that she had divorced her husband. This book includes a time line of J. K. Rowling, and interesting pictures that range from magazine covers to fan memorobelia. It also tells where she liked to write her books like in a coffee shop in England. It also tells about where she had lived in the past and her financial troubles struggling to make i ...more
Tiana
Aug 20, 2015 Tiana rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Great book with lots of story and behind the scenes information for Harry Potter fans. The book was published before the 6th book was released so most of the info is up to the fifth book.
RumBelle
Mar 02, 2016 RumBelle rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction
I love reading companion guides to my favorite fandoms. Each sheds new light, and insight, into favorite characters, places, things and objects. It shows you how the worlds were created, and what the hidden symbolism is. You learn a lot, not only about the fandoms themselves, in this case Harry Potter, but also about the history, art and more that went into their construction.
Jeannie
Oct 19, 2008 Jeannie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: College Research Students
Recommended to Jeannie by: TSU Library
Shelves: research
I used this book for research when I was writing a paper in college. I took a class on Children's Literature and used Hermione Granger as the protagonist for my featured character anaylsis. It was a great help and takes an in-depth look into how Harry Potter and his universe has affected modern society. A great resource.
Sarah Margaret
I didn't like this at all.
It was boring and pointless (beside the mini biography of JK Rowling, which had a bit of new information in it).
Although the pictures of people dressed up in costume at Harry Potter conventions were amusing.
Jasmin
Apr 09, 2012 Jasmin rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, non-fiction
It was boring and pointless like somebody already said. Besides Rowling's biography and chapters two and five it was nothing but rubbish. Cannot understand how I made it through.
Sylvia
Dec 24, 2008 Sylvia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Harry Potter lovers
Recommended to Sylvia by: my mom
i love this book!
it explains almost everything about the creatures, spells, plants and people. it's the best book related to Harry Potter I've read.
Kelly Martin
I took most of this with a pinch of salt because you never really know if what's in it is 100% true. Saying that I still did enjoy it!!!!
angie
Aug 16, 2010 angie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
some of the information is wrong, but still an interesting read if you're a harry potter fan and there's a fun quiz at the end
Chloe Maddox
Interesting if you are a fan, and good for factual reference studies, but some information is wrong on the fiction side.
Carolanne
Not only do I have the HP series, I have series about the series.
Holy shit I can't wait!!
Jennifer Datus
This was in the list of the typ of bookes I like and thought it will be good to read.
Deborah
Fascinating read, but give yourself plenty of time...not a book to zip through.
Nikki Kelly
Actually somewhat of a letdown. It was boring and uninteresting in most parts
Kira (Budge) Brighton
Pretty decent analysis of the Harry Potter series.
Madelyn
It rocked like all other books involving HP.
Megan Barnhart
For my Philosophy of Harry Potter class!
Emily
Dec 19, 2008 Emily marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I used for a biography project on JKR.
Runa
Mar 28, 2007 Runa rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: HP fans
Shelves: runasbooks
good for HP fans as a resource
Sabrina Davis
It was okay....i guess
Charlotte
Aug 06, 2007 Charlotte rated it it was ok
disappointing
Anice
Anice rated it it was amazing
Mandy
Mandy rated it liked it
Abby
Abby marked it as to-read
Turtle
Turtle rated it liked it
May 04, 2016
Abigail Meyer
Abigail Meyer marked it as to-read
May 03, 2016
Erin O'Shea
Erin O'Shea marked it as to-read
May 02, 2016
  • Ultimate Unofficial Guide to the Mysteries of Harry Potter: Analysis of Books 1-4
  • An Unofficial Muggle's Guide to the Wizarding World: Exploring the Harry Potter Universe
  • Mapping the World of Harry Potter: Science Fiction and Fantasy Writers Explore the Bestselling Series of All Time
  • Unlocking Harry Potter: Five Keys for the Serious Reader
  • Who Killed Albus Dumbledore?: What Really Happened in Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince? Six Expert Harry Potter Detectives Examine the Evidenc
  • The Science of Harry Potter: How Magic Really Works
  • Gospel According to Harry Potter: Spirituality in the Stories of the World's Most Famous Seeker
  • Mugglenet.com's Harry Potter Should Have Died: Controversial Views from the #1 Fan Site
  • The Psychology of Harry Potter: An Unauthorized Examination Of The Boy Who Lived
  • The End of Harry Potter?
  • Repotting Harry Potter: A Professor's Book-by-Book Guide for the Serious Re-Reader
  • Charmed Knits: Projects for Fans of Harry Potter
  • The Wisdom of Harry Potter: What Our Favorite Hero Teaches Us About Moral Choices
  • Harry Potter and History
  • J. K. Rowling: The Wizard Behind Harry Potter
  • MuggleNet.com's What Will Happen in Harry Potter 7: Who Lives, Who Dies, Who Falls in Love and How Will the Adventure Finally End?
  • Field Guide to Harry Potter
  • Harry Potter & Imagination: The Way Between Two Worlds
George Beahm writes books about censorship, sports figures, and numerous literary figures, including Patricia Cornwell, J.K. Rowling, Stephenie Meyer, Philip Pullman, and others.
More about George Beahm...