Start by marking “The Sorcerer's Companion: A Guide to the Magical World of Harry Potter” as Want to Read:
The Sorcerer's Companion: A Guide to the Magical World of Harry Potter

The Sorcerer's Companion: A Guide to the Magical World of Harry Potter

4.02  ·  Rating Details ·  6,660 Ratings  ·  105 Reviews
The New York Times bestseller, now fully updated to include Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix

Who was the real Nicholas Flamel? How did the Sorcerer’s Stone get its power? Did J. K. Rowling dream up the terrifying basilisk, the seductive veela, or the vicious grindylow? And if she didn’t, who did?

Millions of readers around the world have been enchanted by the magica
Paperback, Second Edition, 352 pages
Published August 10th 2004 by Three Rivers Press (first published 2001)

Eric Boot
It was pretty good, not outstanding or so. It contained interesting background information and fun facts every Potterhead (meeeee!!) would love. Also, there were some nice historic facts and it was very interesting to see how aspects from Harry Potter can also be seen in world's history. It only was a little boring and clearly NOT written by JK. If you're a big Potterfan you could have a try but sth like Quidditch Through the Ages or Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them is way better.
Titty
Aug 25, 2012 Titty rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned-books
YOU GUYS, I LOVE THIS BOOK!
As you may know (or may not know), I'm completely obsessed with Harry Potter so when this book came out I immediately bought it.I think I didn't even know what it was about!
It was so interesting for me to read about mythical creatures, Harry Potter-related school subjects and magical objects.I even forced my friends to buy it so we could pretend that we were students at Hogwarts (don't blame me, I was only 12, I think).
It's truly a very fascinating read and whenever I
Erika
Jun 24, 2012 Erika rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
A well researched compilation of different cultures' lore on creatures, characters and practices mentioned on the Harry Potter series. I read this book for the first time almost ten years ago and it was a nice, friendly introduction to folklore and interesting historical information on how magic was regarded in past times, all this with illustrations to aid younger readers get a better idea of what the text is referring to. I reread this book after all these years and I still find it enjoyable, ...more
PurplyCookie
Harry Potter's fantastic world of magic has its roots in true history, mythology, and folklore; father-daughter team Allan Zola Kronzek and Elizabeth Kronzek have now made this wealth of astonishing information available to Muggles in their "A Sorcerer's Companion: A Guide to the Magical World of Harry Potter". From astrology to Grindylow to reading tea leaves to witch persecution, this fascinating volume gets to the bottom of every magical mystery connected with Hogwarts.

It's an invaluable com
Crystal
Sep 25, 2008 Crystal rated it liked it
I am a Harry Potter geek. Get over it. I love those books and I love this one because it's really really cool. And I'm equally cool for having read it. If you think otherwise, I suspect it's jealousy and I forgive you.
Nathan Albright
Sep 02, 2016 Nathan Albright rated it it was amazing
Shelves: challenge
I found a great deal of amusement in reading that this book was not in any way endorsed by J.K. Rowling or by the publishers of the Harry Potter series. As someone who has participated and enjoyed writing about the legitimacy of the Harry Potter series [1], this book demonstrates something that many readers of the Harry Potter series will likely not well understand, and that many of those who seek to present the Harry Potter series as falling within the Christian mainstream will be at some pains ...more
Christian Brown
This book looks at the world of magic from a educational perspective framed in the world of Harry Potter. It gives the historical background for many of the things in the Harry Potter world in a brief, encyclopedic way. It gets 3 stars simply because it barely scratches the surface, but, for a person with simply a cursory interest in the magical world, it is a very useful and educational book.
Particle_Person
While not actually a horrible book, this didn't contain many facts that I didn't know already. I suppose it depends on who the book is read by — I might have gotten more from it at age 12 than at age 28 (when I read it a bunch of years ago). If you're reasonably fluent in mythology and so forth, you won't learn much.
Ivy
5 stars

Nice to look more into the world of Harry Potter. Also how it relates to events that happened back in the day. Very interesting.

Can't wait to read more Harry Potter universe books!!!
Maria Jaramillo
Sep 21, 2015 Maria Jaramillo rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015
Para los amantes de harry potter, como yo, es hermoso encontrar algo asi, sin embargo no trata los temas especificos de los libros si no mas bien de los mitos en general y como se generaron, lo cual es muy interesante. Pero no me aporto algo mas.
Angélica
Very informative and interesting. This got me even more interested in Harry Potter, and helped introduce me to myths, legends, and fairy tales from other countries (I read an earlier edition when I was in first year high school).
Tessa
Jun 28, 2011 Tessa rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another library whim . . . as immersed as we are in the world of HP right now! I even find myself intrigued by the HP-land at Disney World! I blew through this book pretty quickly as it was easy to skim like an encyclopedia. Very enjoyable!
Miss Abernathy
Recuerdo tener 11 años y haber suplicado a mi padre que comprara este libro porque hacía referencias a Harry Potter.

Cuando lo tuve en mis manos lo devoré prácticamente, lo leía una y otra vez.
Ashley
Sep 08, 2015 Ashley rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really loved this book!
Anne Wi
Nov 03, 2016 Anne Wi rated it liked it
I give this 3 stars because I feel the name of the book is misleading. One would think there would be a lot about Harry Potter in it. That is not the case; while there are multiple mentions and references to the Harry Potter movies that is not really what this book is about. To me this book is more of a guide to magic, mythical beasts, tarot, palmistry, etc.... While the information contained is great I would not recommend this book if you are seeking knowledge about Harry Potter. I borrowed my ...more
Gigi Bats
Bastante completo y bien redactado, aunque algo aburrido para leer.
Kathy
Oct 16, 2016 Kathy rated it really liked it
I saw nothing to dislike about this book, I have even recommended it to my Harry Potter loving friends. It was well written, and pleasant. It was not intended to be a straight read through, and it covers a lot of items, however it's not bulky or heavy reading so it goes quickly. I loved knowing the origins of the ideas. I am learning to love mythology and lore through these kinds of books.
Gabriella Salazar
Fue un libro que obviamente compré porque tiene que ver con el universo de Harry Potter; pero que a penas llevaba leídas aproximadamente unas 30 páginas solté, me sentí aburrida, insatisfecha, ansiosa por terminarlo y dejarlo de lado ya que soy del tipo de persona a la que no le gusta dejar un libro a medias, por esta razón lo terminé. Pero en realidad, pude haberlo conseguido en PDF, ahora me arrepiento de haber gastado dinero en el.
No me dejó nada productivo, a veces pienso si en verdad deber
Noelle Walsh
Oct 08, 2016 Noelle Walsh rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed reading this book! It may be a great companion for Philosopher's Stone to Goblet of Fire but there is quite a bit of information on several creatures and items mentioned in them! This book, in my opinion, is an excellent addition to the shelf of any Harry Potter fan and I believe they'd enjoy it just as much as I did.
Natalie
The Sorcerer's Companion is a great introductory guide to the mythological allusions in the Harry Potter series. Framed like an encyclopedia, it features information from different cultures on a variety of topics, including the Sorcerer's Stone, basilisks, amulets, and grindylows. It's a great companion to the series but also a fun - and informative - way to introduce Harry Potter fans to the mythology behind the series, told in a way that's interesting even to kids (I read this at eleven and at ...more
Anna xayavongsa
May 26, 2014 Anna xayavongsa rated it it was amazing
In harry potter and the sorcerer's stone,harry an orphan, lives with the dursleys, his horrible aunt and uncle, and thier abominable son, dudley. harry potter series is about fantasy that use a lot of magic, i like to watch and read this movie very much,when i read i feeling enjoy. one day just before this eleventh birthdays an owl tries to deliver a mysterious letter, the first of event of sequence of events that end in harry meeting a giant man named hagrid. hagrid explains harry's history to ...more
Dec 26, 2014 Sarah rated it it was amazing
The best thing about this book by far was its collection of strange beliefs that people have had and customs they have observed. For instance, it was thought that church bells would prevent witches from flying. At least one town in Germany ordered all churches to constantly ring their bells from dusk to dawn to prevent witches from flying then.

At first, I was a little bummed that there wasn't more about the origins of the Harry Potter character names (because the book has the most entries about
Carly
Jan 09, 2015 Carly rated it really liked it
This book is so fun! I got a signed copy as a birthday gift when I was a kid and loved it. It gives you tons of information about a lot of the creatures and concepts in the Harry Potter books. Great illustrations. You can also use it to do a few "spells" of your own! My sister and I used to love to do tea leaf reading based on the examples in this book. A great read for the Harry Potter fan in your life.
Valentina
Dec 14, 2015 Valentina rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
i have this book since i was little and just recently i reopen it and look at it, and it gave me a lot of nostalgia: it's very helpful for understanding the backstory of the saga of harry potter and the tales of the wizarding world, because there are explanations of every beasts, spells and magical stories. this is ceirtanly one book that could help some very young reader of the firsts books of the j.k. rowling's saga to understand in a better way this magical world.
Natalia Coronado
May 19, 2015 Natalia Coronado rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Que manera más bonita de regresar en el tiempo y recordar a todas esas criaturas que en alguno momento nos emocionaron y nos hicieron investigar un poco más sobre ellas, en este libro se aprenden muchísimas cosas pero es ese hecho el que hace que las entradas se tornen un poco largas, lo que me hizo dudar en la calificación, las entradas se tornan repetitivas y eso me desanimo un poco, pero las imágenes y la calidad de la edición es hermosa.
Omly
Jul 18, 2009 Omly rated it it was ok
While I was fairly familiar with the background of the traditional mystical and mythological figures and practices Rowling drew from when she wrote the Harry Potter series, I could see this as interesting for someone who liked the novels, but was unfamiliar with them. Having said that, I wasn't surprised by anything in here, but was mildly amused at how the authors kept trying to pull HP references in to remind you that this was supposed to be appealing to that audience.
Devon Forest
Aug 24, 2015 Devon Forest rated it really liked it
I skimmed through parts of it, but it was really interesting to see where all the myths originated from. I liked seeing the variations of different species (I guess that's what you call them: elves, goblins, dragons, etc…) from different parts of the world. It was a fascinating read since I haven't read too much about the origins of myths much.
Nicholas Doran
Jun 27, 2015 Nicholas Doran rated it liked it
Seeing as this book was not optioned nor produced by J.K. Rowling, I was hesitant to attain it. But I was thoroughly glad I did for it does give insight into the magical world behind Harry Potter. Although it does not emit the charm Rowling's writing does, it's still very enjoyable. Definitely get this if you enjoyed the HP series.
Lizzie
Aug 29, 2013 Lizzie rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Harry Potter Fans
I LOVE this book! I am a huge fan of Harry Potter and this book is a perfect way to learn about the history behind the magical things that J.K. Rowling did not make up. It is well written and very informative. The sections on Hippogriffs and Dark Magic are particularly fascinating. I would recommend this to any harry potter fan.
Puck
Feb 24, 2016 Puck rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: harry-potter
Eindelijk uit! Ik vond het op een hele saai en langdradige manier geschreven. Komt weinig Harry Potter in voor en veel verwijzingen naar andere boeken en sprookjes! Het is eigenlijk een Engels boek, maar ik heb het in het Nederlands gelezen. Heb toch het gevoel dat bij vertalingen soms het 'gevoel' uit een boek weg is! Heel jammer, want had dit boek graag leuk gevonden!
sorry for misleading topic but I don't know the name of a book need help 1 1 Sep 12, 2016 11:11PM
  • Ultimate Unofficial Guide to the Mysteries of Harry Potter: Analysis of Books 1-4
  • Muggles and Magic: J. K. Rowling and the Harry Potter Phenomenon
  • An Unofficial Muggle's Guide to the Wizarding World: Exploring the Harry Potter Universe
  • Mapping the World of Harry Potter: Science Fiction and Fantasy Writers Explore the Bestselling Series of All Time
  • Unlocking Harry Potter: Five Keys for the Serious Reader
  • Charmed Knits: Projects for Fans of Harry Potter
  • MuggleNet.com's What Will Happen in Harry Potter 7: Who Lives, Who Dies, Who Falls in Love and How Will the Adventure Finally End?
  • The Science of Harry Potter: How Magic Really Works
  • Harry Potter and History
  • Who Killed Albus Dumbledore?: What Really Happened in Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince? Six Expert Harry Potter Detectives Examine the Evidenc
  • Mugglenet.com's Harry Potter Should Have Died: Controversial Views from the #1 Fan Site
  • Repotting Harry Potter: A Professor's Book-by-Book Guide for the Serious Re-Reader
  • J. K. Rowling: The Wizard Behind Harry Potter
  • Gospel According to Harry Potter: Spirituality in the Stories of the World's Most Famous Seeker
  • The End of Harry Potter?
  • The Magical Worlds of Harry Potter: A Treasury of Myths, Legends, and Fascinating Facts
  • The Complete Idiot's Guide to the World of Harry Potter
  • The Psychology of Harry Potter: An Unauthorized Examination Of The Boy Who Lived