Start by marking “The Sorcerer's Companion: A Guide to the Magical World of Harry Potter” as Want to Read:
The Sorcerer's Companion: A Guide to the Magical World of Harry Potter

The Sorcerer's Companion: A Guide to the Magical World of Harry Potter

3.99 of 5 stars 3.99  ·  rating details  ·  4,660 ratings  ·  68 reviews
The New York Times bestseller, now fully updated to include Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix

Who was the real Nicholas Flamel? How did the Sorcerer’s Stone get its power? Did J. K. Rowling dream up the terrifying basilisk, the seductive veela, or the vicious grindylow? And if she didn’t, who did?

Millions of readers around the world have been enchanted by the magica...more
Paperback, Second Edition, 352 pages
Published August 10th 2004 by Three Rivers Press (first published 2001)

To ask other readers questions about The Sorcerer's Companion, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Sorcerer's Companion

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by J.K. RowlingHarry Potter and the Goblet of Fire by J.K. RowlingHarry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix by J.K. RowlingHarry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban by J.K. RowlingHarry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince by J.K. Rowling
Best Books About Harry Potter
46th out of 88 books — 189 voters
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by J.K. RowlingHarry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban by J.K. RowlingHarry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. RowlingHarry Potter and the Goblet of Fire by J.K. RowlingHarry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets by J.K. Rowling
Harry Potter Books
23rd out of 36 books — 64 voters

More lists with this book...

Lula
Feb 05, 2012 Lula rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Lula by: Magali
Shelves: mythology
This it's a really good book that sums up all the mythology we can found in Harry Potter's book. It's really interesting.
Titty
YOU GUYS, I LOVE THIS BOOK!
As you may know (or may not know), I'm completely obsessed with Harry Potter so when this book came out I immediately bought it.I think I didn't even know what it was about!
It was so interesting for me to read about mythical creatures, Harry Potter-related school subjects and magical objects.I even forced my friends to buy it so we could pretend that we were students at Hogwarts (don't blame me, I was only 12, I think).
It's truly a very fascinating read and whenever I...more
Erika
A well researched compilation of different cultures' lore on creatures, characters and practices mentioned on the Harry Potter series. I read this book for the first time almost ten years ago and it was a nice, friendly introduction to folklore and interesting historical information on how magic was regarded in past times, all this with illustrations to aid younger readers get a better idea of what the text is referring to. I reread this book after all these years and I still find it enjoyable,...more
PurplyCookie
Harry Potter's fantastic world of magic has its roots in true history, mythology, and folklore; father-daughter team Allan Zola Kronzek and Elizabeth Kronzek have now made this wealth of astonishing information available to Muggles in their "A Sorcerer's Companion: A Guide to the Magical World of Harry Potter". From astrology to Grindylow to reading tea leaves to witch persecution, this fascinating volume gets to the bottom of every magical mystery connected with Hogwarts.

It's an invaluable com...more
Miss Abernathy
Recuerdo tener 11 años y haber suplicado a mi padre que comprara este libro porque hacía referencias a Harry Potter.

Cuando lo tuve en mis manos lo devoré prácticamente, lo leía una y otra vez.
Christian Brown
This book looks at the world of magic from a educational perspective framed in the world of Harry Potter. It gives the historical background for many of the things in the Harry Potter world in a brief, encyclopedic way. It gets 3 stars simply because it barely scratches the surface, but, for a person with simply a cursory interest in the magical world, it is a very useful and educational book.
Particle_Person
While not actually a horrible book, this didn't contain many facts that I didn't know already. I suppose it depends on who the book is read by — I might have gotten more from it at age 12 than at age 28 (when I read it a bunch of years ago). If you're reasonably fluent in mythology and so forth, you won't learn much.
Tessa
Another library whim . . . as immersed as we are in the world of HP right now! I even find myself intrigued by the HP-land at Disney World! I blew through this book pretty quickly as it was easy to skim like an encyclopedia. Very enjoyable!
Angélica
Very informative and interesting. This got me even more interested in Harry Potter, and helped introduce me to myths, legends, and fairy tales from other countries (I read an earlier edition when I was in first year high school).
Crystal
I am a Harry Potter geek. Get over it. I love those books and I love this one because it's really really cool. And I'm equally cool for having read it. If you think otherwise, I suspect it's jealousy and I forgive you.
Anna xayavongsa
In harry potter and the sorcerer's stone,harry an orphan, lives with the dursleys, his horrible aunt and uncle, and thier abominable son, dudley. harry potter series is about fantasy that use a lot of magic, i like to watch and read this movie very much,when i read i feeling enjoy. one day just before this eleventh birthdays an owl tries to deliver a mysterious letter, the first of event of sequence of events that end in harry meeting a giant man named hagrid. hagrid explains harry's history to...more
Nina
If you liked the Harry Potter series, this book is a beautiful insight in how the world of magic is connected to our own; through history, legends and cultures... A sort of a scientific view on creatures and notions throughout the first four books of Harry Potter series.
Geneviève Decock
Hm, I love Harry Potter, but I don't really like this book.
Marijo Alvarez
:D Genial para entender todo este mundo!
Karla
Mucha información sobre criaturas mágicas!!!
Belén Torres
I LOVE this book!!!!!!!
Jess
This was definitely designed as a reference book. Since I borrowed it from the library, I didn't have the luxury of reading it as such. It bothered me that the authors stated legends as facts, but it was interesting to see some of the legends behind JK Rowling's series. I'm sure there are better books out there with the same purpose, though.
Omly
While I was fairly familiar with the background of the traditional mystical and mythological figures and practices Rowling drew from when she wrote the Harry Potter series, I could see this as interesting for someone who liked the novels, but was unfamiliar with them. Having said that, I wasn't surprised by anything in here, but was mildly amused at how the authors kept trying to pull HP references in to remind you that this was supposed to be appealing to that audience.
Lizzie
Aug 29, 2013 Lizzie rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Harry Potter Fans
I LOVE this book! I am a huge fan of Harry Potter and this book is a perfect way to learn about the history behind the magical things that J.K. Rowling did not make up. It is well written and very informative. The sections on Hippogriffs and Dark Magic are particularly fascinating. I would recommend this to any harry potter fan.
Adela Bezemer-Cleverley
It was interesting and mildly informative, but next time I get a non-fiction book about Harry Potter, I'd like it to be more about Harry Potter. Also I'd prefer to get one written by a non-American author because it always bugs me to read "Sorcerer" instead of "Philosopher" and etc.
Kate
This book is so interesting. It takes things from the Harry Potter books - like the sorcerer's stone and alchemy, and explains the history of those things. So, not only do you get to learn more about the Harry Potter series, but you get to learn a little bit about history, too! :)
Elizabeth
this is an interesting read about magic and mythical creatures and the lore behind them. I think non Harry Potter fans could enjoy it as well because it mentions characters from the books but its main emphasis is on old mythological creatures that appear in the books.
Mel
This was really interesting, but it took me so long, because it's not a book you'll read in one day. There's too much information and I liked to read a couple of pages every day. It was nice to see everything sum up this way and they've made it enjoyable to read :)
Macarra
I really appreciate this book - it feels like you're reading a very, very condensed version of 'The Harry Potter Lexicon'. It's a nice book for Harry Potter lovers - despite missing a fair amount of detail and seeming rather irrelevant to the actual Potter world.
Elektra
I loved this book as a child. Particularly the section on tea leaf divination. I spent all afternoon one day on my deck, drinking cups of stale green tea, trying to make sense of the mysteriously shaped blobs of leaves left behind. Lots of neat stuff in here.
Effy Weasley
again - as a harry potter obsessed teenager it was really interesting and fascinating reading about magical formulas, ghosts, dragons and mythological stuff. a highly recommandable book - i've been looking things up there for a long time :)
Veselina
This is one amazing book and not only because it is linked to the magical world of Harry Potter, but because it gives you so much information about so much things! In my opinion books like this are the perfect gift for any curious person!
Shahna
I have the first edition of this book. It only included the first four novels, because that was all that was published when I bought this one.

I love this book. I read from it all the time. So many interesting things.
Ashley-Anne
This was really interesting and presented in a really easy to understand format. It could almost be an handbook on magic in general. Unfortunately it only goes as far as the fourth book.
  • Ultimate Unofficial Guide to the Mysteries of Harry Potter: Analysis of Books 1-4
  • Fact, Fiction, and Folklore in Harry Potter's World: An Unofficial Guide
  • An Unofficial Muggle's Guide to the Wizarding World: Exploring the Harry Potter Universe
  • Mapping the World of Harry Potter: Science Fiction and Fantasy Writers Explore the Bestselling Series of All Time
  • Unlocking Harry Potter: Five Keys for the Serious Reader
  • MuggleNet.com's What Will Happen in Harry Potter 7: Who Lives, Who Dies, Who Falls in Love and How Will the Adventure Finally End?
  • The Science of Harry Potter: How Magic Really Works
  • Who Killed Albus Dumbledore?: What Really Happened in Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince? Six Expert Harry Potter Detectives Examine the Evidenc
  • Charmed Knits: Projects for Fans of Harry Potter
  • Repotting Harry Potter: A Professor's Book-by-Book Guide for the Serious Re-Reader
  • Harry Potter and History
  • The Psychology of Harry Potter: An Unauthorized Examination Of The Boy Who Lived
  • The End of Harry Potter?
  • Mugglenet.com's Harry Potter Should Have Died: Controversial Views from the #1 Fan Site
  • The Magical Worlds of Harry Potter: A Treasury of Myths, Legends, and Fascinating Facts
  • The Ultimate Harry Potter and Philosophy: Hogwarts for Muggles
  • The Complete Idiot's Guide to the World of Harry Potter
  • Conversations with J.K. Rowling
The Secrets of Alkazar: A Book of Magic 52 Ways to Cheat at Poker: How to Spot Them, Foil Them, and Defend Yourself Against Them Book of Magic for Young Magicians: The Secrets of Alkazar A Book of Magic for Young Magicians: The Secrets of Alkazar Book of Magic for Young Magicians: The Secrets of Alkazar