Start by marking “Gamers at Work: Stories Behind the Games People Play” as Want to Read:
Gamers at Work: Stories Behind the Games People Play

Read Excerpt

Gamers at Work: Stories Behind the Games People Play

There are few companies in the video-game industry that have withstood the test of time; most startups exit as quickly as they enter. In Gamers at Work: Stories Behind the Games People Play, the countless challenges of building successful game developers and publishers in this unstable industry are explored through interviews containing entertaining stories, humorous anecd ...more
Published February 8th 2012 by Apress

To ask other readers questions about Gamers at Work, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Gamers at Work

Tyler
Jan 03, 2013 Tyler rated it did not like it
I didn't read this book, but browsed through it in a bookstore with intentions of buying it. I have read through many of the interviews in the similarly formatted book Coders at Work: Reflections on the Craft of Programming by Peter Seibel, and found that book to be a very well written collection of conversations with fascinating people. Being a programmer myself, I enjoyed that book more than the average person would, but I'm also an avid gamer and expected to like this book too. I was wrong... ...more
Eric Mesa
Feb 28, 2015 Eric Mesa rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: video-games
On the negative side, I didn't realize beforehand this was written by a venture capitalist guy from the point of view of running companies. That made it less fun than if it'd been about the amazing and revolutionary games these companies made. However, it still ended up being pretty interesting in two main ways for me. First, seeing how much money was needed to start up changed through the decades. Second, seeing that there is no one right way to run a company. Some were family-friendly and othe ...more
Michael Scott
Gamers at Work is a collection of interviews with top people from the video and computer gaming industry. The interviews are loosely structured around the establishment and challenges of gaming studios, the creative processes, and the struggle to remain afloat as the industry changes.

I really loved this book. The people interviewed here are usually heads of game studios or leads of the creative part of the business, but otherwise span a broad range of interests, backgrounds, and capability. Ther
Devin Watson
Jul 19, 2016 Devin Watson rated it really liked it
I initially read the first interview with Trip Hawkins (Electronic Arts) and put the book down. He came across as an arrogant egonomaniac with his "look how awesome I am and all the things I did all by myself" shtick. Still, I couldn't abandon a book mid-read, so I picked it back up later and charged through. And I'm glad I did.

The interviews are very insightful. Morgan Ramsay does his best to stay on point with all of the questions. Each chapter is a different industry leader from various eras.
Andy Parkes
Sep 01, 2015 Andy Parkes rated it liked it
Shelves: 2015-reading
Not bad..could have been so much more.

Was very interested to hear from the people who have been involved in the creation of some of the gaming industries successful companies.

This book focussed on the business side of things and while there were some interesting stories a lot of it felt repetitive (even within specific interviews. It felt like the same question was being asked just in a slightly different way)

If you're purely just a gamer then you'll get bored of it pretty quickly as there is
Justin Liew
Apr 25, 2013 Justin Liew rated it liked it
Some great interviews, but overall it was a bit uneven. The interviews with Nolan Bushnell, Wild Bill Stealey, Tony Goodman, Warren Spector, Ken Williams, Jason Rubin and Ted Price were informative and/or entertaining.
Craig Cecil
Nov 15, 2012 Craig Cecil rated it liked it
Shelves: computers
This book continues the 'At Work' series, in a series of interviews with notable game authors, project leaders, etc. Many of the topics have been covered repeatedly in the past, with a few new additions.
Todd Mitchell
Sep 17, 2012 Todd Mitchell rated it it was amazing
17 interviews with people who started game studios and rode the wave. Just awesome. This was an inspiring read.
Jonathan
Sep 17, 2013 Jonathan rated it really liked it
very informative and filled with worthwhile advice and experiences to serve as examples for aspiring game developers.
Andrew Eleneski
Andrew Eleneski rated it really liked it
Oct 16, 2015
Todd
Todd rated it it was ok
Mar 06, 2013
Nikola Ognenovski
Nikola Ognenovski rated it really liked it
Mar 28, 2016
Alex Moskalyuk
Alex Moskalyuk rated it really liked it
Sep 29, 2012
Bido Alsharkawi
Bido Alsharkawi rated it really liked it
Feb 07, 2015
Andrew
Andrew rated it really liked it
May 17, 2015
Matt
Matt rated it it was amazing
Jun 20, 2013
Vinícius Sztibe
Vinícius Sztibe rated it really liked it
Aug 29, 2014
N. M.
N. M. rated it liked it
Apr 26, 2015
Alexandre Maron
Alexandre Maron rated it liked it
May 29, 2013
Louise Kasemeier
Louise Kasemeier rated it it was amazing
May 09, 2012
Richard
Richard rated it really liked it
Sep 15, 2012
Luis S.
Luis S. rated it liked it
Jun 03, 2016
Juan
Juan rated it liked it
Oct 16, 2014
Luiz Cavalcanti
Luiz Cavalcanti rated it liked it
Jan 04, 2014
John
John rated it really liked it
Sep 05, 2014
Charles Naut
Charles Naut rated it really liked it
Oct 29, 2013
Fredrik Arnell
Fredrik Arnell rated it it was ok
Dec 12, 2016
Thomas Henshell
Thomas Henshell rated it it was amazing
Oct 28, 2015
Matt Lane
Matt Lane rated it it was ok
Mar 09, 2013
Karl
Karl rated it liked it
Oct 23, 2015
« previous 1 3 next »
  • The Making of Karateka
  • Dungeons and Desktops: The History of Computer Role-Playing Games
  • Venture Capitalists At Work: How VCs Identify And Build Billion Dollar Successes
  • Critical Play: Radical Game Design
  • Dungeons & Dreamers: A Story of how Computer Games Created a Global Community
  • Designing Virtual Worlds
  • More About Software Requirements: Thorny Issues and Practical Advice: Thorny Issues and Practical Advice
  • The Case Study Handbook: How to Read, Discuss, and Write Persuasively About Cases
  • The Design of Design: Essays from a Computer Scientist
  • Characteristics of Games
  • Mastering Digital SLR Photography
  • Power-Up: How Japanese Video Games Gave the World an Extra Life
  • Toyota Production System: An Integrated Approach to Just-In-Time
  • Gamification by Design
  • Game Programming Patterns
  • For the Win: How Game Thinking Can Revolutionize Your Business
  • How Toyota Became #1: Leadership Lessons from the World's Greatest Car Company
  • Data Flow 2: Visualizing Information In Graphic Design

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »