Start by marking “Fade to Black (Deadlines & Diamonds, #1)” as Want to Read:
Fade to Black (Deadlines & Diamonds, #1)

Fade to Black (Deadlines & Diamonds #1)

Fade to Black is the debut novel by award-winning short fiction writer and journalist Morgan Kearns. It is a tempestuous and witty love story, complete with dangerous twists and turns that keep the reader guessing until the very last page. Kate Callahan is a news reporter in Salt Lake City whose life seems to be perfect. Her attentive boyfriend, Jesse Vasquez, is determine ...more
Nook, 0 pages
Published April 1st 2011 by Morgan Kearns, via Smashwords (first published January 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Fade to Black, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fade to Black

Kristina
Apr 28, 2012 Kristina rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Morgan Kearns is the Queen of Contemporary Romance!

Seriously! I cannot remember enjoying a contemporary romance as much as I did Fade to Black! I enjoyed Morgan's Paranormal romance Heart Ache and her two PNR shorts, but FtB blows them out of the water and it was her debut novel. After finishing the novel only a few hours ago, I feel like I'm having withdraws. Imagine the joy I felt learning that Rich, Kate, Nate, and Roxy are all back in book 2. I was elated.

As stated above, Fade to Black is Mo
Gessica
Dec 23, 2011 Gessica rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This was the worst book I've ever read. Their was no proper development. The characters were not believable. Every "twist" was a cliche you expected. Don't waste your time.
Yelania Nightwalker
Lo primero que me atrajo de Fade to Black fueron los personajes. Todos, desde Kat hasta Shea, fueron personajes creíbles, humanos. Todo lo que les sucedió a lo largo de la historia, fue absolutamente real, aquí habían cosas que sólo puedes encontrar en la vida, no todo es miel sobre hojuelas. Hay sufrimiento, locura, amor y pasión.

¿Qué puede hacer una mujer que ha estado toda su vida con el hombre que ama y que la ama, si un día se da cuenta que hay otra persona que tiene la capacidad de hacerle
Nov 03, 2009 Jennifer rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone whose just a little bit of a romantic...it's a really amazing read!
Fade To Black - Debut Novel By Morgan Kearns

If your looking for a romance, where not to much happens and everything ends perfectly, Fade To Black is not the book your probably gonna enjoy...things happen to these very real people...

Fade to Black grabbed me from the very first sentence, "Was it possible to be perfectly content and nervous as hell all at the same time?" And did not let me go...each page, I wanted to read further, I actually MADE myself stop, sleep, stop, eat...ect. I did not want
Wanda
Sep 07, 2010 Wanda rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was sooooo good! And the author of this book is such a sweetheart. I got in contact with her through Facebook and Twitter she was so sweet. She requested I kept her informed on my reading progress. Now I must say that I read this book in less than a week. It probably would have been less than a week but I had my son at home, demanding my time and attention. But once I opened this book I literally had a hard time putting it down. And if I were sitting when I read, it would have had me a ...more
rameau
Mar 25, 2012 rameau marked it as not-for-me  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: p2p
See comments.
Raquel Vega-Grieder
Review Of Fade To Black By Morgan Kearns

Paperback: 498 pages
Publisher: BookSurge Publishing (October 20, 2009)
Language: English
ISBN-10: 1439255636
ISBN-13: 978-1439255636
Url: http://www.morgankearns.com/fade_to_b...
Genre: Romance / Thriller
Age: 18+ (but not so much that at mature 16+ could not read it in my opinion.
Soure: Amazon.Com (link to buy)
Blurb:

Renee
Jul 27, 2012 Renee rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fade to Black, the first book in Morgan Kearns series Deadlines and Diamonds, revolves around four main characters, Kate Callahan, her childhood sweetheart Jesse Vasquez, Rich Spencer, and his wife Shea. Kate and Jesse are planning to wed, eventually, but their plans are put on hold when Kate starts a new job at KHB TV. There she meets her cameraman, Rich Spencer, married to his highschool sweetheart who is not so sweet anymore. Kate and Rich are instantly attracted to each other but do not act ...more
Kara Peterson
This book is totally outside of my genre. I normally read supernatural or thrillers. This book is total romance-every now and then I have read a historical romance but this is not even that. It is pure here and now romance. It is hot. Lots of burning sex. The descriptions for the scenes were original and not super uncomfortable (no throbbing members and my hot desire etc). The reality of it is that I get bored with just romance, I guess I need more. I liked that the characters were all likeable, ...more
Tich Brewster
Aug 08, 2012 Tich Brewster rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I review for Loves All Things Books and left this review on their page as well.

This is the first book I've read by Morgan Kearns. I wasn't sure how I was going to like it but I ended up thoroughly impressed. I felt like I was right there in the story experiencing everything. And the emotions, just...WOW! Tissues are a must when reading Fade to Black!

Georgiann Hennelly
Fade to Black grabbed me from the very first sentence. The Characters are interesting, the plot is unique, and the dialogue is fantastic. Mr Kearns , created a wonderful story full of romance, humor, and heart breaking suspense. Set against the background of the Tivi news industry.Kate the main character is torn between two men. One who she has loved for years and one who took her breathe away at first sight.Kate is a smart women who,s struggling to let her heart soar. Rich and Jesse are are bot ...more
Anne OK
Aug 21, 2011 Anne OK rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011-reads
Debut book by Morgan Kearns. An extremely emotional story that is a guaranteed page-turner. Nothing like anything I've ever read before and although there was much I didn't like, there was more that captivated me and wouldn't turn loose. The subject matters covered in this book are difficult and heartwrenching. Even so, I am glad I took the chance and read "Fade to Black."
Mell
Aug 17, 2011 Mell rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I didn't like this. Flat characters and story. I pushed myself to keep reading and give it a chance but just could not endure. Quit around the middle.
Morgan
Sep 11, 2011 Morgan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 4-stars

Fade to Black is a memorable and capturing adult romance. It grabbed and held my attention from the very first page; it didn’t drag. It’s also an original, complicated and emotional story.

Rich is in a horrible marriage. His wife, Shea, is psychotic and suspicious. She makes his life hell.
Kate has been dating Jesse for about 10 years. She is happy. Jesse is a good guy, but he’s jealous and very insecure at times.

Wh
Tessamari ♥Many Waters...♥ ~ Sweet Spot Book Blog
4.25-4.5 Stars :)

This book had me frustrated, laughing, crying, and yelling. This book had everything. We have our four main characters, Jesse, Kate, Rich and Shea. Jesse and Kate have been together for 10 years and love each other very much. Jesse, however, can be a very jealous man. Rich and Shea are married, but Shea has some psychological issues and just plain ole CAA-RAY-ZEE! Shea keeps on insisting that Rich is having extra marital affairs, which of course, Rich is not. She's psycho. Kate
Marcie
Jul 21, 2010 Marcie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fade to Black is a 'couldn't put the book down' read. This story grabbed me from the start. I loved the story line. It had mystery, romance, and humor. I found myself staying up late just to see what would happen next. This book is more than just a romance, it is also a thriller. I loved the thrilling aspect of this book. The story is fast paced and moves continually. I also loved the characters. They all bring something different to the table. Kate Callahan is the main character. She is a woman ...more
Erin
Jul 15, 2010 Erin rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
LovesAllThingsBooks Book Reviews

Kate has a great boyfriend and a wonderful new job as a news reporter. Rich is a miserable man in a horrible marriage. When the two are paired together on assignments, something happens. Rich finds a reason to smile again and K
Linda Boulanger
Apr 10, 2012 Linda Boulanger rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Morgan Kearns’ Fade to Black was a first for me by this author and I have to say I immediately ordered book two in this series because I loved this first one so much. From the believable characters and situations that take the reader inside a TV Newsroom to a story that kept me turning page after page in an attempt to find out what happened, I enjoyed it all and spent several late nights trying to get to the highly satisfactory ending. I found myself feeling for Kate in her struggle with love vs ...more
Barbara ★
I just don't do cheating as I simply don't find it romantic on any level. So when Kate starts flipping between married Rich Spencer and her long-term boyfriend (whom she claims to love-love-love), my triggers starting tripping. I found it incredibly difficult to get behind a relationship between Rich and Kate and found myself rolling my eyes in disgust again and again.

The writing itself wasn't so bad for a first attempt but I'm so not interested in reading about cheaters.
Dylan
Jul 21, 2010 Dylan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is captivating. Without giving away anything, I will say it is unlike any book I have read before...I had no idea how it would end. Kearns definitely invented her own style on this one. Morgan's writing comes to life and I felt like I was actually there watching the whole thing play out....
Melissa
Oct 14, 2009 Melissa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I LOVED this book!

Fade to Black grabbed me from the beginning and I couldn't put the book down.
I couldn't wait to see what the next turn would bring or where the characters would end up.
YES, I fell in love with Rich...
I can't wait to see what Morgan comes out with next, she has a fan that is sure to read any books she publishes... :)

Thanks, Morgan for sharing this story with us.
Leslie
Nov 05, 2009 Leslie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
This book is wonderful. Morgan Kearn's has done an amazing job bringing her characters to life. The choice Kate has to make between Rich and Jesse is excrucitating for her and you can really feel the emotion. How do you choose between two amazing men that you love? Join Kate in her journey through heartbreak and fear and finding her true love.
Dinjolina
Jun 04, 2012 Dinjolina rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow! Just....wow!
Adultery and the fact that it was one a twilight fanfic(this one gave me heart palpation and made me prepare for doom) aside…it was a freaky love story, but I loved how everybody was obsessed with the heroine. Maybe I have read to many Harlequins so that a heroine that is pursued-and not a pining wallflower to an alpha-is such a good experience. :)

Full review to come.
Shawna LeAnn
Dec 01, 2011 Shawna LeAnn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nook-books
I am going to give this book a 4.5 because jeez, it was good. There was parts where I wanted to shove some people around and yell at them, but the ending it totally and completely worth being pissed. Ups and downs and crazy people what more could you ask for in a romance? This book is just so much more than I thought it would be and I loved every second.
Kimberlee
Sep 04, 2011 Kimberlee rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I don't normally read contemporary literature, but I'm glad I read this! I thoroughly enjoyed it! Love Rich and, dare I say it, disliked Kate more than a little bit. Shocking, I know! Felt she really short-changed Rich when he was there for her. I did like the change of emotion for a character though...first like then dislike.

Don't miss this read and let me know what you think of Kate!
Sharon
Mar 05, 2011 Sharon rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved this book! The characters became so real to me, I felt every thing they did! The plot will keep you guessing the entire book. I could not put it down! Can't wait to read more from Morgan Kearns!
Laurel
Dec 10, 2009 Laurel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Just realized that I never reviewed this book, which I read a while ago. This was a great first book for this author. The story line was complicated enough that I couldn't figure out how it was going to come together until the very end. A fun romance with many levels.
Kim
Nov 05, 2009 Kim rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is hard to put down. It sucks you in from the first chapter and sticks with you long after you have read the last page. The dialog is top notch and the story is full of angst, humor and romance. I loved this book and hope Morgan keeps writing. I can't wait to read what she puts out next.
Karla
Oct 24, 2009 Karla rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a great read. I instantly connected with the characters and couldn't put the book down. Just when I thought I had the story figured out, there was always another twist and turn I didn't see coming.
  • Live In Position
  • Once Upon A Temptation
  • Gilded Cage
  • The Golden Apple of Discord (The Discord Trilogy, #1)
  • Weight of the World (Old Wounds, #3)
  • Streamline
  • Pieces of Us
  • Welcome to Drama Academy
  • The Way That You Play It
  • Indivisible
  • The Black Diamond (Black Diamond, #2)
  • Black and White
  • Life, Liberty, and Pursuit
  • The Last Keeper (The Keepers' Chronicles #1)
  • Cat O' Nine Tails
  • A Multitude of Sins
  • Cocktails and Dreams (Cocktails and Dreams, #1)
  • Whirlwind
Morgan Kearns is an Emmy-Nominated Journalist turned Bestselling Contemporary Romance Author with readers cheering for her Deadlines & Diamonds series.

Some of her favorite people include those who step out of her thoughts asking for their stories to be told. Grab a book and meet them today!

If not glued to her laptop, Morgan can be found with her nose stuck in a book or cheering for her own lit
More about Morgan Kearns...

Deadlines & Diamonds (7 books)
  • In It To Win It (Deadlines & Diamonds, #2)
  • Out of Left Field (Deadlines & Diamonds, #3)
  • Lucky 13 (Deadlines & Diamonds, #4)
  • Hard Break (Deadlines & Diamonds, #5)
  • When at First (Deadlines & Diamonds, #6)
  • Safe at Home (Deadlines & Diamonds, #7)