Start by marking “Jetlag” as Want to Read:

3.64 of 5 stars 3.64  ·  rating details  ·  148 ratings  ·  21 reviews
A simple trick spirals out of control as a magician inexplicably pulls dreadful and undesirable things from his hat. An innocent passenger fends off an amorous stewardess and a drug-smuggling dwarf aboard a doomed jumbo jet. Tourists from hell visit a village once every 200 years to purchase delicacies like Coca Cola and canned beans. A boy finds an imaginary friend in the ...more
Published June 1st 1998 by Actus Tragicus (first published 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Jetlag, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Jetlag

I hate this guy for the simple reason that he makes writing engrossing stories about everyday life seem as easy as tying your shoe. Seriously. A boy falls in love with his piggy bank? That's the premise of one of these stories? Yeah, and it's tragic and wonderful.
Leif Erik
Oct 23, 2007 Leif Erik rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Leif Erik by: people who are into existenicial graphic novels
As you have probably gathered from the title this is five stories of Egan Keret set to pictures. All are excellent interpretations of his frankly bizarre fiction. Go get a copy.
Christian McKay
Wonderfully strange short stories with well designed pictures to enhance. My favorite was "Margolis", where the boy falls in love with his piggy bank.
This is a collection of five short stories by Etgar Keret, each one illustrated by different artists. All the artists and the author are Israeli.

There are 5 stories in total in this book:

HaTrick: A magician's favorite trick becomes a horrible surprise every time he performs it.
Margolis: A kid is given a piggy bank to save up for a toy. However, he becomes more attached to the piggy bank.
Jetlag: A surreal story of a transatlantic flight where a guy is being wooed by a stewardess while being seate
Jun 10, 2013 Helen rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Adults
Recommended to Helen by: No-one.
Five surreal stories/fables by Etgar Keret, drawn by five graphic artists. I loved "Margolis" about the misunderstood child and his toy - sort of the never-ending world of a kid whose parents eternally argue over him. Of course the kid turns to his toy - in the end rescues it, just as he would want to be rescued. "HaTrick" was somewhat disturbing, no doubt was meant to be. I loved "Romanian Circus" - could see the denouement coming but still enjoyed the final image of the guy probably happier an ...more
Wry, depressing but funny comics from Israel. Rutu Modan illustrated the last story, which was a nice surprise.
I'm re-reading this as part of this month's extra-curricular writing project (that's supposed to sound flip, not pretnetious. I hope it comes across that way). It's really good, if slightly uneven mix-- I like Keret, and I really like the Actus Tragicus folks. The winner here is Modan's "Romanian Circus," which I think might be closer to a collaboration than an adaptation, since I can't find an original prose version of the story. But this is really good, and read alongside the originals, there' ...more
I'm beginning to think Etgar Keret's work can be just as effective in any medium. While the art wasn't in the styles I gravitate toward the story-telling is the reason to read this book. The artist pick up on what is essential Keret and make his work translate into images. Overall a nice quick read. But it did want to make me read more Keret instead of search out the illustrators.
Bonnie Stufflebeam
I love Etgar Keret, but the stories in this book didn't reflect what I feel are his best works. As for the graphic aspect, it felt as though the stories were just split into segments which were then displayed above or beside the graphics; I didn't feel as though the graphics were well integrated with the words. I also noticed quite a few typos in my copy.
5 illustrators interpret etgar keret stories, rendering them shorter and even more surreal than they originally were. Something strange about reading this right after reading James Tate. They have similar minds, the thread of events in their narratives wanders in haphazard, surreal, and wonderful ways.
I think I was spoiled by loving "The Nimrod Flipout". In "Jetlag", I found myself distracted by the graphics. Instead of the story being enhanced by the pictures, for me, I lost the rhythm and tone and sometimes even the story. One exception was the story "Margolis".
I expected this to be a comic book written by Etgar Keret; instead, it's more of an illustrated version of a bunch of his short stories (which I've already read!), where sometimes the illustrations do not even have an independent role.
Yossi Pinhas
israil toplumuna bir bakış atarken insanlık halini gerçeküstü zorluklarla değerlendiren aslında hüzünlü bir çizgi öyküler dizisi. her bir öykü farklı bir çizer tarafından resimlenmiş.
Most of these novellas read more like illustrated stories than comics. There all pretty good although I kind of wish they were better. It seems like they should have been better.
Jim Talbott
This is a really enjoyable collection. I'd read all of the stories before, but it's great to see what different artists do with them.
Very bizarre. Really expressive and loose illustration styles from Actus Tragicus, the group of comic artists who illustrated.
I think the artists managed to capture the wackiness that is a short story written by Etgar Keret.
My tolerance for quirky-serious Lynchian stories with woodcut-style art is currently at an all-time low.
I love Etgar Keret - but this graphic novel is awful. Maybe I'm just not a big fan of graphic novels.
Good stories, but I found the illustrations, except those by Yirmi Pinkus, to be disappointing.
Mai Reda
Mai Reda marked it as to-read
Nov 25, 2015
Adam Kuczyński
Adam Kuczyński marked it as to-read
Nov 21, 2015
Kika marked it as to-read
Nov 09, 2015
İpek marked it as to-read
Oct 25, 2015
Zoe marked it as to-read
Oct 11, 2015
Jaquelyn Caiello
Jaquelyn Caiello marked it as to-read
Sep 29, 2015
Casperoni marked it as to-read
Sep 08, 2015
  • Jamilti and Other Stories
  • Welcome to the Dahl House: Alienation, Incarceration, and Inebriation in the New American Rome
  • Lust: Kinky Online Personal Ads
  • The Canterbury Tales
  • The Smile of the Lamb
  • Cancer Made Me a Shallower Person: A Memoir in Comics
  • Tonoharu: Part One
  • Dolly City
  • Should You Be Laughing at This?
  • Almost Dead
  • Limassol
  • Poem Strip
  • Pinocchio
  • Berlin, Vol. 2: City of Smoke
Etgar Keret is an Israeli writer known for his short stories, graphic novels, and scriptwriting for film and television. His books had been published in more than thirty languages.

Keret has received the Prime Minister's award for literature, as well as the Ministry of Culture's Cinema Prize. The short film Malka Lev Adom (Skin Deep, 1996), which Keret wrote and directed with Ran Tal, won an Israel
More about Etgar Keret...