Start by marking “The Black Stallion's Ghost” as Want to Read:
The Black Stallion's Ghost

The Black Stallion's Ghost (The Black Stallion #17)

3.81 of 5 stars 3.81  ·  rating details  ·  1,893 ratings  ·  33 reviews
While riding the Black in the Everglades one day, Alec meets a man astride a ghostly gray mare. Alec’s fascination with the man turns to fear as he realizes the man is dangerously close to insanity. Soon Alec and the Black are caught up in a deadly chase through the depths of the Everglades, where a misstep could be fatal.

From the Trade Paperback edition.
Published September 28th 2011 by Yearling (first published 1969)

To ask other readers questions about The Black Stallion's Ghost, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Black Stallion's Ghost

Kensie Linton
Mar 13, 2015 Kensie Linton rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Abby Sparks, Madeline Sitton, Autumn Bloss
The main characters in this book are Alec and a new guy he met in the swamp named Captain Philippe de Plumminel. He is in the circus unit. He has a horse named the Ghost because of her swift movements. The setting takes place in the Everglades with the captain.

The conflict in this book starts when Alec met the captain and the captain wanted Alec to come back with him to his house in the middle of the Everglades. The captain wants to breed the Black with his mare, but Alec can’t because the racin
Karen GoatKeeper
I have been horse crazy for as long as I can remember so books about horses are something I look forward to. That said, The Black Stallion's Ghost was disappointing.
The gray mare and her training is interesting. From other reading I have done, she must be incredible to do the airs above ground as only some stallions are supposed to be strong enough. The idea of using musical cues really piques the imagination. I wonder if anyone has ever really done it.
The book bogs down in the ghost story part.
IziEzi
This is the only book from the Black Stallion series that I kept; This one is a scary horror story, with a raging storm that traps them deep in the Everglade swamps with a sinister stranger. Then a ghost story about a swamp demon begins to come true... *shiver*
Rena Sherwood
My review originally appeared on Amazon.com:

Not for the squeamish! There's forbidden sex, a non-Christian diety and violence. And really not for children ages 9-12, as recommended. I know--I've HAD this book since 9 and hated it then. I re-read it a couple nights ago (I am now in my late 20s) and really enjoyed it. Personally, I would rate the book a 7, but using the entire Black Stallion series as a reference, I gave it a 6. The average reader of the Black Stallion series likes their stories to
Mirrani
I am always saying how Walter Farley's books are true adventures. This is where his adventures start to deviate from the norm and become the surreal. I am not a fan of this writing style for Farley, but I enjoy the concept of this book. I wish that there had been a little bit more of an adventure to it than the talking that went on between two characters for a good half of the book. There was also a lot of repetition that isn't typical of Farley's work. It's enjoyable and in some ways is a myste ...more
Dark-Draco
Having got a bit bored by the Black Stallion series, I have to say that this one knocked my for six - completely different to any of the books that have gone before. Alec and The Black are taking a well earned break near the Florida Everglades. Enjoying a sense of freedom he has missed for a long time, Alec lets a ride get over long and they end up at the house of Captain de Pluminel, a horse trainer of exceptional skills whose white mare, The Ghost, is the envy of everyone. Accepting the Captai ...more
Wendy
I hated this one. It was surreal and far-fetched and horrific and not at all what I was expecting, all in the worst ways possible. And, yet again, there was no point, as this is never mentioned again, and we're not sure if (view spoiler).

So why did Farley put us through this torture? Well, do you remember The Island Stallion Races? He was clearly insane by this point, it's the only explanation.

Now, despite the harsh sound of that, I do want to point o
Karen
I have a number of this series' books--and some others by Farley. Sooo good (most of them), but this one is a little eerie. Still, it leaves one wanting a bit more and waiting to see if there will be a sequel to this particular book--especially sine the ghost-like mare in the book may be in foal to The Black. Since it is set largely in the Florida Everglades and (even way back then) states dissent over the engineering devices which started to drain the Everglades, I have to admire it if only for ...more
Selina Kyle
This was probably my favorite horse book that I had ever read growing up. It was also the first ghost story I'd ever read that really scared me, in part because it's such a departure from most of the other Black Stallion novels.

I remember reading some of it out loud to my brothers (who also have a taste for the morbid) and getting a shiver out of them, too. I want to re-read it but I worry it will tarnish the memories of the nights I spent reading it originally.
Celest
Since this is the first of the Black Stallion series I've read, I didn't really know what to expect. It was an alright story and I liked how the others told Alec that it was all due to hallucinations caused by the swamp. The ending was meh and I don't know if I'll pick up the other books from this series.
Sarah McC
I really thought that The Island Stallion Races (remember? ALIENS!) would be enough of a ramble into the world of the alien and supernatural for Farley, but he ventures there again in this completely pointless story. I’m not even going to bother describing the plot. Suffice to say, Alec spends most of the story running around the Everglades in the dark, pursued by some sort of supernatural being/god who scares another guy to death. The book has virtually nothing to do with the Black; a race is t ...more
Kyra Lythgoe
THIS BOOK GAVE ME NIGHTMARES LIKE YOU WOULDNT BELIEVE
Faithann
They probably could have done without this one. It really didn't contribute much to the series.
Bonnie
The last few books in this series are really bad and what's really sad is that as much as I hated this one, there are worse books in the series. Re-reading this childhood favorite has been a real love-hate relationship. The books I remember liking the best, I still love. I think the ones I didn't like, I hate even more. In this book Alec and The Black get lost in the Everglades and spend the night with an old man determined to "steal" a mating for his mare with The Black. The night is filled wit ...more
Fragilemuse
I LOVED this book when I was a kind. Granted I was very much in love with creepy books such as Shadow in Hawthorn Bay and anything by Stephen King, so of all the Black Stallion books this one was right down my alley.

I wish I still had a copy of it now because at the age of 33 I would probably still read this every few years. There was just something so deeply haunting about it that brought me back over and over again. I even still dream about it once every couple of years.

Anna
May 18, 2012 Anna rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: NO ONE!
YUCK!!! I just wanted to yell at Alec "Go home!!!" It was such a weird book!! One of those books where Alec lives some experience and he falls asleep right before that so you think he is dreaming but he isn't, so it portrays the fact that there are ghosts and the like. There are several books in this series that are the same, and I did not like any of them!!!
Melody
Wow. This one may be even worse than the rabid bat one. Or the one with the alien horse race aficionados. Either way, it's near the very bottom of Farley's oat bag. Ludicrous plot. No Henry to speak of. Weird gods. Inexplicable characters who flicker in and out. Give it a miss.
Jessica Timmons
I never realized just how much walter farley could take you into the supernatural world. It completely threw me off balance and I couldn't put the book down. He obviously did his research on the native american folklore for that area, of Florida. Definately a very good book.
Sharon
I raced through this series as a child. Of course, "The Black Stallion" was my favorite, and I read it a few times, but I waited eagerly for any of the books to return to my branch of the library so I could snap them up.
Kiersten
The horses were beautiful, as always—but the whole tone of the story and the Haitian captain's beliefs were just too creepy for me. The only Black Stallion book I have read to date that I really dislike.
Jutta
I remember being terrified of this story when i read it in grade school. even though i read most of the others multiple times, i wouldn't reread this one. not scary really as an adult.
Lori
The first book was the story of a boy and a horse, but the series grows with books on similar themes of overcoming adversity and animal/human bonding. Loved them as a kid.
Kate
This was one of my favorite books in the series. I liked reading about the circus life, and the white horse that performed to cues in the music.
Jordyn
This was a fantastic book. I just started reading for fun becacause of this book and the other stallion books.
Lynne Stringer
Like The Black Stallion Mystery, I didn't think this one worked. It was a bit tedious.
Mandy Blackburn
A very different Black Stallion story. I love a good ghost story and this one was good.
Jessica
May 07, 2011 Jessica rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: horse lovers
Recommended to Jessica by: me
See the first book in the series for a full review.
Victoria
Oh my gosh, I cannot believe how boring this book was.
Victoria
In this book it's hard to know what's going on.
Aisha
Oct 05, 2010 Aisha marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
i like it alot
  • The Black Stallion and the Shape-Shifter (Black Stallion Retuns, #3)
  • Born to Trot
  • Wonder's Yearling (Thoroughbred, #6)
Walter Farley's love for horses began when he was a small boy living in Syracuse, New York, and continued as he grew up in New York City, where his family moved. Young Walter never owned a horse. But unlike most city children, he had little trouble gaining firsthand experience with horses-his uncle was a professional horseman, and Walter spent much of his time at the stables with him.

"He wasn't th
More about Walter Farley...

The Black Stallion (1 - 10 of 24 books)
  • The Black Stallion (The Black Stallion, #1)
  • The Black Stallion Returns (The Black Stallion, #2)
  • Son of the Black Stallion (The Black Stallion, #3)
  • The Island Stallion (The Black Stallion, #4)
  • The Black Stallion and Satan (The Black Stallion, #5)
  • The Black Stallion's Blood Bay Colt (The Black Stallion, #6)
  • The Island Stallion's Fury (The Black Stallion, #7)
  • The Black Stallion's Filly (The Black Stallion, #8)
  • The Black Stallion Revolts (The Black Stallion, #9)
  • The Black Stallion's Sulky Colt (The Black Stallion, #10)
The Black Stallion (The Black Stallion, #1) The Black Stallion Returns (The Black Stallion, #2) The Island Stallion (The Black Stallion, #4) Man O'War Son of the Black Stallion (The Black Stallion, #3)