The Black Stallion Challenged

The Black Stallion Challenged (The Black Stallion #16)

3.99 of 5 stars 3.99  ·  rating details  ·  1,379 ratings  ·  18 reviews
The Black Stallion is the fastest horse in America and he and his jockey, Alec Ramsay, are training for a big race. Suddenly there comes a new challenger: Flame! An unproven racer, the Island Stallion can run like the wind and his jockey, Steve Duncan, knows that Flame will give the Black the race of his life. But what neither Steve nor Alec know, is that these two stallio...more
Published September 28th 2011 by Yearling (first published 1951)

Wendy
Melody
Oh, Henry, you cranky old geezer! Oh, Steve, you hot-headed young punk! Oh, Alec, you wise-beyond-your-years paragon! Oh, Flame, you wild and unreliable stallion full of beauty and heart! Oh, Black, there aren't any words big enough for you, you are Horse Incarnate.

Which is to say, yes, more of the same, but who can quibble with races like these?
Charles
Finally a horse that can give the Black Stallion a run for his money. The ending had to work out the way it did.
Bonnie
A far more realistic storyline than The Black Stallion and Flame, with those two facing off in a horse race. Other than the fact that Flame's owner, Steve, becomes a total pod person, I liked this one. I was, however, rather amused by the exclamation point in the title. Why?
Josh
"The Black Stallion Challenged" was a book that got intense in some parts but for the most part this book was not a very good book. The book was for much younger kids and the only reason I picked this book was because I thought I would still like the series. This book had a very limited vocabulary and also had a corny ending which I did not like. Overall this book is one of the worst books I have ever read and I will not read another one in this series again.
Sharon
I raced through this series as a child. Of course, "The Black Stallion" was my favorite, and I read it a few times, but I waited eagerly for any of the books to return to my branch of the library so I could snap them up.
Jessica Timmons
It was an extremely good book. But what I didn't like is Steve Duncan's character was changed into an arrogant snotty kid. He was definately different in this book then all the others. I highly recommend the book still.
Lori
The first book was the story of a boy and a horse, but the series grows with books on similar themes of overcoming adversity and animal/human bonding. Loved them as a kid.
Jackie Krasuski
There was not a Black Stallion book that I could ever put down. The stories are the best.
Lynne
Jan 15, 2009 Lynne marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Not the edition shown- older Random House 1964? paperback edition; correct ISBN
Tara Hall
My favorite Black Stallion book. I always loved the horse Flame.
Kaitlyn
Such an amazing tale. Sadly it's the last book Flame appears in.
Jessica
Apr 27, 2011 Jessica rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: horse lovers
Recommended to Jessica by: me
See the first book in the series for a full review.
Bea
Decently written, good pace, some predictability.
Michael
Was an okay book!
Eleisha Luck
Aug 21, 2007 Eleisha Luck rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
awesome book
Guen
Guen marked it as to-read
Jul 23, 2014
Marlin Swartzentruber
Marlin Swartzentruber marked it as to-read
Jul 18, 2014
brianna
brianna marked it as to-read
Jul 16, 2014
Rebecca Adelson
Rebecca Adelson marked it as to-read
Shelby
Shelby added it
Madison
Madison marked it as to-read
  • San Domingo: The Medicine Hat Stallion
  • The Black Stallion's Shadow (Black Stallion Returns, #1)
  • Camp Saddlebrook (Thoroughbred, #28)
Walter Farley's love for horses began when he was a small boy living in Syracuse, New York, and continued as he grew up in New York City, where his family moved. Young Walter never owned a horse. But unlike most city children, he had little trouble gaining firsthand experience with horses-his uncle was a professional horseman, and Walter spent much of his time at the stables with him.

"He wasn't th...more
More about Walter Farley...
The Black Stallion (The Black Stallion, #1) The Black Stallion Returns (The Black Stallion, #2) The Island Stallion (The Black Stallion, #4) Man O'War The Black Stallion and Satan (The Black Stallion, #5)

“You need luck to keep going. It takes more than skill to stay alive.” 3 likes