Start by marking “Silver Tower” as Want to Read:
Silver Tower

Dale Brown

Silver Tower

3.9  ·  Rating Details ·  1,421 Ratings  ·  33 Reviews

Iran has been invaded. And America responds in a grueling counterattack by air, by sea - and by a brave new technology that will redefine war. The most sophisticated laser defense system ever. It is called Silver Tower. And it will change the balance of world power forever.

Audio Cassette, Abridged, 0 pages
Published October 25th 1988 by Simon & Schuster Audio (first published May 2nd 1988)

To ask other readers questions about Silver Tower, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Silver Tower

Ken Doggett
Jul 24, 2015 Ken Doggett rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was published in 1989, so imagine a crisis in the Middle East, a Soviet invasion of Iran, and a clash of US and Soviet naval forces. The US has the Nimitz battle group stationed in the Arabian Sea, the Soviets have the Bresnev battle group in the adjacent Persian Gulf, separated by the Straits of Hormuz. Imagine further a US space station, the "Silver Tower," and a new beam weapon needing to be tested for the Strategic Defense Initiative (Star Wars) program. The space station is also c ...more
Nick
Sep 27, 2014 Nick rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Hey, remember in 1993 when Gorbachov was overthrown by the Evil Russian Communists (TM) and a moderate, pro-USA faction took over in Iran and we all flew in our spaceplanes to our armored space stations full of lasers and particle beams? Good times. That's the setting for this enjoyably dated techno-trash, centered around the titular Silver Tower, a space station the US uses to keep an eye on the Soviet invasion of Iran, until it comes under spaceplane attack from the resurgent Commies. I'm sure ...more
Christopher Backa
Sep 14, 2015 Christopher Backa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
One of my favorite dale brown novels. Gravity meets world war 3
Joan Huehnerhoff
Dec 01, 2013 Joan Huehnerhoff rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a great book to read on vacation. written in the 80s, it gives a perspective of the Middle East a couple decades ago. It was a good read.
Charles
Jul 27, 2009 Charles rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Charles by: Karen Christiansen
George
Aug 31, 2015 George rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audible
This book ought to be tossed out and started over. It's set in the 1980s and features a Soviet invasion of Iran and a US space ship in (scientifically impossible) orbit. POTUS micromanages worse than LBJ and Obama together. I think that the tactics might be all right; that's Brown's forte and the interaction of the missile with it's guide rails is discussed. I guess that only Navys fight wars for Brown. The crowning incredulity was when SECDEF called a 1 star general in orbit -- promoted him to ...more
Ed
Non-Series - Military fiction - Four years from now, the space-based defense system known as ""Star Wars'' will have become a reality, the shuttle program will be back on track, and the U.S.S.R., poised to invade Iran and install a puppet regime, will encounter unexpected resistance from the United States by air, sea and outer space. Aboard the Armstrong space station, tenacious young scientist Ann Page is installing Skybolt, the laser system she's invented, and clashing with the station's gruff ...more
Scott
Sep 23, 2015 Scott rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Written in 1989, Silver Tower, Dale Brown tells the story of a Middle East war between the United States and the Soviet Union. The critical weapon used by the United States is a military space station. Even though the story is not plausible, I thought it would at least be interesting. It was not. The characters are flawed and the story is just plain stupid. The inside cover said the book was exciting and riveting. I wonder if the reviewers even read the book. Dale Brown is another author I can t ...more
Nathan
Jan 17, 2012 Nathan rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Pesky Soviets try to pull a swifty in the Middle East, but are confounded by the swish new American space station with its SDI weaponry and super radars. Unlikely tale of superpower confrontation that does not escalate. Oh, and the daftest love dialoge this side of Attack of the Clones. Rated PG for war violence. 2/5
Mark
Jul 11, 2014 Mark rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
The characters are shallow and unbelievable while the science is impossible (a geosynchronous orbit about the north pole???). And the plot was dependent on this impossibility!? Just avoid this one and stick to the Flight of the Old Dog and its sequels.
Eric
Jun 16, 2009 Eric rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Another pretty good book by Dale Brown. He keeps the action moving along and the story is an easy read. It has just enough characters to make the story interesting without having so many that it is hard to keep track of everyone.
William
Jun 08, 2015 William rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, dad, thriller
A great action thriller by Dale Brown. I've read many of his other books but somehow missed this (his second book). Political intrigue. Geopolitical conflicts. Space. Technology. And even a touch of a love story (however contrived). I thoroughly enjoyed this book.
Richard
Dec 30, 2008 Richard rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great thoughts about what a space-based platform could do for military command and control. Multiple AWACS-like (Boeing 707 radar airframe) platforms in space could significantly change the face of defense and warfare.
Walt
Apr 22, 2014 Walt rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
After a great rookie effort with Flight of the Old Dog, Brown falls into the trap which crushed many a technothriller author; boring politics, and too much droning techno babble. Skip it.
lewis king
The author writes well but any person with the smallest bit of knowledge of how the military functioned at the time or their capabilities would find the book laughable.
Barbara
Plenty of techno-babble. Cartoon characters. Outdated politics. Iffy science. Sorry I started it but had to finish to see what the future would be like in 2002.
Shanyn
May 04, 2009 Shanyn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is my favorite book.
Tim Heywood
Jun 03, 2008 Tim Heywood rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
first Dale Brown I read. easier to follow than Clancy (not as in depth detail). Good story overall, action throughout.
Tanner
A sci fi futuristic and quite possible with current technology its so facinating that the "star wars" of the cold war could become real who knows
Jim
Feb 19, 2008 Jim rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
"USA prevails in Soviet conflict over the Persian Gulf through the first use of space station based high-energy weapons."
Oliver Rabacal
Apr 09, 2013 Oliver Rabacal rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
When I read this one it was similar plot to Payne Harrison Storming Intrepid. Space techno thriller.
Justin Miller
This was a little different than Dale Brown's other books as it focused on space shuttles instead of war planes. There were parts that really had me hooked but I also found some slow spots.
Gordon
Aug 10, 2008 Gordon rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This is one Dale Browns few "one off" books and I can see why. The characters are shallow, the storyline flounders and the action is sporatic and poorly written.

Definately not Dale Browns best.
Jerrod
Nov 13, 2008 Jerrod rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Did not like this one. Story and characters were not believalbe. The science character is one of those "I developed this super weapon for the government to be used for good ONLY". Right.
Thomas Roth
May 26, 2016 Thomas Roth rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
For a book written in the 80's this sure is as up to date as possible. Very impressive.
Stephen
Not the most enthralling book, but man did I learn alot about space travel.
Charles
Jun 17, 2010 Charles rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of military fiction
The story was a little harder to follow than most of dale browns books. but hard to put down once you get about halfway into it
Mikethecripple
Oct 29, 2012 Mikethecripple rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
another bloody good read
Anurag
Jun 12, 2016 Anurag rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of my first books in the SF genre, got me hooked. Brilliant storytelling, orgasmic climax.
Jake
May 06, 2011 Jake rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Audio Book. Tried to sound too technical and came across kind of stupid. A space station gets hit with a ridiculous number of missiles and explosions and still survives. It was a bit much.
  • The Minotaur (Jake Grafton #4)
  • Vortex
  • Code of Honor (Scott Dixon, #5)
  • Winter Hawk (Mitchell Gant, #3)
  • Kilo Class (Admiral Arnold Morgan, #2)
  • Straits of Power (Jeffrey Fuller, #5)
  • Force of Eagles (Jack Locke, #2)
  • Phantom Leader (Wings of War, #3)
Former U.S. Air Force captain Dale Brown is the superstar author of 25 consecutive New York Times best-selling military-action-aviation adventure novels: FLIGHT OF THE OLD DOG (1987), SILVER TOWER (1988), DAY OF THE CHEETAH (1989), HAMMERHEADS (1990), SKY MASTERS (1991), NIGHT OF THE HAWK (1992), CHAINS OF COMMAND (1993), STORMING HEAVEN (1994), SHADOWS OF STEEL (1996) and FATAL TERRAIN (1997), TH ...more
More about Dale Brown...