Start by marking “What Are You Afraid Of?: Stories about Phobias” as Want to Read:
What Are You Afraid Of?: Stories about Phobias

What Are You Afraid Of?: Stories about Phobias

3.46  ·  Rating Details  ·  123 Ratings  ·  20 Reviews
Renowned anthologist Donald R. Gallo calls on eleven top authors to explore what happens when fear takes on a mind of its own.

Everyone is afraid of something. But for those who have phobias, that fear is exaggerated and their reactions are extreme: the heart races, sweat beads up on skin, the eyes narrow, and the throat tightens. The ten stories in this fascinating antholo
Published July 11th 2006 by Candlewick Press

To ask other readers questions about What Are You Afraid Of?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about What Are You Afraid Of?

Esmeralda
Feb 09, 2016 Esmeralda rated it it was amazing
Well I have cynophobia that is the fear of dogs. Or maybe I have zoophobia because I am afraid of most animals but not as much as dogs. I really enjoyed this book the whole way through. It gave you the personal view of the character who had a fear. I can relate to the one when the guy was scared of cats and the guy who was afraid of public speaking. This book is amazing! It's good to know that their is other people out their just like you. I actually picked this book up second hand and of course ...more
Melissa Dwyer
Nov 03, 2015 Melissa Dwyer rated it liked it
Originally rated G by Marta Wilkin
I found this book to be an interesting mix of short stories, all with teenagers as the main character, and all characters having a phobia. As stated in the book, none are the usual fear of spiders and snakes. Most of the authors are well known YA authors. I wish I could recommend this book for middle as well as high schools, however, because of one story, “No Clown Zone,” by Gail Giles (pp 124-142); my recommendation will be only for high school students. The st
Michelle
Apr 16, 2011 Michelle rated it liked it
What I expected from this book before I read it:
A therapist's discussion of various phobias and client's experiences with them throughout therapy. I was hoping to gain some insight about my own phobia (swimming in deep water) and gain a better understanding about the roots of phobias (and how to potentially treat them).

What I actually got from this book:
An anthology of stories by teen fiction writers, each story was narrated from the perspective of the person with the phobia. Out of the 10, a
Alice Zhou
Mar 15, 2015 Alice Zhou rated it liked it
Pretty interesting read. I would recommend it to anyone who's ever found psychological disorders/phobias interesting. I like that it was a nice mix of stories (the short story format is new to me). The last story had a really cool idea, would have liked to see it expanded further (maybe even into a full book? :P), but I guess that's just the nature of good short stories! Leaves you wanting more.
Sofia
Jul 22, 2014 Sofia rated it really liked it
Wow that last story... I really enjoyed this collection of short stories. Each was unique and gave different perspectives towards phobias and the impacts upon an individual. Really helpful for my research and an overall really interesting read.
Rose
Oct 14, 2014 Rose rated it liked it
The last story was the best, some of the others were okay.
Cody Whittington
Jan 13, 2016 Cody Whittington rated it it was amazing
Since I have no known phobias, the authors did a good job at giving insight to the feelings of someone experiencing a phobia attack. It also sheds light onto some of the lesser known phobias that do exist. Great read.
Alysha
Sep 29, 2014 Alysha rated it liked it
The last story, Fear-for-All by Neal Shusterman was by far my favorite. I would give that one 5 stars. The collection overall though was interesting, but just not as memorable as the last story.
Tara
"This book exists because another one doesn't."
Love that they saved the best story for last...a boy who has no fear sent to a school filled with children suffering from every phobia imaginable. When he touches them, they relinquish their phobias to him and they are free. So fascinating! Definitely the one story in the book I would love to see expanded into a novel. Couldn't help picturing Hogwarts in my mind with the headmistress being a wicked form of McGonagle.
Margaret Palladino
Feb 05, 2008 Margaret Palladino rated it liked it
so far weird book.... but strangly good... i think??
well the first story was about a kid who was afraid of doors.... and the 2nd kid was afraid of streets and couldn't step off the sidewalk...
i'm only on the 2nd story but so far they really hold my interest

* update*
ok so some of these stories were odd but did you know there is such thing as being scared of being scared??? who knew????
if i could i would give it 3 and 1/2
Rdpoll
Dec 28, 2011 Rdpoll rated it really liked it
I'm not usually a fan of short stories, but I enjoyed this book very much and read it in just a couple of hours. The last story- Fear for All- was very enjoyable. It was like getting a preview of various writers, which just leads to more books to explore.
Kemanne Smith
Oct 02, 2013 Kemanne Smith rated it really liked it
I think it was a interesting book, I learned about a lot of different kind of phobias that I did not know people would even have. I think I would recommend this book to people who have phobias of there own and can learn about others
Tor
Sep 22, 2011 Tor rated it liked it
From reading this book I have decided that I don't like short stories very much.
And I can't relate very much because I don't think I have a phobia.
I enjoyed the story at the end(Best for last) because, until its end, I could relate.
Stephanie Sesic
This is a collection of short stories about phobias, edited by Ohio native and current resident Don Gallo, who I just met at Kent State University's Reading & Writing Festival for area 7th & 8th graders. Nice guy.
Moses
Jun 17, 2008 Moses rated it it was ok
Shelves: books-of-07-08
Half of the book is mediocre, but at least there are some decent stories mixed in. I still forgot about reading the book after three days, so it couldn't have been very good.
Betsy Jibson
Apr 12, 2008 Betsy Jibson rated it it was ok
Good collection of short stories from noted authors.
Edy Gies
Jan 06, 2014 Edy Gies rated it it was ok
This was an interesting group of stories.
Robin
Dec 06, 2009 Robin rated it really liked it
really great stories for people with phobias
TheLibraryOfSarah
Recommends it for: JF Gal
Shelves: juniorfiction
Gallo, Donald R.
Jedidiah
Jedidiah marked it as to-read
Apr 29, 2016
Ayesha Iqbal
Ayesha Iqbal marked it as to-read
Apr 27, 2016
Esmee
Esmee marked it as to-read
Apr 20, 2016
Carol
Carol marked it as to-read
Apr 15, 2016
Sean
Sean marked it as to-read
Apr 05, 2016
Natalia È
Natalia È marked it as to-read
Apr 05, 2016
Christie
Christie marked it as to-read
Apr 01, 2016
Tsetsenbileg
Tsetsenbileg marked it as to-read
Mar 29, 2016
Mari
Mari added it
Mar 24, 2016
  • Dirty Laundry: Stories About Family Secrets
  • Slot Machine (Elvin, #1)
  • Falling Hard: 100 Love Poems by Teenagers
  • If I Were An Evil Overlord
  • Mini Weapons of Mass Destruction: Build Implements of Spitball Warfare
  • Half a Creature from the Sea: A Life in Stories
  • Hi I'm a Social Disease: Horror Stories
  • Poetry Speaks Who I Am with CD: Poems of Discovery, Inspiration, Independence, and Everything Else (A Poetry Speaks Experience)
  • Shelf Life: Stories by the Book
  • Such a Pretty Face: Short Stories About Beauty
  • I Had Seen Castles
  • The First Time
  • The Snake Pit
"Stories about journeys have interested readers since the beginning of language," says Donald R. Gallo of DESTINATION UNEXPECTED, his critically acclaimed anthology of short stories by prominent writers of young adult fiction. "Arriving at the destination is the goal, certainly, but the experiences during the journey itself are what transform the character. The most important experiences are often ...more
More about Donald R. Gallo...