Start by marking “Justice: Stories” as Want to Read:
Justice: Stories

Justice: Stories

3.74 of 5 stars 3.74  ·  rating details  ·  312 ratings  ·  32 reviews
Larry Watson's bestselling novel Montana 1948 was acclaimed as a "work of art" (Susan Petro, San Francisco Chronicle), a prize-winning evocation of a time, a place, and a family. Justice is the stunning prequel that illuminates the Hayden clan's early years, and the circumstances that led to the events of Montana 1948. With the precision of a master storyteller, Watson mov ...more
Published September 13th 2011 by Milkweed Editions (first published December 16th 1994)

To ask other readers questions about Justice, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Justice

Richard Reviles Censorship Always in All Ways
Rating: 4* of five

The Publisher Says: Larry Watson's bestselling novel Montana 1948 was acclaimed as "a work of art" (Susan Petro, San Francisco Chronicle), a prize-winning evocation of a time, a place, and a family. Now Watson returns to Montana 1948's vast landscape with a stunning prequel that illuminates the Hayden clan's early years and the circumstances that led to the events of Montana 1948.

In Montana, the Hayden name is law. For the Hayden boys, Wesley and Frank, their legacy carries an
Mmars
Having just finished Watson's Montana 1948 and wanting more, more, more of that book and its characters, I jumped right into Justice. Therefore, it is impossible for me to opine on this as a stand alone book of stories. I do recommend reading the opening tale in which the brothers, Frank and Wesley, and two friends as teens go on a hunting trip. Because of a blizzard they take motel room, and I'll just say, misbehave. They end up in a jail outside their sheriff's fathers jurisdiction. The ending ...more
Ron
This is a series of seven interconnected short stories that's also a prequel to the author's novel "Montana 1948." Set in the far northeastern corner of Montana, across the state line from North Dakota and just south of the Canadian border, these stories cover four brief decades from the area's first settling in the late nineteenth century to the mid-1930s. Appearing in all of them are members of the Hayden family, chiefly father Julian and son Wesley, who are each employed as the county's sheri ...more
Chris White
Well-written from sentence to sentence but mostly pointless as a book or as a story, at least unless you read the previously released and award-winning sequel, Montana 1948.

Watson has chops, for sure, but this volume is just a collection of vignettes that serve only to flesh out that previously published award-winner's details. I closed the back cover of the book a little frustrated, saying, "Well, that sucks. Too artsy-phartsy for me."

I gave it two stars because at least these little episodes
Anna
So far I am enjoying this one. I did go directly to the library to find it when I finished 'Montana, 1948' because I enjoyed that one so much. Larry Watson is really great at character development. This is a preclude to that one, so it is interesting to read further about the characters from this small Montana town.

Last night I finished this one. I'm surprised it took me so long, I read it when I had some free time. The book that this is a preclude to is 'Montana 1948.' That one was an incredib
Joe Stack
To really appreciate this story, the reader should read "Montana 1948" first because the stories in this book are the backstories to the family in "Montana 1948." As I have found with other stories by Larry Watson, he writes beautifully. Every word counts and drives the stories forward. He is a master wordsmith. These are stories for a reader who just likes the written word, and wants to learn more about the human condition.
Artie
I give the first two stories 2 stars and the last few 4 stars. Having loved Montana 1948 I thought I would give this prequel a shot. The first two stories added a little extra characterization to Frank, and Julian Hayden. Unfortunately these first stories were exposition heavy and a little hard to get into for me. The last few stories, especially the one about the deputy Len were excellent. Len was always a character I wanted to know more about, and Watson didn't disappoint with his story.

To fin
Sarah Honenberger
Mar 08, 2008 Sarah Honenberger rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Age 18 and older
After reading Montana 1948 years ago, I picked this book up at a library used book sale in Palmetto, Florida during my writer's retreat. While the heart-pounding tension in Watson's scenes is here also, in this book written earlier, but set later, the main character, Wesley, is not so likeable. In Montana 1948 he struggles with issues of prejudice and loyalty to family with a purity of boyhood idealism. In Justice, a series of stories from different character's points of view over a span of 20 y ...more
Melanie
Just finished "Montana 1948" and continued backwards with this prequel. Not as impactful as that book but still great writing and superb character development.
Jackson
A solid, worthwhile prequel to one of my all-time favorite novellas.
Book Concierge
This prequel to "Montana 1948" helps give us the background on the Hayden family and how they came to be the adults we find in that other work.

This book is more of a young adult novel about the relationship between fathers and sons, and between brothers. There is some great dialogue. And Watson has a talent for describing time & place. But, in my opinion, "Montana 1948" is the better book.

Chicklit
I bought this book because I loved Watson's first book, Montana 1948. At first glance, this book appeared to be a prequel, but now that I'm halfway through I see that it's so much more than that. The author carefully crafts each character from the Hayden family through vignettes of their lives on a Montana ranch. Each story is beautifully written. I love visiting with these characters again.
Ann
Finished this book this evening, years after reading Watson's Montana 1948. Justice is a prequel to that novel. It is told in choppy episodes, developing the family character that defines Montana 1948. The novel does not stand on its own, and even though I enjoyed Montana 1948, I would have liked the author to develop more of the story line in Justice.
Philk81
Great book and definitely worth reading as a prequel to Montana 1948, which is outstanding. The author has a fine style of capturing the voices of the Hayden family, their relations and how they came to be.
I read American Boy first, which is one slice of life/coming of age tale and got me hooked on Larry Watson.
Amy
This prequel to Montana 1948 (written after it was published) provided some much useful background/perspective to the characters whose POV weren't given in Montana 1948. I had wanted to know some more about the characters, but these glimpses into their pasts helped develop them a bit more.
Bevjirwin
didn't really like this book. i read it because it was recommended after i'd liked a different book. not a good recommendation
Kristin Bonacci
Beautiful. These short stories were the back stories of the characters in Montana 1948. Anita and Cliff, this is worth reading. I loved every page.
Bachyboy
A series of episodes dating from 1899, this is the story of the Hayden family's early years. Each chapter deals with a different story and it all hangs together nicely. Not gripping but really well written. Set in Montana.
Matthew Ogborn
Slight in length but packed full of intriguing Montana characters to make it stand out. Jumps around in the time line without annoying and made me want to track down other books in the oeuvre.
Jeanne
Sparse, lean, lonely, broken, fragments...these are just some of the words that come to mind that describe not only the Montana landscape but the characters in Watson's short stories.
philip
Sequel to Montana, 1948. Contains short story for each of the characters in Montana, 1948. Offers additional insight, and fleshes out each character in the story.
Chamie
I listened to this on tape on the way back from Missouri and I liked it but I felt like the ending abruptly ended..I thought it was a little odd at the end.
Dorothy Staley
Tough story about good people and one very bad character. The difficulties of being a brother to someone who's other than he seems.
Frederick Bingham
Short stories about a clan in northeastern Montana. Stories of the frontier and life on the great plains between about 1890 and 1940.
Sskous
Larry Watson, who knows and loves Montana, writes sparse, harsh, and wonderful stories. Here is one excellent collection
Karen Rowland
first chapter was good, went downhill from there. Would not read again.
Natalee Thompson
This book was great, especially if you read or want to read Montana: 1948.
Lynn
Interlinked short stories of generations of Montana lawmen.
Carolyn
The prequel to Montana 1948 - probably should have skipped this one.
Sharon
Raw and rugged like much of Big Sky Country.
  • Crow Fair: Stories
  • Bright Flows the River
  • Gift of a Letter
  • Locked Rooms Open Doors: Diaries And Letters Of Anne Morrow Lindbergh, 1933-1935
  • Martha Stewart's Christmas: Entertaining, Decorating and Giving
  • Cooking with Master Chefs
  • Marcella Cucina
  • Love by the Glass: Tasting Notes from a Marriage
  • Among Friends
  • Ham Biscuits, Hostess Gowns, and Other Southern Specialties: An Entertaining Life (with Recipes)
  • Half in Love: Stories
  • The Patriot
  • Freedom
  • Endangered Pleasures: In Defense of Naps, Bacon, Martinis, Profanity, and Other Indulgences
  • House Thinking: A Room-By-Room Look at How We Live
  • Cultivating Delight: A Natural History of My Garden
  • The Sea Runners
  • Ship Fever: Stories
Larry Watson was born in 1947 in Rugby, North Dakota. He grew up in Bismarck, North Dakota, and was educated in its public schools. Larry married his high school sweetheart, Susan Gibbons, in 1967. He received his BA and MA from the University of North Dakota, his Ph.D. from the creative writing program at the University of Utah, and an honorary Doctor of Letters degree from Ripon College. Watson ...more
More about Larry Watson...
Montana 1948 American Boy Let Him Go White Crosses Orchard