Start by marking “Dragons of Summer Flame: Chronicles, Volume IV” as Want to Read:
Dragons of Summer Flame: Chronicles, Volume IV

Dragons of Summer Flame: Chronicles, Volume IV (Dragonlance: The Second Generation #2)

3.84  ·  Rating Details ·  12,803 Ratings  ·  157 Reviews
The War of the Lance is long over. The seasons come and go as the pendulum of the world swings. Now it is summer, a hot parched summer such as no one on Krynn has ever known. And an uneasy balance light and dark begins to shift.

Distraught by a grievous loss, the young mage Palin Majere seeks to enter the Abyss in search of his lost uncle, the infamous archmage Raistlin.

E
Published October 11th 2011 by Wizards of the Coast (first published 1995)

To ask other readers questions about Dragons of Summer Flame, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dragons of Summer Flame

Wyrmia
Jul 11, 2007 Wyrmia rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Greg Strandberg
Apr 25, 2013 Greg Strandberg rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
I was not a big fan of this series. I think it was just Wizards of the Coast looking for money, but that's just me. Heck, maybe I even got the dates wrong and Wizards wasn't in charge yet, but gosh darn, you'll do better reading some of the 80s Dragonlance books...you know this.
Elise
Aug 09, 2010 Elise rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Ever hear the phrase quit while you're ahead?

Hickman and Weis were well ahead. They should have quit.

Leaving the Companions to wander off into the sunset was the ending those characters deserved.

Finishing up with the whole 'The Gods didn't leave us, we left them.' idea was just fine.

They had written six really well done, beautifully characterized, interestingly plotted books, which dealt with religious and moral issues in a manner more subtle than most books aimed at younger adults tend to.

An
Miriam
Jun 06, 2008 Miriam rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
A rather unmemorable add-on to the original trilogy, moving on to the next generation.
T.C. Michael
When I was a kid, I read the original trilogy multiple times and loved them. In fact, those three original "Dragons of -" books were some of my all time favorite fantasy reads. To this day, they are still in my favorites, even over more modern fantasy. I loved them. Then I found out there was a third installment. I believe it was publishes in '95. I was so surprised that I immediately listened to the audio-book because I couldn't believe I missed it when I was younger. I was excited by this disc ...more
Deborah Sloan
Jul 03, 2010 Deborah Sloan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you haven't had a chance to read any of the DragonLance Saga books I highly suggest picking up a few. They are marvelous reading and this one Dragons of Summer Flame by Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman is one of the best because it ties so many of the others together for me. I truly enjoy this series and rank it along with Tolkiens greats for Fantasy.

Though some may find it strange for adults to invest time in this type of reading I see no reason to avoid a little adventure involving dragons,
Evan Leach
This was kind of a weird one. I thoroughly enjoyed the Chronicles trilogy as a kid, but remember being surprised to see that TSR had published a fourth installment to the series (this was a decade after book #3 first came out). Taking place many years after the Chronicles books, Dragons of Summer Flame brings back the beloved characters from the trilogy and...well, no spoilers, but it gets a little grim at times. Weis & Hickman are still able to tell a fun tale, but this wasn't quite up to t ...more
Jeremiah Hebert
Sep 24, 2007 Jeremiah Hebert rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ah memories. My first fantasy series (other than Tolkien), and man did it suck me in to the fantasy genre. An easy read- I would almost call it mansmut. Classic, reccomended.
Eco Imp
Mar 07, 2017 Eco Imp rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
The end of a grand adventure. I should have been the redhead.
Kevin Rubin
"Dragons of Summer Flame" is quite an improvement over earlier Dragonlance novels by Weiss & Hickman.

This one we mostly follow a couple of children of the main characters of past novels, Palin Majere, Steel Brightblade and Usha, along with an elderly Tasslehoff Burrfoot as it's their turn to save the world, and possibly more importantly, to learn more about themselves.

Palin has followed in his late uncle, Raistlin's footsteps and become a mage, only a white robed one instead of black, while
Christopher
Aug 02, 2012 Christopher rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Dru
Oct 12, 2012 Dru rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, gaming
This will be my same review for all 7 books in the original double-trilogy (plus the 7th add on years later).

There are few D&D novelizations out there that are really worth reading. Only two series have I loved, and the original 6 (became 7) "Dragonlance" novels are one of those great series. (Gord the Rogue is the other).

At first when I read this, I was a bit put off because the "Krynn" world did not "agree" with D&D. The gods had different names (Bahamut = Paladine, Tiamut = Takhesis)
 ☆☽ Ruth ☆☽
Most annoyingly I read this book out of sequence [assuming it came next after 'Dragons of Spring Dawning' - it doesn't there's another book in between :(]. However I was already familiar with the characters - and the world of Krynn is always enticing, so I was totally engrossed by the time I'd turned the first few pages. Margaret Weis has the ability to make me feel as if the place actually exists and that magic and dragons are quite normal :)
I would recommend reading the 'dragonlance' novels i
Keith Bryan
Jan 21, 2011 Keith Bryan rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
In short simple phraseology, this book was awful. Our beloved characters were stripped of their dignity and, in many cases, their lives in the most demoting ways imaginable. I agree with Wyrmia Bradley when she says ‘I was so upset by what happened to my beloved Dragonlance characters that I shaved my head and attacked someone's car with an umbrella.’

The authors really messed up on this one. A writer should never explain the end before the middle, which they did this time by killing our beloved
trina
Apr 24, 2011 trina rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: no one i know, bc my friends are assholes and would tease me to death. also they don't read.
Recommended to trina by: chris thomas
best, most coherent story of all the books in this series that i've read (only four! including this one). it's appalling how engrossing these books are. you start out thinking, 'pssht, nerds are so gullible! who could read this tripe?' and a few hours later, you're chewing your nails off, hoping the annoying kender doesn't die. or maybe that's just me. hi goodreads, my name is trina and i am a huge nerd.
Elar
Oct 31, 2014 Elar rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobooks
I probably should not have read/listened this book right after original trilogy, but as some sources named this as a sequel then I did not mind. Lot of time has passed and many new characters with very little background information to deal from beginning, but amazingly it did not matter in this book as tempo is passable and adventures constant. What I still cannot comprehend is writing style in which author just skips over some scenes and does little explanation afterwards what happened.
Elizabeth
This was probably the best one of the second generation but it just doesn't compete with the adventures of tanis and Flint.
Sean Campbell
Jun 11, 2011 Sean Campbell rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It deserves five, but I missed the old gang too much.

Plus, having a main character named Palin in this day and age... -1 star for lack of vision into the future, Weis and Hickman.
Sara
May 23, 2008 Sara rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dragonlance
SOOOOOOOOOO Good, definatley pick it up, buy it and read it. I enjoyed it so much. Slightly seperated from the Chronicles time frame however, it was extremely good and is a definite read.
Charlton
Apr 13, 2015 Charlton rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
I liked the book,but I was expecting more.It didn't get interesting until at least the half-way point.To me,the first half of the book was slow.
Lauren Scheier
This book was kind of pointless. There were some nice moments, but overall there was really no need for this story to exist.
Tim
Jan 04, 2012 Tim rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Vincent Patella
Dec 22, 2015 Vincent Patella rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
There’s not a lot of constructive things I can say after having read this novel, to be completely honest. On the other hand, If I am being completely honest, I can say, simply enough, that I had fun reading this book. I experienced a small bit of nostalgia which brought me back in time to the days when I would entirely devour fantasy novels such as this in a matter of double-digit hours. Having read this one purely for entertainment, I only have a few small observations to make detailing what m ...more
Sonjurae Cross
Mar 11, 2017 Sonjurae Cross rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Good read

This was a nice ending with most if the loose ends tied up neatly. I skipped the twins series so I was missing some background info, but still a satisfying finish
Christian Scala
Possa la tua Spada non spezzarsi mai.
Possa la tua armatura non arrugginire.
Possano le Tre Lune guidare la tua Magia.
Possano le tue Preghiere essere ascoltate.
Possa la tua Barba crescere lunga e folta.
Possa l'Impresa della tua Vita non esploderti mai sul viso.
Possa il tuo Zaino cantare sempre.
Possa la tua Terra Natale essere prospera.
Possano i Draghi volare sempre nei tuoi Sogni.

I draghi dell'estate di fuoco, in originale "Dragons of Summer Flame" scritto da Margaret Weis e Tracy Hickman e pubbli
Jamie Belanger
Entertaining story overall, and one I missed somehow. I grew up reading the Dragonlance books but never got to this one until this past week (even though I bought the paperback like five years ago), which made the leap to the War of Souls trilogy a little confusing for me. Now the timeline makes more sense. I really should re-read all the core novels in the proper order some day...

I did find some things frustrating with certain characters who should have had more important things to do in the st
Isaac Clarke
Feb 23, 2017 Isaac Clarke rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, dragonlance
სადაც კიდევ ერთხელ ჩანს თუ რაოდენ დიადი პერსონაჟია ტასი

თითქოს პალინი სტილი და აშა უნდა წყვეტდნენ ზოგადსაკაცობრიო მნიშვნელობის საკითხებს, მაინც ახალი თაობა და რამე, მაგრამ არა - იმას რომ ანსალონი არსებობს კაცობრიობა კიდევ ერთხელ უნდა უმადლოდეს პირადად ტასს.

და ფინალი, ფინალი არის საოცრად ამაღელვებელი ;( ცრემლებს ძლივს ვიკავებდი.

James
Sep 23, 2008 James rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Jeff
Jul 01, 2013 Jeff rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
If its possible to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory, this book represents the single most amazing turn about ever.

Dragonlance was special. It changed people. When it came out, it moved people to care for the characters and started a revolution in fantasy literature. Sadly, it has not aged well and by todays standards, Dragonlance is a curiosity to be viewed as important once, but surpassed many times over since.

and then this appeared. like some steaming pile of dung, this final insult to a
Eddie Black
Feb 03, 2012 Eddie Black rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I had just re-read the Chronicles, books 1-3, again for the first time since High School. I forgot how good those books really are. So when I saw this in the store I had to jump right in.

The first chapter is a little slow to get going. I forced myself to keep going. And to be sure, there are some paragraphs here and there that are too much background information that I just covered reading the other three books. So I skimmed them.

But this book, with some of its pages being slow to trudge throu
  • Tides of Blood (Dragonlance: The Minotaur Wars, #2)
  • The Day of the Tempest (Dragonlance: Dragons of a New Age, #2)
  • The Medusa Plague (Dragonlance: Defenders of Magic, #2)
  • Firstborn (Dragonlance:  Elven Nations, #1)
  • The Measure and the Truth (Dragonlance: Rise of Solamnia, #3)
  • Dalamar the Dark (Dragonlance: Classics, #2)
  • Dark Heart (Dragonlance: Meetings Sextet, #3)
  • Galen Beknighted (Dragonlance: Heroes, #6, Heroes II, #3)
  • Hammer and Axe (Dragonlance: Dwarven Nations, #2)
Fantasy novelist who, along with Tracy Hickman, was one of the original creators of the Dragonlance game world. I've written numerous novels and short stories set in the world of Krynn, as well as series in other, original worlds. These include: Darksword, Rose of the Prophet, Star of the Guardians, DeathGate, Dragonvarld, Sovereign Stone, Dragonships, and the Dragon Brigade. I also wrote two para ...more
More about Margaret Weis...

Dragonlance: The Second Generation (4 books)
  • The Second Generation (Dragonlance: The Second Generation, #1)
  • Los Caballeros de Takhisis (El Ocaso de los Dragones #1)
  • La guerra de los dioses (El Ocaso De Los Dragones #2)

“I have sinned enough against the world. Teaching magic to a kender would ensure my damnation. —Raistlin Majere” 28 likes
“I wanted to tell her that sometimes, in my long sleep, I dreamt of her” 7 likes