Start by marking “The Ultimate Werewolf” as Want to Read:
The Ultimate Werewolf

The Ultimate Werewolf (Ultimate Monster)

3.6 of 5 stars 3.60  ·  rating details  ·  116 ratings  ·  8 reviews
Original anthology of 20 werewolf stories, two (the Ellison and the Niven) reprints, with an introduction by Harlan Ellison and a filmography by Leonard Wolf. This is being published to commemorate the 50th anniversary of the 1941 Universal film.

Crying "Wolf!" · Harlan Ellison
Adrift Just Off the Islets of Langerhans: Latitude 38 54' N, Longitude 77 00' 13" W · Harlan Ellis
Published September 1st 1991 by Dell (first published 1991)

To ask other readers questions about The Ultimate Werewolf, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Ultimate Werewolf

Moon Called by Patricia BriggsShiver by Maggie StiefvaterBitten by Kelley ArmstrongCry Wolf by Patricia BriggsBlood and Chocolate by Annette Curtis Klause
Werewolf Books
246th out of 572 books — 766 voters
Bitten by Kelley ArmstrongCry Wolf by Patricia BriggsMoon Called by Patricia BriggsShiver by Maggie StiefvaterNightshade by Andrea Cremer
best werewolf books
160th out of 191 books — 193 voters

More lists with this book...

Jillyn
Over all, I found this anthology to be a hit and miss collection of stories. I did enjoy the many different points of views on lycanthropes, but I often had to force myself through stories. I enjoyed stories such as "Moonlight on the Gazebo" and "Pure Silver". However, stories like "Wolf, Iron, and Moth" and "There's a Wolf in My Time Machine" just left me bored, not to mention the not so infrequent spelling errors ("she shook her heard", for instance). I understand everyone makes mistakes, but ...more
Wendy
Well-crafted stories exploring the werewolf mythology. I particularly liked Angels' Moon by Kathe Koja, South of Oregon City by Pat Murphy, Pure Silver by A. C. Crispin and Kathleen O'Malley, and Partners by Robert J. Randisi.
Otis Campbell
Oh the werewolf, oh the werewolf
Comes stepping along
He dont even break the branches where hes gone
Once I saw him in the moonlight, when the bats were a flying
I saw the werewolf, and the werewolf was crying
Stone Lee
"Angels' Moon," by Kathe Koja, is the tale of a man's journey to death through a madness that could happen to anyone, and has happened to many. Told from his perspective, the short story, quite readable and somewhat educational, acquaints us with his affliction as it drags him away from humanity to a common, canine ending. An enjoyable read.
Christina
Read this one a long time ago back when I decided the werewolf was my favorite paranormal being. And now in this bleak age of Twilight and vampire galore, I think that needs to be said.

Over all some nice variations on werewolf short stories.
Ana
This book was a very fun read. Lots of great unique werewolf stories. Some were a little strange, but I love that there were so many different kinds, types, and points of view.
Kristine
Some of the stories were great, some were ok, and there were a couple that definitely weren't my favorites, but all around a good anthology.
Jax
Nov 09, 2011 Jax marked it as own-read
Shelves: fantasy, wolves
Short Stories -- Read 1 so far.
Joshua Eudaly
Joshua Eudaly marked it as to-read
Jul 28, 2015
Christina Browne
Christina Browne marked it as to-read
Jul 08, 2015
Grimalkin Black
Grimalkin Black marked it as to-read
Jul 07, 2015
Rhonda L.
Rhonda L. marked it as to-read
Jun 19, 2015
Victor
Victor marked it as to-read
Jun 13, 2015
Stefan Grønvik
Stefan Grønvik marked it as to-read
Jun 11, 2015
Mickslibrarian
Mickslibrarian marked it as to-read
Jun 10, 2015
Stephanie
Stephanie marked it as to-read
May 29, 2015
Chuck Childers
Chuck Childers marked it as to-read
May 29, 2015
Matthew
Matthew marked it as to-read
May 25, 2015
Jim Walker
Jim Walker marked it as to-read
May 10, 2015
Nika Won
Nika Won marked it as to-read
May 09, 2015
Elle
Elle marked it as to-read
Mar 28, 2015
David
David added it
Mar 26, 2015
A.E.
A.E. marked it as to-read
Mar 16, 2015
Jeff Rausch
Jeff Rausch is currently reading it
Mar 02, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
What's The Name o...: Short Story: Woman turning into an abusive guy [s] 5 51 Dec 18, 2013 07:40PM
  • The Mammoth Book of Wolf Men
  • Gallery of Horror
  • The End of the Line: An Anthology of Underground Horror
  • Whisper Of Blood
  • Stalkers
  • The Werewolf of Paris
  • Cutting Edge
  • Dark Delicacies (Dark Delicacies, #1)
  • Curse of the Full Moon: A Werewolf Anthology
  • Black Butterflies
  • Night Visions 5
  • Masterpieces of Terror and the Supernatural
  • Shudder Again: 22 Tales of Sex and Horror
Byron Preiss was the president of Byron Preiss Visual Publications and Ibooks, and was recognized as a pioneer in digital publishing. He was among the first publishers to release CD-ROM's and electronic books.

Born in Brooklyn, N.Y., Preiss graduated from the University of Pennsylvania in 1972 and earned a master's degree in communications from Stanford University. He produced The Words of Gandhi,
More about Byron Preiss...

Ultimate Monster (7 books)
  • The Ultimate Alien
  • The Ultimate Dracula: New Stories by Some of the World's Leading Authors
  • The Ultimate Dragon
  • The Ultimate Frankenstein
  • The Ultimate Witch
  • The Ultimate Zombie
Dragonworld The Ultimate Dracula: New Stories by Some of the World's Leading Authors The Illustrated Roger Zelazny Weird Heroes Volume 1 The Ultimate Frankenstein