Start by marking “The Moneychangers” as Want to Read:
The Moneychangers

The Moneychangers

3.8 of 5 stars 3.80  ·  rating details  ·  2,610 ratings  ·  61 reviews
The "New York Times" Number One bestseller from 1976 is back in this great new package. As the day begins at First Mercantile American Bank, so do the high-stake risks, the public scandals, and the private affairs. It is the inside world where secret million-dollar deals are made, manipulated, and sweetened with sex by the men and women who play to win.
Published November 1st 2001 by Berkley (first published January 1st 1975)

To ask other readers questions about The Moneychangers, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Moneychangers

The Godfather by Mario PuzoStrong Medicine by Arthur HaileyThe Firm by John GrishamThe Plantation by George McNeillThe Man From St. Petersburg by Ken Follett
the word
14th out of 55 books — 13 voters

More lists with this book...

How does this man do it. Take an industry learn it and then churn out a story. His pace is not adrenaline pumping nor is there any dead zones. It just flows so smoothly that once you start at page one it just turns until you find yourself staring at the last page.

Money Changers is about the banking business, especially corporate banking. It gives an insight into the world of lending and borrowing works, with a great interplay between profit and ethics.Bankers indeed never seem to have time for
My second-favourite Hailey. Someone like me, who finds business- , finance- , stock market-related subjects boring, couldn't put it down. Simply brilliant!
I am somewhat irritated that the villain is an uptight
Episcopalian, but at least Hailey does make him struggle
with his conscience.
The book did give interesting insights into the moral
issues of American banking about 25 years ago.
I was originally led to read it by the opening pages
which set up an interesting quasi-locked-room back theft, but it was solved early on and became peripheral to the main plot.
This is another gem of a book from Arthur Hailey about Banking and how Banks function. When I read this book, Banks were just boring place for me where you go to put your money or take it out. In his usual style and very well researched book “The Moneychangers” he opened my eyes to functioning of Banks. The story has all the drama and feel of a thriller but at the same time teaches you a lot.

The protagonist of the book is running for the top position at the Bank an
Whenever I read a novel by Arthur Hailey, I’m amazed at the amount of research that has gone into writing it. He has written books on power plants, airports, hotels and even doctors - every book seems to be written from an insider’s point of view. This book is no different.

This book is about an American bank First Mercantile American in 1970s. At the start of the book, Ben Rosseli, the president of the bank announces that he has incurable lung cancer and will die soon. Consequently, the two vic
Irisha Starodubtseva
Reading the Moneychaners is like riding a rolleroaster: you never know, where the next turn will be. As in the Hotel and in the Aiport all the story lines intervene, but still are independent. The major part of the story covers the year after the demise of the FMA president. FMA is a large banking institution with numerous shareholders and a complicated policy. Yet, Hailey says (through one of his heroes) that ruling it is a kind of housekeeping, because it should be governed by the rules of com ...more
L.  (I've Stopped Counting)
While some things show the age of this book (credit cards with a limit of $50!), others show that old axiom the more things change the more they stay the same is as true as always. Financial houses made of cards, businesses too big to fail - that do, greedy bastards who want even more, while the 99% don't really play much of a role in this story. Sound familiar?
Raunak Ramakrishnan
An Arthur Hailey classic on the innards of the Banking System before the now ubiquitous internet banking. The plot winds its way through counterfeiting, bank heists, phony companies and general corporate culture in the largest banks. A very interesting read.
This book is left of center. Had a good plot that kept my interest. Had some bad language. I wouldn't reccommed you buy it. I read it because it was handy.
Luke Faraone
Amusing, but very dated. Not recommended for the faint of heart, as it contains some pretty heavy stuff.

Good if you're really bored.
Maybe a little outdated, but still a good read. A very informative thriller about banking, fake money, and crimes.
Margaret Boehm
Very good novel once you get past all the info on banking the first couple of chapters.
Aug 07, 2012 Vismay added it
You know, even I am impressionable. I admit that it has been (and will be) my long standing attitude to never ever consider anyone superior to myself. Of course I have been proven wrong a million times over, and in the process I discovered that I am no good; it’s just sheer audacity and tendency to bluster, nothing else. But that attitude helps me a lot to survive in this stiffly competitive world. Having said there, there are people out there who are superior to me and will remain for a long, l ...more
Arthur Hailey had a very peculiar style of writing. His books invariably feature an industry picked up from the potpourri of everyday, chewed up by his adroit mind, and served to the reader as an assortment of all the quintessential elements of a page-turner. Being no different and yet unique in its own right, The Money Changers managed to enthrall me from the announcement of the first demise to the aftermath of the last.

Hailey has tacitly infused flavours of megalomania, pathos and greed with
Paula Dembeck
Dec 11, 2014 June rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: pop
I like the book for its detective-like plot weaved in intricate emotions and against social economical (and religious) background, while having all characters (major and minor) portrayed in depth and vividness to a degree that is both very entertaining and possessing a high moral value. The graphic violence turned me away though, it serves the story. My view is not impartial. For readers who are not well-versed in money subject, the content may bore where details and jargons overflow. If it were ...more
Laura Fong
I found the topic of the book intriguing, since I have never read crime/mystery books involving finance. Perhaps my teenage mind is a bit too young for this book, but no matter; I found the story engaging for the most part, and I was motivated to finish the book throughout. Not sure about the accuracy of the financial matters, but that's a whole other thing. If you have a mind for analysis and an interest in money, definitely pick this book up!
Sebastian González Manrique
Cool. I mean it, just read this book and made me change about the perspective of business and banks subjects. What a shame about Miles Austin's story. I felt sadness for him, but at least Juanita took care of him.
Definitely, Arthur Hailey knew how to keep the interest. This is my third book of him and honestly I'm waiting for a remake of this story, I have a couple of actors in mind that could be good choices for the characters lol.
First read this upon publication in hardcover in 1975. Hailey makes some interesting observations about money and finance, such as:

"In ten years, half - at least - of our present branch banks will have ceased to exist as we know them. We'll retain a few key ones. The rest will be in less-expensive premises, totally automated, with machine tellers, TV monitors to answer queries, and all linked to a computer center."
Ashima Paliwal
Arthur Hailey is one is one of those authors who gives importance to great detail. The first hundred pages of almost all his books are dedicated to describing the industry the novel is about and Money Changers is no exception. He also takes great pain in describing each and every character in great detail. By the end of the book, you know a characters history, his whims and wishes, why does he behave in certain way and what made him the person he is today.

Money Changers revolves around two very
May 15, 2013 Sorcha rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2006
Another widereaching story from Hailey, this time dealing with banks.

It's a little dated (written around 1975, and just after Watergate), but the underlying principles are still the same - the moving of money, the gold standard, the
Even though the story is set in 1970's much before the arrival of ATM'S.The ATM machines do find mention in this novel. It seems apart from technology,nothing much has changed in Banking and human greed. Well researched and well written.goes on to prove why Arthur Hailey is one of the best writers of our times.
Arthur Hailey ... went in depth into the banking industry, I am sure it took him a great deal of time and research to build this masterpiece.
This book is not only a novel of fiction and suspense, more than that it is so informative that it takes the reader into a full industry and uncovers a lot of its aspects.
Some chapters include violence ... but I highly recommend this book.
Krishna Kumar
The workings of a bank and the internal politics that govern its lending decisions. Extremely outdated since the de-regulation of the industry and arrival of new banks in today's information technology age. The human relationship angle still makes for some good reading.
Gowthaman Natarajan
A good insights on banking industry with water tight screenplay! What surprised me more was the timing of the book it was written! When we move to compulsory CSR and stuffs only in 21st century, in 1960 he has written about CSR and board room brawl etc...
Vineeth Kartha
A very interesting story about a bank and the people surrounding it. At some point I felt that the book is similar to the movie "Shawshank redemption" but I was wrong.
Sai Vignesh Krishnamoorthy
The book is divided into three parts, in the middle of which divulges into two separate lines, and ends at a point where they both meet in an unpredictable way. Unlike other authors in this genre, Hailey manages to fastidiously describe his characters, including their background stories, without boring us. It would be disgraceful to spill out the plot and spoil the whole reading experience, but if you get a chance to read this book, just go ahead and do it. You wouldn't regret.

If you enter a ba
The book is a treat to anyone who wishes to read some fiction wrapped around the concepts of banking.
Avinash Sagar
This book is ince again a signature of Arthur Hailey, in a way that he exposes, analyses, informs, and entertains the reader of any industry/sector that he choses to write.
All the nitty gritties of bank, white collar red-tapism, hunger for power among bankers, fake currency rackets, and everything under the sun and inside a bank has been mentioned amid a truly intriguing plot.
A must read for all of us- even if with a remote relationship with a bank-to understand what even an inefficient money sy
Paul Losada
It's like Raymond Chandler wrote an instruction manual for how a bank works. Within the exhaustive research for how the institution functions there's a pulpy suspense story woven through it--in some ways, perhaps the only logical suspense story that could arise from the inner workings of a major American bank (at least in the 1970's in which the story takes place). Extremely technical, gleefully violent, and oddly charming in tone like a classic 1940's film, I'm curious to see how Hailey does it ...more
  • No Comebacks
  • The Arrangement
  • Trust Fund
  • The Man
  • Death in Blue Folders (Sigrid Harald, #3)
  • The Clockwork Testament, Or, Enderby's End
  • The Ugly Duchess
  • Dilbert and the Way of the Weasel
  • The Last Frontier
  • A Twist in the Tale
  • Saint Overboard
  • Mama, I Love You
  • Celebrity
  • The Vorpal Blade (Tweed & Co., #19)
  • The Last Hurrah
  • Wall Street: A History: From Its Beginnings to the Fall of Enron
Arthur Hailey was a British/Canadian novelist. After working at a number of jobs and writing part-time, he became a writer full-time during 1956, encouraged by the success of the CBC television drama, Flight into Danger (in print as Runway Zero Eight ). Following the success of Hotel in 1965, he moved to California; followed by a permanent move to the Bahamas in 1969.

Each of his novels has a diff
More about Arthur Hailey...