Detective

Detective

3.78 of 5 stars 3.78  ·  rating details  ·  1,341 ratings  ·  76 reviews
Hours before he is due to set off on a long-delayed and much-deserved vacation with his wife and son, Det.-Sgt. Malcolm Ainslie takes a phone call he would have been better off ignoring. The caller is the chaplain at Florida State Prison, delivering a message from Elroy Doil, the serial murderer Ainslie helped put on the prison's death row. On the eve of his execution, Doi...more
Published July 1st 1997 by Random House Value Publishing (first published December 12th 1991)

To ask other readers questions about Detective, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Detective

Susan
Years and years ago, I read Hailey's Airport and then Hotel and then Wheels and then I forgot about him. His special insight into the industry of his focus is now turned to the business of homicide. And he does an excellent job. Elroy Doil is hours away from the electric chair. He was convicted of one double murder and suspected of many others. He has requested to talk to Detective Malcolm Ainslie before he dies. The book covers the past and the present of this horrible killing spree. The only d...more
Rahul Pinnamaneni
This is the kind of book that you'd call "unputdownable". Fast-paced, wasting the least of tree pulp in describing a dog's ponytail or the sullen expression on the Gibbon's face in a zoo, the author takes you on a ride, letting you know more about Crime Scene Investigation(CSI) than any other author before. The author takes you high as the story unfurls, never letting you down or consider your time a waste. Crime, Duty, Law, Lust and Loneliness intertwine at various degrees in various stages of...more
Nonny
What a disappointment. I had read all his other books in years past and thought all were great.... Saw this one on the library shelf and brought it home to read. Hailey seems to wonder around in this book telling multiple stories that don't hold together well. He rants at the Catholic church unconvincingly, in the middle of this book --- breaking the story up badly. One day I should read one of his others-again----Moneychangers or The Evening News so I don't finish his novels on this bad note.
Corey Tardif
This was an excellent novel, Arthur Hailey is a brilliant author, this is the only book of his that I read, but I intend to read more of his books if I see any that hold my interest, I thought this was a great cop story with great mystery and suspense. I picked this book up at a store that sells used books and I bought it and read in the summer of 2011, and it was probably the best book I read that Summer.
Sanket
the best detective novel i have ever read.....read it for thrilling experience.....
Barbara
As usual, Hailey takes the reader behind the scenes in a given occupation. In this book we see the inner workings of the homicide department of the Miami police force as lived by Detective Malcolm Ainslie. We learn how the detectives operate, from gathering evidence, surveillance and questioning to getting the warrant to make an arrest. As usual in Hailey's novels, the protagonist is personally involved with one of the characters affected by the professional decisions he makes. In this case, he...more
Jen
Once upon a time, I bought a bunch of books on eBay. They promised to send me a box filled with many different titles, and so they did. One of those titles was Detective by Arthur Hailey.

This is the story of a police detective named Malcolm Ainslie who lives and works in Florida. It follows - roughly - the investigation that is launched when a death row inmate confesses to actually having committed a lot more murders. The police had long suspected this, but they hadn't actually been able to hang...more
Sonbums
Okay… I read Arthur Hailey’s “Detective” this wknd… his protagonist is a detective who had lost his faith as a Catholic priest. An interesting read, but I felt somewhat sorry for Mr Hailey, as he used his detective to rail against the church and faith. Mr Hailey had lost his faith in WWII while serving in Cyprus. This was the author’s last novel before he passed away…

The book left me wishing I could have met Mr Hailey before he passed… to chat about the difference between church and faith and s...more
Hilary
It was interesting reading an Arthur Hailey novel in a genre so well-known; most of his books gave an insider's view of specific industries previously kept in the background, and yet how many crime books are there now? Hundreds, if not thousands, of books follow homicide detectives through a complex case and yet there is still something different about this one.

Detective was almost exactly what I expected: a book with a well-researched background, interesting plot with corners and enough charact...more
Diana
Malcolm Ainslie is a homicide detective in Miami. A serial killer has been caught and convicted but there is doubt as to his guilt in all the crimes he has been charged with. Ainslie and his team work on other homicides as well. The job sometimes demands very tedious research and is not always exciting and action packed but results are achieved. The impact of the job is felt not only by the individual detectives but also by their families. It is an interesting insight into how the justice system...more
Scycer
Arthur Hailey.. What can I say..you have done it again. It is remarkable how the author can pick an industry get to know the nitty gritty details and spin a tale. I have read Hotel and Overload and I dont how .. but he has maintained the same intensity here even though the characters are going through the rigour of daily life. The ebb and flow is so natural one does not get tired following it (I mean that it aint like prison break).

Targetting the fundamental morals each proffession brings about...more
Maria
Detectivul este o carte exceptionala, cu o intriga frumoasa si care te prinde si nu o mai poti lasa jos pana nu o termini! Un pic previzibil partea de sfarsit, dar este o carte exceptionala!
Ron Fitzwater
Loved this book, it also has an interesting personal story about how I came to read it.
Linda
Story jumps around a bit, hard to keep track of the plot lines.
Becky
Fast-aced murder mystery by a master storyteller, Arthur Hailey. I would recommend this book.
Aditya Choppa
This is not just another detective book where the protagonist makes absurd claims using far-fetched clues, and somehow most of them come true. This book takes us through the tedious work the detectives have to go through in-order to solve a case. Since the protagonist is a former priest who lost faith, the monologues about faith in God,religion and theological philosophies find a way into the book without deterring the pace of the novel and they don't feel out place. I have to admit that I enjoy...more
Matimate
Arthur Hailey knew how to write a catching plot and when you think that everything is clear, then he put some twist in the plot.However at the end you catch the grand finale and suddenly there is no more pages.
Detective Malcolm Ainslie was the main hero of the book and author gave him more plasticity then any other characters. Ainslie was not only detective but also former catholic priest, which was used as one of the plot movement point. The catching and execution of serial killer Elroy "Anima...more
Naomi
Malcolm Ainslie, a homocide detective for the Miami police department is required to visit the serial killer, Elroy Doil before his execution for the murder. Malcolm who used to be a priest, is asked by Doil to give him forgiveness for the murders. Unable to do that, Malcolm stills listens to Doil's denial of one set of murders he insist he did not committ. This opens up a real question in Ainslie's mind as to what actually happened. Unfortunately, the character of Anislie is used by the author...more
Soumya Prasad
Oh what a thriller this one was!
Tarun
An absolute masterpiece
Anna
Iris
Had not read his books for a long time and found thisone quite a page turner. However his writing on Catholic theology is quite skewed.
Kelvin
It is easy to see why nobody wanted this book. It is quite long, it has multiple plots and bunny trails. It never really gets to the point. However, when it does it is great, but only lasts for a couple of chapters before winding down for a totally weak happily-ever-after ending.

As the title suggests, it is a detective story, bad guys get caught and good stuff happens to bad cops. Read no more.
Tom
One of the better books I have read in a while. I literally only put the book down only to sleep and life functions. Intricate plot with a lot of little twists to keep things interesting. I kinda knew what was going to happen at the end, but I think it was more that I paid attention to the subtle hints doled out over the course of the book. An exciting, fun read.
Ajay Toms
Following the tradition of providing inside info of the protagonist and his profession and then adding a personal peeve; hailey in his last book "the detective" introduces malcolm ainslie a fallen from faith detective who uses logic to great success. A good interwoven story but alas unable to lay my hands on a good copy. Does anyone have a copy?
Michaela Krumlová
Tak tohle byla hodně komplexní věc, příběh utíká dál a dál, rozpitvává se tu každá maličkost, až má člověk pocit, že to s tím původním vůbec nijak nesouvisí. A pak se vše nakonec dokonale spojí. Bohužel ty drastické Haileyho popisy na mě byly občas trochu moc a postava mi na konci taaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaak naštvala.
Michael McFarland
3 1/2 stars. A good story, though so procedural in its telling it might as well be a non-fictional tour through the Miami Homicide Department. I usually like my fiction a little more stylized, but if you like yours to use clear prose and stick to the facts, this book might be just what you're looking for.
Fernanda Martins
Excellent thriller from Arthur Hailey. I couldn't stop reading. The characters are well drawn and coherent, the pacing is good and give the reader a chance to live together with the main character without getting bored with too many technical description on detective's methods of working.
Liz
Aug 20, 2012 Liz rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2011
I have never read anything by the esteemed Arthur Hailey, but would I would read another of his if one crossed my path. This is (obviously) a story about a homicide detective who is compelled to hear the death bed confession of a serial killer that he put on death row.
Bungz
A bit too predictable unlike his other books. Fast-paced, nonetheless. Also, the effort taken to tie loose-ends felt a little too contrived. Liked it, but didn't have the oomph factor that one expects from Hailey. Wasn't as tightly packed.
  • The Eleventh Commandment
  • The Word
  • The Last Hostage
  • Icon
  • The Immaculate Deception (Jonathan Argyll, #7)
  • Obstruction of Justice (Nina Reilly, #3)
  • A Spy's Life
  • The League of Night and Fog
  • Dark Lady
  • Act of Revenge (Butch Karp, #11)
  • Extreme Justice (Ben Kincaid, #7)
  • Guilty Pleasures
  • Reasonable Doubt
  • Fugitive Colors (Sigrid Harald Mysteries #8)
71955
Arthur Hailey was a British/Canadian novelist. After working at a number of jobs and writing part-time, he became a writer full-time during 1956, encouraged by the success of the CBC television drama, Flight into Danger (in print as Runway Zero Eight ). Following the success of Hotel in 1965, he moved to California; followed by a permanent move to the Bahamas in 1969.

Each of his novels has a diffe...more
More about Arthur Hailey...
Airport Hotel Strong Medicine The Moneychangers The Final Diagnosis