Start by marking “The Evening News” as Want to Read:
The Evening News

The Evening News

3.81 of 5 stars 3.81  ·  rating details  ·  1,778 ratings  ·  38 reviews
This passionate, terrifying drama takes us behind the scenes of a great television network faced with mortal dangers and moral challenges as it collides with a smaller but equally potent force--the most feared terrorist group in the Americas. Few writers possess Hailey's ability to combine careful, accurate research with a profound sense of human drama. (Doubleday)
Published July 10th 2001 by Doubleday (first published 1990)

To ask other readers questions about The Evening News, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Evening News

Rose Marcie
This was an awesome book, one of the first few books I read that stuck with me. While books tend to take you into a fantasy world, this one did, but also came with the extra that the fantasy was as realistic as i have ever experienced. Thank you, Art. Rest in peace.
Maynard
Arthur Hailey could not have known when he authored "The Evening News" first published in 1990, how prescient his words would become. "The Evening News" focuses on a terrorist attack in the form of a kidnapping that begins in Larchmont, NY, moves to Hackensack NJ, and end up with a mother, son and father-in-law imprisoned in the jungles of Peru, being held for ransom. However, money is the target of the ransom. Instead, it is the airing on a national TV news station of five video tapes to dissem ...more
Girish Krishnakumar
Hailey's The Evening News is cold, detailed and leaves a taste of "business as usual" callousness. It's an achievement alright, but one that is tough to digest.

Hailey covers several aspects from news gathering, news hour, corporate-network ownership (how relevant!), psychology of terrorism, hostage rescue which leaves the readers believing they are experts in this. The characters of Harry Patridge, Crawford Sloane and the rest do their respective jobs with the Newsroom portrayed as an all consum
Scycer
Even in my previous reviews of other works by Arthur Hailey I have mentioned how beautiful his writing is. But with this work I must add that depth of this story is superb. Tie a national prime time news segment- its host - crashing of a plane (brilliantly covered by another correspondent- show the friction between the news host and correspondent - a terrorist group - corporate and media ties- human lives and their loves plus international incidents and you have a complex work of art.

Reading th
Dianne Estes
Really enjoyed it. An older book but a good read. Enjoyed the suspense and the development of the relationships without any overt sex or foul language. To bad so many authors today are not good enough writers to tell a good story without sex and bad language.
Hobby
I read the translation edition by Binarupa Aksara (4 books) | cannot find the ISBN or detail from the publisher

more about this book, just check my complete review at here :
( http://my-mystery-readings.blogspot.c... )
Serhiy
Книга-детектив, яка познайомить з роботою ТВ ЗМІ, організацією викрадення людей, бойовиками, наркокартелями, країною Перу. Другий роман Хейлі прочитав - обоє сподобались. Хоча розв'язка не така оптимістична, як могло бути.
Iva Endrychová
Páni, tohle číst poté, co si člověk prošel redakcí jedné nejmenované soukromé televize, byla síla. Když si člověk uvědomí, kdy to bylo psané, tak mnoho věcí už bohužel neplatí. Ale ten souboj ekonomické zájmy investora vs. objektivní a kvalitní zpravodajství... Dost dobrý.
Paula Dembeck
This books links the Medelin drug cartel with the violent mercenaries of the “shining path”, a Maoist terrorist group that kidnaps the family of a TV anchorman. The TV anchor’s wife Jessica, son Nicky and father-in-law Angus are smuggled in coffins to Peru, then marched to a steaming remote jungle village. Back in the US, Harry Partridge Jessica’s former lover, spearheads an investigation that the network’s parent company Globanic Industries tries to hamper.

I agree the plot was very predictable,
Hashim
Arthur Hailey's does his research better than any author i have ever seen. This book is on top of my top 10 books of all time.
Maria Hench
Most of this is fast-paced, just like old-school newsrooms. I couldn't put this book down, even though the outcome was predictable and the motive for the kidnappings seemed weak. Interesting to look back at journalism and terrorism in the late 80s.
Prakash Karunamoorthi
A page Turner and very detailed observation on every aspects like kidnapping, news channel, terrorism.
J. Ewbank
Anything Arthur Hailey has written I have enjoyed. He takes the time to make sure of the topic he is presenting and he presents information as well as an outstanding novel. This type of work is almost unique in my experience and I am grateful to him for writing in this manner. The research is superb and he weaves it into the plot so well you are unaware of the the effort which lies behind it.

A good read.

J. Robert Ewbank author "John Wesley, Natural Man, and the 'Isms'"
Kanika
May 20, 2008 Kanika rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: everyone
I liked this book though it got a wee bit gruesome in the end. The story is fantastic but there is a part in the book where they cut off 2 fingers of a boy and then send it to his father..... that was sort of sick.... and i didn't sleep for 2 days because of that!!
I was a bit younger then and now i can read anything however gruesome it is... also i didn't like one part when they kill the protagonist of the book even when there was no need...
Sorcha
Sep 26, 2013 Sorcha rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2008
This is one of the better ones from Hailey, with plenty of background story, lots of threads being pulled together and a believable level of big corporation workings. [return][return]Set around the workings of a TV newsroom, this has the workings from the top to the bottom of how to get an evening News programme to air (long before 24 hour TV was invented), and what people would do to get - or be - the story
Dan Leiske
This book ebbed and flowed for me. Some parts you couldn't put it down and in others it was tough to stay awake. All in all it was a decent read. I believe that I learned a little about the News Business. I think Hailey does that with a lot of subjects. He gives you some insight into the business itself. I personally like that.
Marlene
A newscaster's family is kidnapped by terrorists. The story follows the news crew doing their own investigation, their interaction (or lack thereof) with the FBI, and the wheels that turn within a news organization. Very intriguing and suspenseful.
Nancy
Standard espionage/adventure book, with an added twist of corporate owned network news. Behind-the-scenes intrigue of network news, including principal journalists, producers, and sources of information were interesting.
Kelly
famous news reporter's family is kidnapped by Columbian drug lords. I liked the background info about news bulletins and the world of media. The rest of the story is predictable.
Charles
I liked it, seemed well researched and kept my attention. The end was a little disappointing - it seemed to end suddenly, and no follow up.
Chandrika
Gives u an insight into how news channels function. How some people risk their lives for what we consider as "2 min headline"
Iryna
Beautiful book. As every other book by Arthur Hailey. Though half-through I already knew who would die in the end. :)
Ix Cepeda
Perfectly captures the pace of broadcast news reporting, in front and behind the camera.
Ultraban
Arthur Hailey touches the world of journalism in this entertaining and educating book.
Erin
Good book. Nice plot line, but the ending wrapped up a little quickly.
Kathy Chung
not as good as airport, hotel, moneychanger and overload. acceptable read
Vicky
Sep 01, 2010 Vicky rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2010
A little suspence is good now and then. Hailey delivers.
Manoj
one of the first truly 'unputdownable' books i ever read.
Roman
probably the first thriller book I've ever read
  • Bahama Crisis
  • Mama, I Love You
  • The Arrangement
  • Pejsek a kočička
  • Hruškadóttir (Islandská novela)
  • Labyrint světa a ráj srdce
  • First Among Equals
  • Плаха
  • Seawitch
  • The Lazarus Child
71955
Arthur Hailey was a British/Canadian novelist. After working at a number of jobs and writing part-time, he became a writer full-time during 1956, encouraged by the success of the CBC television drama, Flight into Danger (in print as Runway Zero Eight ). Following the success of Hotel in 1965, he moved to California; followed by a permanent move to the Bahamas in 1969.

Each of his novels has a diff
More about Arthur Hailey...
Airport Hotel Strong Medicine The Moneychangers The Final Diagnosis