Start by marking “The Power of Story: Rewrite Your Destiny in Business and in Life” as Want to Read:
The Power of Story: Rewrite Your Destiny in Business and in Life

The Power of Story: Rewrite Your Destiny in Business and in Life

3.77 of 5 stars 3.77  ·  rating details  ·  153 ratings  ·  20 reviews
In his groundbreaking new book, Dr. Jim Loehr, New York Times bestselling coauthor of The Power of Full Engagement, examines the way we tell stories about ourselves to ourselves -- and, most important, the way we can change those stories to transform our business and personal lives.

"Your story is your life," says Loehr. As human beings, we continually tell ourselves stori

Published September 18th 2007 by Free Press (first published 2007)

To ask other readers questions about The Power of Story, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Power of Story

Merrick
Jim Loehr describes how stories create meaning for our lives and provide context for our experiences. Most notably, the stories we tell to and about ourselves create our destiny.

Loehr asserts that individuals must create new stories and those stories can only become reality with full engagement, including one’s physical, mental, emotional, and spiritual energy. To become fully realized, new stories must become unconscious habits and rituals grounded in concrete definable outcomes.

I was particul...more
Jen
I was initially disappointed that this book focused so much on business or work performance. However, in the later part of the book, I saw how what he was proposing, his fundamental tenet, that we focus on energy (that is, health) rather than time, would be revolutionary if it were implemented on a wide scale. The work place would change drastically. The structure, the simplistically punative systems, the oversight, all of these things would have to change to accommodate the well-being of the pe...more
Kate
This is funny because the title, in big letters on both the cover and the title page is: The Power of STORY: Rewrite your destiny in Business and in Life. Maybe the title got changed between publications.

I truly loved this book, and I can feel myself already changing in small ways to achieve what I want out of my life.
Handaka mukarta
jangan remehkan kekuatan dan potensi dibalik suatu cerita, melalui narasi yang disusunnya, manusia membangun dunia dan kehidupannya. kira-kira begitu intisari buku ini.

" Ceritamu adalah Hidupmu". Bagi Dr Loehr, cerita berbicara banyak tentang kepribadian manusia. Melalui cerita, seseorang menyusun kembali kehidupannya. Baik keberhasilan ataupun kegagalan. kisah sukacita ataupun duka cita. Pengharapan manusia dan kekawatirannya. Manusia selalu memiliki cerita tentang pekerjaan, keluarga, karir, r...more
Toby
This is a good book with a lot of down to earth ideas. In some ways, it seems to be the practical side of a lot of the ideas that move through therapy and self-help circles. Therapy minus the touchy-feely stuff that makes it harder for a lot of people to swallow. In essence, stop telling yourself lies, tell yourself the truth and take action! Also, I like the practical way that Loehr helps to make that happen. A lot of books have a lot of ideas, but no good ways to implement them in your life. T...more
Deepak Chaudhary
I liked this book but not as much as his other one "The power of full engagement" which was just amazing. but the book was great still it was a bit boring for a bit atleast that is what I thought but it was quite informative and provided an awesome way to look at your own life and evaluate whether at the end of your life you would consider yourself a success " In your own eyes .... according to what your values are". the book explains how in the eyes of others and even your eyes you could be a s...more
Sandi
Just skimmed this book in several hours and downloaded the 8 Steps of Storyboarding the Transformation Process.

The basic premise is that we need to be honest with ourselves about what our story really is before we can make meaningful changes in our lives. You must create your ultimate mission, or the purpose; what moves you to action.

Your inner voice matters - need to give yourself positive self-talk.

We should focus more on energy rather than time. Eat healthy and exercise to maximize your ener...more
Marcus Solberg
Somewhat interesting concept, but could have been explained fully in a few pages rather than filling a whole book.
Nick
The Power of Story is really a mis-titled self-help book about how positive thinking can change your life for the better. Loehr tells the reader to make up a new story about herself in order to change the future. If you've been unable to get ahead, for example, it's probably because you tell yourself, 'I can't get ahead'. So change your story to -- wait for it -- 'I can get ahead'. It seems like a forced use of the concept of story, though all the self help is no doubt good stuff.
Zsolt
I read this book number of times and I have approached several people to do the writing exercise with. For years, everyone who picked up the book in my circles told me it is great, and how much they are interested to read it. To date nobody ever followed through with the writing exercises that I know of. Presently I am working on the exercises alone and still looking for an equally or more motivated person than I to do the work, laid out by Dr. Loehr.
Taylor Cline
I listen to this on tape and the author had a very annoying way of telling a story. Yes irony from a book about story. But the book is about presenting yourself in a better light, to you and others around you. Especially using positive motivation to move yourself toward your goals. I just didn't enjoy the presentation of the book.
Lily
mostly a lot of thought and not a lot of action. I don't need any help doing that. not really a business book, more like a self-help / reflection book. for people who don't know what their lives are about. such as twenty year olds.
Stefanie
I "read" this as an audio book. It almost tried to cover *too* much, but it was good nonetheless if you like self-motivation sort of books that will offer you a new perspective on how you manage your thinking and your life.
Joseph Serwach
Great main point and he has some great insights up front plus a little good research but then he drifts into ``self help.'' If you like self help, some good advice.
L8start
Just OK, some useful insights and suggestions. This book comes from a "just do it mentality" which is fine sometimes. Not a life-changing read for me.
Erika
were some good parts about how athletes train to win!
Ann
I guess I did not learn much. I cannot remember it.
Alberto Filos
Jul 07, 2008 Alberto Filos marked it as to-read
This is in my pipeline for this year...
Kevin Miller
Kat
Kat added it
Oct 23, 2014
Cynthia Crossland
Cynthia Crossland marked it as to-read
Oct 21, 2014
Igor
Igor marked it as to-read
Oct 20, 2014
Kathleen
Kathleen marked it as to-read
Oct 15, 2014
Bob
Bob marked it as to-read
Oct 06, 2014
Blue Beyond
Blue Beyond marked it as to-read
Oct 01, 2014
The Pragmatist 1 1 Mar 09, 2014 07:52AM
  • The Way We're Working Isn't Working: The Four Forgotten Needs That Energize Great Performance
  • The Story Factor: Inspiration, Influence, and Persuasion through the Art of Storytelling
  • Tell to Win: Connect, Persuade, and Triumph with the Hidden Power of Story
  • The Irresistible Offer: How to Sell Your Product or Service in 3 Seconds or Less
  • Maxwell 3-In1 Special Edition: The Winning Attitude, Developing the Leaders Around You, Becoming a Person of Influence
  • Changing Minds: The Art And Science of Changing Our Own And Other People's Minds
  • World Wide Rave: Creating Triggers That Get Millions of People to Spread Your Ideas and Share Your Stories
  • Presenting to Win: The Art of Telling Your Story
  • Brains on Fire: Igniting Powerful, Sustainable, Word of Mouth Movements
  • My So-Called Freelance Life: How to Survive and Thrive as a Creative Professional for Hire
  • Social Media 101: Tactics and Tips to Develop Your Business Online
  • The Career Guide for Creative and Unconventional People
  • The Collaborative Habit: Life Lessons for Working Together
  • Career Renegade: How to Make a Great Living Doing What You Love
  • The Three Laws of Performance: Rewriting the Future of Your Organization and Your Life
  • Lead with a Story: A Guide to Crafting Business Narratives That Captivate, Convince, and Inspire
  • Everyday Survival: Why Smart People Do Stupid Things
  • One Small Step Can Change Your Life: The Kaizen Way
Loehr, James
Loehr, James E.
Loehr, Jim.
Loehr, Jim, Ph. D.

See other Author Profile: James E. Loehr
More about Jim Loehr...
The Power of Full Engagement: Managing Energy, Not Time, Is the Key to High Performance and Personal Renewal The Only Way to Win The Power of Story: Change Your Story, Change Your Destiny in Business and in Life On Form: Managing Energy, Not Time, Is the Key to High Performance, Health and Happiness Power Of Full Engagement:  2005 Day To Day (Day To Day)

“And what’s the point of doing something just to do it?” 0 likes